Erik Spoelstra: Michael Beasley agree...

Erik Spoelstra: Michael Beasley agreed to stay a reserve

There are 33 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Apr 6, 2009, titled Erik Spoelstra: Michael Beasley agreed to stay a reserve. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Two days after backtracking on his choice to start Michael Beasley in placed of injured power forward Udonis Haslem, Miami Heat coach Erik Spoelstra offered clarity about the decision.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Steve

Chelsea, MA

#1 Apr 6, 2009
We better hope Haslem doesnt return for the rest of the season and playoffs if we want any chance of making it to round 2 and beyond.

Beasley starting at PF and getting 35 minutes a game as our Mo Williams is imperative. Hopefully Luther HEad will get back to improve our depth, and Magloire can be our 3rd big and get 20mpg (16 backing up Jermaine Oneal and the other 10 when Beasley rests and JO slides to PF)

Luther Head, Cook and JAmes Jones round out the rest of a very solid bench behind our big 3 of Wade-Beasley-Oneal which is a ton of firepower around Wade with Chalmers and moon both solid 3pt shooters that are capable offensive players (especially Chalmers in halfcourt making plays and moon running game)

We can beat anybody as long as Haslem doesnt return for the playoffs and kill our chances.
juanp

Boca Raton, FL

#2 Apr 6, 2009
I think Beasley is going to be an awesome player someday. I like the way he's taking this though I believe he should have been starting over Haslem a long time ago. The night he was injured haslem played 22 min. with 2 points and 1 rebound. Don't think he'll be missed all that much. I wonder if there is a worst starting PF in the league?
Steve

Chelsea, MA

#3 Apr 6, 2009
SCREW YOU ERICK SPOELSTRA YOU FREAKIN MORON, YOU ARE KILLING OUR CHANCES OF WINNING SO MUCH. YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!
What is so freaking hard about this?!?!? For real. Do you see Cleveland benching Mo Williams to start Pavlovic? How about Orlando, bench Turkoglu and get Battie in there right?
Shoudl the Celtics bench Ray Allen for Tony Allen, so they can bring in ray as late or early as they want to? Tony Allen is a better defender and has been there longer, just like Haslem has to Beasley........ oh wait, Haslem and Tony Allen are injured........ okay lets go small then and just start Diawara and Gabe Pruitt instead, keep Ray Allen and Beasley where they belong on the bench, who needs your 2nd best offensive player anyways?
Oh wait, only our coach is retarded, not bostons coach? So wait, they went from 18 to 66 wins and we're only gonna go from 15 to 43..........
makes sense.
screw YOU SPOELSTRA. Idiot, youre KILLING this kid and KILLING our team.
Playoffs is 8man ROTATION anyways, start Beasley, Diawara shouldnt even be playing at all forget STARTING... the kid is a d-league level SMALL FORWARD and youre starting him at POWER FORWARD over our NUMBER 2 OVERALL PICK AND 2nd BEST PLAYER WHO PLAYS POWER FORWARD
Idiot.
Center (minutes): J Oneal (22mpg)/Magloire(16mpg)/Joel(1 0mpg)
PF(Minutes): Beasley (36mpg)/J Oneal(12mpg)
SF(Minutes): Moon (28mpg)/Jones(20mpg)
SG(Minutes): Wade(22mpg)/Cook(26mpg)
PG(Minutes): Chalmers(30mpg)/Wade(18mpg)
8man playoff rotation with Haslem and Head injured should be that. Period.
AND YOU "ROTATE IT" so that when Wade is off the court you still have Beasley and Oneal and Chalmers and Cook out there for those 8-10 minutes a game in the playoff game he rests...... and you NEVER have a time without at LEAST one of those 3 players on the court (Oneal, Beasley, Wade) and if the one isnt Wade and is one of the other 2 you give either/or more help with Chalmers and Cook and Jones out there to help........ preferably you keep Beasley AND oneal out there together when WAde goes out and have them play with the bench just like the celtics do with Ray and KG when Pierce sits......
THATS WHY ITS CALLED A "ROTATION" you damned FOOL.
Godfrey

Warner Robins, GA

#4 Apr 6, 2009
What's he really suppose to say?
Steve

Chelsea, MA

#5 Apr 6, 2009
We better hope Haslem doesnt return for the rest of the season and playoffs if we want any chance of making it to round 2 and beyond.

