Rockets center Yao Ming undergoes foo...

Rockets center Yao Ming undergoes foot surgery

There are 28 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Jul 21, 2009, titled Rockets center Yao Ming undergoes foot surgery. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

This text is replaced by the Flash movie. Barb Mizuhata was 3 years old the day she entered the internment camps.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Workaday Oakdale Brother

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Jul 21, 2009
It's nice to see youngsters taking an interest in history like this.
imprisoned thoughtful

Warsaw, MO

#2 Jul 22, 2009
Michele Malkin wrote a book on why it was right and necessary to imprison the Japanese during WWII.

you've read the argument she makes, right?
Be Thankful

Minneapolis, MN

#3 Jul 22, 2009
If it weren't for what happened for these Japanese Americans
and their internment by the U.S. government........

Nowadays in this terrorist world we are in, the Arab Americans,
Somalis, & so on would be in camps already!

Past history oppression & wrongs has it's way of teaching us
what is right to do & wrong in respect to human rights in the U.S.
Criminal Teacher

Minneapolis, MN

#4 Jul 22, 2009
imprisoned thoughtful wrote:
Michele Malkin wrote a book on why it was right and necessary to imprison the Japanese during WWII.
you've read the argument she makes, right?
Thanks TROLL for the stupidity spewed out of
nowhere but the A**.

Hope you come out someday & realize there is life
outside of that shell your hiding behind!
Catcher InTheRye

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Jul 22, 2009
Interment camps? So what? It was war! It was justified. We have enough problems now with Chinese spies trying to steal military/industrial secrets!
Catcher InTheRye

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jul 22, 2009
Regan already paid them money so there is nothing more to be said!

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Jul 22, 2009
Catcher InTheRye wrote:
Interment camps? So what? It was war! It was justified. We have enough problems now with Chinese spies trying to steal military/industrial secrets!
Why did we not round up all the German Americans then? We were at war with them too??? You whities are something else.
Bud in St Paul

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Jul 22, 2009
I agree what happen to Japanese Americans in WWII was wrong.

But we are judging history though our generations eyes. Not those who really feared anther attack and/or invasion of the USA after the sneak attack by the Japanese on Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941.

Japanese Americans that lived though WWII here in the USA had a very difficult time. But that was nothing compared to the terror Americans in Japan or Japanese Territorys endured during that same time period. The Japanese have never said sorry to them or their descendents or paid them reparations.
Bill

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Jul 22, 2009
Twin Cities wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did we not round up all the German Americans then? We were at war with them too??? You whities are something else.
Last time I checked the Germans didn't bomb pearl harbor.

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Jul 22, 2009
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>
Last time I checked the Germans didn't bomb pearl harbor.
Last time I checked the Germans killed my Grandfather you loser. The stuff that happened to the Japanese is long and done with but it was not right. They were Americans, born here that had nothing to do with why the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor.

What the Japanese did to the Phipinos and Islanders was wrong too. However, that is on the Japanese not the Japanese Americans.
Walter

Minneapolis, MN

#12 Jul 22, 2009
I grew up with a picture of Franklin Delano Roosevelt on the wall. He was and is my hero. But I fault him on signing the order sending Americans of Japanese descent to camps at the outbreak of the second world war. It was inexcusable. That Canada and Peru followed suit is not as well known.
Ms V

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Jul 22, 2009
My 3rd grade teacher was in a camp as an adolescent. She told us, briefly, about what it was about and some experiences. She didn't get graphic or anything like that. Since my father was a WW2 vet (USS Iowa - Pacific theater) I asked him about it. He explained it to me and gave me context as well. BTW, Germans did not have it easy during the World Wars, especially if they still had their accent. German-Americans of the time were fiercely loyal to the United States and were painstakingly patriotic. Many of these folks fled "Germany" (it was called a variety of things up until this time) to avoid mandatory military service for a government they didn't support.
Persecution has been going on for centuries; it still doesn't make it right no matter how much we justify it. As citizens, if we want xenophobia we have a lot of "cleansing" to do. The vast majority of Americans are not pure anything anymore. Once our society figures that out we might move forward, but I don't see that happening.

