Lakers Squeeze Past San Antonio

Lakers Squeeze Past San Antonio

There are 17 comments on the www.wtag.com story from May 27, 2008, titled Lakers Squeeze Past San Antonio. In it, www.wtag.com reports that:

Kobe Bryant carried the Lakers on his back once again, scoring 28 points with 10 rebounds to place Los Angeles within one victory of the NBA Finals after a 93-91 victory over defending NBA-champion San Antonio ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.wtag.com.

Sam

Ashburn, VA

#3 May 28, 2008
Go Lakers, beat the the ______ out
of the San Antonio Spur's!!

Since: Mar 08

United States

#4 May 28, 2008
I just won a wager that I had with a friend because of they won! I usually make bets on who is going to win at www.wagerville.com . You should try it, maybe make a wager with me.
bboobbyy

Leesburg, VA

#5 May 28, 2008
kobe is amazing the best current player followed by lebron james than kevin garnett
Fan

Pasadena, CA

#6 May 29, 2008
bboobbyy wrote:
kobe is amazing the best current player followed by lebron james than kevin garnett
Yes Kobe is amazing, but it is still a team game. Lakers look best on offense when they move the ball. Spurs knew this and concentrated in shutting off the passing lanes. They wanted Kobe to revert to the one man gang of last season.

The last game was amazing because it was 8 on 5 all night long, and the Lakers still prevailed.
MJR

New Braunfels, TX

#7 May 29, 2008
Heard that Kobe was out with "another girl" but not his wife. Does this mean he has to purchase his wife another ring for her other hand in order to stay married to her???? His wife needs to leave him.

“Good luck with that”

Since: Dec 07

Eden Praire

#8 May 29, 2008
MJR wrote:
Heard that Kobe was out with "another girl" but not his wife. Does this mean he has to purchase his wife another ring for her other hand in order to stay married to her???? His wife needs to leave him.
Kobe is a disgusting rapist. And the fact his wife is still with him proves she only cares about the money.
TJ-n-Tally FL

Tallahassee, FL

#9 May 29, 2008
There's no team like the LAKERS!!! I hope we can go all the way!!
bboobbyy

Leesburg, VA

#10 May 29, 2008
TJ-n-Tally FL wrote:
There's no team like the LAKERS!!! I hope we can go all the way!!
well u better hope the celtics really screw up on the road cause it looks like they're going all the way
sammy

Ottawa, Canada

#11 May 29, 2008
MJR wrote:
Heard that Kobe was out with "another girl" but not his wife. Does this mean he has to purchase his wife another ring for her other hand in order to stay married to her???? His wife needs to leave him.
rumours
CHICK HEARN

AOL

#12 May 29, 2008
sammy wrote:
<quoted text>rumours
Rumors my dead @ss the good thing aboot being dead is seeing everything

“losers nit pick on topix”

Since: Jul 07

Earth

#13 May 29, 2008
Yessirrrrr. Boston/Detroit will NOT beat the Lakers.
Kobe is 1

Sydney, Australia

#14 May 29, 2008
CHICK HEARN wrote:
<quoted text>Rumors my dead @ss the good thing aboot being dead is seeing everything
lol...u see nothing, except for the lakers going back to the finals! Chick Hearn would be so happy!
Tatts

