Chicago Bulls hire Vinny Del Negro as...

Chicago Bulls hire Vinny Del Negro as new head coach

There are 131 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 9, 2008, titled Chicago Bulls hire Vinny Del Negro as new head coach. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The Bulls have offered their head coaching job to Vinny Del Negro , which the Suns' assistant general manager is prepared to accept, sources said Monday.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Dan From Guthrie

Chicago, IL

#1 Jun 9, 2008
Who??

“University of Chief Illiniwek”

Since: Jun 08

Chicago, IL

#2 Jun 9, 2008
Vinny Del Negro? Huh? Who? We waited almost two months for this guy?
RealReality

United States

#4 Jun 9, 2008
FAIL
Terry

Bath, ME

#5 Jun 9, 2008
"Little is known about his basketball philosophy since he never has coached before."

That's encouraging

Now all they need to do is deal away the top pick for two 2nd round choices and we'll all be happy.

Hope I'm wrong.

I really do.
Brendan

Cary, IL

#6 Jun 9, 2008
What? Who? Wasn't this guy a kicker for the Bucaneers in the 80's?
Ken

Chicago, IL

#7 Jun 9, 2008
Isn't Averey Johnson available? Oh well, I guess its 'better' to have an inexperienced coach manage a high round draft pick. Yeah, I understand. That makes perfect sense..........
Hal

North Aurora, IL

#8 Jun 9, 2008
A bit like Obama; we know very little about him, but he is young and has some nice credentials.

I personally liked Collins a lot, since he is "one of us" from Illinois and has so much experience. It really showed a lot of class when he declined and gave his reasons. Sort of rare these days.

Hoping for the best.
Dan From Guthrie

Chicago, IL

#9 Jun 9, 2008
What qualifications does this guy have? None?? Good job Paxson!
Waiting

Chicago Heights, IL

#10 Jun 9, 2008
Well, I think we should have waited longer. Might be a good time to go back to being a Celtic fan!
dave

United States

#11 Jun 9, 2008
We couldn't wait for Thibedeau? So, we wanted a guy with head coaching experience and ended up with a guy who has no coaching experience at all?
DOC

AOL

#12 Jun 9, 2008
Why did I know we would go this route? I like Vinny but he has no head coaching experience? Why not Avery Johnson or even Flip Saunders? Here we go again......
Mondestrunken

San Jose, CA

#13 Jun 9, 2008
April Fools! Oh wait...it's June.
Fire the GM

Bolingbrook, IL

#14 Jun 9, 2008
He did not make the final four choices in Pheonix and he was an in-house candidate? Nice choice
Granville Waiters

Chicago, IL

#15 Jun 9, 2008
This is a great hire because ... because ... well, I'm just trying to be optimistic. But remember: when Doug Collins was fired and Phil Jackson installed as his successor, Bulls fans were aghast. Every great coach was an unknown commodity at some point. Let's hope Pax knows what the hell he's doing.
lynn

Richton Park, IL

#16 Jun 9, 2008
Are the bulls trying to suck? They go and hire someone who has NEVER coached... let me repeat that... NEVER coached, not even pee-wee league is insane! There are a few good assistants who will be coming off the championships in a week or so and to not wait until they are available for interviews is crazy! Believe me... Del Negro will still be around in a few weeks!!!
Jeff

Houston, TX

#17 Jun 9, 2008
Del Negro was a decent back up guard in his day, but to hire a guy with no experience after the season the Bulls had and after they had the opportunity to hire proven NBA head coaches in either Dantoni or Collins is extremely puzzling. Del Negro was not going anywhere, atleast they could have waited and spoken the Celtics assistant Thebadox atleast he has coaching experience. Very poor choice all things considered.
Tom

United States

#19 Jun 9, 2008
A pathetic selection. Reinsdorf should use his veto power for the third time.
Only in Chicago

Park Forest, IL

#21 Jun 9, 2008
The Bulls owner J.R. should sell the team to someone who has a passion for the sport and is willing to spend the money to attract top notch talent.

The Bulls will be relegated to living on their past success.
Mike

Nevada, MO

#22 Jun 9, 2008
Hope this doesn't mean the bulls will draft the PG.
gluttal catch

Springfield, IL

#23 Jun 9, 2008
Mondestrunken wrote:
April Fools! Oh wait...it's June.
My thoughts exactly! What kind of message is Pax sending? Win, eventually?????

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vinny Del Negro Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Del Negro reaches deal to coach Clippers (Jul '10) Jul '10 Weird Guy 4
News Can't let focus falter (Feb '09) Feb '09 Tiffany 122
News Noah trying to harness his energy (Oct '08) Feb '09 gonzo 7
News Bulls work to carry winning road show to United... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Tiffany 166
News Drew Gooden upbeat about return to Bulls (Feb '09) Feb '09 Tiffany 13
News Bulls' Joakim Noah feeling more comfortable on ... (Jan '09) Feb '09 Nada Surf 31
News Good vibes for Bulls (Feb '09) Feb '09 Tiffany 56
More from around the web