Beasley starting at PF and getting 35 minutes a game as our Mo Williams is imperative. Hopefully Luther HEad will get back to improve our depth, and Magloire can be our 3rd big and get 20mpg (16 backing up Jermaine Oneal and the other 10 when Beasley rests and JO slides to PF)

Luther Head, Cook and JAmes Jones round out the rest of a very solid bench behind our big 3 of Wade-Beasley-Oneal which is a ton of firepower around Wade with Chalmers and moon both solid 3pt shooters that are capable offensive players (especially Chalmers in halfcourt making plays and moon running game)

We can beat anybody as long as Haslem doesnt return for the playoffs and kill our chances
waDe

Hialeah, FL

#6 Apr 6, 2009
Haslem is not the problem or the solution. This team is weak in too many areas to seriously contend. Its a one man team with a host of bricklayers. Won't get to the next level until 2010...IF Wade decides to stay.
Steve

Chelsea, MA

#8 Apr 6, 2009
Beasley and Cook and Chalmers are the solution, so is Jermaine Oneal and a solid bench of Haslem, James Jones, Magloire, Luther HEad and hopefully Bobby Jackson
us growing thru a stretch run and one more year of development and a pllayoff experience, thats the solution
the problem is spoelstra not using his talent effectively and turning a talented team into a one-man gang
Thats what you get when you start Haslem over your only other 20ppg scorer, or dont allow your rookie PG to make plays with the ball in his hands, or dont play your 3pt sharpshooter and run him off screens (it aint like he's kapono or korver and has a reason for not playing, aka he cant play d, cook is a very good man-to-man defender that reminds me a TON of eddie jones as a defensive swingman), or dont post up your post-up scorer jermaine oneal, or dont play the right guys in the right roles, start the right guys, have th eright bench, etc
Banana Republic

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#9 Apr 6, 2009
Steve wrote:
SCREW YOU ERICK SPOELSTRA YOU FREAKIN MORON, YOU ARE KILLING OUR CHANCES OF WINNING SO MUCH. YOU IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!
What is so freaking hard about this?!?!? For real. Do you see Cleveland benching Mo Williams to start Pavlovic? How about Orlando, bench Turkoglu and get Battie in there right?
Shoudl the Celtics bench Ray Allen for Tony Allen, so they can bring in ray as late or early as they want to? Tony Allen is a better defender and has been there longer, just like Haslem has to Beasley........ oh wait, Haslem and Tony Allen are injured........ okay lets go small then and just start Diawara and Gabe Pruitt instead, keep Ray Allen and Beasley where they belong on the bench, who needs your 2nd best offensive player anyways?
Oh wait, only our coach is retarded, not bostons coach? So wait, they went from 18 to 66 wins and we're only gonna go from 15 to 43..........
makes sense.
screw YOU SPOELSTRA. Idiot, youre KILLING this kid and KILLING our team.
Playoffs is 8man ROTATION anyways, start Beasley, Diawara shouldnt even be playing at all forget STARTING... the kid is a d-league level SMALL FORWARD and youre starting him at POWER FORWARD over our NUMBER 2 OVERALL PICK AND 2nd BEST PLAYER WHO PLAYS POWER FORWARD
Idiot.
Center (minutes): J Oneal (22mpg)/Magloire(16mpg)/Joel(1 0mpg)
PF(Minutes): Beasley (36mpg)/J Oneal(12mpg)
SF(Minutes): Moon (28mpg)/Jones(20mpg)
SG(Minutes): Wade(22mpg)/Cook(26mpg)
PG(Minutes): Chalmers(30mpg)/Wade(18mpg)
8man playoff rotation with Haslem and Head injured should be that. Period.
AND YOU "ROTATE IT" so that when Wade is off the court you still have Beasley and Oneal and Chalmers and Cook out there for those 8-10 minutes a game in the playoff game he rests...... and you NEVER have a time without at LEAST one of those 3 players on the court (Oneal, Beasley, Wade) and if the one isnt Wade and is one of the other 2 you give either/or more help with Chalmers and Cook and Jones out there to help........ preferably you keep Beasley AND oneal out there together when WAde goes out and have them play with the bench just like the celtics do with Ray and KG when Pierce sits......
THATS WHY ITS CALLED A "ROTATION" you damned FOOL.
Glad your not the coach. Knee jerk reactions will never win championships. DO you really expect anyone with any basketball knowledge to believe Beasley is on par with Turk, Mo WIlliams, or Ray Allen? Next...
pugtv

United States

#10 Apr 6, 2009
I'd like to hear that conversation ...

