Pacers' search for talent continues

Pacers' search for talent continues

There are 68 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jun 30, 2007, titled Pacers' search for talent continues. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

If the NBA season were to begin today, the Eastern Conference landscape would look significantly different than at the end of last season as a result of Thursday's draft.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Tony

Fate, TX

#1 Jul 1, 2007
Well if the draft isn't so important, let's trade away our first round pick every year. How much spin can these guys (Bird & Walsh) come up with, this is getting old. I can deal with rebuilding, but have a plan. I like many other fans just wants this team to have a clear cut decision on whether to rebuild or if you feel like we're good enough to contend than make moves to upgrade the roster. Yet how can we do that without trading Jermaine if we are unwilling to trade our younger players. I wouldn't give up Granger, Williams or Diogu for a first round pick, but I sure wouldn't have given up a first round pick for Al Harrington in the first place. I hope LB & DW have a great July, otherwise it could be another season of the Pacers being on the outside of the playoffs once more.
Ronald

Newark, OH

#2 Jul 1, 2007
I am disappointed and saddened that this franchise no only does not have direction but also cannot pull the trigger when obvious benefits are available. It seems that we are doomed to second rate performances. Someone said they would never rebuild but this team is smack dab in the middle of just that process and has been for multiple years. I am sorry for those who came before Big D, Mac, Raja, Billy,Chuck, and Reg. The must be embarassed.
deansmithrules

Elgin, IL

#3 Jul 1, 2007
What does talent mean? Finding players who can stay out of trouble and set some kind of an example for the kids? Lets hope so!
irishslider

Stone Mountain, GA

#4 Jul 1, 2007
Here's a novel idea to improve the Pacers. Fire Larry Bird and hire Jerry West!
CapinIndy

Cincinnati, OH

#5 Jul 1, 2007
This team will be in last place at the end of the next basketball season.
Manny-Scottsburg

Ashburn, VA

#6 Jul 1, 2007
Being from southern Indiana (Bird Country) I find it difficult to be against Larry Legend, but his judgment of talent and caracter has to be questioned. We can not continue to drive nearly 100 miles each way to watch a un-inspiring and dull team just barely miss the playoffs. Please get some better shooters and players that we can be proud of.
madchemist

Louisville, KY

#7 Jul 1, 2007
Ronald wrote:
I am disappointed and saddened that this franchise no only does not have direction but also cannot pull the trigger when obvious benefits are available. It seems that we are doomed to second rate performances. Someone said they would never rebuild but this team is smack dab in the middle of just that process and has been for multiple years. I am sorry for those who came before Big D, Mac, Raja, Billy,Chuck, and Reg. The must be embarassed.
Ronald how do you know that obvious trades where available. You know the other team has to be willing also (or in the case of one of the rumored trades the other 3 teams) The pacers can't put together a package of bench players whose salaries match a Grannet and expect to make the trade
Best Policy

Circleville, OH

#8 Jul 1, 2007
Whenever Bird/Walsh make a personnel decision, they should remember the acronym WWJPD, or What Would John Paxson Do. The reason the Bulls are going to be the best team in the East for the next 4-6 years is an emphasis on the draft and specifically on players who have had team success at the college level. If I were a Pacer fan (I have no idea how there are any left) the comments by Walsh in the article would make me infuriated.

Ask the Knicks how well it works to value free agency more than the draft process.

What a bunch of clowns.
Best Policy

Circleville, OH

#9 Jul 1, 2007
There is no way the Pacers are finishing above New York, Phily, and Milwaukee next season. There only hope of not being the worst team in all of the NBA hinges on how well Acie Law takes to running the point for the Hawks.

The Pacers could lose 70 games next season.
Sell them for taxes

Carmel, IN

#10 Jul 1, 2007
This team could not win the CBA or the WNBA for that matter.
DaddyBanks

Columbus, IN

#11 Jul 1, 2007
If the pacers lose 70 games and still make a trade.. I woudnt care. I would actually be happy. I would love to see eric gordon in a pacers outfit. Anyways, I wouldnt care either way... win 70 lose in the first round , lose 70 win the the draft #1 pick
JoeMIU

United States

#13 Jul 1, 2007
Larry Bird has this team so messed up that it will take years to rebound from his mis-management. The Pacers have too many high cost and longterm contracts for players that are not very good. Larry Bird was an excellent player, but not every great employee makes a great manager.
Hoosier Sammy

Hebron, KY

#14 Jul 1, 2007
Here is the facts Pacer fans

Donnie Walsh

18 years no ring
18 years 1 eastern conference finals
18 years beside Reggie name one 1st round draft pick worth a damn
18 years how many one and dones?
18 years name one trade that worked to better the Pacers

Now Bird

He is so bad alls you can do is shake your head and say "you can't fix stupid"

But Larry does have that book deal "From Legend to Loser" and I hear Comedy Cental is looking to make it a movie of the week.

Wait for the paper back though cause I hear it stinks too. But the talented folks at Comedy Central should make it into a hoot. At least we will be able to laugh at it as the rest of the basketball world is laughing now.

