Optifast 800 calorie diet
Ava

Walnut Creek, CA

#1586 Jan 29, 2010
Hey everyone - well, I am frustrated beyond belief. Last week I lost 3.5 pounds, but this week I am just stuck at the same weight! It seems like, despite strict adherance, it won't budge! Every morning that I have got up and weighed myself it has been the same. Does anyone have any advice for getting out of a rut/revving up the weight loss again?? I know I have already lost over 60 pounds, and maybe my body is just protesting losing anymore right now, but I still have a way to go and need it to get itself in gear! Not to mention, I am going on vacation in 4 weeks and was hoping to be quite a bit less by then.--Ava
Marye

Greer, SC

#1588 Jan 29, 2010
Cathy...
normally Optifast shakes are taken 5x a day = 800 calories.
Ava...
Look back at some of my past posts about changing up calories/shakes. It keeps you from hitting plateaus. When your body gets used to having the EXACT same ting all the time, it becomes very efficient at functioning on a lower calorie level.
Just as trainers tell you to change up your exercise (same reason), change up your calories occasionally to keep the body guessing and keep your metabolism higher. You wn't hear this from the Optifast drs. though. However, when asked by them how I managed NOT to hit a plateau...I told them what I did, and they said it did make a lot of sense.
Also....have you been to the bathroom lately? That makes a difference. Or if you've been drinking too much of the soup (sodium).
Danielle

Trenton, NJ

#1589 Jan 29, 2010
Hi Ava, I agree with Marye, I have been doing that as well. Sometimes I do all shakes, some days I switch out a berry yogurt bar, sometimes I cut a shake, etc. I'm not sure if you have incorporated exercise into your weight loss, but I've been told over and over that a change up in what you do and the intensity at which you do it helps jump-start the metabolism (I'm also taking a woman's vitamin for an active metabolism). I know my body has certain weight markers that I ALWAYS have trouble breaking through, so I'm trying to mentally prepare for when I hit those weights because it seems my body resists for a 'short' time. Maybe that's happening to you as well? I know they say a plateau usually doesn't last longer than 3 weeks, but boy oh boy, does is play with your mind!! For what it's worth, your weight lost was motivating me a great deal yesterday when I found myself worrying that the weight won't come off (I'm dealing with an under-active thyroid condition and my medication isn't correct yet), so please know your success will continue and it will also continue to inspire others like me!!

Keep goin'!! Congrats to you!!
Danielle

Trenton, NJ

#1590 Jan 29, 2010
Hey Everyone, just staying accountable with my weekly numbers..Wednesday was my weekly weigh-in day and I lost 2.5lbs which brings my total to 11 lbs in 2 weeks. I was greatly encouraged by a poster who lost weight while dealing with an under-active thyroid. I have been trying to get my meds regulated for this since December and my thyroid is still very under-active. It will take another 2 months to see if my new dosage is correct. Until then my doctor told me not to expect to lose weight, which was very disheartening to hear. But I'm going forward regardless. I'm believing that although it might be slow going my body will indeed keep dropping weight no matter what.

I always look forward to hearing from all of you, thank you for keeping this forum going. What a source of info and strength!!

Wishing you a day of success!!
Dianna

Des Moines, IA

#1591 Jan 29, 2010
I am so discouraged -- I just finished my first week on Optifast, followed the plan EXACTLY and, according to their scales last night, only lost 2 pounds! All that for only 2 pounds??????!!!!
Marye

Greer, SC

#1592 Jan 29, 2010
Not to minimize your discouragement....but 2 lbs. a week is over 100 lbs. in a year! That's nothing to sneeze at!
:)
People tend to have different weight loss journeys. I've been doing this since the end of August, and found over time that I'll have a lesser week, a greater week, a lesser week, a greater week, etc. Some people lose the same amoun every week. You'll find out what your body does over time.
One of the most important things that Optifast does is "stimulus narrowing". In other words, you get to "take a break from food" during the full-fast portion. This enables you to see food in a completely different light once you start transitioning back to regular food. And that helps A LOT!!
Hang in there, you'll be fine....is it possible that you are constipated? I struggle with that sometimes and that definitely keeps some weight on temporarily.
Keep motivated by reading success stories, etc. and you'll get over this hump.
:)
Twana