Since: Jul 09

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Jul 22, 2009
Ms V wrote:
My 3rd grade teacher was in a camp as an adolescent. She told us, briefly, about what it was about and some experiences. She didn't get graphic or anything like that. Since my father was a WW2 vet (USS Iowa - Pacific theater) I asked him about it. He explained it to me and gave me context as well. BTW, Germans did not have it easy during the World Wars, especially if they still had their accent. German-Americans of the time were fiercely loyal to the United States and were painstakingly patriotic. Many of these folks fled "Germany" (it was called a variety of things up until this time) to avoid mandatory military service for a government they didn't support.
Persecution has been going on for centuries; it still doesn't make it right no matter how much we justify it. As citizens, if we want xenophobia we have a lot of "cleansing" to do. The vast majority of Americans are not pure anything anymore. Once our society figures that out we might move forward, but I don't see that happening.
Well said and I know Germans Americans were mistreated as well. However, they were not rounded up like cattle and sent away to prison camps, taken away from their family, their homes and schools. People from that era told me if they were not rounded up, they would of been lynched so I guess it was a good thing in that context. I am only replying to the people that say it was an act of war. It was not and it was not a right thing to do. An act of war is Hitler invading France and imprisioning the people, Japan invading Guam and imprisioning the people, not imprisioning your own citizens.
travis rosty

Clearlake, CA

#15 Jul 22, 2009
get over it, it wasnt a concentration camp. holy cow, now we have to fold paper cranes? liberal symbolism at its finest, or should i say worst?
travis rosty

Clearlake, CA

#16 Jul 22, 2009
some germans were relocated too. a few thousand were held at ellis island for nearly a year! so get your history straight. you don't hear the german's britching about it!
yoyo

Alexandria, MN

#17 Jul 22, 2009
Twin Cities wrote:
<quoted text>
Why did we not round up all the German Americans then? We were at war with them too??? You whities are something else.
Actually, they were- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_American_...

whities?
Ghost of Christmas Past

Burnsville, MN

#18 Jul 22, 2009
travis rosty wrote:
some germans were relocated too. a few thousand were held at ellis island for nearly a year! so get your history straight. you don't hear the german's britching about it!
No, little Travis, the Germans don't "britch", they just give us a high-pitched whine. Something about "just following orders" and "we didn't really know what was going on". Kind of like you, Travis.

I see a lump of coal in your future, right around next December 25th. Be sure to check your stocking.

Since: Dec 08

St. Paul

#19 Jul 22, 2009
Didn't take long for the racists to show up here, did it?

I am ashamed at some of my fellow Americans who seem to agree that it was O.K. for this nation to use race as a reason to throw out the Bill of Rights.

Ever hear of due process, or innocent until proven guilty? Why do you think these important legal protections didn't apply to Japanese-Americans in the 1940s?

I'm sure I'll be called a "loser liberal" for defending the Bill of Rights for all citizens, but that's nit my problem, it's the problem of those who think they have the right to withhold civil liberties from non-whites, a.k.a. disgusting racists.
Javier2011

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Jul 22, 2009
Bud in St Paul wrote:
I agree what happen to Japanese Americans in WWII was wrong.
But we are judging history though our generations eyes. Not those who really feared anther attack and/or invasion of the USA after the sneak attack by the Japanese on Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941.
Japanese Americans that lived though WWII here in the USA had a very difficult time. But that was nothing compared to the terror Americans in Japan or Japanese Territorys endured during that same time period. The Japanese have never said sorry to them or their descendents or paid them reparations.
One needs to go no further than this mans post to explain the human condition during those times. It was the right thing to do at the time. Now, despite the threat we are under from terrorists, we do nothing to the very people here who openly hate us, and its too bad.
American

Minneapolis, MN

#21 Jul 22, 2009
When are we going to stop apologizing for the mistakes of the past and move forward with the future. We are do d*mned afraid of offending people that the government feels the need to apologize to everyone who was done wrong. Good grief, get over it. Yes, it was horrible. It was war and it's what our government thought was the right thing to do at the time. No, it was't right but we cannot change the past.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yao Ming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Why Jeremy Lin Is Not Yao Ming, Never Will Be, ... (Oct '12) Oct '12 Ginobili 4
News Jeremy Lin and the franchise player tag (Oct '12) Oct '12 Ginobili 3
News Rockets Getting Center Omer Asik (Jul '12) Jul '12 Ginobili 3
News Travel | /2008/05/18/ (May '08) Jun '12 Mike Edralin 3
News Malaysian Artist Makes Portraits Using Coffee S... (May '12) May '12 Naughtyrobot 6
News Budinger, Dalembert Lead Rockets Past Knicks 97-84 (Jan '12) Jan '12 METS FAN FOREVER 1
News Ex-NBA star Yao Ming seeks slam dunk with new wine (Nov '11) Dec '11 akbar 5
More from around the web