Kosovoa s Mysterious Dialect Fades Away

Nov 27, 2010 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: BalkanInsight.com

Under pressure from language purists, who disapprove of Albanians using Slavic words, the unique speech of the Rahovec region, which combines Albanian, Bulgarian and Serbian, is dying out.

Comments
61 - 75 of 75 Comments Last updated Jan 5, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

“A man's character is his fate”

Since: Jun 10

Heraclitus

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

This is what i found on some Forum. Pretty precisely from a guy name Shpata. I don't know is he a Tosk or Gheg, but he said this:
Shpata wrote:
<quoted text>
"gheg are catholic and muslim.
tosk are orthodox and muslim.

ghegs are more tribal.
tosk no longer tribal.

the official language or standard language of albania is based on tosk dialect.

gheg dialect from ancient days has hellenic influece.
tosk dialect form ancient days has latin influence.

gheg dialect from middle ages has serbian/slavic influece.
tosk dialect from middle ages has medevil greek influence.

turkish times both have turkish influence.

they differ in folk costumes.

Ghegs are devided in many tribes.

The kosovars are a mix between these bjeshke ghegs and ghegs south of drin, plus a mix of assimilated local Serbs.

tosks have bigger sub-devisions. from the river shkumbin to vjosa its tosks group(who even inside it has its own tribal/region devision). from vjosa river to ioanian coast its mostly labs(kaoni is a lab, im from border zone region of tosk-lab devision). from saranda to paramythia used to be the chams. i dont know if the suliots considered themselves the same as chams or another sub-group. than we have arvanitis like ahristos and arberesh who broke away from tosk nucleus in the middle ages."
Kosovogirl

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

The_Baron wrote:
This is what i found on some Forum. Pretty precisely from a guy name Shpata. I don't know is he a Tosk or Gheg, but he said this:
<quoted text>
ghegs are more tribal.
tosk no longer tribal.
The kosovars are a mix between these bjeshke ghegs and ghegs south of drin, plus a mix of assimilated local Serbs.
tosks have bigger sub-devisions. from the river shkumbin to vjosa its tosks group(who even inside it has its own tribal/region devision). from vjosa river to ioanian coast its mostly labs(kaoni is a lab, im from border zone region of tosk-lab devision). from saranda to paramythia used to be the chams. i dont know if the suliots considered themselves the same as chams or another sub-group. than we have arvanitis like ahristos and arberesh who broke away from tosk nucleus in the middle ages."
Asamulated local Serbs?! What about assimilated local Greeks and Aromanians in south Albania?

“DelusionialivicS trahdsky”

Since: Feb 09

ServianMonkey

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

The_Baron wrote:
<quoted text>
ghegs are more tribal.
tosk no longer tribal.
not sure if albanian is influenced by greek...there is absolutely nothing in common between the two....early words such as Zeus(zot), or Afrodita and even Athens can only be explained in Albanian and Greeks admit to it.the Tosk based on Latin somehow, its true but this applies to stock of words mainly other than that Albanian is unique.
lack of everyday greek words in albanian is another proof.I cant believe Slavic is mentioned as having any influence at all on Albanian...just because there are shared words , which probabaly date back from Bulgarian times. and of late coexistence in Kosova.

the Gheg dialect fo Albania is amazingly unique but hardly intelligible to those in the south, esp the Shkodra dialect which i often give up trying to understand much.

the Gheg dialect of Kosova is very much influenced by slavic and turkish words and i would say is simly a variation of the main Gheg dialect, but not exactly the same.
Kosovogirl

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

blimey wrote:
<quoted text>not sure if albanian is influenced by greek...there is absolutely nothing in common between the two....early words such as Zeus(zot), or Afrodita and even Athens can only be explained in Albanian and Greeks admit to it.the Tosk based on Latin somehow, its true but this applies to stock of words mainly other than that Albanian is unique.
lack of everyday greek words in albanian is another proof.I cant believe Slavic is mentioned as having any influence at all on Albanian...just because there are shared words , which probabaly date back from Bulgarian times. and of late coexistence in Kosova.
the Gheg dialect fo Albania is amazingly unique but hardly intelligible to those in the south, esp the Shkodra dialect which i often give up trying to understand much.
the Gheg dialect of Kosova is very much influenced by slavic and turkish words and i would say is simly a variation of the main Gheg dialect, but not exactly the same.
Tosk does have Greek influence in it. I mean to say modern Greek influence in it as well as ancient one. And I'm not talking about aferdita or Zeus.
Gheg does have Slavic and Turkish but so does Tosk.

“DelusionialivicS trahdsky”

Since: Feb 09

ServianMonkey

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Kosovogirl wrote:
<quoted text>
Tosk does have Greek influence in it. I mean to say modern Greek influence in it as well as ancient one. And I'm not talking about aferdita or Zeus.
Gheg does have Slavic and Turkish but so does Tosk.
really? unless u change your name to KosovaGirl...now im off to buy a small turkey to celebrate the 6TH of January, Oliver Cromwell.

Heraclitus

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

blimey wrote:
<quoted text>
When you say "Albanian" you mean official Tosk dialect, yes ?
And tell me please, are these Slavic words in standard Albanian or just in a Gheg dialect ...the words like Reka or Breg...etc?

