Charles Barkley's view: Phil Jackson ...

Charles Barkley's view: Phil Jackson will leave the Lakers

There are 21 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jun 14, 2009, titled Charles Barkley's view: Phil Jackson will leave the Lakers. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The bottom line is that the Lakers are the better team, and Orlando had no chance of winning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mr_Tony23

Chicago Heights, IL

#1 Jun 15, 2009
i agree with you sir charles. Kobe didn't do that Michael Jordan jump and kick when he won the previous three. But if shaq goes to clevland, then they have to be the favorites coming out of the east next season.
Mel

United States

#2 Jun 15, 2009
Mr_Tony23 wrote:
i agree with you sir charles. Kobe didn't do that Michael Jordan jump and kick when he won the previous three. But if shaq goes to clevland, then they have to be the favorites coming out of the east next season.
Let's see. Two egos, one ball.
WoW

Naperville, IL

#3 Jun 15, 2009
Doesn't someone edit these for quality before they are published. My Lord... that is just horrible writing.

“Hey topix”

Since: Jun 09

roaming ny

#4 Jun 15, 2009
Lol, yep Mel you're right. Shaq's gonna eat Lebron before Finals.
achilles

United States

#5 Jun 15, 2009
who cares??? go bulls i live in la but will always love my chi town teams
Amerdica

Cincinnati, OH

#6 Jun 15, 2009
kobe still didnt do it alone like mike, the only other good player michael had was pippen. kobe has odom (who is like pippen), gasol, bynum( hima and gasol equal shaq). and ariza who came out of no where. jordan never had 2 centers as good as kobe
Pastor Joe

Orlando, FL

#7 Jun 15, 2009
Orlando beat themselves. You exchange coaches and Orlando wins going away!
drake

Waldorf, MD

#8 Jun 15, 2009
Amerdica wrote:
kobe still didnt do it alone like mike, the only other good player michael had was pippen. kobe has odom (who is like pippen), gasol, bynum( hima and gasol equal shaq). and ariza who came out of no where. jordan never had 2 centers as good as kobe
Huh? You clearly know nothing about basketball. MJ realized in his early days he couldn't win it alone. He would score 60-70 points and still lose.

I guess you forgot MJ had an outstanding cast to support him in his championship years. Lets take a look at his teamates:

-Horace Grant (Former All-Star Team)
-Scottie Pippen (former All-Star team)
-Dennis Rodman (Former All-Star team)
-Ron Harper (Former All-Star team)
-BJ Armstrong (Former All-Star Team)
-Tony Kukoc
-Bill Cartwright
-Will Perdue
-John Paxson

....are just a few. Take a look at some of the teammates where on the All-Star team at some point in there career. By the way...I am leaving off a few names because the list goes on....
Do me a favor...do your home work and research the supporting cast MJ had. You are obvious spewing crap out and know nothing about basketball.
drake

Waldorf, MD

#9 Jun 15, 2009
Pastor Joe wrote:
Orlando beat themselves. You exchange coaches and Orlando wins going away!
No....Orlando got there butts handed to them with no issue. So what you are saying is Orlando beat themselves four times??? That doesn't even make sense. They cannot match up with the Lakers. Maybe if they stop getting these two for one players at the local flea market and spend a little more, they would of beat the Lakers. The Lakers had to much fire power for Orlando to hand.
drake

Waldorf, MD

#10 Jun 15, 2009
Mr_Tony23 wrote:
How is that? Every where Shaq goes he destroys a team. He slows the offense down. Look what he did to the Suns and after the Heat's Championship team. That is why teams like Dallas don't won't him. Cleveland needs Shaq to keep Lebron and to sell tickets. Clevleland Cavs overall are a cheap club and don't like to pay out for players. The Lakers do, and they win, Boston does, and they win, Detriot did, and they won, The NY Yankees did and they won. The bottomline, if you pay a team will win championships.
joe

Valencia, CA

#11 Jun 15, 2009
drake wrote:
<quoted text> Huh? You clearly know nothing about basketball. MJ realized in his early days he couldn't win it alone. He would score 60-70 points and still lose.
I guess you forgot MJ had an outstanding cast to support him in his championship years. Lets take a look at his teamates:
-Tony Kukoc
-Bill Cartwright
-Will Perdue
-John Paxson
....are just a few. Take a look at some of the teammates where on the All-Star team at some point in there career. By the way...I am leaving off a few names because the list goes on....
Do me a favor...do your home work and research the supporting cast MJ had. You are obvious spewing crap out and know nothing about basketball.
My friend you are so right... NOT TO MENTION STEVE KERR!!!

I mean come one people, do people really think Michael Jordan played one-on-five basketball? I don't think so. Dennis Rodman (leader in rebounds), Scottie Pippen (leader in steals), Michael Jordan (leader in scoring). It's amazing that some people still think Jordan could have won a championship with a subpar supporting cast. That's unheard of.

