Magic hold off Nets

Magic hold off Nets

There are 94 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Mar 6, 2009, titled Magic hold off Nets. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

The Orlando Magic warmed up for pivotal games against Eastern Conference powers Boston and Detroit with a tougher-than-expected 105-102 victory against the New Jersey Nets Friday night at Amway Arena.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Magic Fan Mark

Deland, FL

#1 Mar 6, 2009
This game didn't make me to excited about the upcoming Boston/Detroit back to back set. 13 points out of Hedo is not going to help us get it done.

I think Sunday and Monday will show us just who our Orlando Magic really are. If we lose both games I would suggest that we should lower expectations for this season. If we fight and win at least one of them then it will be a big moral victory.
Lou to the Rescue

Clermont, FL

#2 Mar 6, 2009
Phew! Close game. This one had the making of a let down game but thank god the Magic pulled it off since they play back-to-back road games against the Celtics and the Pistons on Sunday and Monday. Right now, Boston is playing very well against Cleveland without KG.
Jon

Orlando, FL

#3 Mar 6, 2009
Big win with the 2 probable losses coming Sunday and Monday. I would be thrilled to win either of those games. It will take our best shot to beat Boston, and then we will be tired playing Detroit. Doesnt look good.
Magic Fan Mark

Deland, FL

#4 Mar 6, 2009
It will probably come down to the Magic's accuracy and energy. We know they are going to sit outside and launch 3s the whole game. If they are landing and the Magic are inspired and have the energy to play great defense we COULD win either game. It just depends on how well they are shooting IMO. Outside of a high percentage from the 3 point line Orlando has no chance.
Jim

Eddyville, KY

#5 Mar 6, 2009
First of all..I called this win folks. Let me get that out of the way first.

Unfortunately this actually counts as a loss. Terrible defense. Absolutely atrocious. Simply put, it's not gonna get it done.

No sense even watching the next two games against Boston and Detroit. Those will be easy wins for the Celtics and the Pistons.

The Magic barely beat a poor team on their home floor. Do they really have a chance of beating Boston and or Detroit in their buildings ? Let me think...ahh..NO.
Jon

Orlando, FL

#6 Mar 6, 2009
Boston looks pretty darn good right now. I cant see us beating them up there. And Detroit is winning again. the magic will need all the mental toughness they can find.
Magic Fan Mark

Deland, FL

#7 Mar 6, 2009
Jim wrote:
LOL

Like who didn't? Not exactly a Nostradamus call there Jim.
Jim

Eddyville, KY

#8 Mar 6, 2009
The Celtics are loaded with tough physical hard nosed players. Most of their players would run through a wall to get what they want. They are going to finish with the number one spot in the East. Cleveland will finish at number two.

Boston gets a lot of easy baskets with their bigs down in the low post. This is in addition to what the Big 3 get.

The Magic just don't have that. They live and die by the 3 point shot. Yes they have Howard, but he is not a real dominant force as of yet. Plus he misses a lot of flip shots as well as free throws.

The Magic players also don't hit the floor after loose balls. They back away from any kind of contact. They are strictly a regular season wonder. The only way they succeed in the playoffs is if they face another soft team like theirs.

So simply put it will be the Pistons or the Celtics who will knock the Magic out of the playoffs this year.

We will get a preview of how both the Celtics and the Pistons own the Magic in these next two games folks.
Jon

Orlando, FL

#9 Mar 6, 2009
Jim wrote:
Unfortunately this actually counts as a loss. Terrible defense. Absolutely atrocious. Simply put, it's not gonna get it done.
No sense even watching the next two games against Boston and Detroit. Those will be easy wins for the Celtics and the Pistons.
The Magic barely beat a poor team on their home floor. Do they really have a chance of beating Boston and or Detroit in their buildings ? Let me think...ahh..NO.
The good thing is the magic are a good road team. The bad thing is... not in Boston or Detroit.

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

#10 Mar 6, 2009
Jim wrote:
Please Jim, your act is way past old. Ya know the frustrating thing with you. You actually have good posts when you are not acting like a putz...which is not often.
Jim

Eddyville, KY

#11 Mar 6, 2009
Magic Fan Mark wrote:
It will probably come down to the Magic's accuracy and energy. We know they are going to sit outside and launch 3s the whole game. If they are landing and the Magic are inspired and have the energy to play great defense we COULD win either game. It just depends on how well they are shooting IMO. Outside of a high percentage from the 3 point line Orlando has no chance.
The Magic WILL NOT hit their 3's. End of story. Same old story too against both of these teams.

Face it, the Magic have no chance of beating either of them...now or in the playoffs especially.

