Orlando Magic edge out New York Knicks

Orlando Magic edge out New York Knicks

There are 113 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Feb 25, 2009, titled Orlando Magic edge out New York Knicks. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Lately, the Orlando Magic are not winning on style points, when they are winning at all.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Austin

Gainesville, FL

#1 Feb 25, 2009
Only saw the last 7 minutes of the game or so, but wow that was a nail bitter. Just couldn't put them away! But in the end a win is a win.
And at least based on his statline, Rafer played well. 15 pts, only 3 assists, but 4 steals and only 2 turnovers. And almost 50% from the field, despite only hitting 1 of 5 threes, which means he was solid from inside the arch.
JudasPriest

Schenectady, NY

#2 Feb 25, 2009
Alright, at the end of fourth, I was so afraid Jim's another false prediction of submitting to NYK was about to happen. But Hedo was confident and the difference tonight, Lee was good in offense bad in defense, not a good night for Lewis, at the end I am glad we won, but no good defense again, terrible mistakes at defensive end towards waning minutes of 4th. What I dont understand is why our guys cant put up their bodies right next to whoever they defend - instead they give at least 3 ft of comfort zone. A defensive coach is in need, to teach Magic players how to defend, otherwise forget about it.
Lou to the Rescue

Clermont, FL

#3 Feb 25, 2009
Yeah. The Magic started out with great energy but towards the end, KryptoNate and the Knicks made this a game but it still wasn't enough to outlast Superman and the Magic.
not the same

Orlando, FL

#4 Feb 25, 2009
The Magic bench was outscored 46-10
Jim

West Monroe, LA

#5 Feb 25, 2009
66 points allowed in the second half. 38 points allowed in the 4th quarter. 109 points allowed for the game. Simply put, this is not gonna get it done folks. We all know that defense wins championships. And right now this team is playing quite poorly on the defensive side of the ball.

Nothing impressive about this win. But a win is a win I guess. So we'll take it and move on.

Big numbers are nice. But when all is said and done it is defense that will make you a champion.
turdstorm

Frisco, TX

#6 Feb 25, 2009
Magic played great ball for most of the game... kind of let up near the end of the game, but still held on. How about Alston tonight? 15pts 4stls with two huge shots near the end of the game (that was almost jameer like). I really hope hedo can keep up what he's been doing lately and take that momentum into the detroit game.

Iverson only played the first 8 minutes of the pistons-hornets game tonight. He must have gotten injured or something. Not sure if i want to face the team we faced last season in the playoffs (core without billups) or a dysfunctional pistons w/ iverson...
Jim

West Monroe, LA

#7 Feb 25, 2009
Detroit enters into the game on Friday night against Orlando with an 8 game losing streak.

There is no doubt at all that the Pistons WILL win the game and end their losing streak.

The Magic probably will not reach 90 points in this one as the Pistons will intimidate Howard with their physical play.

Fcae it folks, when the Magic face the Pistons it is always the same old story....the Pistons play rough and tough and the Magic crumble like a Chinese fortune cookie.
turdstorm

Frisco, TX

#8 Feb 25, 2009
not the same wrote:
The Magic bench was outscored 46-10
Yeah, but nate robinson comes off the bench and has scored 30 or more in 5 of the last 7 games and 26 in one of the other games. He's more like a starter (played 36 minutes). Otherwise they only scored like 15 off the bench (two of their starters had goose eggs).
Jim

West Monroe, LA

#9 Feb 25, 2009
turdstorm wrote:
Magic played great ball for most of the game... kind of let up near the end of the game, but still held on. How about Alston tonight? 15pts 4stls with two huge shots near the end of the game (that was almost jameer like). I really hope hedo can keep up what he's been doing lately and take that momentum into the detroit game.
Iverson only played the first 8 minutes of the pistons-hornets game tonight. He must have gotten injured or something. Not sure if i want to face the team we faced last season in the playoffs (core without billups) or a dysfunctional pistons w/ iverson...
I would rather face them with Iverson in the lineup. He has brought that team down like a bull dozer on steroids.

“Orlando Magic........... ......”

