Sikh kids who want haircut

Since: May 11

Location hidden

#1 May 23, 2011
Ok so im a sikh who has his hair mainly because of pressure from his parents. In other words either i keep it or get kicked out. I wanna know your stories about your haircuts or about your plans to get a haircut... like how are you being pressured and what not. And please don't post smart to ass comments trying to explain Sikhism. leave me to my own beliefs im 19 i can make my own decisions.
mark

Canada

#2 Jun 6, 2011
learn about sikhi and why we keep our first then decidee..
Manvir

Coquitlam, Canada

#3 Sep 4, 2011
Mark he asked about ur haircut story.. not ur criticism
aquapop

Torquay, UK

#5 Dec 30, 2011
I'm being forced to keep my hair, I hate it. I was born in a stupid family- they call themselves sikh, but are just like everyone else- not spiritual, dont keep any other "k" e.g. kacha etc, my dads dead, and my mum and sister cut their hair, eyebrows etc, but force me to keep it

I hate it. I personally am an athiest, I believe in science and evidence. There is no such thing as god, and even if there was why should i not cut my hair- why do I have to be sikh, why can't I be any other religion- every other religion has cut their hair so are they all going to hell.

Since human history began people have cut their hair. Religion is man made.

Ive asked my mum to let me cut it. She said If I do she's going to kill herself, because she wants her "son" to be "Holy".

Im tired of this stupid bullshit. If I CUT MY HAIR, SHE WILL KILL HER SELF. SO IVE DECIDED TO KILL MYSELF INSTEAD. NOT lying, everything in my life is crap, and I dont want to have a beard or a turban. No point of living, Ill never make it happy through life. I want to be a scientist/biochemist or physicst but no one will take me seriously in science, ainly because I dont believe in god but am still keeping a turban because Im being forced.

Ive decided by July 2012, maximum, I wouldve killed myself.

Thanks for reading- might be my last post ever.
aquapop

Torquay, UK

#6 Dec 30, 2011
jas110 wrote:
Ok so im a sikh who has his hair mainly because of pressure from his parents. In other words either i keep it or get kicked out. I wanna know your stories about your haircuts or about your plans to get a haircut... like how are you being pressured and what not. And please don't post smart to ass comments trying to explain Sikhism. leave me to my own beliefs im 19 i can make my own decisions.
I'm being forced to keep my hair, I hate it. I was born in a stupid family- they call themselves sikh, but are just like everyone else- not spiritual, dont keep any other "k" e.g. kacha etc, my dads dead, and my mum and sister cut their hair, eyebrows etc, but force me to keep it

I hate it. I personally am an athiest, I believe in science and evidence. There is no such thing as god, and even if there was why should i not cut my hair- why do I have to be sikh, why can't I be any other religion- every other religion has cut their hair so are they all going to hell.

Since human history began people have cut their hair. Religion is man made.

Ive asked my mum to let me cut it. She said If I do she's going to kill herself, because she wants her "son" to be "Holy".

Im tired of this stupid bullshit. If I CUT MY HAIR, SHE WILL KILL HER SELF. SO IVE DECIDED TO KILL MYSELF INSTEAD. NOT lying, everything in my life is crap, and I dont want to have a beard or a turban. No point of living, Ill never make it happy through life. I want to be a scientist/biochemist or physicst but no one will take me seriously in science, ainly because I dont believe in god but am still keeping a turban because Im being forced.

Ive decided by July 2012, maximum, I wouldve killed myself.