Please note, I'm not saying that Kobe is at the same level as Jordan. Jordan is a 10, Kobe a 9.9 and I believe that's how its going to be for a long time. But most definitely, Kobe is #2 to Jordan and #3 goes to Jerry West. I can't think of anyone who is close to these three. But most definitely, people need to understand that the 90's Bulls had an outstanding supporting cast, plus the best shooting guard of all time.

Lastly, drake, Jordan never scored 70 points.:-)
Amerdica

Cincinnati, OH

#12 Jun 15, 2009
"
-Tony Kukoc
-Bill Cartwright
-Will Perdue
-John Paxson"

i know what im talking about but you obviosly dont. everyone on your "list" is no where near the skill level of a gasol/bynum or odom. only pippen was good enough to mention and rodman, further extent kukoc. come on jordan didnt have a servicable big man. cartwright, purdue, wennington sucked (compared to gasol/bynum) harper was in the twilight of his career. grant was overrated i liked how he played but odom is better. im a big bulls fan and loved the 90s teams, but kobe had a bit more weapons than jordan. jordan made everyone else better. these lakers make kobe better. BIG DIFFERENCE. the players you mentioned did not make jordan better. the only player that stayed on both 3peats was pippen. it didnt matter who else played, jordan elivated their game
NealFnPorter

Washington, DC

#13 Jun 15, 2009
Amerdica, how old are you? Sure the Lakers have a decent supporting cast, if they didnt, they wouldn't have won. BUT you mention 3 Bulls centers, but leave Luc Longley off (who started ALL 3 of the second grouping of championships). Pippen is named one of the 50 best NBA players of all time. To mention Odom in the same breath is a sin. I will also put this out there. I've never seen a smarter player than Dennis Rodman. History of the game. His eye on the court, was FAR better than his OUTSTANDING rebounding and defensive skills. Sorry, but you are half right. You underestimate how GOOD the Bulls were as a team. They almost won a championship WITHOUT Michael Jordan, and the only reason they didnt: Hue Hollins phantom foul call in 94.

Lamar Odom and Pippen in the same breath. Gotta be kidding me.
RichFnCohen

North East, PA

#14 Jun 15, 2009
NealFnPorter and Drake - come on now. You overrate most of the players on the Bulls championship teams. Pippen was a very good player. I'm not sure if history will agree that he was top 50 all-time, but clearly a perennial all-star. But, the rest of the guys, not so great. B. J Armstrong an all-star? Don't make me laugh. It's called coat-tails, fellas. Rodman was a smart roll-player, but his passing was really overrated, his free throw shooting was god-awful and he had ZERO offensive game. He was nice defender that got away with flops and aggressiveness because of his reputation. Longley, Wennington, Perdue, Cartwright were all crap foul machines. Harper was the shell of his former all-star self. Kerr, Paxson, Kukoc etc could be just about anyone in the NBA that would hit a wide open shot when Jordan was being triple or quadruple teamed. If you compare supporting casts:

Gasol > or = to Scottie (this is debatable, but let's see where Gasol's career ends up)
Odom > Grant/Rodman
Bynum > Cartwright, Wennington, Perdue, Longley
Fisher >= Paxson, Kerr, Armstrong, late career Harper
Ariza >= Other Bulls role players

Jordan was just THAT good!
joe

Valencia, CA

#15 Jun 15, 2009
RichFnCohen wrote:
NealFnPorter and Drake - come on now. You overrate most of the players on the Bulls championship teams. Pippen was a very good player. I'm not sure if history will agree that he was top 50 all-time, but clearly a perennial all-star. But, the rest of the guys, not so great. B. J Armstrong an all-star? Don't make me laugh. It's called coat-tails, fellas. Rodman was a smart roll-player, but his passing was really overrated, his free throw shooting was god-awful and he had ZERO offensive game. He was nice defender that got away with flops and aggressiveness because of his reputation. Longley, Wennington, Perdue, Cartwright were all crap foul machines. Harper was the shell of his former all-star self. Kerr, Paxson, Kukoc etc could be just about anyone in the NBA that would hit a wide open shot when Jordan was being triple or quadruple teamed. If you compare supporting casts:
Gasol > or = to Scottie (this is debatable, but let's see where Gasol's career ends up)
Odom > Grant/Rodman
Pippen = 6x NBA Champion, 7x NBA All-Star, 1x NBA All-Star MVP, 3x All-NBA First Team, 8x NBA All-Defensive First Team, NBA 50th All-Time Team. Gasol > Pippen? I don’t think so. Don’t get me wrong, I love Gasol and what he has done for the Lakers. He’s definitely LA’s #2 guy. But not Pippen status yet, and frankly, I don’t think he’ll get there.

Dennis Rodman = 5x NBA Champion, 2x All-Star, 2x Defensive Player of the Year, 2x All-NBA Third Team, 7x NBA All-Defensive First Team, 7x NBA Rebounding Champion. I’ll take his flopping any time. He wasn’t just a nice defender. You don’t get defensive player of the year and defensive first team by being just a nice defender.

