Last second shot buries Magic

Last second shot buries Magic

There are 109 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Oct 31, 2008, titled Last second shot buries Magic. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Some of the folks dressed up for Halloween, and the best costume might have been the usher who wore an orange jailhouse jumpsuit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Hmm

Cocoa Beach, FL

#1 Oct 31, 2008
Wow... I'm at a lost for words.. Obviously this is where the finger-pointing starts but I'm not too sure where it should really end.

A horribly executed game in the second half. I think SVG starts throwing in too many players and too many different combinations of players and no one really stays in long enough to catch a consistent rhythm.

This seems like a new season, but the same Magic team that can't keep a lead long enough to close the game.

0-2, only outstanding teams come out with more than 50 wins after a start like that. I don't know if the Magic are outstanding enough...
tim

Huntington, WV

#2 Oct 31, 2008
why the crap wasnt oj in the 4th quarter?
Otis Nelson

Titusville, FL

#3 Oct 31, 2008
Clueless Stan Van Grumpy has the great idea to have his pet Jameer Nelson guarding the inbouds pass with 1.9 seconds to go.... A guy like Phil Jackson or any other capable coach would use the tallest and lankiest player even from the bench to disrupt the passing lane ! But let's put a 5' 9" midget in there for defense. BRILLIANT!!!!
LMAO

Frisco, TX

#4 Oct 31, 2008
I FARTED WHEN RUDY GAY HIT THE BUZZER BEATER.
Otis Nelson

Titusville, FL

#5 Oct 31, 2008
Memo to Van Grumpy : Players can be rotated in those circumstances for defensive reasons.... 0 and 2 is a great start but lets go for 3 in a row boys!!!!
Saad

Palm Bay, FL

#6 Oct 31, 2008
MAGIC ARE A DISGRACE!
~Disgruntled fan ---Fan even through the 21-61 era.
Spot On

Daytona Beach, FL

#7 Oct 31, 2008
jameer nelson is an absolute joke. how much longer are we going to have to watch otis and stan van jeremy stick by this midget? he has to be the worst starting PG in the NBA, and that opinion is based on his body of work over his career, not only these 2 games.

also, are there any 3 guards in any NBA team's 9 man rotation that combined are worse than redick, neslon, and bogans? HORRID!!!!!
Mike

Singapore, Singapore

#8 Oct 31, 2008
Pietrus is a bench player for a losing team. The only problem is, we've got him as a starter. Our backcourt is helpless, it's like playing people 3 on 5.
Tony

AOL

#9 Oct 31, 2008
Pathetic. I excused the first game as just a bad game but now realize this team is not good. Do not see any positive signs. No chemistry, no leader, no bench, no toughness. Maybe we should have signed Keyon to a $ 40 million deal to keep him here. This team cannot be this bad, or can it. Must take 4 of 5 on homestand or it will be a looong year!!
2009 IS THE YEAR

Orlando, FL

#10 Oct 31, 2008
This was painful to watch. We are playing like babies and not playing with passion. Seems to be that the players are having issues with eachother. Jameer is playing the same way he has since his arrival in Orlando, his is nothing more that a backup point guard. If Otis does not make a move to bring a decent point guard this is going to be a long season. We are only games into the season but there is nothing encouraging so far.

Magicfan09

Orlando, FL

#12 Oct 31, 2008
I mean, J.J. got his playing time first one off the bench, so uh....where are the J.J. fans?

I'm disgusted with SVG and I believe he is pressured into playing Redick, its uncharacteristic of him to play Redick OVER BOGANS (a better defender still) and C. Lee, has to be Otis...

There you have it JJ fans, he's played and the Magic are 0-2, THATS WHY HE SAT DOWN ALL YEAR BECAUSE WE WON WITHOUT HIM.
Jim

United States

#13 Oct 31, 2008
First of all, I called this loss folks. This team has NO intensity or pride at all whatsoever. They are all out there just going through the motions. There appears to be a severe chemistry problem. This present group seems terribly out of sync.

Teams can easily beat the Magic if they simply play hard and turn up the intensity. If they do this then the Magic will fold up like a flower in the hot summer sun. Atlanta plays hard from the opening tip and had no problems with the Magic. The Grizzlies do this in the second half and had little resistence.

It is simple folks. I predict that the Magic will be in the 8th playoff position IF they make the playoffs. They will win no more than 40 games.
Carbon

Winter Park, FL

#14 Oct 31, 2008
What? I thought the Magic left town for Oklahoma. And Orlando was going to hold out for a good team that wasn't owned by domestic terrorist, Rich DeVos.
Jim

United States

#15 Oct 31, 2008
Tony wrote:
Pathetic. I excused the first game as just a bad game but now realize this team is not good. Do not see any positive signs. No chemistry, no leader, no bench, no toughness. Maybe we should have signed Keyon to a $ 40 million deal to keep him here. This team cannot be this bad, or can it. Must take 4 of 5 on homestand or it will be a looong year!!
Excellent analysis. Right on the money. Especially your comments about no chemistry and no toughness.
Nostradamus

Clearwater, FL

#16 Oct 31, 2008
Jameer WILL NEVER be the PG that he dreams about. That chip in his shoulder has been long gone ever since Mr. Smith gave him that fat check. This is how Otis' will bring down this franchise. Boo!
Jim

United States

#17 Oct 31, 2008
There is no flow to the offense. Players are whining because they are not getting or making their shots. Therefore they are lagging on the defensive side of the ball and not giving the proper effort. This team looks totally different from last year. I realize it is only 2 games but thus far I see no real reason to be encouraged. Even the usual positive spinners that post here can not possibly spin a positive web on this mess.
Jim

United States

#18 Oct 31, 2008
Did any of you guys see SVG drop the f bomb on live tv during his post game press conference ? Clearly he is frustrated with his teams performance thus far.
Jim

United States

#19 Oct 31, 2008
Nostradamus wrote:
Jameer WILL NEVER be the PG that he dreams about. That chip in his shoulder has been long gone ever since Mr. Smith gave him that fat check. This is how Otis' will bring down this franchise. Boo!
Good point about the chip being gone. Jameer is in relaxation mode now. His play is showing that. Where is the passion ? Where is the fire ? Oh wait..it is in his bank account now.
SuperSonics Memories

Los Olivos, CA

#20 Oct 31, 2008
The $118 million man has now taken exactly 4 free throw attempts in 70 minutes of playing time this season.

Soft for an elite salary.
bms

Orlando, FL

#21 Oct 31, 2008
The Magic are the team everyone else will be circling on their calender as a easy win. When bench players have career nights and the starters can rest. Admit it folks. The Magic have become the "doormat" of the NBA.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tony Battie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Source: Vince Carter to Orlando Magic deal near... (Jun '09) Jul '09 hello 621
News Otis: Magic will not participate in Hedo sign-a... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Toastman 1
News Will Vince Carter make a fool of Magic GM Otis ... (Jun '09) Jul '09 Hedo Fan 246
News Magic, Cavs better or just different? (Jun '09) Jul '09 pugtv 9
News Orlando Magic GM Otis Smith will let free agent... (Jun '09) Jul '09 magic fan in LA 95
News Details of the five players involved in the Mag... (Jun '09) Jun '09 XeroX 17
News Magic hope championship will fall in place with... (Jun '09) Jun '09 disappointed 50
More from around the web