ES: Bease, you know how I told you that you were going to start?

MB: Unh yeah?

ES: Well, I lied.

MB: Oh, well ok.

ES: I prefer to start a D-Leaguer because I think we should develop his future, you know, to strengthen our future bench.

MB: I guess ...

ES: Trust me. Don't worry about your development. I can see your progress sitting on the bench. Your defense has really picked up.

MB: How's that?

ES: Well, when Diawara fronts his man, I can read your mind on the bench that you think Diawara is over extending himself. Good job.

MB: Uhm, thanks.

ES: I'm glad you agree. One last thing, let's tell the press this was your idea. I'm tired of people calling me an idiot. I just want a chance to prove myself as a rookie coach. The same chance that I refuse to give to you. Ok? Now get back on the bench and work on that defense. I'll be reading your mind to check on your progress.
Banana Republic

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#11 Apr 6, 2009
And on top of all that stupidity you have Wade palying 22 min vs Cook playing 26 min per game. Friggin genius.

If Beasley was starting the player he guards would score 50. He plays ZERO D. Diawara can assume Haslem's starting role by playing D, grabbing boards, and shooting 3s. We still need a scorer off the bench who can create his own shot. Beasley fills that role, LIKE HE HAS ALL SEASON. Wade can't play 48 every game.

FYI Head has a broken hand and will not be returning unless we make the finals.

Boston going from 18 to 66 wins had NOTHING to due with them getting Garnett and Ray (THE BEST SHOOTER IN THE GAME) Allen...right? Your logic is flawless (insert sarcastic remark here).

Stick to soccer.
D Roc

Boca Raton, FL

#12 Apr 6, 2009
Basically Riles locked Michael Beasley in a room and the convo went something like this..

"Hey kid keep your mouth shut and don't show up your coach, or your 20 minutes a game will turn into 2. Got it kid?"

Beasley "Oh OK.. Mr. Riley but I thought since you drafted me #2 overall you thought I may be able to help this team on the court?"

Riley "Michael like I said, keep your mouth shut!! OK kid? Spo is my guy he is the only one I can trust to keep you rookies on the bench while the team is struggling and waiting for D. Wade to come and save us. We have no need for a balanced rotation here kid, we have one horse and we are going to ride him into the ground for the next 2 years, so that way when he goes into free agency his body will be broken down again and no one will want him. Are we clear Michael???"

Beasley "OK coach, you know where find me"

Riley "Yeah, yeah kid just keep it movin"
Heatastic

New York, NY

#13 Apr 6, 2009
Way too much emphasis on who starts the game. Beasley will get his minutes and gain the experience he needs. He has one of the purest shots in the league. It's only a matter of time with a summer of getting stronger thru weight training to become the stud he'll eventually become. Fun times ahead!
Dave2183

Roseau, Dominica

#14 Apr 6, 2009
It's become a joke.

I applaud Beasley for taking it in stride and not acting out as most would but Spoelstra won't be around long. He is not qualified to even be an assistant in this league. We got lucky when SVG but Spo is a huge step down. He has no clue about a rotation or how to adjust it to what the game dictates.
NoJewy

Boca Raton, FL

#15 Apr 6, 2009
Banana Republic wrote:
And on top of all that stupidity you have Wade palying 22 min vs Cook playing 26 min per game. Friggin genius.
If Beasley was starting the player he guards would score 50. He plays ZERO D. Diawara can assume Haslem's starting role by playing D, grabbing boards, and shooting 3s. We still need a scorer off the bench who can create his own shot. Beasley fills that role, LIKE HE HAS ALL SEASON. Wade can't play 48 every game.
FYI Head has a broken hand and will not be returning unless we make the finals.
Boston going from 18 to 66 wins had NOTHING to due with them getting Garnett and Ray (THE BEST SHOOTER IN THE GAME) Allen...right? Your logic is flawless (insert sarcastic remark here).
Stick to soccer.
Zero D. That's why he's not starting. Do you know that he's run into his own players every game he's played in? I mean a real screen that's given up points for the other team. Most of these boggers CAN'T be watching every game, for they would agree that Beasley isn't ready to start, he just doesn't play D. Offensively, on the other hand....
Dave2183

Roseau, Dominica

#16 Apr 6, 2009
Every player and NBA coach has come out and said Beasley is the most talented big man to come out in years but our retarded unqualified coach would rather play diarrhea or whatever he is.