Horace Grant = 4x NBA Champion, 1x NBA All-Star, 4x All-Defensive Second Team. Lamar Odom? No All-Stars, No Defensive Teams. Yes, He’s an underrated player, but you are completely underrating defense. No Team wins NBA championships without defense. Horace Grant, Like Dennis Rodman and Pippen, were the real deal.

Bynum did nothing in these playoffs to prove that he’s better than any Bulls center in the 90s. Don’t get me wrong, Bynum will get better, but he didn’t show it during the playoffs.

BJ Armstrong = 3x NBA Champion. 1x All-Star Team. Have we forgotten that Armstrong led the league in 3pt percentage in the 1992-93 Season?.453 pctg (63 for 139). BJ Armstrong was an excellent scorer. Again, you’re under estimating Armstrong. In 1994, he finished 2nd in the NBA in 3 point field goal percentage (.444) and third in NBA scoring. Fisher is clutch, but is not the scorer Armstrong was, and I don’t recall Fisher ever coming close to being a scoring leader. Nice try though.

Ron Harper was a much better defender than Derek Fisher and was a consistent scorer. He was the Bulls’#3 scoring option during their second 3peat. Do you forget that Ron Harper has career points of 13,910?

John Paxson. You also forgot that he was another excellent 3 point threat and a clutch shooter. Remember 1993 when he shot the game winning shot in the championship? Not too far from Fisher’s .4 shot or his 3 pointers during these finals.

Comparing Gasol to Scottie is unfair to both players. If Odom was more consistent, I would agree that he was better than Horace Grant and Dennis Rodman. But both Grant and Rodman showed a lot more consistency during their championship years than Odom did this year. Odom showed up in the finals (THANK GOD). But Rodman was consistently, during a span of a decade (even more), the best rebounder in the game and one of the top defensive players. Odom has been neither

Bottom line, no… Kobe did not have a better supporting cast than the Bulls did in the 90’s. Was I the only one who saw Sasha Vujacic not make a single shot in the finals?
joe

Valencia, CA

#16 Jun 15, 2009
RichFnCohen wrote:
Odom > Grant/Rodman
But I do agree with you on one thing.... Jordan was THAT good. Even though I hated him since 1991 when he took out my lakers, I know he's been the best shooting guard in the game... ever. Of course, I also believe #2 is Kobe, and then Jerry West.
CentrILMark

AOL

#17 Jun 15, 2009
Nice stats everybody. Google is a wondeful thing. Phil Jackson, Tex Winter, Clemons, Hamblin were together for almost all these championships. Bulls picked up guys like Cliff Levingston, Bobby Jansen, Brian Williams, Scott Williams. Lakers pick up Ariza, Brian Shaw etc etc. Comparing the Lakers and Bulls is kind of silly considering the stamp Phil's legendary brain trust put on all of those teams. Let's not forget one thing. Phil Jacskon had Miachael Jordan, Scottie Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc. Lakers had Kobe, Shaq, Horry, Gasol etc. etc. Phil's always had the best assemblage of talent. Period. A lucky man. A very lucky man. Must be all that good Karma Zen Master. By the way, sheer force of winning I'll take Michael over Kobe even though Kobe's a more consistent shooter. Kobe has had the new rules of hands off the guards while Michael accomplished his feats during the mugging squad(Pistons etc.) years. Both ared ominant players in their time. But Jordan, his Airness, stands alone.
hope

Hilo, HI

#18 Jun 16, 2009
Phil Jackson leaving LA is important...BUT, President Obama is going to spend Father's Day with Dwayne Wade...where our basketball-comander-in-chief is going to convince Chicago born Wade to trade to the Bulls and play with Derrick Rose...so Obama can sit courtside during the NBA finals next year while the Bulls defeat the Lakers.
Sammy

Toronto, Canada

#19 Jun 16, 2009
Charles may be right but he was the one that said after MJ's first retirement and return that no way in heck he will ever win a championship again let alone ever be the same player. I agree he was not the same player just better. Charles needs to retire. Go have a sip of vodka or something.
crom320

Los Angeles, CA

#20 Jul 5, 2009
Barkley was wrong as always....He said Orlando gonna win, and that Phil was going to Leave...but then again, he's not a great gambler!...so who cares!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Trevor Ariza Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Trade with the Houston Rockets (Nov '15) Nov '15 Sam Testicle 2
News Hornets 95, Timberwolves 81: Minnesota loses se... (Feb '11) Mar '11 sorb 13
News Rockets formally introduce shooting guard, Lee (Aug '10) Aug '10 All-star 1
News Ron Artest says he's joining Lakers (Jul '09) Mar '10 SAW 50
News Kobe Leads Lakers to 15th NBA Title (Jun '09) Feb '10 Brew In 142
News Ron Artest starting to give Lakers the stops th... (Feb '10) Feb '10 Brew In 1
News Minnesota Timberwolves' Kurt Rambis, Rockets' T... (Nov '09) Nov '09 hyh 3
More from around the web