Magic want to be like Cleveland

Magic want to be like Cleveland

There are 30 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Mar 16, 2008, titled Magic want to be like Cleveland. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

They are, of course, no ordinary house guests. King James and the Cleveland Cavaliers come calling tonight at Amway Arena .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Dave

Deland, FL

#1 Mar 16, 2008
Wasn't the earlier motto "Right here, right now"

I think "Why not us, why not now" came later, when we were a far less capable team.
Luke

Spain

#2 Mar 17, 2008
Tonight I will stay asleep to see the match.

I' don't believe is a key game for the season, but it could be very interesting.
Will the Magic players put a big big effort tonight? In the last weeks seems that a lot of times they were adapting to the level of the opponents, but tonight will be different (I hope)
For all the trash about the media forgetting Orlando in the East and putting Cleveland in the top list, I'm waiting for them all to try to put a mark
I hope Dwight will react, stop smiling tonight, and show his commitment. If he plays hard, all the team will follow him.

GO MAGIC!!!
Bartt

United States

#3 Mar 17, 2008
Luke wrote:
Tonight I will stay asleep to see the match.
I' don't believe is a key game for the season, but it could be very interesting.
Will the Magic players put a big big effort tonight? In the last weeks seems that a lot of times they were adapting to the level of the opponents, but tonight will be different (I hope)
For all the trash about the media forgetting Orlando in the East and putting Cleveland in the top list, I'm waiting for them all to try to put a mark
I hope Dwight will react, stop smiling tonight, and show his commitment. If he plays hard, all the team will follow him.
GO MAGIC!!!
Is that you, Fran?
Cleveland Fan

Sunbury, OH

#4 Mar 17, 2008
The Magic are a good team. The Cavs might get an ounce more respect because they are the defending Eastern Conference Champs, but don't think that we are getting a lot more respect than the Magic.

I don't think Detroit or Boston want anything to do with Orlando and Cleveland come playoff time!
acesover

Montgomery, AL

#5 Mar 17, 2008
Maybe the Magic should move to Cleveland,then you wouldn't need to build another arena that they can't fill
Palm Bay Reader

Orlando, FL

#6 Mar 17, 2008
I believe that the indifference to Orlando lies in the fact that everyone knows the Magic still need a consistent starting Point Guard and a defensively-minded Power Forward.
I don't think its disrespect as much as it is being realistic about the Magic's chances in the playoffs without these key ingredients. Jameer has been stepping it up lately and so has Arroyo but they still lack the ability to slow down their opponents. Rashard is not a true Power Forward which will have an impact in the playoffs. I think they know it will be tough for the Magic if they have no additions to bolster these weaknesses.

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

#7 Mar 17, 2008
Magic are gonna beat 'em like they stole somethin'! They will likely be more motivated in this game than any game since the All-Star break.

Magic by at least 10.

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

#8 Mar 17, 2008
Bartt wrote:
<quoted text>Is that you, Fran?
Vasquez???
Brian in Lititz PA

East Stroudsburg, PA

#9 Mar 17, 2008
I think the Magic win this game tonight. When Cleveland made the big trade, I wasn't convinced it made them better, and long term it's going to hurt them.

Btw, did anyone see the conversation yesterday during the Houston/LAL game re: this year's MVP? They had a list of no-brainer MVP candidates. One of the guys (JVG maybe? I don't get ABC well so I can't tell who's talking or even see the games well half the time!) mentioned that Dwight should be on the list. The other guy was like "Are you serious?" So then the other guy says, "Nah, I was just yanking your chain."

So I guess Dwight hasn't really made much difference in Orlando after all. Sheesh! Talk about lack of respect.
Die Hard Cavs Fan

Nashville, TN

#10 Mar 17, 2008
Brian you are kidding right? The trade hurt them??? Injuries hurt them! Here's the difference between Orlando and Cleveland: LEBRON JAMES!

When the playoffs arrive, teams are going to see the total arsenal of Lebron James and oh yeah Daniel Gibson will be back too.

Don't put alot into this game Magic fans. We are on the back end of a back to back so yeah we're a lil' tired but make no mistake about it. Team is a different team but when you're banged up you're banged up.
Luke

Spain

#11 Mar 17, 2008
Yeah, I'm writing to all the magic fans that are waiting for me to come.
I will come in Orlando next year to steal the playing time of Marcin Gortat, a player that, by the way, was a lot better than me in Europe.

But after half season, exactly when I will start to putting big numbers,(something like 2 min, 3 to, and 10% FG) and speaking a little more this strange language (Yo soy = I am, Tu eres = you are....) my girlfriend will call me back in Spain and, you know, 5 minutes of sexxxx every night is way better than 2 minutes with this annoying team.