Here's some quotes from just yesterday's paper. Orlando's Rashard Lewis said last week,''You have to play a guy with that much talent. No way can you leave him on the bench.'' And Dwight Howard predicted,''Once he gets his chance [to play a lot], he's going to put on a show.'' But Beasley (35th in the NBA in points-per-minute) did not start Saturday.''The most polished rookie that size we've seen in a while in this league,'' Suns coach Alvin Gentry said.
Steve

Chelsea, MA

#17 Apr 6, 2009
Player A: 18.1 points, 46%fg, 43%3pt, 17.2 PER, 4.1 assists, 3.5 rebounds
Player B: 19.6 points, 47%fg, 37%3pt, 16.5PER, 2.0 assists, 7.5 rebounds
Player C: 16.5 points, 41% fg, 36% 3pt, 14.8 PER, 4.8 assists, 5.1 rebounds
Player D: 18.1 points, 48.5% fg, 41% 3pt, 17.7 PER, 3.0 assists, 3.5 rebounds

all stats are per-36-minutes-played.

Player a is mo williams.
Player B is michael beasley.
Player c is hedo turkoglu
player d is ray allen

PS: Daequan should be getting 30 minutes per game, he's one of our best man-to-man defenders on the perimeter and every time he plays small forward he torches the opponent and does a ogod job on the glass, see his gamewinning boxout in charlotte the other night?

He's a future Eddie Jones but a better shooter, SF of the future watch.
Steve

Chelsea, MA

#18 Apr 6, 2009
"And on top of all that stupidity you have Wade palying 22 min vs Cook playing 26 min per game. Friggin genius.
"

READING COMPREHENSION. You are a moron.

Cook plays 26 minutes the whole game, at 2guard. WAde plays 22 minutes at 2guard, and plays 38 MINUTES IN THE GAME cuz he gets 16 minutes at PG when Chalmers goes to the bench. You damn fool.

Unless you want to play Quinn over Cook, then we can just do that instead. Head is injured, sucka

PS: Anyone that has actually watched knows Beasley has been a solid defender for over 2 months now and is clearly ready to start, especially with Haslem out injured and we decide to start the 6-6 dleague small forward Diawara.
huh

United States

#19 Apr 6, 2009
When I saw that Diawara was starting over Beasley, I was like "WTF"...then Diawara hit some 3's, cut into the lane for a dunk, and played solid D (NO way in hell Beasley can defend Jamison)..and i was like "OK, the coach does know more about HIS team then I or anyone else on this blog does"...I understand that this is a place for discussion but to think that some dumbass blogger can do a better job than Spo, ya gotta be kidding me...from some of the way you guys talk, I'd think you brought a 15-whatever NBA team to the brink of a 4th or 5th seed in the playoffs in your rookie season (unheard of)...stick to your day jobs and let Spo do his thing. I know everyone wants to see the rookie play (so do I) but man, PLAYOFFS!!! would you guys rather Beasley play all season and miss the playoffs, or do you like the current situation we are in??? I for one am stoked to be able to watch the Heat in it.
Dave2183

Roseau, Dominica

#20 Apr 6, 2009
Playoffs as a 5th or 6th seed has nothing to do with Spo. Spo's unqualified clueless azs goes only as far as Wade carries him.
Steve

Chelsea, MA

#21 Apr 6, 2009
Diawara didnt defend Jamison, and Jamison scored 23 points anyways on Moon

Diawara defended Butler and Butler scored 27 points

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Yakhouba Diawara Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Miami Heat: Jermaine O'Neal, Yakhouba Diawara t... (Jun '09) Apr '10 DJ P 11
News Jones may need more surgery (Jun '09) Jun '09 trensaun 4
News Carrying Heat too great a burden as Wade's back... (Apr '09) Apr '09 OLD PRO 1
News When Dwyane Wade is off, the Miami Heat isn't w... (Apr '09) Apr '09 xxx3 20
News Heat knew what was coming (Apr '09) Apr '09 The Real Deal 32
News Miami Heat forward Michael Beasley headed for s... (Apr '09) Apr '09 devilindetails 38
News Miami Heat coach Eric Spoelstra won't commit to... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Tiffany 21
More from around the web