Why does the US force legal immigrant...

Why does the US force legal immigrants to get their visas in Ju rez, Mexico's murder capital?

There are 25 comments on the Mother Jones story from Feb 3, 2011, titled Why does the US force legal immigrants to get their visas in Ju rez, Mexico's murder capital?. In it, Mother Jones reports that:

Monica Bosquez managed to "stay positive" most of the time. But in our conversation just days before she left for Ciudad Jurez, the bright and friendly program analyst for the state of Texas broke into tears.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Mother Jones.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

“A Nation of Legal Immigrants”

Since: Nov 07

Lake City Florida,/ Nebraska

#1 Feb 3, 2011
That's what happens when you marry an illegal alien.
Pando

Bullhead City, AZ

#2 Feb 3, 2011
Quote from article~~~~ "The websites say stay away, don't travel there," one woman complained to me. "But for families who are trying to do the right, legal, thing and go through the immigration process, they do not give us any other option."

Oops, sorry Honey, doing the "right, legal, thing" and going through the immigration process should have started before you illegally sneaked across our border.

You had another "option" and that was to apply to migrate to the U.S. legally before you came here. Now you are just another ILLEGAL ALIEN scrambling to adjust your status.

Personally I hope you have to wait 10 years outside the U.S. before you can apply for legal entry.
LOL

Lenoir City, TN

#3 Feb 3, 2011
Mexican Drug cartels are just doing the jobs American DHS/ICE workers won't do. That would be killing Mexicans who illegally enter America. The cartels do a better job of border enforcement than Janet Napolitano does.
Dee Dee Dee

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#4 Feb 3, 2011
The question should be "Why does the Mexican government allow Juarez to be the murder capital of Mexico?" The U.S. government has a 66 million dollar embassy compound and should not be forced to build a new one in a safer part of Mexico to accommodate Mexican citizens because their government cannot protect its citizens. The bottom line is they want more concessions for illegal Mexicans. They are applying for a waiver because they do not want to be barred from the country for 10 years after being caught in the U.S. illegally. They are asking for a law that allows them to stay in the U.S. illegally until they can become legal. Of course if they followed the law in the first place they would not have to apply for an amnesty waiver.
Speeders R Murderers

Roy, WA

#5 Feb 3, 2011
Tell mexico to clean up jurez. I'm so sick of everything wrong with mexico being blamed on americans!!
Kamikaze Komic

Stevens Point, WI

#6 Feb 3, 2011
No one forces them to go to Jurez, that just so happens to be where the one consulate that processes visas is located. You don't like it? Tough luck!
Think of it this way (and I know I'm gonna get a lot of s#!t for this), "Is coming to America worth dying for?" or "Would you die for the chance to become an American?"

Illegal aliens must think it's worth it.
What is needed is a way to show people that being here illegally is not worth the effort but being here legally is.

Since: Jun 10

Location hidden

#7 Feb 3, 2011
No one is forcing anyone! Please what else does the Mexican, illegal population want? Everything delivered to their door step?
It's unfortunate that their Government has allowed this city to become what it is today. Blaming the US Government for this is really outrageous.
As for the statement that..."drug cartels that feed Americans' craving for cocaine, heroin and marijuana." It makes it sound like the entire US population are drug addicts - far from it. It's another attempt to blame Americans for their drug cartels, their murders in C. Juarez and every other thing that is wrong with Mexico.
rja

Mexicali, Mexico

#8 Feb 3, 2011
Speeders R Murderers wrote:
Tell mexico to clean up jurez. I'm so sick of everything wrong with mexico being blamed on americans!!
Let's see if I got this right. There is an insasiable hunger for illegal drugs in the United States. These drugs are produced in various countries, many in Arab countries. The drug producers found that they had a "friendly" country into which to ship their product and, then, ship it on to Miami and New Orleans by way of the Gulf of Mexico. The US did a great job of closing down the Gulf of Mexico so that the Columbian drug lords made contact with some Mexican bad guys and started shipping their product to Mexico and then to the US. Later, the Mexican drug lords decided they no longer needed the Columbians and cut them out of the transport. Meanwhile, the US decided they would declare a "war on drugs" which has done nothing to diminish the thirst for drugs in that country. In fact, drug use has become greater, not less. The Mexican drug lords found that the US customs efforts were weak to non-existant and found all kinds of ways to feed the US market. President Calderon, at the urging of the US, declared war on the drug lords who then found they could purchase any number of guns in the US and fight the Mexican army with better weapons brought in from the US who refused to do anything to curtail the sale of those guns. Yep, sounds like Mexico is blaming all the US ills on the US. And, I guess if you have an escaped convict from, lets say, Folsom prison and takes Interstate 10 to New Orleans, why it must be that dirty filthy Interstate 10 that is to blame! How unbelievably naive and short sighted you must be
rja

