NBA's luxury might force the Orlando ...

NBA's luxury might force the Orlando Magic to part ways with He...

There are 99 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Apr 9, 2009, titled NBA's luxury might force the Orlando Magic to part ways with He.... In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Fittingly, the Magic close their regular season Wednesday on April 15 - tax day.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Toastman

Winter Park, FL

#82 Apr 10, 2009
We need BOSH!!!! OTIS do whatever you can do to bring in BOSH!!!! Trade anybody except Dwight and keep either Rashard or Turk and rafer and jameer. Anybody else is trade bait and bring in Bosh to Bring in a Championship for sure! Starting five Howard, Bosh, Lewis or Turk, Lee or Redick, Nelson or Alston. Nobody will mess with us.

“Orlando Magic........... ......”

Since: Jul 07

Magic land

#83 Apr 10, 2009
Toastman wrote:
Here is the game plan for the Magics future. We need to hang on to Rafer no matter what. Let go of Battie and Lue. Let Turk figure out what he wants to do and let the chips fall where they may. I dont think Turk will want to become a free agent, not now at least. Next year we need to pull off a critical trade to get some better core players. Kind of like the Rafer trade this year. Maybe like trade pietrus and turk for a stud player. Similar to the suns trade with the bobcats for Richardson. We need to Sign Gortat for sure no questions asked. You may be able to trade Rashard in the 2010 freeagency when teams that loose their stars like Bosh, Lebron and Wade need desprite help and wont mind taking on Rashards contract. So trade for a stud with turk and pietrus and trade lewis for a couple solid core players. Then your back to a good team again with no worries. Thats about it guys and girls.
Please forgive me but you are NUTS!
OneAndDoneTragic

Kings Park, NY

#84 Apr 10, 2009
This is exactly why this year is it for Orlando..eitehr you win this year or suffer through Shaquence II...cheap ownership

Enjoy

“Orlando Magic........... ......”

Since: Jul 07

Magic land

#85 Apr 10, 2009
OneAndDoneTragic wrote:
This is exactly why this year is it for Orlando..eitehr you win this year or suffer through Shaquence II...cheap ownership
Enjoy
Will you please crawl back under your rock.
Jon

Orlando, FL

#86 Apr 10, 2009
It will be tough to sign them both. I hate to lose either of them, but Im pretty sure Gortat is gone. We wont be able to pay him what he will get offered either here or overseas. That hurts, but lets use him while we have him.
Tomek Ryznar

Park Ridge, IL

#87 Apr 10, 2009
Magic should pay whatever is necessary to keep Turk and Gortat! Marcin is one of the most promising young centers in the league. He can score, rebounds well and works hard on defense, he also sets lots of great screens for their shooters. Smith will not find better backup for Howard. It wouldn't suprise me if Gortat started for his new team next year.
ShoNuff

Dallas, TX

#88 Apr 10, 2009
my assumption is that if otis can't make room for a deal good enough for both sides (turk and the magic), turk is gone to the kings. if this occurs, my hope is that since the kings are likely getting the number one pick this year, blake griffin, they will then be in a position potentially of giving up spencer hawes or jason thompson and maybe their 2nd round pick for Turk.

This is all wishful thinking of course.

Keep Gortat regardless.
gates

South Bend, IN

#89 Apr 10, 2009
when you have howard, you can't pay your back up center 3.5 a year. no matter how talented he is, he's in orlando to rest howard; and hedo is one of the key players in this squad. I don't see him leaving coz SVG won't let him go and hedo loves playing for him.
1WhoCares

Glenwood, FL

#90 Apr 10, 2009
Didn't the Magic, a couple of years ago, say they would pay what it took to get a competitive team together? Well they finally have it, since this current team was put together they have improved dramatically. Last year they won morew than 50 games, the first time in many many years, this year they are on pace to win more than 60, the best record in the 20 years of the Magic history!!!

So again the Magic said they would pay, more specific with the new arena why break up this team!!!