Oh by the way Comedy Central's working title is "From Legend to Loser the Dumb and Dumber Story"

Boycott Simon Malls and Retail outlets you will see change quick. Indiana stop being the Simmon's personal cash cow.
Sam

Louisville, KY

#15 Jul 1, 2007
DaddyBanks wrote:
If the pacers lose 70 games and still make a trade.. I woudnt care. I would actually be happy. I would love to see eric gordon in a pacers outfit. Anyways, I wouldnt care either way... win 70 lose in the first round , lose 70 win the the draft #1 pick
"Outfit" is he going to be a cheerleader.
pokernut

Livermore, CA

#16 Jul 1, 2007
Larry Bird is a disgrace. Why hasn't this clown been fired?
HOOCH80

Columbus, IN

#17 Jul 1, 2007
I believe Larry and new coach J.Obrien should trade places. Make Larry try to win games with this collection of "talent". Maybe then he'd realize how bad he's been at making personell moves...I dont know about you but I miss Ron Artest, at least he gave 100% every night on both ends of the floor, and his only melt-down occurred after he had the "sense" to walk away from B.Wallace trying to start a fight , only to go mind his own business , when out of the blue some IDIOT comes up and dumps a beer in his face ...Id have went after him too...where were the guy with the beer's parents?????????
HOOCH80

Columbus, IN

#18 Jul 1, 2007
In hindsight , Ronny should have just whooped Ben Wallace's A**, then we wouldn't have an Issue Or "brawl"
HOOCH80

Columbus, IN

#19 Jul 1, 2007
and I know it isnt all about losing Artest, Every , repeat Every move the Pacers have made since Reggie left has been HORRIBLE , Especially the Golden St. deal Dunleavy & Murphy...for what we gave them...JEEZ...but they wanted the clean cut image & got it regardless of basketball skills BUT yet we still have 2 Pacers scheduled for court later this summer DONT WE???? So what the ****
pokernut

Livermore, CA

#20 Jul 1, 2007
Everyone was laughing in the SF Bay Area when we traded our $100 million benchwarmers for Harrington and Jackson. What a relief to get them off the payroll!
Jesus F Christ

Jeffersonville, OH

#21 Jul 1, 2007
Hoosier Sammy wrote:
Here is the facts Pacer fans
Donnie Walsh
18 years no ring
18 years 1 eastern conference finals
18 years beside Reggie name one 1st round draft pick worth a damn
18 years how many one and dones?
18 years name one trade that worked to better the Pacers
Now Bird
He is so bad alls you can do is shake your head and say "you can't fix stupid"
But Larry does have that book deal "From Legend to Loser" and I hear Comedy Cental is looking to make it a movie of the week.
Wait for the paper back though cause I hear it stinks too. But the talented folks at Comedy Central should make it into a hoot. At least we will be able to laugh at it as the rest of the basketball world is laughing now.
Oh by the way Comedy Central's working title is "From Legend to Loser the Dumb and Dumber Story"
Boycott Simon Malls and Retail outlets you will see change quick. Indiana stop being the Simmon's personal cash cow.
You're obviously a complete moron. You're probably the Colts fan who questioned Polian after the Steelers game in 2006. You're a fan of convenience, turning your check after a couple bad seasons but coming right back once they win again.

Off the top of my head, Walsh drafted or acquired the draft rights of the following: Chuck Person, Reggie Miller, Rik Smits, Dale Davis, Antonio Davis (2nd rounder), Erick Dampier, Al Harrington (late first), Danny Granger (mid-first, Jeff Foster (late first), Fred Hoiberg (2nd rounder).

The NBA Draft is a crap shoot every year. For Walsh to draft a HOFer outside of the lottery (Reggie), several more All-Stars (Dale, Antonio, Rik), a ROY (Person),and several starters (Harrington, Foster, Granger, Dampier), I think he's had a very good draft history. Sure, we missed Tony Parker and Gilbert Arenas in 2001, but so did almost every other team in the first round.

And, to answer the rest of your lame questions, the majority of our trades have worked out better for the Pacers: McKey/Detlef; Best & Rose/Miller, Artest; Davis/Jermaine; multi-Mark Jackson trades; Dampier/Chris Mullin; etc.

I'm just sick of you idiots always knocking the team when you really don't know much more than Bob Kravitz.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wally Szczerbiak Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wally Szczerbiak - nude! (Nov '11) Nov '11 Jann 1
News Cavs: a 'cowardly betrayal' | The Columbus Disp... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Joe 29
News Michael Arace commentary: A trade to bring Shaq... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Keith Strohmeyer 1
News Cleveland Cavaliers fans give it to Charles Bar... (May '09) May '09 Kennyf428 4
News Maybe they should stop this one: Cavaliers on a... (May '09) May '09 joseph 2
News LeBron scores 34 as Cavaliers end long playoff ... (May '09) May '09 eger 3
News Cavaliers: Trade doesn't look likely before dea... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Bewitched 2
More from around the web