Mexicali, Mexico

#9 Feb 3, 2011
It astonished me how racist and how knee jerk the comments are regarding the situation of people that are taking the legal road to permanent residency. Back when unemployment was at an all-time low and there was a real need for cheap, abundant labor, it was ok to turn a blind eye to illegal immigration. You know, "let's do something about that illegal immigration, wink wink. Let's go to Tulsa and guard the border there" Now that Obama has taken this country to almost 10% unemployment, then all those people that were told by our non-action that it was OK to come in are now the source of all evil, trials and tribulations in the US. From what I read, this lady already has her "green card' which gives her legal residence in this country. She is now trying to obtain permanent residence - a legal and worthwhile objective. But, since, as I said, Mexicans are now the source of all evil, we must get rid of them all. Be careful what you wish for. Your group may be next as it was in Germany when Hitler was able to convince the citizenry that Jews were the source of all evil in that country.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#10 Feb 3, 2011
Screw you idiots. I am an American citizen marrying a Mexican national. They are forcing me to interview for her Visa in Ciudad Juarez...the most dangerous city. You would think they would change the location to a more stable Consulate such as Mexico City or a resort town.
Dee Dee Dee

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#11 Feb 3, 2011
rja wrote:
<quoted text>
Let's see if I got this right. There is an insasiable hunger for illegal drugs in the United States. These drugs are produced in various countries, many in Arab countries. The drug producers found that they had a "friendly" country into which to ship their product and, then, ship it on to Miami and New Orleans by way of the Gulf of Mexico. The US did a great job of closing down the Gulf of Mexico so that the Columbian drug lords made contact with some Mexican bad guys and started shipping their product to Mexico and then to the US. Later, the Mexican drug lords decided they no longer needed the Columbians and cut them out of the transport. Meanwhile, the US decided they would declare a "war on drugs" which has done nothing to diminish the thirst for drugs in that country. In fact, drug use has become greater, not less. The Mexican drug lords found that the US customs efforts were weak to non-existant and found all kinds of ways to feed the US market. President Calderon, at the urging of the US, declared war on the drug lords who then found they could purchase any number of guns in the US and fight the Mexican army with better weapons brought in from the US who refused to do anything to curtail the sale of those guns. Yep, sounds like Mexico is blaming all the US ills on the US. And, I guess if you have an escaped convict from, lets say, Folsom prison and takes Interstate 10 to New Orleans, why it must be that dirty filthy Interstate 10 that is to blame! How unbelievably naive and short sighted you must be
So it is the fault of the U.S. that drugs are smuggled into the country to supply the 10 million illegal Mexicans and their anchor babies that live here but it is also the fault of the U.S. that guns are smuggled from the U.S. into Mexico.
So why does Mexico not do anything to prevent the guns from being smuggled into Mexico and drugs being smuggled out?
Maybe you can also explain why the drug cartels are run by and staffed by former Mexican military and police and how this is also the fault of the U.S.
Funny how Mexicans are always the inocent victims.
Dee Dee Dee

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#12 Feb 3, 2011
AlbertEPT wrote:
Screw you idiots. I am an American citizen marrying a Mexican national. They are forcing me to interview for her Visa in Ciudad Juarez...the most dangerous city. You would think they would change the location to a more stable Consulate such as Mexico City or a resort town.
Why should the U.S. taxpayer have to pay to move a 66 million dollar facility because the Mexican government refuses to curtail the violence? Who is going to guarantee that what ever corrupt Mexican city it is moved to will be any safer than Juarez?
Stop blaming the U.S. for Mexico’s crime and corruption.