Pomona, CA

#15 May 29, 2008
The NBA has been experiencing a resurgence ever since the Suns traded for Shaquille O'Neal, the Lakers acquired Pau Gasol, the Mavericks got hoodwinked into snagging Jason Kidd and the Cavaliers picked up new spare parts for LeBron.
But there's one issue driving improved ratings that likely won't be touched by all the NBA talking heads on TNT and ESPN.
Tattoos. Or rather the lack of tattoos in the conference finals.
Part of the reason more people are watching these playoffs is because the average fan isn't constantly repulsed by the appearance of most of the players on the court. Most of the key players left in the playoffs don't look like recent prison parolees.
The only accurate way to describe Garnett, Pierce, Duncan, Allen, Manu, Parker and even Kobe is "clean cut." Yeah, there are a couple of tattoos in that group Duncan has something on his back, Kobe still has his post-rape-allegation tat but the Lakers, Spurs and Celtics have far less ink on average than your typical NBA franchise.
Allen Iverson and Carmelo Anthony have more tats on their hands than the entire Spurs roster.
I know many of you probably think the number of tattoos doesn't influence viewing habits. You're wrong. Like everything else televised, appearances matter. There's a reason you don't see nude scenes in movies with fat people. Trust me, fat people have sex. It's just no one wants to see it. Not even fat people.
No one wants to watch Delonte West or Larry Hughes play basketball. It's uncomfortable and disconcerting. You don't want your kids to see it. You don't want your kids to think they should decorate their neck, arms, hands, chest and legs in paint. You don't want to waste time explaining to your kids that some millionaire athletes have so little genuine self-confidence that they find it necessary to cover themselves in tattoos as a way to mask their insecurities.
You just want to watch basketball and feel like you're watching people you can relate to a little bit, people you somewhat respect.
We finally have that again on the NBA's biggest stage, and everyone can see it because the league's substance isn't covered in a barrel of tattoo ink.
David Stern has been arguing that the NBA is the best book. Ever since Ron Artest went into the stands, Stern has been slowly changing the cover of his book. The dress code and the age limit have helped. The midseason trades helped. Garnett's donning of a Celtics jersey really helped. Kobe's maturity and ascension to Jordan's throne has probably been the most important development. Kobe is everything the league wants LeBron James to be.
But don't underestimate how much having a visually pleasing product to look at has benefitted the league at conference finals time.
It's a television show. Pleasant smiles, non-threatening people sell products better than menacing, tattooed brutes.
If I was David Stern, I'd commission Nike and/or Under Armor to create a basketball jersey with long sleeves, all the way down to the wrists. I'd make Iverson wear a turtleneck jersey with sleeves. I'd cover the tats.
Do you think Sports Illustrated would let its swimsuit models cover themselves in tattoos? Models are paid to look good. Athletes are no different from models. Everyone accepts that female basketball players when possible are pushed to showcase their feminine beauty.
It's unfortunate that too many young athletes are too unenlightened to approach the game like a business. They resist almost all ideas that would put more money in their pockets. They have to be forced to do the little things that would help them make more money.
Growing NBA ratings is what's best for the players in the long term. Adopting a non-prison-ready appearance would help everyone in the league earn more money. But no one will talk about it

“losers nit pick on topix”

Since: Jul 07

Earth

#17 May 29, 2008
Tatts,

your comment is by far the most interesting post i have read since being on topix. the NBA should thank you for really speaking out on the importance of appearance when it comes to playing basketball. it is a business and i don't know any "boss" who would allow their employee to work for them looking like an ink tank. kudos to you!
Kobe is 1

Sydney, Australia

#18 May 30, 2008
Tatts,

why did you just copy and paste an entire article??
try

Italy

#19 May 30, 2008
go kobe
prova

Italy

#20 May 30, 2008
go lakers, kobe's the best

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vladimir Radmanovic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Warriors' Andris Biedrins needs to get involved (Jan '11) Feb '11 John 4
News Gordon scores 25 in Clips' 105-91 rout of Warriors (Jan '11) Jan '11 ipodman98 1
News Ellis scores 36, Warriors beat Kings in OT (Dec '10) Dec '10 Reybuenabal 1
News NBA Rumors: The Golden State Warriors Need to T... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Rey Buenabal 1
News Sources: Warriors close to trading Anthony Rand... (Jul '10) Jul '10 AVHS Dad 2
News Golden State Warriors' report card for 2009-10 ... (Apr '10) Apr '10 Captain Jack 1
News SHELBURNE: Gasol now just one of the guys (Nov '09) Nov '09 anthony leroy morley 1
More from around the web