defense does it for cavs

There are 18 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from May 16, 2008, titled defense does it for cavs. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Published on Saturday, May 17, 2008 The NBA, at least in this year's playoffs, is where the predictable happens.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

fan to the end

Hanover, NH

#1 May 16, 2008
I'm a Cavs fan, living in New England, watching the playback of the game at 2:45 a.m. Right now, we're at the two minute mark in the first half, down by one, getting ready to take over.

The Celtics and their fans can cry "foul" on the fouls if they want to (and they are, believe me, I've been getting emails.) But this game was won by our D jamming the Celts at this very point in the game.

Ugly. Gritty. But gutsy, too. Let's take it in Game Seven. Go Cavs!
Paul

Warren, OH

#2 May 17, 2008
What an effort! It wasn't pretty but when you battle the same team for seven games, it sometimes isn't! I don't think the Cavs can pull it off in Boston, but the effort they have put forth in this series has been spectacular! Boston had the best record in the NBA this year for a reason! The Cavs don't match the talent level the Celtics have, but still have a chance to advance!

In closing, game six was tight until the end, when Lebron reaches in for a steal against Pierce and a charging foul is called. Seems like the refs play a major part in who wins as well. Let's see how a call like that goes in Boston. But, it's still been a great season, but we need to make some changes in the off season next year! No excuses this time.
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

#3 May 17, 2008
Hope they have something left in the tank. Got a few breaks on calls down the stretch. Offense kept trying to get into the usual funk. Can't tell you how much I hate that Lebron point-forward cr@p. Joe Smith is one of the few player who can successfully come off a screen. I was the D. Still think either Pavlovic or Damon Jones is going to have to step-up in the end. I'm still sure tis team can win in Boston. Boston can be beat mentally. Cleveland is stronger in that way.
Spud

Cleveland, OH

#4 May 17, 2008
Pierce lowered his shoulder and tried to run over Lebron, who kept in front of him step for step. It's a charge, plain & simple.

As for Boobie's replacement, DJ doesn't have the D, and Sasha doesn't have the 3. I think Devin Brown matches up better with Allen & Rondo, and can knock down the jumper better than Sasha.
Also, it seems like Lebron trusts him to run the offense.

When they all stand around waiting for Lebron to do something, it makes me want to puke. Lebron needs to grow up and accept some coaching. I wish that Mike Brown, just once, would get in Lebron's face and read him the riot act. Of course management won't allow it. They don't want the kid to be uncomfortable - he might leave. Well, if he doesn't get a ring here, he'll leave anyway to pick up his championship bling elsewhere.
Yolanda

Akron, OH

#5 May 17, 2008
Excellent win Cavs! Stay focused and play your game on Sunday. Offense, defense, and free throws is a must. You can do it, this is a team effort. We're ready for round 3. Go Cavs beat the Celtics!!!!!!!!!
RPB

Pittsburgh, PA

#6 May 17, 2008
Spud wrote:
Pierce lowered his shoulder and tried to run over Lebron, who kept in front of him step for step. It's a charge, plain & simple.
As for Boobie's replacement, DJ doesn't have the D, and Sasha doesn't have the 3. I think Devin Brown matches up better with Allen & Rondo, and can knock down the jumper better than Sasha.
Also, it seems like Lebron trusts him to run the offense.
When they all stand around waiting for Lebron to do something, it makes me want to puke. Lebron needs to grow up and accept some coaching. I wish that Mike Brown, just once, would get in Lebron's face and read him the riot act. Of course management won't allow it. They don't want the kid to be uncomfortable - he might leave. Well, if he doesn't get a ring here, he'll leave anyway to pick up his championship bling elsewhere.
You are assuming that Lebron is not doing what Brown wants him to do on offense Spud. Until either Lebron or Brown publicly calls out the other (which will probably never happen) I put the blame on Brown. He is the coach, he needs to make sure there is an effective offensive scheme in place that is run consistently!

That being said, a win is a win! Man was it hard to watch though.

Their gonna have to perform much better offensively tomorrow in a hostile environment.

Go Cavs!
nick

Bronx, NY

#7 May 17, 2008
for once it would be good to hear brown say "we played well tonight defensively , but if we go up in boston and play with the same offensive effort tonight , we might not win" . in boston scoring 74 points will not cut it , the crowd will be in a frenzy and there is no way the celtics are only going to score 69 points . if the cavs can only muster 74 points AT HOME , then they're in trouble for game 7
Dr Doom

Akron, OH

#8 May 17, 2008
Michael Wilbon is from Chicago, works in D.C., and lives in Phoenix...

So how is it that he's the most blatant Boston HOMER on TV?

Even Bob Ryan is more objective.

