Pacers expect O'Neal to return

Pacers expect O'Neal to return

There are 37 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jan 21, 2008, titled Pacers expect O'Neal to return. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

While Jermaine O'Neal has thrown out the possibility of missing the rest of the season to allow his left knee to heal, the Indiana Pacers don't expect that.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Real Deal

United States

#21 Jan 22, 2008
You guys are way too harsh on Jermaine. He's obviously not playing at a 100% right now and he just wants to go back to the way he was. A lot of you guys are asking when Jermaine has ever dominated so I guess you guys were not watching the year the Pacers won 61 games and he was third in MVP votes. The only thing that has stopped him from playing that way was injury. If he gets back healthy 100% I believe that he is a top ten scorer and rebounder and top 3 in blocks. I think that the reason why we played better with O'Neal out was because he was injured when he played and also because he played the power forward position and another big man played the center position. This team plays a lot better when he plays center.
John

Evansville, IN

#22 Jan 22, 2008
Pacers are awesome!!!!
Shawne Williams needs pt

Kenosha, WI

#23 Jan 22, 2008
The Pacers are not giving Shawne Williams enough playing time.
True BlueandGold

Indianapolis, IN

#24 Jan 22, 2008
Ok let's start off bye saying GET OFF LARRY!!! This is his first year running the show and who knows how much influence donny still has? Lets just thanks the Detroit PUNKS & fans included for killing our team. Everybody was ok with our bad boy image with Thomas lead team. But when the fist started flying for real the fans got scared.Ron tried to do the right thing till a fan threw a drink on him...We were killing them bye 15 with a min and change left....why were Det. starters ? Heck ron still wishes he was still here....And we all know the rest of the story...I've watched the gms this year and i like our team. Dunlevey is sold and needs to be more involved and rush is a man on a mission.Ike was having a strong year before he got hurt and Murphy can get 12 and 10 like he does hes not a superstar HE"S A ROLE PLAYER!!! Granger was the steal of the draft does anyone give Bird the props for that? J.O need to go i love ya man but see ya. We need two key players to be dangerous look at all the gms we've lost this year when we had big leads in them. Our record should be alot better than it is....So like i said GET OFF LARRY HE"S GONNA BE FINE!!!!
Jeff in Anderson

Indianapolis, IN

#25 Jan 22, 2008
This really killed any trade value. If he takes off the rest of the year, so what. We need the time to work the young guys like Ike, Shawn, Danny, Deiner, Owens, Graham and Harrison to see if they are truly going to be part of the players to fit our system. JO taking 30+ minutes a night and we can use them to establish what we need. I am sure a few of those guys will be identified as not compatable thus giving us spots to fill in needed areas. This takes a lot of time and the tradeline looming is not enough. Shut JO down for the season and unless someone offers a trade that is in our best interests don't trade him right now. By the time we find out who are compatable players are that are on the team, then we can package some of the young guys that don't fit the scheme with a healthy JO for a descent trade offer.
oldady

Freetown, IN

#26 Jan 23, 2008
Jermaine needs to stay out for good and give the Pacers a cance to reach .500 or greater. He is what is holding the team back. God bless the Indiana Pacers!!
oldady

Freetown, IN

#27 Jan 23, 2008
HSH wrote:
Everythime when i read the comments, i am disapointed from you guys. There is no positive comment. You are talking like you know all about JO, JT and all the guys. But i guess no one knows the real background. give the pacers a break!! It's allmost a new team and they need some time. Is there nothing positive to write about? Where are the real pacer fans?
I am a true Pacer Fan. They are professionals and it is time or possibly past time for them All of them to play together and know what to do. It doesn't take years to learn. They are not little children. It is time to grow up and realize that without Jermaine they can and do play ball. They produce. The question is will Jermaine suddenly be well to play in the All Stars or will he still be benched. He does this every year as well. He wants to play in the All Stars and the h**l with the Indiana Pacers... Get rid of Jermaine and the rest of the team are team players.
oldady