Toms River, NJ

#1593 Jan 29, 2010
Dianna wrote:
I am so discouraged -- I just finished my first week on Optifast, followed the plan EXACTLY and, according to their scales last night, only lost 2 pounds! All that for only 2 pounds??????!!!!
Dianna don't give up. We've all been there -- did what we were supposed to and the scale doesn't move the same way every week or for every "body".

How's your water intake and your exercise? Many of the bloggers confirm that "water and exercise" are key to success. On the weeks that I've been consistent with the program, I usually get in 96-100 ounces of water a day if I keep my bottle full and keep sipping -- and on average I get a moderate workout in about 4 days a week.

But the body will still do what it needs to do -- sometime larger losses, sometimes small with inches lost, sometime more internal repair than weight loss. So keep up the good work and you will see that loss.

Good Success to You!
Twana

Toms River, NJ

#1594 Jan 29, 2010
Marye wrote:
Not to minimize your discouragement....but 2 lbs. a week is over 100 lbs. in a year! That's nothing to sneeze at!
:)
People tend to have different weight loss journeys. I've been doing this since the end of August, and found over time that I'll have a lesser week, a greater week, a lesser week, a greater week, etc. Some people lose the same amoun every week. You'll find out what your body does over time.
One of the most important things that Optifast does is "stimulus narrowing". In other words, you get to "take a break from food" during the full-fast portion. This enables you to see food in a completely different light once you start transitioning back to regular food. And that helps A LOT!!
Hang in there, you'll be fine....is it possible that you are constipated? I struggle with that sometimes and that definitely keeps some weight on temporarily.
Keep motivated by reading success stories, etc. and you'll get over this hump.
:)
Hey Mayre -- Happy Friday. You and I were both writing to Dianna at the same time :-) Thanks for your post, the reminder about constipation is a good one. Since I have been on this plan that has been a constant challenge even though I add fiber and senna daily. What works for you?
Marye

Greer, SC

#1595 Jan 29, 2010
When I first started Optifast, I had the exact OPPOSITE problem...bad!!!! Then about 2 months into it, it switched to constipation...bad again!!
:(
I just end up taking Miralax about 1-2x per week. It's not as bad now since I'm eating some salad, but I think I need to pick up the water intake! I drink a lot, but it tends to be hot tea(decaf,so it still counts) since I stay so cold all the time.
Water is probably still better for the constipation though, I think.
:/
Oh well.....back to God's drink. LOL!
Danielle

Trenton, NJ

#1596 Jan 29, 2010
Quick Question- is it okay to use (Nestle's) Coffeemate Non-Dairy creamer in coffee (I believe it's 10 calories a tsp and not much else seems to be in it)? Thanks!
Marye

Greer, SC

#1597 Jan 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to have it. It may even have some carbs in it? Check with your center....or are you doing this on your own?
Danielle

Trenton, NJ

#1598 Jan 30, 2010
Marye wrote:
I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to have it. It may even have some carbs in it? Check with your center....or are you doing this on your own?
I'm doing it on my own..it says Total Carbs 1g/0%. I guess I won't risk it. Thanks, Marye.
Marye

Greer, SC

#1599 Jan 30, 2010
You're welcome!
:)
I'm snowed/iced in! South Carolina is COLD right now!
:(
Marye

Greer, SC

#1600 Jan 30, 2010
I HAVE heard several people at our center talk about using their vanilla optifast in their coffee though!! Some people have that as their breakfast. Basically they make it, add the coffee as part of the water when they make it, and heat it up. I've never tried it...however, I have made ice coffee. I make a little bit of STRONG coffee in a bit of boiling water (about 2-3 tbsp.) Then mix it in to the vanilla shake that I've made with ice. It's really good!
:)
Cathy

