which person is it better to read a book in

Posted in the Books Forum

Comments
1 - 9 of 9 Comments Last updated Apr 8, 2013

“like screwing a warm apple pie”

Since: Dec 12

gateshead

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jan 4, 2013
 
i have been planning a series of book for a long time now and i was just wondering before i start since i have everything planned is it better to be narrated by one of the characters ,this would make it more personel but implies this character wont die {they are a horror btw}) or just a 3rd person view.
thanks.

Since: Jan 13

San Mateo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jan 7, 2013
 

Judged:

1

ShyLad21 wrote:
i have been planning a series of book for a long time now and i was just wondering before i start since i have everything planned is it better to be narrated by one of the characters ,this would make it more personel but implies this character wont die {they are a horror btw}) or just a 3rd person view.
thanks.
If you have not yet decided on point-of-view, I strongly suggest that you read further in your genre for options before starting to write. A wrong beginning can trap your narrative part way through.
no Clone

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jan 21, 2013
 
ShyLad21 wrote:
i have been planning a series of book for a long time now and i was just wondering before i start since i have everything planned is it better to be narrated by one of the characters ,this would make it more personel but implies this character wont die {they are a horror btw}) or just a 3rd person view.
thanks.
JMHO
I would not recommend trapping yourself into the first person narrative. It is extremely limited, your details and information will have to be infiltered through one character including "how" they view the setting your will be providing. I understand you want your audience to be shrieking in fear and personalize if not become sympathetic.
You can also twist it, perhaps your character is already dead and not let the audience know, of course avoid the recollection trap or you'll spoil it. It must be real to both.
Just becareful with the first person narrative. It can get boring quite easily and become predictable as your audience comes to know your character. He/She is what they story will be dependant on.

Note: Their are other ways to lure and spellbind your audience and make them fall for your character, e.i. details...

Hope it helps
no Clone

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jan 21, 2013
 
1ishmael wrote:
<quoted text> If you have not yet decided on point-of-view, I strongly suggest that you read further in your genre for options before starting to write. A wrong beginning can trap your narrative part way through.
Unless you're a really good writer and can make a fault into a strength, sometimes it makes for more interesting story writing. Challenge yourself. Don't just toss it or put aside and read something entirely different and it will open your mind to new ideas and perspectives on your own writing and stragty.
JMHO

“like screwing a warm apple pie”

Since: Dec 12

gateshead

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jan 22, 2013
 
Thanks for all the replays im putting allot of thought into like suggested but no clone thanks for the indepth comment when iv been lookin over it once you get to know him he starts to get pradictable thanks again. Still open for more comments thank you

Since: Jan 13

Phnom Penh, Cambodia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jan 22, 2013
 
Good for read.
I do not know

Quakertown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jan 23, 2013
 
ShyLad21 wrote:
Thanks for all the replays im putting allot of thought into like suggested but no clone thanks for the indepth comment when iv been lookin over it once you get to know him he starts to get pradictable thanks again. Still open for more comments thank you
Don't want to mix you up just to clarify one point. Predictability is also a good point for tension. If your audience knows and can predict a characters reaction, it can well be your drive, your pawn in a setting. Some people get a kick out being able to predict a situation but then it turns and twists, that factor they personalize with the character as well. They'll bug out too.

You know what! YOUR confusing me. LOL I was talking to myself. Never mind.

Since: Jan 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jan 24, 2013
 
Buildme_up wrote:
If you want a good ebook to read then here is a good.. Recommendation... go to Amazon and read "How to overcome fear, and start living fearless"
How is that going to help him for his book? It's horror?!

Since: Mar 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 8, 2013
 
everything planned is it better to be narrated by one of the characters ,this would make it more personel but implies this character wont die {they are a horror

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••