Thanks for reading- might be my last post ever.
NoID

Epping, Australia

#7 Jan 23, 2012
aquapop wrote:
I'm being forced to keep my hair, I hate it. I was born in a stupid family- they call themselves sikh, but are just like everyone else- not spiritual, dont keep any other "k" e.g. kacha etc, my dads dead, and my mum and sister cut their hair, eyebrows etc, but force me to keep it
I hate it. I personally am an athiest, I believe in science and evidence. There is no such thing as god, and even if there was why should i not cut my hair- why do I have to be sikh, why can't I be any other religion- every other religion has cut their hair so are they all going to hell.
Since human history began people have cut their hair. Religion is man made.
Ive asked my mum to let me cut it. She said If I do she's going to kill herself, because she wants her "son" to be "Holy".
Im tired of this stupid bullshit. If I CUT MY HAIR, SHE WILL KILL HER SELF. SO IVE DECIDED TO KILL MYSELF INSTEAD. NOT lying, everything in my life is crap, and I dont want to have a beard or a turban. No point of living, Ill never make it happy through life. I want to be a scientist/biochemist or physicst but no one will take me seriously in science, ainly because I dont believe in god but am still keeping a turban because Im being forced.
Ive decided by July 2012, maximum, I wouldve killed myself.
Thanks for reading- might be my last post ever.
May Waheguru Ji pull you away from thinking of any suicidal attempt. Please don't! Do you think your mother will be able to licks happily? Instead of giving up, talk to her! Tell her how you feel. Surely she loves her son enough to let him cut his hair rather than lose him forever. Please! Talk to her and don't do anything stupid.
jasmeet singh

Mumbai, India

#8 Jan 23, 2012
aquapop wrote:
I'm being forced to keep my hair, I hate it. I was born in a stupid family- they call themselves sikh, but are just like everyone else- not spiritual, dont keep any other "k" e.g. kacha etc, my dads dead, and my mum and sister cut their hair, eyebrows etc, but force me to keep it
I hate it. I personally am an athiest, I believe in science and evidence. There is no such thing as god, and even if there was why should i not cut my hair- why do I have to be sikh, why can't I be any other religion- every other religion has cut their hair so are they all going to hell.
Since human history began people have cut their hair. Religion is man made.
Ive asked my mum to let me cut it. She said If I do she's going to kill herself, because she wants her "son" to be "Holy".
Im tired of this stupid bullshit. If I CUT MY HAIR, SHE WILL KILL HER SELF. SO IVE DECIDED TO KILL MYSELF INSTEAD. NOT lying, everything in my life is crap, and I dont want to have a beard or a turban. No point of living, Ill never make it happy through life. I want to be a scientist/biochemist or physicst but no one will take me seriously in science, ainly because I dont believe in god but am still keeping a turban because Im being forced.
Ive decided by July 2012, maximum, I wouldve killed myself.
Thanks for reading- might be my last post ever.
hey relax bro m 22 n i am goin through the exact bullshit ur goin through.. m not so much on d science front though but i get ur point. i am going to a counsellor-pshycologist tommorrow with my mum to put an end to my days of misery.. i will update my bit shortly.. look killing ur self is not the way out. i faced a similar situation dont chicken out be brave be strong. and if i can work this out i will surely help u too. peace. relax n wait for my post.
Sikhbymind