Fargo, ND

#1601 Jan 30, 2010
Wow Marye, that is a GREAT idea. I actually chose to give up my coffee when I started the Optifast program (last Monday) because I loved enough creamer to sweeten it so not to use regular sugar. I had a horrible headache for the first couple days but now i'm headache free. Yay! With your idea though, maybe I can add some coffee on days when I really want it!! BTW, how do we post by putting in what someone else wrote first? You know, where it says "Marye wrote:"?
Twana

Toms River, NJ

#1602 Jan 30, 2010
Marye wrote:
You're welcome!
:)
I'm snowed/iced in! South Carolina is COLD right now!
:(
Mayre -- thanks for the info about the miralax -- will try it! Sorry to hear about the snow and cold -- your state must be getting the winter NJ normally gets, we have had minimal snow and a few really cold weeks and many warm spring-like days; but not our normal winter. This weather is sooo unpredectable -- something must be going on in the atmosphere!

Mayre -- I am still having trouble getting it together with this program -- I am fighting my way through -- it's like I've hit a wall! Did you have this experience at some point in the process? If so how did you get through it??
Twana

Toms River, NJ

#1603 Jan 30, 2010
Cathy wrote:
Wow Marye, that is a GREAT idea. I actually chose to give up my coffee when I started the Optifast program (last Monday) because I loved enough creamer to sweeten it so not to use regular sugar. I had a horrible headache for the first couple days but now i'm headache free. Yay! With your idea though, maybe I can add some coffee on days when I really want it!! BTW, how do we post by putting in what someone else wrote first? You know, where it says "Marye wrote:"?
Hey Cathy -- great to hear that you are over the "headache hump" To reply with the other person's message at the top of yours -- go to the message you want to reply to and "click on reply" at the top right portion of the message. This will give you a box with their message at the tip --then just go to the end of their message, retun and write....
Cathy

Fargo, ND

#1604 Jan 30, 2010
Twana wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey Cathy -- great to hear that you are over the "headache hump" To reply with the other person's message at the top of yours -- go to the message you want to reply to and "click on reply" at the top right portion of the message. This will give you a box with their message at the tip --then just go to the end of their message, retun and write....
GOT IT, thanks Twana!!!:)
Cathy

Fargo, ND

#1605 Jan 30, 2010
I have two questions:

1) I have about 120 lbs to lose so my doctor has put me on 4 shakes a day and that's it. So far I am enjoying the program & don't really crave food. How long can one stay on the program that only involves shakes? Would I be able to stay on it until I have lost all my weight (or at least the majority of it)?

2) Not to get too personal but, does the constipation thing last throughout the whole program If I don't take anything for it or does it subside at anytime?
Penelope

Chicago, IL

#1606 Jan 30, 2010
OK, my fellow optifasters. I have a question for you PROS and I use that word with much respect. What tricks do you use to get all your water in each day? Monday is the start of the week and the first day of February so I am going to hit this program hard and heavy. So any help you guys can advise I will much appreciate. Kindness and success to all.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Top Stories in the Blogosphere Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The Mexican mafia is pushing their families way... (Nov '07) 18 hr Kayla Sandre 165
Why are white men so attracted to asian women? (Jul '08) Jul 20 one day then sight 21,746
find your biological parents (Jan '10) Jul 19 Lynn Assimacopoulos 5
Sikh kids who want haircut (May '11) Jul 19 Guy with Common s... 30
Promote Your Youtube Vlogs and Videos Here!!! (Jul '11) Jul 18 PeterWelton 250
is the ultimate race black? because the whites ... (Mar '11) Jul 17 Miss London 166
Can i stream 1080p videos smoothly with 10mbps ? Jul 17 Hello 2
More from around the web