Since: Jul 07

Magic land

#10 Feb 25, 2009
I think the first half was excellent in all respect.
Second half we let down on our defence and back to no movement in our offence.
Turk was brilliant tonight as was Howard.
Nice game good win.
Bring on Detroit and lets see what we are made of.
not the same

Orlando, FL

#11 Feb 25, 2009
Iverson aggravated a back strain he sustained in Tuesday night’s loss to Miami.
Reaper

United States

#12 Feb 25, 2009
JudasPriest wrote:
Alright, at the end of fourth, I was so afraid Jim's another false prediction of submitting to NYK was about to happen. But Hedo was confident and the difference tonight, Lee was good in offense bad in defense, not a good night for Lewis, at the end I am glad we won, but no good defense again, terrible mistakes at defensive end towards waning minutes of 4th. What I dont understand is why our guys cant put up their bodies right next to whoever they defend - instead they give at least 3 ft of comfort zone. A defensive coach is in need, to teach Magic players how to defend, otherwise forget about it.
if you were dissecting the last few plays truthfully some one should have put a hand in nate's face b/c lee had to catch the midget. he did better with the second shot nate tried.
Reaper

United States

#13 Feb 25, 2009
Jim wrote:
66 points allowed in the second half. 38 points allowed in the 4th quarter. 109 points allowed for the game. Simply put, this is not gonna get it done folks. We all know that defense wins championships. And right now this team is playing quite poorly on the defensive side of the ball.
Nothing impressive about this win. But a win is a win I guess. So we'll take it and move on.
Big numbers are nice. But when all is said and done it is defense that will make you a champion.
thnx for the game dissecting my madden.
turdstorm

Frisco, TX

#14 Feb 25, 2009
We played better defense on their guards tonight with the exception of chandler. Duhon was 0-6, hughes was 1-6 and although nate robinson scored 32, he was 11-26 (he's been shooting a lot higher recently, 56% against spurs). I would've liked to see the magic hold him to less points, but that guy is so quick and jumps so high it's hard to stop him from getting a shot off.
Reaper

United States

#15 Feb 25, 2009
Jim wrote:
Detroit enters into the game on Friday night against Orlando with an 8 game losing streak.
There is no doubt at all that the Pistons WILL win the game and end their losing streak.
The Magic probably will not reach 90 points in this one as the Pistons will intimidate Howard with their physical play.
Fcae it folks, when the Magic face the Pistons it is always the same old story....the Pistons play rough and tough and the Magic crumble like a Chinese fortune cookie.
i dunno they could have an off night and things might work out but if you wanna be all down on them then ok.
george anderson jr

Orlando, FL

#16 Feb 25, 2009
Jim wrote:
lol didn't you say the same thing about tonight's game,didn't you say the magic would crumble and would lose,ya you did buuuuuzzzz it didnt happen lol,again you lose for the umpteenth time,so pardon me if i don't take your word as the gospel truth lol.
turdstorm

Frisco, TX

#17 Feb 25, 2009
Anyone know why dwight plays the whole first qtr these days... it makes it so he can't come back in until the 4-5 minute mark in the 2nd. When he plays like that he usually has a huge 1st qtr and does nothing in the 2nd qtr, just like tonight. I'd rather see him get pulled with 2 minutes left in the 1st and come into the 2nd with 8-9 minutes left. That's what they do for the 3rd and 4rth qtr. Then he has halftime to catch his breath.
Brian-Marc

Lake Mary, FL

#18 Feb 25, 2009
I saw how D12 caught that alley-oop in the 4th quarter and jammed it on Nate Robinson. Dwight just looked at him. Krypto-WHO?
turdstorm

Frisco, TX

#19 Feb 25, 2009
Jim wrote:
I completely agree with you on this. Sheed takes dwight out of the game and the rest of the team always out hustles the magic. They dive for all the loose balls, go for every rebound, make their second chance shots, and somehow find a way to win. They usually coast the whole game then turn it up near the end to put it away. I'm also scared that we have to face them after a close loss for them tonight and a huge losing streak.

On a positive note, alston's already faced them this year and had a double-double with 14pts 10 ast and no turnovers. I hope he repeats that performance.
not the same

Orlando, FL

#20 Feb 25, 2009
Nice if we had someone to come off the bench and score 30 or more points
turdstorm wrote:
<quoted text>Yeah, but nate robinson comes off the bench and has scored 30 or more in 5 of the last 7 games and 26 in one of the other games. He's more like a starter (played 36 minutes). Otherwise they only scored like 15 off the bench (two of their starters had goose eggs).

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tony Battie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Source: Vince Carter to Orlando Magic deal near... (Jun '09) Jul '09 hello 621
News Otis: Magic will not participate in Hedo sign-a... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Toastman 1
News Will Vince Carter make a fool of Magic GM Otis ... (Jun '09) Jul '09 Hedo Fan 246
News Magic, Cavs better or just different? (Jun '09) Jul '09 pugtv 9
News Orlando Magic GM Otis Smith will let free agent... (Jun '09) Jul '09 magic fan in LA 95
News Details of the five players involved in the Mag... (Jun '09) Jun '09 XeroX 17
News Magic hope championship will fall in place with... (Jun '09) Jun '09 disappointed 50
More from around the web