AND FOR YOU PEOPLE THAT ARE SAYING HEDO & MARCIN ARE NOT WORTH THE MONEY THEY ARE ASKING FOR --- I WOULD IMAGINE YOU ARE THE SAME ONES THAT SAID SHAQ WAS NOT WORTH THE $$$$ HE WAS ASKING FOR!!!! SEE WHERE THAT GOT US..........
nanningbob

Dublin, Ireland

#91 Apr 10, 2009
Michael in Ocoee wrote:
<quoted text>
If you were an NBA GM, would you take Lewis' contract? If you had that kind of money, there are a whole lot better Free Agents in 2010/2011. he is not going anywhere. PLUS, he is more valuable to us than just about any other team.
This team is built upon pulling the opposing PF away from the basket to guard a high % 3pt shooting PF. That way, the opposing team has a much harder time double teaming Dwight. There are few PF's that could fill the roll Lewis is holding down. Maybe only:
Dirk Nowitzki
Al Harrington
Mehmet Okur
Troy Murphy
Yeah, finally someone who understands Lewis role with the Magic. Solid post. If you get rid of Lewis you fundamentally change this team. Lewis is why we have jumped in wins the last two years. He has the skills to score 25-30 points per game but we dont need him to do that. There is a reason he is an All star player. If we get rid of Lewis we go down as a team not improve. Time after time if you read the comments of players from other teams we are a nightmare to try to guard. Teams would love for us to get rid of Lewis then we would become a more traditional team and easier to guard and defend. As far as Hedo, he would be one of the most difficult people to replace. He is so versatile and does so many things. I would hate to lose him. Lewis, Turk and Howard is what makes our team unique and so difficult to defend.
nanningbob

Dublin, Ireland

#92 Apr 10, 2009
Jon wrote:
It will be tough to sign them both. I hate to lose either of them, but Im pretty sure Gortat is gone. We wont be able to pay him what he will get offered either here or overseas. That hurts, but lets use him while we have him.
I agree, the problem with Gortat is he is a starting center in the NBA. He will be ready for that role and if I were him that is what I would be looking for. He is a double double guy and many teams would love to have a center that can do that night after night. It is not that the Magic arent willing to pay for him, it is that you dont spend that kind of money for a backup. If we are lucky enough to keep him for 3-4 M we should consider ourselves lucky but I think he will command 4-6 M a year from some team desperate for a good center.

Since: Jan 08

Oxford, FL

#93 Apr 10, 2009
Is anyone puzzled why this story was written before the playoffs?? The Magic don't need distractions before the playoffs.

With that said, We will do a sign and trade for either Hedo or Gortat. We won't be able to keep both. We will dump Lue, and get rid of anthony Johnson as well. Battie may be traded so that we can keep Hedo and Gortat. but not likely
Felipe

Satellite Beach, FL

#94 Apr 11, 2009
I haven't seen anybody talk about getting rid of JJ! He is a complete waste of $$$
We don't need Battie, also! We should try signing a real cheap "banger", who could hack people and get rebounds.

We need Gortat and Hedo! How many games would we win in the 4th quarter without Hedo? And Gortat is one of the most efficient players per 48 minutes.
LMAO

AOL

#95 Apr 11, 2009
I bet no one on here knew that Dr.James Naismith was an African/Canadian did you!

He brought that Peach Basket from Georgia!

“"Hoop there it is"”

Since: Mar 09

Windermere, FL

#96 Apr 12, 2009
LMAO wrote:
I bet no one on here knew that Dr.James Naismith was an African/Canadian did you!
He brought that Peach Basket from Georgia!
Oh geez, how'd you know? You're the hoser from AOL,eh? Grab a cold one and a donut.

Actually, I brought the basket from Bithlo.
Larry

Las Vegas, NV

#97 Apr 12, 2009
Hey Rashard, I hope you re-do your contract, take a little pay cut than we can re-sign Hedo and Marcin. Then the team won't have to get rid of anybody and we can keep the team together. We may even be able to get another PF to help Dwight in the paint to get some offensive rebounds.
Psychoriasys

Marikina City, Philippines

#98 Apr 13, 2009
Sign-and-Trade with Utah:

Turk + MP = Boozer
gates

South Bend, IN

#99 Apr 14, 2009
I am schocked to hear people who want Boozer. He's just a cancer in the locker room. He will never have a ring and he's destined to be a loser.
olga

AOL

#100 Apr 14, 2009
The reason that the Magic dont have the money to get good players, if because the GM paid a lot of money for three players.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tony Battie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Source: Vince Carter to Orlando Magic deal near... (Jun '09) Jul '09 hello 621
News Otis: Magic will not participate in Hedo sign-a... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Toastman 1
News Will Vince Carter make a fool of Magic GM Otis ... (Jun '09) Jul '09 Hedo Fan 246
News Magic, Cavs better or just different? (Jun '09) Jul '09 pugtv 9
News Orlando Magic GM Otis Smith will let free agent... (Jun '09) Jul '09 magic fan in LA 95
News Details of the five players involved in the Mag... (Jun '09) Jun '09 XeroX 17
News Magic hope championship will fall in place with... (Jun '09) Jun '09 disappointed 50
More from around the web