Erik Spoelstra: Michael Beasley agree...

Erik Spoelstra: Michael Beasley agreed to stay a reserve

There are 33 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Apr 6, 2009, titled Erik Spoelstra: Michael Beasley agreed to stay a reserve. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Two days after backtracking on his choice to start Michael Beasley in placed of injured power forward Udonis Haslem, Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra offered clarity about the decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Banana Republic

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#22 Apr 6, 2009
Steve wrote:
"And on top of all that stupidity you have Wade palying 22 min vs Cook playing 26 min per game. Friggin genius.
"
READING COMPREHENSION. You are a moron.
Cook plays 26 minutes the whole game, at 2guard. WAde plays 22 minutes at 2guard, and plays 38 MINUTES IN THE GAME cuz he gets 16 minutes at PG when Chalmers goes to the bench. You damn fool.
Unless you want to play Quinn over Cook, then we can just do that instead. Head is injured, sucka
PS: Anyone that has actually watched knows Beasley has been a solid defender for over 2 months now and is clearly ready to start, especially with Haslem out injured and we decide to start the 6-6 dleague small forward Diawara.
Wasn't that 3 games ago that he took his 1st CAREER CHARGE? And I'm the one who hasnt been watching games. Right......

Diamara scored 16 on 4 of 9 from
3 and played tight D against Wash.

I am the one who told you Head was injured so don't spout off like you know what the hell your talking about when your last post has him in the current guard rotation.

BTW Cook averages 24 minutes a game and plays as much at the 3 as at the 2. Until Head got injured he was playing Cook's minutes. The injury opened up time for Quinn and Cook, but I guess to know that you would actually have to WATCH the games.

Beasley's O has never been the problem. He is an extremely gifted scorer but thats it. They actually have to remind him to rebound. If you think our interior D is bad with Haslem imagine Beasley on Dirk in the Dallas game. Would have scored 50.
Steve

Chelsea, MA

#23 Apr 6, 2009
The HEAT would be a 50 win team if Beasley started the whole year, not be missing the playoffs you fool

Spo didnt bring us to the brink of a 4seed either, we did that in SPITE of spo because we got DWYANE WADE back this year.

IF SPO actually gave Wade help and played our best players we wouldve been the clear-cut 4th seed and Wade would get his rightful MVP award cuz we would have 50+ wins with HAslem as a good backup PF.

Spo did a great job pre-trade and pre-head pickup and pre-jones-return-to-health, but since those things happened he has sucked and his youngsters aint developed a lick for playoff time when they were are true hope of going deep cuz their talent is undeniably better than any veteran on our roster
Banana Republic

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#24 Apr 6, 2009
huh wrote:
When I saw that Diawara was starting over Beasley, I was like " **** "...then Diawara hit some 3's, cut into the lane for a dunk, and played solid D (NO way in hell Beasley can defend Jamison)..and i was like "OK, the coach does know more about HIS team then I or anyone else on this blog does"...I understand that this is a place for discussion but to think that some **** blogger can do a better job than Spo, ya gotta be kidding me...from some of the way you guys talk, I'd think you brought a 15-whatever NBA team to the brink of a 4th or 5th seed in the playoffs in your rookie season (unheard of)...stick to your day jobs and let Spo do his thing. I know everyone wants to see the rookie play (so do I) but man, PLAYOFFS!!! would you guys rather Beasley play all season and miss the playoffs, or do you like the current situation we are in??? I for one am stoked to be able to watch the Heat in it.
Dead on. Sacrafice personal numbers and accolades for the playoffs.
Go Heat

Miami, FL

#25 Apr 6, 2009
I like Haslem. He might not be a great player but he plays with a lot of heart. I like beasly better.He might not be a great defender but he scores whenever given the ball unlike Haslem. Hopefully this rookie coach won't regret leaving michael on the bench 'cause fans are gonna really turn on him.
pugtv

United States

#26 Apr 6, 2009
Huh,

I'm in it for next year. I see this as a development year.

IMO, Sadly, Spo wasted this year by stunting Beaseley's development.

To your point, I don't think I'm a better coach than Spo is. However, I don't compare Spo to my limited abilities. I compare Spo to other coaches / potential coaches.

Here's a question for you. Do you think SVG did a better job on his rookie year or Spo on his rookie year?
huh

United States

#27 Apr 6, 2009
like you could do better..seems to me you're unqualified to make that remark..who are you anyways?? do they play basketball in Dominica? dosen't seem so.

5th or 6th seed has nothing to do with Spo???..come back to earth man...wade would carry most teams in the NBA, he's one of the best..
huh

United States

#28 Apr 6, 2009
good question pug,

I definately think Spo has done a better job with...