:=)
Bartt wrote:
<quoted text>Is that you, Fran?
mightymouthcrv

United States

#12 Mar 17, 2008
Brian in Lititz PA wrote:
I think the Magic win this game tonight. When Cleveland made the big trade, I wasn't convinced it made them better, and long term it's going to hurt them.
Btw, did anyone see the conversation yesterday during the Houston/LAL game re: this year's MVP? They had a list of no-brainer MVP candidates. One of the guys (JVG maybe? I don't get ABC well so I can't tell who's talking or even see the games well half the time!) mentioned that Dwight should be on the list. The other guy was like "Are you serious?" So then the other guy says, "Nah, I was just yanking your chain."
So I guess Dwight hasn't really made much difference in Orlando after all. Sheesh! Talk about lack of respect.
Yes. I definitely saw that. I am glad you mentioned it. Jeff Van Gundy also said that the only 3 "contenders" in the east are Boston, Detroit, and Cleveland(because of Lebron). I know Stan is comforted by the fact that even his own brother doesn't believe in the Magic. But the bottom line is: Who cares? Peoples' opinions do not determine the NBA championship. Winning basketball games will. The Magic will only silence the critics if they win in the playoffs.
Luke

Spain

#13 Mar 17, 2008
Anathir sign of little respect for the Magic:

http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/index.html

Look at the W/L column...
Jay

Orlando, FL

#14 Mar 17, 2008
Orlando by 13!
Solar Bear

Lakeland, FL

#15 Mar 17, 2008
JVG also said he can't watch the Magic play because it's too stressful with his brother coaching. So that's not exactly an expert analysis. He's just repeating the pundit groupthink which makes it easier to be wrong but have an excuse instead of having the courage to stand alone and be right.

Magic by 6 tonight.
dee

El Paso, TX

#16 Mar 17, 2008
alright look at the cavs last season compared to this. totally different they made a few bogus moves like trading drew gooden a solid performer for minimal performer big ben wallace. they got an ok deal with wally serbiack but i doubt they'll even make it past the second round. in all truth a star should be helping to develop the other teammates on his team not complain because he's not satisfy. just shows you he's a why whiner and spoiled beyond belief and i cant name three ppl Kidd, James ans , bryant that need figure this out.
mike2315

New York, NY

#17 Mar 17, 2008
Die Hard Cavs Fan wrote:
Brian you are kidding right? The trade hurt them??? Injuries hurt them! Here's the difference between Orlando and Cleveland: LEBRON JAMES!
When the playoffs arrive, teams are going to see the total arsenal of Lebron James and oh yeah Daniel Gibson will be back too.
Don't put alot into this game Magic fans. We are on the back end of a back to back so yeah we're a lil' tired but make no mistake about it. Team is a different team but when you're banged up you're banged up.
yeah they have lebron, but i will tak e Dwight over lebron every time. name one perimeter player who won a championship for his team besides MJ? And no matter what the NBA publicist would like you to believe, lebron is NO MJ. So good luck with trying to win without a dominant big man. And Dwight is a dominant big man, and will be the most dominant big since Shaq very soon.
mike2315

New York, NY

#18 Mar 17, 2008
GO MAGIC, WE BELIEVE!
Cartmanesque

Satellite Beach, FL

#19 Mar 17, 2008
Michael in Ocoee wrote:
<quoted text>
Vasquez???
Thanks Mike, I was lost on that one.
Cartmanesque

Satellite Beach, FL

#20 Mar 17, 2008
Cleveland Fan wrote:
The Magic are a good team. The Cavs might get an ounce more respect because they are the defending Eastern Conference Champs, but don't think that we are getting a lot more respect than the Magic.
I don't think Detroit or Boston want anything to do with Orlando and Cleveland come playoff time!
It is nice to have a fan of another team come on our board respectfully. For what it is worth, Cleveland deserves a LOT of respect for the playoff run that they made last year. Gibson was crazy hot, and Lebron was a true AllStar.
While the Magic would like to emulate your success, our team isn't built like Cleveland, or any of the other contending teams either.
No one really knows how our inside-out game is going to do come playoff time, but I have a good feeling that we can score a lot in the usual half court set offense one sees in the playoffs. When we're hitting our jump shots, defenses will have to choose to shut down Dwight, or let us have open shots. My guess is that they'll try -hard- to rattle Dwight and full court press our guards coming upcourt. If D-12 can pass out of the double/triple teams, cut down on his turnovers, and make a few free throws, we should be in very good shape. What do y'all think?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wally Szczerbiak Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wally Szczerbiak - nude! (Nov '11) Nov '11 Jann 1
News Cavs: a 'cowardly betrayal' | The Columbus Disp... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Joe 29
News Michael Arace commentary: A trade to bring Shaq... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Keith Strohmeyer 1
News Cleveland Cavaliers fans give it to Charles Bar... (May '09) May '09 Kennyf428 4
News Maybe they should stop this one: Cavaliers on a... (May '09) May '09 joseph 2
News LeBron scores 34 as Cavaliers end long playoff ... (May '09) May '09 eger 3
News Cavaliers: Trade doesn't look likely before dea... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Bewitched 2
More from around the web