Brantford, Canada

#9 Jan 30, 2012
Honestly my dad says things for me to keep my hair. First time i asked to cut my hair is when i was in grade 1. He got a flip-flop and smacked my ass. But then in grade 7, i said the same thing, i want a hair cut. All my cousins got it. But then my dad yelled at me. But then that day i started to shave. My didnt really get mad, but i dont know why. Grade 9, i wanted a haircut really badly, so i told my mom and dad. My mom doesnt care if i get a haircut, but my dad does. So he sais something new. He said if i cut my hair, im kicked out of this house. I scared so i didnt cut it. But what he didnt know, is when im in the shower, i use a razor blade to cut peices of my hair, i used a razor blade so it looks like i didnt even cut it. i did this till in grade 10. In the beginning of my grade 10 i made a whole lot of friends, but the bad thing is, is that the racism is way worse. I had people pull my joorag, touch my turban, threaten me that they will rip off my hair. One day me and mom were alone and i broke down crying that i want a hair cut. She agreed, and she had a plan. My mom already knew that i was cutting my hair in the shower, so she toldd me to cut my hair all the way to my shoulders length, and if my dad threatens to kick me out, she will stop him. So i did what she told me to do, i cut it to my shoulders. my dad found out, and screamed on the top of his lungs, and his face red. he kempt screaming to get out of my house, my mom calmed him down. I was sent to my room, and i just fell asleep. The next day my dad came to me and gave me a rimal, and a prandee, so it looks like i didnt cut my hair at all, to make it look like a have a big joorah. After that day i kept the rimal and prandee on me. But now on i wasnt scared of my dad anymore, because i saw him fully angry already, so if hes angry at me again i wont be a afraid. A couple month has past, and i said to my self, im getting that hair cut one way or another. My hair was still the shoulders lenght. I started using the razor blade and cutting my hair in the shower. My mom found out and told my dad. And my dad told my mom that he did whatever he can do to stop me from cutting my hair. And i realized, he was bluffing of kicking me out. So then i built up my courage and made a plan. and this is how it goes. Today is Tuesday,Jan 31st. Last sunday i made my cousin who is 24 to take me to a barber, she agreed. so then she talked to my mom about it. we made the plan of my haircut next monday (Feb.7)
right after school. I couldve done the haircut yesterday (monday) but my cousin had to go to toronto to do her exams, and she would be back on saturday. So next monday after school, my cousin will be waiting for me in the school parking lot, and we will straight go to the barber. My mom will tell my dad that i had to stay after school to do a after school event. My mom and dad go to work a 4 pm. and my school ends at 3. So when i get my haircut, ill be home around 4:30. My mom and dad will at work, so ill be home by my self with my brother. At 9 o clock my mom will call me to ask how it went through, and usually at 10 my mom and dad talk to each other on the phone, so then my mom will tell my dad that i cut my hair. right when my mom tells him i know he will be mad. then my mom will say what will he do to me. He probably wont do anything but just a slap across the face. then he will just be mad at me for a good couple of weeks. Thats my plan. I built a lot of courage for this. The reason my name is Sickbymind, is because you dont need to be a sikh by having a turban, it means if you beleive in wahe guru, and love wahe guru, in my mind i love waheguru, but in physically i just a haircut. Thats my story, thats my plan, that my family.
someone

Ashburn, VA

#11 Apr 26, 2013
Sikhbymind wrote:
Honestly my dad says things for me to keep my hair. First time i asked to cut my hair is when i was in grade 1. He got a flip-flop and smacked my ass. But then in grade 7, i said the same thing, i want a hair cut. All my cousins got it. But then my dad yelled at me. But then that day i started to shave. My didnt really get mad, but i dont know why. Grade 9, i wanted a haircut really badly, so i told my mom and dad. My mom doesnt care if i get a haircut, but my dad does. So he sais something new. He said if i cut my hair, im kicked out of this house. I scared so i didnt cut it. But what he didnt know, is when im in the shower, i use a razor blade to cut peices of my hair, i used a razor blade so it looks like i didnt even cut it. i did this till in grade 10. In the beginning of my grade 10 i made a whole lot of friends, but the bad thing is, is that the racism is way worse. I had people pull my joorag, touch my turban, threaten me that they will rip off my hair. One day me and mom were alone and i broke down crying that i want a hair cut. She agreed, and she had a plan. My mom already knew that i was cutting my hair in the shower, so she toldd me to cut my hair all the way to my shoulders length, and if my dad threatens to kick me out, she will stop him. So i did what she told me to do, i cut it to my shoulders. my dad found out, and screamed on the top of his lungs, and his face red. he kempt screaming to get out of my house, my mom calmed him down. I was sent to my room, and i just fell asleep. The next day my dad came to me and gave me a rimal, and a prandee, so it looks like i didnt cut my hair at all, to make it look like a have a big joorah. After that day i kept the rimal and prandee on me. But now on i wasnt scared of my dad anymore, because i saw him fully angry already, so if hes angry at me again i wont be a afraid. A couple month has past, and i said to my self, im getting that hair cut one way or another. My hair was still the shoulders lenght. I started using the razor blade and cutting my hair in the shower. My mom found out and told my dad. And my dad told my mom that he did whatever he can do to stop me from cutting my hair. And i realized, he was bluffing of kicking me out. So then i built up my courage and made a plan. and this is how it goes. Today is Tuesday,Jan 31st. Last sunday i made my cousin who is 24 to take me to a barber, she agreed. so then she talked to my mom about it. we made the plan of my haircut next monday (Feb.7)
right after school. I couldve done the haircut yesterday (monday) but my cousin had to go to toronto to do her exams, and she would be back on saturday. So next monday after school, my cousin will be waiting for me in the school parking lot, and we will straight go to the barber. My mom will tell my dad that i had to stay after school to do a after school event. My mom and dad go to work a 4 pm. and my school ends at 3. So when i get my haircut, ill be home around 4:30. My mom and dad will at work, so ill be home by my self with my brother. At 9 o clock my mom will call me to ask how it went through, and usually at 10 my mom and dad talk to each other on the phone, so then my mom will tell my dad that i cut my hair. right when my mom tells him i know he will be mad. then my mom will say what will he do to me. He probably wont do anything but just a slap across the face. then he will just be mad at me for a good couple of weeks. Thats my plan. I built a lot of courage for this. The reason my name is Sickbymind, is because you dont need to be a sikh by having a turban, it means if you beleive in wahe guru, and love wahe guru, in my mind i love waheguru, but in physically i just a haircut. Thats my story, thats my plan, that my family.
i am also victim of the same i can understand your problem
Preet