This is why the Magic need 1 or 2 big rough players up front.
Jim

Eddyville, KY

#12 Mar 6, 2009
Magic Fan Mark wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL
Like who didn't? Not exactly a Nostradamus call there Jim.
Yeah Mark, but they almost gave this one away. The defense needs to improve a whole lot.
Jon

Orlando, FL

#13 Mar 6, 2009
The reason we lose to those teams is they have way better size than we do. Most teams have to throw all their bigs at Howard and its still not enough.
Boston has Perkins, Powe, big baby, garnett when healthy, and now mikki moore. Detroit has Wallace, Mcdyess, Maxiell, Brown. Thats just too many fresh bodies to throw at Howard throughout the game. SVG should think about playing Battie alot more in these games.
SentinelBlather

Orlando, FL

#14 Mar 6, 2009
Hedo sucked for 3 and 1/2 quarters. He had turnovers galore and didn't even jump for some rebounds. Boo - Boo. Hedo also thought defense was for some 2nd stringers not for a hero like him. Boo - Boo. Some of Hedo's passes would get him pulled off the floor by a high school coach. Boo - Boo. Hedo's last 2 shots were typical of a guy out of focus. Keep it up Hedo and when you look for a new contract this year they will offer you less money.
Jim

Eddyville, KY

#15 Mar 6, 2009
Jon wrote:
<quoted text>
The good thing is the magic are a good road team. The bad thing is... not in Boston or Detroit.
Jon the truth is the Magic can beat any team in the West. IF they were to get to the Finals I believe they could get it done there...Utah could give them some problems bith Boozer back and their overall physical play.

The only problem is the Celtics and the Pistons. One of, or both of these teams stand in the way of the Magic.
Jim

Eddyville, KY

#16 Mar 6, 2009
Michael in Ocoee wrote:
<quoted text>
Please Jim, your act is way past old. Ya know the frustrating thing with you. You actually have good posts when you are not acting like a putz...which is not often.
Mike forgive me for not jumping up and down like a drunken cheerleader in celebration of this pathetic effort tonight by the Magic.

I like to think big picture. And in thinking this way I can clearly see that it is best to keep the expectation levels low when it comes to this Magic team.

Mike can you honestly say you were thrilled with tonights effort ? Did you like the defense in the first half ?
Jon

Orlando, FL

#17 Mar 6, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>Jon the truth is the Magic can beat any team in the West. IF they were to get to the Finals I believe they could get it done there...Utah could give them some problems bith Boozer back and their overall physical play.
The only problem is the Celtics and the Pistons. One of, or both of these teams stand in the way of the Magic.
Agreed, for the reasons I stated earlier. What do you think of a Howard- Gortat combo on the floor together? I think Gortat is 3rd in the NBA in rebounds per minute.
Jon

Orlando, FL

#18 Mar 6, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah Mark, but they almost gave this one away. The defense needs to improve a whole lot.
Gave it away? They had to come back in the 4th quarter. If anything, the nets gave it away.
Jim

Eddyville, KY

#19 Mar 6, 2009
Jon wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed, for the reasons I stated earlier. What do you think of a Howard- Gortat combo on the floor together? I think Gortat is 3rd in the NBA in rebounds per minute.
I think anything is worth a try against these guys at this point.

I would also try to run against both of them. Force the tempo and don't allow them to get into their defensive sets.

“If you say it, back it up”

Since: Jan 08

Ocoee, FL

#20 Mar 6, 2009
Jim wrote:
<quoted text>Mike forgive me for not jumping up and down like a drunken cheerleader in celebration of this pathetic effort tonight by the Magic.
I like to think big picture. And in thinking this way I can clearly see that it is best to keep the expectation levels low when it comes to this Magic team.
Mike can you honestly say you were thrilled with tonights effort ? Did you like the defense in the first half ?
Yes, I was thrilled. And then I come in here and here your same old tired dribble. Please, drop the predictions, the over use of the word "folks", and the "doesn't count as a win" routine and you'd be one of the best posters here. Your like Shaq, talented when you stay on task, but INCREDIBLE annoying when trying to draw attention to youself. And like Shaq, you actually think you are providing some sort of entertainment value.

Seriously, you are a good poster with out all that. I stopped coming in for awhile because it was tiring going thru all the Jim posts and the "I hate Jim" posts to find the good stuff. Then add in the LMAO's, and the Tiffany's, and your Frank personna....and it just wasn't worth it. When I come in looking forward to kenny (with a small "k") posts...you know something is wrong.:-)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Vince Carter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Spurs 109, Mavericks 103 (May '14) May '14 Celia 2
News Dallas Mavericks are the Team No Playoff Team W... (Feb '14) Feb '14 Jake 1
News More milestones: Vince Carter shoots past Bird ... (Feb '13) Feb '13 Go Blue Forever 1
News Vince Carter Blew His Bad Breath in Rudy Gay's ... (Apr '12) Apr '12 Hiram 1
News Reports detail candidates' war chests (Feb '12) Feb '12 JoyceV 3
News Magic 128, Timberwolves 86: Two routs in two Fl... (Nov '10) Nov '10 fracas 1
News George Diaz: Gilbert Arenas not a good fit for ... (Jun '10) Jun '10 Tiffany 2
More from around the web