KNICKS: Trades should help Lee, Nate

Full story: Newsday

It isn't just LeBron James and other potential free agents who could benefit from the Knicks ' sudden salary-cap flexibility in 2010.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
jys22

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2008

I got caught up in all the excitement with these cap-clearing moves by Donnie...But then quickly realized like everyone else that the Knicks still need to put a winning product on the floor in order to attract Lebron and co. in 2010. Hopefully, the new acquisitions can be pieces to that. And here's to hoping that D-Lee and Nate will be re-signed less they regress.
I LEVEL

Watertown, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2008

The trades were excellent moves to get them under the cap and remain competitive for the next two seasons.
The Eastern conference is not that strong and the Knicks could get in the playoffs where anything could happen, at least the team is going in the right direction.
Mike

Hauppauge, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2008

I really hope they re-sign Lee and Nate, they are fan favorites, exciting and getting better with every game. I won't lie and say Nate was good first game after the trade but, you can tell the whole team was rattled. Give Nate a blog!!
in the knick of time

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2008

It may be popular opinion that stars like LeBron, Wade, Bosh and Amare will not be attracted to a mediocre Knicks team in the summer of 2010, but it doesn't always work out that way.

Look at what happened with the Celtics last year. The big three of Pierce, KG and Ray Allen look phenomenal on paper, but the team wasn't a serious contender until the roster was filled out AFTER the big three was secured.

First, it was James Posey that signed. Then it was Eddie House. Then the Celtics wooed P.J. Brown out of retirement half-way through the season. And finally, Sam I Am Cassell came on board in March. We can all agree that without these crucial role players, the Celtics' bid for a championship would not have been nearly as powerful.

(You also had has-beens like Gary Payton and Travis Best (?!) making their desire to join the club public.)

If LeBron and Amare were to sign with the Knicks in 2010, and we already had Nate, Lee and Chandler secured, I'd bet that there would be more than enough vets interested in signing with the team at a discount if it means making a title run.
jerry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2008

The Knicks could be in a better trade situation if the actually got something for Randolf and Craw. They got rid of two contracts, two good players and got nothing in return. Thomas and the other guy are has beens. Harrnington is a constant problem where ever he goes. Marbury being benched has made him useless, untradeable and just shows the total lack of intuitive capability by D'Antoni. You're going to win this year? Wonderful, the only good players you have are the ones Isiah picked up in the draft. Two of those players , Collins and Balkman have been GIVEN away. Ridiculous. Shameful, give all the fans their money back !!!!!! If you get James, etc. give us a call. More than likely the only James sitting on the bench will be Jerome.
dude

New City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2008

wow jerry, lose your faith much? Collins and Balkman both had no reason to be on the team seeing how they cannot shoot - the most important skill in d'antoni's system. Harrington has been a problem, but his skills should flourish in this system. And I've gotta give donnie the call here, he drafted him so he knows all about what he's going to get from him.

But don't let that stop you from giving your money back. We need REAL fans who see the whole picture and don't get bent out of shape when we traded our, so called 'best players'? Have you forgotten how bad has been? How good do you think our best player is?
jerry

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2008

dude wrote:
wow jerry, lose your faith much? Collins and Balkman both had no reason to be on the team seeing how they cannot shoot - the most important skill in d'antoni's system. Harrington has been a problem, but his skills should flourish in this system. And I've gotta give donnie the call here, he drafted him so he knows all about what he's going to get from him.
But don't let that stop you from giving your money back. We need REAL fans who see the whole picture and don't get bent out of shape when we traded our, so called 'best players'? Have you forgotten how bad has been? How good do you think our best player is?
DDDuuuuddddeeee, I've been a fan longer than you've been alive. Both Collins and Balkman are multi-talented players. Balkman can rebound, block shots (no other Knick can besides Chandler), run the court, defend, steal balls in the open court and finish off the fast breaks with a dunk or a tip in of a missed shot. I haven't seen any players with the range of skills he has. Collins likewise can rebound, defend, shoot, go to the hole, pass and play smart ball. He is/will be better than Duhon. He is taller and disrupts the pass to the big men from the opposing point guard along with his long arms. He is also a good ball thief. Shooting is not the only key to winning. D'Antoni never won a championship and he had a great team. His limited success this year was with a team Isiah put together. Isiah has a great eye for young talent. I'm not a big fan for him as a coach, but as a drafter of talent he has a proven track record. Camby, Tracey McGrady, Lee, Nate, Chandler, Collins, Balkman, Ariza and even Frye. None of these are busts. Each time new management comes along they have to get "their" guys. D'Antoni and Donnie are doing a terrible job of evaluating the talent on hand and getting equitable players in trades. Randolf could have fetched at least a high second rounder. Getting two has beens who shoot and complain too much isn't going to help the Knicks in the long run. Both will be off the team in a year or two without any compensation as far as new talent. Wishing on a star (James) is just that, a wish. Develop a team for the here and now.

Craw was a class act and a great clutch player. The games I saw him play he played all out with heart. He was one of the few on the team that did that, he caused no trouble and was not a bickering little baby. Harrington is Donnie's guy and like most new management he has to prove that he didn't make a bad pick to the pain of the fans.

As far as being a true fan, like I said I've been a fan longer than you've been sucking air out of your silver spooned fed mouth. You fans that have to get the best players out there think you are true fans? Give me a break, true fans root for the rookies that come in through the draft and see them develop as players and men. They hope and stick by their players.