London, UK

#13 Dec 3, 2013
Cowards
Harmeet

New Westminster, Canada

#14 Jan 27, 2014
God is more of a spiritual being and a spiritual mindset. Guru nanak said himself dont look for god because its not an actual being. You say ur an atheist when science doesnt really affect our beliefs
Gurpreet Singh

Germantown, MD

#15 Feb 28, 2014
There is difference between Spiritual (God) and Religion (Guru). I am spiritual, but religious to an extent. Hair is the biggest issue Sikh people had/have/will be. I got hair cut 8 years back, after keeping for 24 years. And I still think it was the best decision of my life. I can do so much stuff which I used to dream of, whether it's swimming, water sports or in general no hassle of maintaining hairs. It's lot of work, seriously. And for what? I have deep faith in God, and God never tell to keep hair, that's what's why other religion don't enforce. It's a decision of 10th Guru only. Guru Nanak said, he will not follow Janau (holly thread), because it's only external and he believes only in internal believe, so true. His philosophy was so general and rational.
Jashan

Hackensack, NJ

#16 Apr 12, 2014
I feel you
Jashan

Hackensack, NJ

#17 Apr 12, 2014
I want to cut my hair as well mainly because I want to join the army next year and my dad is very strict and I'm afraid of him he already knows I trim my beard but he wasn't so pleased
Someone please help me! P.s I'm 19 going on 20
LiberalSikh

UK

#18 May 10, 2014
Hi All,

I too am going through the same dilemma, to cut or not to cut?
I have made my mind to cut my hair to a large extent now, but I am no worries by another thing.
I have had my hair for more than 24 years now, and I feel my forehead will look way. Too big after cutting my hair, due to all the turban wearing all these years (people who have gone through this would understand what I mean), also I have seen Sikh guys who have cut their hair so late in life do not ever get proper hair grown, one can easily set them apart ( at least a Sikh guy can identify such a guy).

Are my fears unfounded?? Am I thinking overly of this or is it really an issue??

I am afraid I will be left in between - not able to have proper look even after having a hair cut.
I am asking it here because I have no one who can answer this question around me.
Hoping get someone personal account on this, or anyone who can give some or any suggestion are most welcome.
Thanks
Eashar Singh