Sad, just sad.
Dr Doom

Akron, OH

#9 May 17, 2008
Another thing:

If you watched the 2nd half of the Lakers-Jazz game last night, they kept putting up a lower-third graphic promoting Game 7...

But for some reason the only player pictured was Garnett...?

Has the league already determined our fate?
Such that it need not market its MOST MARKETABLE player?

If I EVEN hear the names Javie, Delaney, Crawford or Tony Brothers tomorrow I will watch the Tribe instead.
Frank Robentino

Kansas City, MO

#10 May 17, 2008
Cavs will win game seven. You heard it here!
Rocko

Homestead, FL

#11 May 17, 2008
It amazes me that with only 74 points can get a win it was a real low scoring game. 74-69 it was though. So defense did the real job what you have here is two very defensive teams. I think the Cavs will come up with the win in game 7.
dubyes

United States

#12 May 17, 2008
Absolutely amazing that it was agame involving Bavetta in which the celtics were actually called for a lot of the fouls they usually get away with.He has areputation for swallowing his whistle.Doc Rivers cries and whines and stamps his feet even when his team is getting all the calls!....John Barry and Tim Legler are ridiculously biased against Cleveland also.
dubyes

United States

#13 May 17, 2008
Garnett plays like a pig these days,it looks like he's always trying to hurt someone.Even so he is carrying his team.A Cleveland native I know said the big three are more like the big one and the little two!
Brnsfan

Lakewood, OH

#14 May 17, 2008
Paul wrote:
What an effort! It wasn't pretty but when you battle the same team for seven games, it sometimes isn't! I don't think the Cavs can pull it off in Boston, but the effort they have put forth in this series has been spectacular! Boston had the best record in the NBA this year for a reason! The Cavs don't match the talent level the Celtics have, but still have a chance to advance!
In closing, game six was tight until the end, when Lebron reaches in for a steal against Pierce and a charging foul is called. Seems like the refs play a major part in who wins as well. Let's see how a call like that goes in Boston. But, it's still been a great season, but we need to make some changes in the off season next year! No excuses this time.
Why is nobody talking about the Garnot elbow in Ben's face that was called a blocking foul,that also turned the game for Boston,then on the next rebound Ape man held and pushed Ben to the ground and a no call,so it goes both ways,the fact is the Cavs 3,Boston 3,come on Cavs,turn their lights out I'm so sick of hearing about these,big 3.
Rocko

Homestead, FL

#15 May 17, 2008
Brnsfan wrote:
<quoted text>
Why is nobody talking about the Garnot elbow in Ben's face that was called a blocking foul,that also turned the game for Boston,then on the next rebound Ape man held and pushed Ben to the ground and a no call,so it goes both ways,the fact is the Cavs 3,Boston 3,come on Cavs,turn their lights out I'm so sick of hearing about these,big 3.
"Big 3"? lol More like the Big 1.5.. Ray Allen has yet to show up to a game in the playoffs this year and Paul Pierce has only had only 1 Superior game (game 5). KG cant do this by himself which is why I think the Cavs have a legitmate chance of beating the C's in Boston. Lebron will do his thing.
hdawg

United States

#16 May 17, 2008
,then on the next rebound Ape man held and pushed Ben to the ground and a no call,

Funny, Ben Wallace looks more like an ape than anybody on the court. And I don't hear anybody giving props to Mike Brown for the defense, you all would be whining about him if the Cavs lost. I guess I'll wait until about 6:00 tomorrow for that.
GO PISTONS

Lenexa, KS

#17 May 17, 2008
Another boring performance by LeBraun. Stand, dribble, shoot. Stand, dribble, spin, shoot. Etc.
2007 Eastern Conf Finals

Ravenna, OH

#18 May 17, 2008
GO PISTONS wrote:
Another boring performance by LeBraun. Stand, dribble, shoot. Stand, dribble, spin, shoot. Etc.
If what you mean by “boring” is watching your team lose to the Cavs in 6 games then I would agree with you.
You and 'Sheed stay classy.
Thanks for playing!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wally Szczerbiak Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wally Szczerbiak - nude! (Nov '11) Nov '11 Jann 1
News Cavs: a 'cowardly betrayal' | The Columbus Disp... (Jul '10) Jul '10 Joe 29
News Michael Arace commentary: A trade to bring Shaq... (Jun '09) Jun '09 Keith Strohmeyer 1
News Cleveland Cavaliers fans give it to Charles Bar... (May '09) May '09 Kennyf428 4
News Maybe they should stop this one: Cavaliers on a... (May '09) May '09 joseph 2
News LeBron scores 34 as Cavaliers end long playoff ... (May '09) May '09 eger 3
News Cavaliers: Trade doesn't look likely before dea... (Apr '09) Apr '09 Bewitched 2
More from around the web