Freetown, IN

#28 Jan 23, 2008
True BlueandGold wrote:
Ok let's start off bye saying GET OFF LARRY!!! This is his first year running the show and who knows how much influence donny still has? Lets just thanks the Detroit PUNKS & fans included for killing our team. Everybody was ok with our bad boy image with Thomas lead team. But when the fist started flying for real the fans got scared.Ron tried to do the right thing till a fan threw a drink on him...We were killing them bye 15 with a min and change left....why were Det. starters ? Heck ron still wishes he was still here....And we all know the rest of the story...I've watched the gms this year and i like our team. Dunlevey is sold and needs to be more involved and rush is a man on a mission.Ike was having a strong year before he got hurt and Murphy can get 12 and 10 like he does hes not a superstar HE"S A ROLE PLAYER!!! Granger was the steal of the draft does anyone give Bird the props for that? J.O need to go i love ya man but see ya. We need two key players to be dangerous look at all the gms we've lost this year when we had big leads in them. Our record should be alot better than it is....So like i said GET OFF LARRY HE"S GONNA BE FINE!!!!
I agree, Larry is Great! He has been dealt a bad hand and he is trying to draw a better one. Give him a chance. Oft times it isn't what you have been dealt, but what you do with what you have. Leave him alone, he will figure it out. God bless you Larry.
oldady

Freetown, IN

#29 Jan 23, 2008
I like the team we have with the excveption of Jermaine O'Neal. Go Pacers! Given a chance they will do a good job! Praise them, don't diss them.
Rich

Indianapolis, IN

#30 Jan 23, 2008
crunch wrote:
<quoted text>
Another poster has some good examples - although I think Dunleavy might continue to be productive in this type of offense. The other thing Bird has done wrong is that he didn't blow up the team for a year to start over. We've needed to do that since the final Artest issue. He only blew up part of the team at a time, hashing around a grey area trying to slowly cut out a cancer while not giving up the ghost. Rather than get it all done at once, the rebuilding, he chose to try to keep us "competitive" while fixing the problems. I disagree with that, and attendance at games backs me up. With hard working losers playing, diving for loose balls, sweating, being loveable losers for a year, the fans might have stayed - and might have respected Bird for making a tough call to sacrifice a year for a franchise's future.
I love JO's game, but this isn't his system, and it's past time for him to move on - though I wish him well. Foster is great, but not properly used. Tinsley won't ever be welcomed here, but I bet the Knicks would have him. Harrison will not be in the league next year, unless someone has a slot open and wants to gamble.
OH, and I'd add Erazem Lorbek to the list against Bird, nothing personal against EL, but why bother on a 4 year advance prospect?
And, the Heat should've let Shaq go two years ago and Dwayne Wade is over rated. Real easy to pick people apart after the fact. And, you can't blow a team up as you put it unless you have other teams that are willing to take the contracts...this isn't the NFL.

One last point...Bird didn't have one single thing to do with all the off the court problems and that's why people stopped going to games.
Rich

Indianapolis, IN

#31 Jan 23, 2008
who cares wrote:
<quoted text>
Well...how about trading a future number 1 draft choice for a player that was cut during training camp? Or how about trading for Murphy's franchise killer contract? Or not trading J.O. when he actually had value? Or not trading Tinsley when he still had value? Or signing Sarunas? Or the inability for him to have a team that obeys basic society laws? That's just off the top of my head.
I'm glad you have a crystal ball and can forsee the future.
who cares

United States

#32 Jan 23, 2008
True BlueandGold wrote:
Can't give Bird credit for Granger. Granger fell so far in the draft...any idiot would have picked him. Getting a player that was projected to be a Top 10 pick at number 17 isn't genius. It's luck.
who cares

United States

#33 Jan 23, 2008
Rich wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm glad you have a crystal ball and can forsee the future.
As I remember it, ALL of the mentioned moves were even questioned at the time...and as it turns out, most of us were right in our assessment. Either way, he's made a slew of bad moves. His past as a GM has done nothing to give us any confidence that he knows what he is doing or that he will make better decisions in the future.
who cares

United States

#34 Jan 23, 2008
Rich wrote:
<quoted text>
One last point...Bird didn't have one single thing to do with all the off the court problems and that's why people stopped going to games.
Most of this happened under his watch (or co-watch with Donnie)...which means he is at the heart of the problem.
FORMER PACER FAN