Location hidden

#13 Feb 3, 2011
"Dee Dee Dee"

So..us AMERICAN taxpayers are paying BILLIONS of dollars to reconstruct Iraq which has still not stabilized itself...

However, we are not going to invest in our neighbors? I guarantee you if you invest billions in Mexico, illegal immigration would be non-existent.

Yes, Mexico is a sovereign nation and should be self-sufficient. However, shouldn't we offer assistant instead of turning our backs? Do you think Mexicans with money would like to live in the US? They don't even take vacations here. And they are eligible for Visas.

Educate yourself and find out where OUR tax dollars are going. You would find out very quickly that investing in Mexico would offer a better return than some of the policies we currently have in place.
Dee Dee Dee

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#14 Feb 3, 2011
AlbertEPT wrote:
"Dee Dee Dee"
So..us AMERICAN taxpayers are paying BILLIONS of dollars to reconstruct Iraq which has still not stabilized itself...
However, we are not going to invest in our neighbors? I guarantee you if you invest billions in Mexico, illegal immigration would be non-existent.
Yes, Mexico is a sovereign nation and should be self-sufficient. However, shouldn't we offer assistant instead of turning our backs? Do you think Mexicans with money would like to live in the US? They don't even take vacations here. And they are eligible for Visas.
Educate yourself and find out where OUR tax dollars are going. You would find out very quickly that investing in Mexico would offer a better return than some of the policies we currently have in place.
We already do send billions to Mexico every year. 1.4 billion a year in direct aid to Mexico has not helped. 21.2 billion a year in remittances has not helped. Allowing 10% of the population of Mexico to sneak illegally in to the U.S. and live off of our tax dollars has not helped. A 61 billion dollar trade deficit with Mexico has not helped. All in all the United States already gives Mexico over 100 billion a year and they still want more.
Paying somebody to keep them from harassing you is called extortion. Once you pay an extortionist they always want more. It seems to be a Mexican tradition.
SOY YO

Hollywood, FL

#15 Feb 3, 2011
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
We already do send billions to Mexico every year. 1.4 billion a year in direct aid to Mexico has not helped. 21.2 billion a year in remittances has not helped. Allowing 10% of the population of Mexico to sneak illegally in to the U.S. and live off of our tax dollars has not helped. A 61 billion dollar trade deficit with Mexico has not helped. All in all the United States already gives Mexico over 100 billion a year and they still want more.
Paying somebody to keep them from harassing you is called extortion. Once you pay an extortionist they always want more. It seems to be a Mexican tradition.
Sadly there is much corruption in Mexico and has been since it was called Mexico .
We he people suffer so we have no choice but to come here.
Dee Dee Dee

Lake Hiawatha, NJ

#16 Feb 3, 2011
SOY YO wrote:
<quoted text>
Sadly there is much corruption in Mexico and has been since it was called Mexico .
We he people suffer so we have no choice but to come here.
Sadly it is the honest Americans and immigrants who suffer when criminals sneak into the U.S. That is why we have no choice but to stop them.
Tehuantepec172

Katy, TX

#17 Feb 3, 2011
AlbertEPT wrote:
I am in your exact position. I am a Texan, born and raised and was working in Mexico City the past few years where I met and married my wife. We married on Mexico soil so that her family could participate as well, my USA family having the rights to travel back and forth that most Americans take for granted because they are uninformed on the processes and privileges. We did the right thing in my view of getting married just to find out that the ONLY places Visa petitions are accepted for spouses/families is in Juarez??? So here I am more than 1/2 way through the LEGAl immigration process and not looking forward to a trip down there as I feel it's risking our lives for my supposed "right" to a "pursuit of happiness". I mention that loosely before anyone gets worked up. Am I pissed that I have to expose my family to the B.S. going on in Juarez due to unchanging red tape and govt. policies on both sides of the border? You better believe it. And there' is not a witty, erudite or [expletive deleted ] comment out there form any of you thats going to change that. MOVE the gd consulate for FAMILY applications - there are multiple alternatives within Mexico. Oh, but don't take my word for it - try something unique like research and reading...you'll see what I mean.