Alb - Srb - Eng

Krahinė- Krajina - Region
Zjarr -Žar - Fire
Valė- Val - Wave
Jug - Jug - South
Veri - Sever - North
Dru - Drvo - Wood/Tree
Mish - Meso - Meat
Breg - Breg - Shore

Alb - Srb - Eng

Grabitje Grabezh Plunder
Pushke Puska Gun
Iki Ici To go
Balte Blato Mud
Rend Red Order
Palare Prljav Dirty
Tym Dim Smoke
Obala - Obala - Shore
shetit šetati to walk
Zbavit Zabaviti to Amuse

Alb - Srb - Eng

Sundoj Suditi To Judge
Porosit Poruciti To order
Grij Ugristi To chew/gnaw
Rob Rob Slave/Prisoner
Opinga Opanka Serbian peasant shoes
Dreq Drek a Demon/Imp

Alb - Srb - Eng

Godit Pogoditi To hit
Zakon Zakon a Practice/Law
Rreke Reka Stream/River
Lopate Lopata Shovel
Zhabe Zaba Frog/Toad
Serbonazis

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

The_Baron wrote:
<quoted text>
When you say "Albanian" you mean official Tosk dialect, yes ?
And tell me please, are these Slavic words in standard Albanian or just in a Gheg dialect ...the words like Reka or Breg...etc?
Alb - Srb - Eng
Krahinė- Krajina - Region
Zjarr -Žar - Fire
Valė- Val - Wave
Jug - Jug - South
Veri - Sever - North
Dru - Drvo - Wood/Tree
Mish - Meso - Meat
Breg - Breg - Shore
Alb - Srb - Eng
Grabitje Grabezh Plunder
Pushke Puska Gun
Iki Ici To go
Balte Blato Mud
Rend Red Order
Palare Prljav Dirty
Tym Dim Smoke
Obala - Obala - Shore
shetit šetati to walk
Zbavit Zabaviti to Amuse
Alb - Srb - Eng
Sundoj Suditi To Judge
Porosit Poruciti To order
Grij Ugristi To chew/gnaw
Rob Rob Slave/Prisoner
Opinga Opanka Serbian peasant shoes
Dreq Drek a Demon/Imp
Alb - Srb - Eng
Godit Pogoditi To hit
Zakon Zakon a Practice/Law
Rreke Reka Stream/River
Lopate Lopata Shovel
Zhabe Zaba Frog/Toad
nobody is interested in this 'academic dispute.'

“Kosova, gjaku im qe nuk falet!”

Since: Sep 09

Kosova, Albania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

blimey wrote:
<quoted text>u sound more like del boy.....like him u want to be someone u can never be because you will always remain a scumbag.....my initial reaction to u was at the heat of the moment, not that i deny anything....someone from kosovo i would not expect to write Kosovogirl...and the fact you keep saying there are slavic words in The Tosk AND funnily enough greek ones and the most ridiculous claim Albanians in the south can not speak Albanian properly,ahahahaha,is enough to conclude you are a serbian biiiiiiitch.... enough said.
now im not goin to be rude just a matter of curiosity and any response like , stop swearin' or do not call me that will not count:
"ta hanksha at kurabie t' rrujtur, oj shpirt i lokes"...
those who know albanian do not judge the way its written...
goood luck
oliver twist
translate
translate, will you? what did i mean?
she is not Albanian... it is obvious she/he is using google translate !

also would use this opportunity to address to all Albanians... stop responding to looney gay ! stop lifting this puccys threads.

Since: Mar 07

Prishtina, Kosovo

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Kosovogirl wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm sorry where did I mention Christianity?! again you fail with your lies.
Nuk kemi nevoje me ja nise tash me gjete kritika ne toskerishte e ne gegenishte ne forumin e Serbise.

Ky osht qellimi kryesor i serbeve.

Bilmey is a nut case!

Hic mos ju pergjigj.

Heraclitus

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

Stern des Sudens wrote:
<quoted text>

also would use this opportunity to address to all Albanians... stop responding to looney gay ! stop lifting this puccys threads.
LOL What are you ? A gestapo officer ? Achtung, achtung i am giving the orders !
Also, how come the word gay is every day in your mouth ?
Kosovogirl

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

prishtina wrote:
<quoted text>
Nuk kemi nevoje me ja nise tash me gjete kritika ne toskerishte e ne gegenishte ne forumin e Serbise.
Bilmey is a nut case!
Hic mos ju pergjigj.
Shqiptaret e shqipnise flasin shqip me fjal GREEK SLAV TURQ e LATINISHT.

Une skam nevoj me perdor google translate sepse une jam Gheg e jo Tosk. Google translate esht perkthimi Tosk.
Kosovogirl

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

prishtina wrote:
<quoted text>
Bilmey is a nut case!
Hic mos ju pergjigj.
E di mire e ke, aj nuk e di historin e Enver Hoxhes, Tosk o bo standard sepse Enver Hoxha eshte Tosk.
Kosovogirl

UK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Stern des Sudens wrote:
<quoted text>
she is not Albanian... it is obvious she/he is using google translate !
I don't need to use "google translate" since google translate is based on Tosk dialect. I am Gheg so therefor I don't need to use "google translate"

More than half of the things on google translate are different from how they speak Gheg Albanian.

Skam nevoj me perdor google per perkthim une jam Gheg e google e ka perkthimin Tosk.

Heraclitus

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

blimey wrote:
<quoted text>really? unless u change your name to KosovaGirl...now im off to buy a small turkey to celebrate the 6TH of January, Oliver Cromwell.
Happy Epiphany to you blimey. I hope the river is not frozen...
Serbonazis

Buffalo, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 5, 2013

Judged:

The_Baron wrote:
<quoted text>
Happy Epiphany to you blimey. I hope the river is not frozen...
servian brain is frozen since 1389

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••