As far as how bad the Knicks are. They played well last year when they were all healthy. This year the young players in the draft were all developing well and with good health and another year under their belt they would have been a strong team with a STRONG bench. Now they don't have a bench or much of a future. The young players who showed so much promise have been jettisoned for the sake of some new management that didn't want to evaluate the players. They were more interested in making their mark and not in developing a team that had already the makings of a strong team for years to come.

So give me a break Dude and don't tell me what a "real fan" is.
Uncle See-saw

Hampton Bays, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2008

I've never been a big Tim Thomas fan. I always thought he had a ton of potential but never lived up to it. I've always thought Al Harrington was a good player because he has had big games against the knicks in the past. I don't know what kind of a locker room guy he is but he is very talneted and out of the three new faces he will have the biggest impact. There is no in between with Tim Thomas, he is either going to play a big role, similar to the way he played in Phoenix a couple of years ago or be totaly buried on the bench because of poor playing and bad additude. I think the Knicks could be just a tweak or two away from being a serious team. The way Jefferies fits into the system and how he impacts the game will be interesting because coach supposedly had him inked as the startig center. D'antoni saw something in him that can help the team.JJ is 6 foot 11 thats the size of a center not your typical small forward or wing player which is how Zeke used him. I think he will thrive on both ends playing closer to the basket. also depens on how the new guys fit.Any thoughts?
SDz

Ridgewood, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 24, 2008

jerry wrote:
<quoted text>
DDDuuuuddddeeee, I've been a fan longer than you've been alive. Both Collins and Balkman are multi-talented players. Balkman can rebound, block shots (no other Knick can besides Chandler), run the court, defend, steal balls in the open court and finish off the fast breaks with a dunk or a tip in of a missed shot. I haven't seen any players with the range of skills he has. Collins likewise can rebound, defend, shoot, go to the hole, pass and play smart ball. He is/will be better than Duhon. He is taller and disrupts the pass to the big men from the opposing point guard along with his long arms. He is also a good ball thief. Shooting is not the only key to winning. D'Antoni never won a championship and he had a great team. His limited success this year was with a team Isiah put together. Isiah has a great eye for young talent. I'm not a big fan for him as a coach, but as a drafter of talent he has a proven track record. Camby, Tracey McGrady, Lee, Nate, Chandler, Collins, Balkman, Ariza and even Frye. None of these are busts. Each time new management comes along they have to get "their" guys. D'Antoni and Donnie are doing a terrible job of evaluating the talent on hand and getting equitable players in trades. Randolf could have fetched at least a high second rounder. Getting two has beens who shoot and complain too much isn't going to help the Knicks in the long run. Both will be off the team in a year or two without any compensation as far as new talent. Wishing on a star (James) is just that, a wish. Develop a team for the here and now.
Craw was a class act and a great clutch player. The games I saw him play he played all out with heart. He was one of the few on the team that did that, he caused no trouble and was not a bickering little baby. Harrington is Donnie's guy and like most new management he has to prove that he didn't make a bad pick to the pain of the fans.
As far as being a true fan, like I said I've been a fan longer than you've been sucking air out of your silver spooned fed mouth. You fans that have to get the best players out there think you are true fans? Give me a break, true fans root for the rookies that come in through the draft and see them develop as players and men. They hope and stick by their players.
As far as how bad the Knicks are. They played well last year when they were all healthy. This year the young players in the draft were all developing well and with good health and another year under their belt they would have been a strong team with a STRONG bench. Now they don't have a bench or much of a future. The young players who showed so much promise have been jettisoned for the sake of some new management that didn't want to evaluate the players. They were more interested in making their mark and not in developing a team that had already the makings of a strong team for years to come.
So give me a break Dude and don't tell me what a "real fan" is.
LOL. Yeah, Mardi Collins is better than Duhon and Craw is like Jordan in the clutch. Jerry, you truly are an idiot. "They played well last year when they were all healthy." This is even more laughable. Jerry, stop blowin' Zeke. He ain't coming back. You probably are Zeke.
I LEVEL

Watertown, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 25, 2008

SDz wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL. Yeah, Mardi Collins is better than Duhon and Craw is like Jordan in the clutch. Jerry, you truly are an idiot. "They played well last year when they were all healthy." This is even more laughable. Jerry, stop blowin' Zeke. He ain't coming back. You probably are Zeke.
Thank God those days are now part of the past.
The team is making moves to improve and become perrenial contenders in the future and if they keep going in the right direction, it will happen.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 10 of10
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Zach Randolph Discussions

Search the Zach Randolph Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Spurs blast Grizzlies in Game 1 of West finals (May '13) May '13 Ginny Boyd 1
Memphis Grizzlies keep to game plan in playoffs (May '13) May '13 bandwagoners. 1
How Much Is Tony Allen Worth to the Memphis Gri... (Mar '13) Mar '13 Ladale 1
Grizzlies provide Heat with another frontcourt ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 chad huggins 1
Memphis Grizzlies' trades are latest signs of s... (Feb '13) Feb '13 BlueManSuit 1
Los Angeles Lakers Rumors: Why Zach Randolph Is... (Jun '12) Jun '12 Blowbama 3
Grizzlies seal stunning upset by knocking off S... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Educated What 1
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••