New Delhi, India

#19 May 26, 2014
Gurpreet Singh wrote:
There is difference between Spiritual (God) and Religion (Guru). I am spiritual, but religious to an extent. Hair is the biggest issue Sikh people had/have/will be. I got hair cut 8 years back, after keeping for 24 years. And I still think it was the best decision of my life. I can do so much stuff which I used to dream of, whether it's swimming, water sports or in general no hassle of maintaining hairs. It's lot of work, seriously. And for what? I have deep faith in God, and God never tell to keep hair, that's what's why other religion don't enforce. It's a decision of 10th Guru only. Guru Nanak said, he will not follow Janau (holly thread), because it's only external and he believes only in internal believe, so true. His philosophy was so general and rational.
If human wishes to be liberated in this lifetime then the path he or she follows is full of pitfalls.In Gurbani the path is described as "as sharp as the edge of sword and as thin as a hair". Since guru nanak dev ' s times it was made compulsory that all sikh had to keep kesh (hair);guru nanak himself administered charan pahul (pre 17th century baptism) to all his followers. This is shown in all historical documents and bhai gurdas's varan,which is considered Gurbani. So,the compulsory nature of kesh (hair) starts with guru nanak dev ji itself. All we have to do is to follow the guru's path. In Gurbani it says ," as a stone placed in a boat can cross over the river ,so is the mortal saved,grasping the hold of guru's feet. Our body is the stone and will sink in the water. Only with guru's help by submitting our full mind and body to him ,can we cross this world ocean and gain liberation.
aksk

Amsterdam, Netherlands

#20 May 31, 2014
I am lost in this world.
The Voice of Truth

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

#21 Nov 28, 2014
17th Century India, Mughals are the dominant powers, at th beggining Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb had a plan to wipe out all sikhs from face of India.
One man, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji sacrifized his four sons. who were aged from 6 to 18. and his four sons understanding Sikhi laid own there lives but never ever gave up on their believes! that on 1699 Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji baptised sheep into lions and gave us an identity, KHALSA. we are able to spot a sikh easily in a crowd of millions because of our turbans!
It is unfortunate that those of you who did not know there occurings ever happended existed!
I've told you my views, but the choice is still in your hands my fellow sikh brothers.
I understand that you fell that ' if my parents dont care why should i?' well dont commit the same mistake as your parents
Brothers
Big decision

UK

#22 Dec 1, 2014
Hi
Im 32 years old and have always worn a turban, everyone from indians to non indians says it suits me but I have decided to cut my hair now. I feel that I'm held back from things like swimming, going to the beach etc as I feel uncomfortable wearing a turban then or hassle managing my hair

To be honest the biggest problem is that I can't grow a full beard and so trim and shave to keep a small line but even then its not good. For years I thought one day it will grow but at 32 it hasn't and I dont think it will now. Ive tried creams and supplements and even saw a specialist dermatologist.

I wanted to know if anyone else at this late stage has cut their hair and how they felt and what made them do it?

This is a MASSIVE step for me, I'm a professional person and respected in family etc. Something just clicked a couple of days ago and Im like I have to do this now

Also, how if you have done this, how did you chose a hair style and how did you pick the barber/salon?

I know their will be some haters out there and negative comments but one life and live as you please. each to their own. God doesn't want me to feel trapped and as though I can't do what I want. Im very spiritual and love Sikhi but dont feel I need to wear a turban to prove this. I see many guys who do all sorts thats classed as 'bad' but have a beard and wear a turban so think they are immune!

Any advice to my questions would be much appreciated

Thanks
Jaskeerat Singh

Grand Rapids, MI

#23 May 15, 2015
I'm getting a haircut this summer in June. Everybody including my dad has a haircut. The only reason I kept mine is because my grandparents who passed away, wanted me to keep them. I loved them very much and respected that they cared about me so much to help me get on the right path from the beginning. But now I understand that even with a haircut, you can still be a Sikh. Both of my parents and the rest of my family understand my decision and are willing to stick by my side. Only one of my aunt and uncles are angry, but I could care less. I'm 14 years old by the way, in 9th grade.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories in the Blogosphere Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Which ethnicity has the most beautiful women (Aug '09) 18 hr Asdfghjkl 433
Are tall and curvy white American girls of germ... 18 hr Asdfghjkl 1
hair cut stories of sikh boys and girls (Sep '09) 19 hr Gold 5,058
Which part of woman's body do men like most? (Jun '12) Thu Loverboy 47
what do white american men think of muslim wome... (Aug '11) Thu Joel 148
Poll Why Do White Women Love Black Men? (Sep '08) Feb 10 UnderstandPeople 2,306
www.copart.com is not a good place to buy a car... (Nov '10) Feb 10 Carol K 429
More from around the web