New Albany, IN

#35 Feb 27, 2008
AS I WENT TO BED LAST NIGHT ONE OF THE LAST THINGS I SAW WAS YET AGAIN ANOTHER HUMILIATING AND EMBARASSING STORY ABOUT ONE OF THE PACERS.(MARQUISE DANIELS) NOW IT SEEMS THAT 5 DETECTIVES ARE INVESTIGATING ACCUSATIONS OF RAPE AGAINST SOMEONE STAYING IN MARQUISE'S HOME. MY QUESTION IS THIS...WHAT KIND OF TEAM DO WE HAVE HERE, AND WHEN DO WE TELL THEM TO MOVE ON...OR FIRE THESE PLAYERS CAUSING SUCH A COMMOTION DAILY IN OUR LIVES.(I.E. SHOOTINGS, RIOTS AT GAMES, BAD PRESS, STRIP CLUB BRAWLS, RAPE ACCUSATIONS)
IF THIS WERE ANY OTHER GROUP OTHER THAN AN NBA TEAM, THEY WOULD BE CLASSIFIED AS GANG BANGERS. THERE WOULD BE NO CONSIDERATION FOR THESE MEN, THEY WOULD GO TO JAIL. I GUESS THE FACT THAT THEY ARE ALL MILLIONAIRES MAKES THEM HIGH CLASS THUGS. IT'S EMBARASSING. IT'S TIME FOR US AS A COMMUNITY TO STAND UP AND SAY WE'RE NOT TAKING ANY MORE. THEY NEED TO UNDERSTAND THAT THEY PLAY BY OUR CITIES RULES ALSO, AND LIKE A GAME, THEY CAN BE EJECTED. I DON'T WANT TO WATCH A TEAM OF PLAYERS WHO REPRESENT SUCH HORRIBLE ROLE MODELS FOR OUR CHILDREN. WHILE I KNOW IT'S NOT FAIR TO GROUP THEM ALL IN ON THIS, IT SEEMS THAT THE GOOD WHOLESOME PLAYERS WHO CAUSE NO PROBLEMS ARE DEFINATELY A MINORITY TO THIS TEAM. THE THUG PLAYERS WHO ARE RUNNING AROUND TOWN ACTING LIKE THEY OWN THE PLACE ARE OVER SHADOWING ANY GOOD THAT THE TEAM CAN ACCOMPLISH NOW.
I AM SAD TO SAY THAT I AM A FORMER PACER'S FAN WHO FEELS EXTREMELY SORRY FOR LARRY BYRD, AND THE MESS HE HAS TO DEAL WITH DAILY FROM THIS IMMATURE GROUP OF SO CALLED MEN.(THUGS)
YET ANOTHER PACER PROBLEM

New Albany, IN

#36 Feb 27, 2008
I AM SO TIRED OF WAKING UP AND BEING EMBARASSED BY YET ANOTHER THUG PLAYER FROM OUR BELOVED PACERS. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO OUR TEAM?(RAPE ACCUSATIONS, STRIP CLUB SHOOTING, DOWNTOWN SHOOTING, GAME BRAWLS, YOU NAME IT. IT'S JUST AN EMBARASSMENT TO THE FEW GOOD LAW ABIDING HARDCORE PLAYERS THAT WE HAVE LEFT! I JUST FEEL SO BAD FOR LARRY BYRD FOR BEING SADDLED WITH A BUNCH OF GANGSTA WANNABE'S. HE IS A FINE MAN, AND A FINE COACH, AND THESE HANDFUL OF LOSERS NEED TO GO! THEY ARE BRINGING A BLACK MARK TO A STATE THAT HAS ALWAYS BEEN KNOWN AS A FARMING STATE WITH A BASKETBALL HEART.
LARRY- I AM SORRY YOU ARE IN THIS POSITION YET AGAIN BECAUSE OF ONE OF THESE HOODLUM'S WE CALL PLAYERS. PLEASE GET RID OF SOME OF THE EMBARASSMENT. DUMP THE THUG MINDED TROUBLEMAKER'S, AND ALLOW THE TEAM OF GENUINELY GOOD PLAYERS TO GET BACK THEIR PACER PRIDE!!!
WE ALL WANT OUR PACER PRIDE BACK!!! THIS IS INDIANA! WE LIVE FOR BASKETBALL, BUT EVEN IN THE BASKETBALL STATE, NO ONE WANTS TO ASSOCIATE WITH DEVIATES, AND CRIMINALS. IT'S NOT GOOD FOR ANY OF US!
YET ANOTHER PACER PROBLEM

New Albany, IN

#37 Feb 28, 2008
ANOTHER DAY, ANOTHER PACER PROBLEM....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Troy Murphy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Murphy picks Celts over Heat (Mar '11) Mar '11 simple city chick 1
News Warriors to acquire Troy Murphy from New Jersey... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Dave 1
News Calderon for Granger makes sense (Aug '10) Aug '10 King General 1
News Timberwolves' David Kahn refutes trade reports ... (Jun '10) Jun '10 America the Great 12
News Do the Indiana Pacers' Hopes Hinge on Tyler Han... (Aug '09) Aug '09 GO UNC 1
News Athletes keep in touch by Twittering (May '09) May '09 Gail Sideman 2
News Pacers lose key game to Bulls (Mar '09) Apr '09 Nada Surf 12
More from around the web