Location hidden

#18 Feb 3, 2011
Tehuantepec172 wrote:
<quoted text>
I am in your exact position. I am a Texan, born and raised and was working in Mexico City the past few years where I met and married my wife. We married on Mexico soil so that her family could participate as well, my USA family having the rights to travel back and forth that most Americans take for granted because they are uninformed on the processes and privileges. We did the right thing in my view of getting married just to find out that the ONLY places Visa petitions are accepted for spouses/families is in Juarez??? So here I am more than 1/2 way through the LEGAl immigration process and not looking forward to a trip down there as I feel it's risking our lives for my supposed "right" to a "pursuit of happiness". I mention that loosely before anyone gets worked up. Am I pissed that I have to expose my family to the B.S. going on in Juarez due to unchanging red tape and govt. policies on both sides of the border? You better believe it. And there' is not a witty, erudite or [expletive deleted ] comment out there form any of you thats going to change that. MOVE the gd consulate for FAMILY applications - there are multiple alternatives within Mexico. Oh, but don't take my word for it - try something unique like research and reading...you'll see what I mean.
I couldn't have said it better! We are doing things the legal way and are exposing ourselves to the most dangerous city in North America. It's almost tempting to pay a coyote 5 grand to sneak a loved one across.

There is such a high risk of being caught in the crossfire in Juarez. Also, how can you trust the cab driver when you arrive from the airport? How do you know he's not going to rob or possibly murder you?

This is a United States Consulate where Americans receive services as well. It is absurd that they put us in so much danger.

It is our AMERICAN RIGHT to marry whoever we choose. So people can't tell me to suck it up. That response is not valid.

Location hidden

#19 Feb 3, 2011
Dee Dee Dee wrote:
<quoted text>
OK..this article was about putting US Citizens and Mexicans in harm’s way in order to receive services from the US Consulate. We are going way off topic here.

I’m not blaming the US for Mexico’s corruption. I am not going to lie that Mexico is not corrupt. However, many US CITIZENs utilize this facility.

The following are examples of a US citizen being forced to visit Ciudad Juarez:

(1) They are married to a Mexican national and want to fix their papers

(2) They are engaged to a Mexican national and want to cross them

(3) They had a child in Mexico and want to make them a citizen

Just because I want to marry a Mexican national, I have to visit North America’s most dangerous city?

Let me guess your next response…”Why don’t you marry a US Citizen or legal resident?”

Well, love happens. I happened to take a vacation in Mexico and met the girl of my dreams. Why would I let her go?
We’re awaiting her interview in Ciudad Juarez and I am dreading every moment.

Is it fair to put my life on the line because of bureaucratic red tape and America’s anti-immigrant stance as of late?
We should at least make exceptions for US citizens. Anyways, your negative opinion of Mexico won’t change. People will continue to breed hate. I am out of this discussion because I’m only wasting time. Take care!
Pando

Bullhead City, AZ

#20 Feb 3, 2011
Tehuantepec172 wrote:
<quoted text>
Your right to marry who you choose doesn't mean you also have the right to expect taxpayers to foot the bill for a new office. The Consulate office cost $66 million.

In addition to the $550 million in miscellaneous aid we give Mexico every year, in 2008 we pledged $1.4 billion to Mexico to help combat drug cartels.

Last month Secretary of State Hillary Clinton announced $500 million in additional aid in 2011 to assist Mexico's fight against organized crime.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Boat Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The M/V Taku. Jun '17 Linda 1
News Lessons on tourism at the resort that Hugh built (Mar '14) Mar '14 DennisThe Menance 2
News TMC '14 Lines Garner 'Strong Dealer Response' (Nov '13) Nov '13 Savant 1
News U.S. recreational boating industry associations... (Nov '13) Nov '13 Savant 1
News Top Motorhome Manufacturer Promotes Grimm to Na... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Class-C-Motorhomes 1
News Thor Motor Coach the #1 Selling motorhome brand (Mar '12) Mar '12 Illinois State RV... 3
News Thor Motor Coach claims 31 percent jump in mark... (Sep '11) Sep '11 Jason 1
More from around the web