-way less talented players.
-way less experience (stan was assistant head c).
-and more pressure.
-plus he's won more games.

Not to mention the panic of a mess that Stan is.

Look, I think Spo has made rookie mistakes, but as far as the lineup and substitutions, I'm not behind the scenes in practice or the weight room watching who is working hard to get better and neither are you.
huh

United States

#29 Apr 6, 2009
Steve wrote:
Diawara didnt defend Jamison, and Jamison scored 23 points anyways on Moon
Diawara defended Butler and Butler scored 27 points
no sht sherlock...but you're telling me Beasley would've defended Butler...NOOOO Beasley would've been on Jamison and he would've had 43 points...giving up 23 & 27 in a winning effort i'll take that any day.

Look man, i said it, I WANNA SEE BEASLEY PLAY, but if we wanna keep winning, let him come off the bench and be patient.
huh

United States

#30 Apr 6, 2009
Steve wrote:
The HEAT would be a 50 win team if Beasley started the whole year, not be missing the playoffs you fool
Spo didnt bring us to the brink of a 4seed either, we did that in SPITE of spo because we got DWYANE WADE back this year.
IF SPO actually gave Wade help and played our best players we wouldve been the clear-cut 4th seed and Wade would get his rightful MVP award cuz we would have 50+ wins with HAslem as a good backup PF.
Spo did a great job pre-trade and pre-head pickup and pre-jones-return-to-health, but since those things happened he has sucked and his youngsters aint developed a lick for playoff time when they were are true hope of going deep cuz their talent is undeniably better than any veteran on our roster
Fool??? The heat were under 500 with Beasley starting ya bucket head...Beasley was getting into early foul trouble every single game trying to defend the other teams 4's...you must not watch too many games.
charles

AOL

#31 Apr 7, 2009
Spoelstra is a l-ar which rhymes with Dire!!
Beasley agreed because he had no choice and he's smart enough not to make waves. Every No. 1 draft pick wants to start especially those as talented as Beasley. Does Spoelstra wants us to believe he asked Beasley to make the decision on whether or not he should start? Or, does he wants us to believe that if Beasley had disagreed it would have made a difference?
Beasley will NEVER EVER play up to his full potential under Spoelstra nor will the Miami Heat. His only real coaching talent is in Exhausting Dywane Wade. He has no talent at all developing the other players.
I'll never understand why Riley continues to turn over to inexperienced coaches the enormously talented players he has assembled.

“DADDY'S HOME”

Since: Oct 08

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#33 Apr 7, 2009
they need to start Beasley next year.
as far as this year i like him coming off the bench.
once his defense isnt such a liability then he will blossom into an nba star!!!

why press so much. the kid will develop.

wade wont go anywhere

chalmers will develop more too.

we need to bench Cook. the guy is too inconsistent.
Hugh G Rection

Warsaw, IN

#34 Apr 7, 2009
quinnie never agreed to sit the bench!

da onliest thing betweens us an a championship be quinnie get ten three atemps a game!

so put him in da game, boya!
Steve

Chelsea, MA

#35 Apr 9, 2009
huh wrote:
<quoted text>
Fool??? The heat were under 500 with Beasley starting ya bucket head...Beasley was getting into early foul trouble every single game trying to defend the other teams 4's...you must not watch too many games.
Yup we were, because Haslem was starting at center and that was a freaking joke watching him get lit up by other teams 5's while trying to defend them

Then spo gave beasleys spot to haslem cuz haslem couldnt cut it at the 5 and god forbid we bench Ronny Turiaf's identical twin (as a player) when we could just bench the best freshman in college history and our #2 pick instead, the one guy that could help Wade turn this into a 50+ win team as his Robin.

Ridiculous that you didnt watch the games and see that in the first 15 games of the season.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yakhouba Diawara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Miami Heat: Jermaine O'Neal, Yakhouba Diawara t... (Jun '09) Apr '10 DJ P 11
News Jones may need more surgery (Jun '09) Jun '09 trensaun 4
News Carrying Heat too great a burden as Wade's back... (Apr '09) Apr '09 OLD PRO 1
News When Dwyane Wade is off, the Miami Heat isn't w... (Apr '09) Apr '09 xxx3 20
News Heat knew what was coming (Apr '09) Apr '09 The Real Deal 32
News Miami Heat forward Michael Beasley headed for s... (Apr '09) Apr '09 devilindetails 38
News Miami Heat coach Eric Spoelstra won't commit to... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Tiffany 21
More from around the web