SKOLNICK: In primes, Duncan no match for Shaq

Full story: South Florida Sun-Sentinel

Shaquille O'Neal may be a step slower, but he is no smaller. He remains large enough to have a presence even in places he doesn't appear.
Comments
1 - 20 of 67 Comments Last updated Nov 2, 2007
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
SHAK

Cainta, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 18, 2007

Shaq is a unique player, the NBA won't find another Shaq unless interplanetary aliens invade the NBA.
SmoothRob

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

If you're simply looking at bulldozer numbers, well, you might have an argument, but allow me to retort: this is a team sport, and Tim comsistently makes his teamates better with his offensive and defensive consistent brilliance. Also, Tim doesn't have the luxury of a Kobe or Wade at his side. You put Shaq in place of Tim, the Spurs dont get as many rings as they have. However you put Timmy on those Lakers and Heat teams, replacing Shaq, I guarantee he still comes out with those rings. Moreover, judging from your comments ("Hip-Checker", "Ring-hoggin", "..most don't even care they're chamlion.." I can tell you don't respect the Spurs and their level of play in the first place. Delegating the legitimate talk of the teams place in history as a desperate search for a sidebar indicates a lack of understanding of the sport and its history. One last thing, hardly any talk has been made in the media of Duncan or Shaq. Actually the debate has been "centered" on the Power Forward position. Great job Spurs!
Duncan of Pacland

Las Piñas, Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Were Shaq’s numbers really better than Duncan? No – if we take into account their head-to-head matches in the playoffs. Shaq claimed claimed 3 of 5 playoff showdowns over Duncan but in 25 post-season games where they shared the same court, Duncan posted norms of 25.8 ppg and 12.9 rpg to Shaq’s 23.9/13.5. Duncan also put up better cumulative stats in assists – 102 to 63 and steals – 21 to 12 but lesser in shot blocks – 53 to 67. His best effort against the “Big Diesel” was a 29 ppg he put up to sweep the Lakers in 1999 to Shaq’s 27 ppg to set aside the Spurs in 2001.
The Hermit

Ocala, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

San Antone didn't even DESERVE to be in the finals.

There is something fundamentally wrong with a league that rewards dirty play. Something SA got away with in the playoffs. They were and are by NO MEANS the best team in the NBA. Maybe the dirtiest but not the best.
xman

Largo, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

I try to stay away from debates over who is the best of two great players but one thing is for sure, O'Neal did have the "scary" factor by a long shot. If he could shoot free throws he would have averaged 15 points/game more with teams hiring extra big men just so they would have more fouls to throw at him.
Also, Shaq wins in the personality comparison as the big, lovable, clown prince vs Duncan having about as much personality as used car salesman.
Heatfanatic

Daytona Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

SmoothRob wrote:
If you're simply looking at bulldozer numbers, well, you might have an argument, but allow me to retort: this is a team sport, and Tim comsistently makes his teamates better with his offensive and defensive consistent brilliance. Also, Tim doesn't have the luxury of a Kobe or Wade at his side. You put Shaq in place of Tim, the Spurs dont get as many rings as they have. However you put Timmy on those Lakers and Heat teams, replacing Shaq, I guarantee he still comes out with those rings. Moreover, judging from your comments ("Hip-Checker", "Ring-hoggin", "..most don't even care they're chamlion.." I can tell you don't respect the Spurs and their level of play in the first place. Delegating the legitimate talk of the teams place in history as a desperate search for a sidebar indicates a lack of understanding of the sport and its history. One last thing, hardly any talk has been made in the media of Duncan or Shaq. Actually the debate has been "centered" on the Power Forward position. Great job Spurs!
Can you say Parker and Ginobli?? WHat are they....chopped liver?????
And they did mention Shaq and Duncan in the same breath at one point; when they were talking about the best big men of this decade and they said Duncan now eclipses Shaq in terms of rings won and dynasties established!!
And I guarantee Shaq wins more rings with those Spurs than Timmy does, because Shaq would give Brent Barry and all your other three point shooters a free day from behind the arc.
Marlins gurl

Fort Lauderdale, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

The only two titles Shaq deserves is "best free throw shooter with a crappy wrist" and "best mumbler"
I hate STOUDE-WHINER

Lincolnshire, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

u're gay... and stupid.... shaq is just fat and relies on wade too much.. like he did with kobe...
NYC

Brooklyn, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Im going to remember the Super. Good DEFENSIVE team. Can play any kind of tempo. Something you MEDIA Jerks MISS!!!!
shaq

Winter Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Thats the best thing you said about me in the 15 yrs that i have been playing. Thank you i am appauled. i have tears in my eyes.
shaq

Winter Springs, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

thank you, thank you, thank you.
Theclash

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

The Hermit wrote:
San Antone didn't even DESERVE to be in the finals.
There is something fundamentally wrong with a league that rewards dirty play. Something SA got away with in the playoffs. They were and are by NO MEANS the best team in the NBA. Maybe the dirtiest but not the best.
Playing good defense isn't dirty at all, I'll give you the fact that what horry did was wrong, but it wasn't premediated...it was just something that happened in the moment. From this comment I can tell that you have absolutely no knowledge of basketball.
Vince

Muskogee, OK

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Shaq has been the best and certainly the most dominate player in the last 10 years. Shaq won the PER 5 straight years from 98-02. Duncan has never won it at all. I would think that alone would give Shaq the edge he needs in this debate.
shaq

Houston, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

duncan who?
BIG 77 DOG 00

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

Shaq is a better scorer but Duncan is a better rebounder, passer, shot blocker, free throw shooter and runs the floor better. Also he actually stays in shape and has won a title without another hall of fame player. Shaq hasn't
Donovan

West Palm Beach, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

BIG 77 DOG 00 wrote:
Shaq is a better scorer but Duncan is a better rebounder, passer, shot blocker, free throw shooter and runs the floor better. Also he actually stays in shape and has won a title without another hall of fame player. Shaq hasn't
Who's in the hall of fame that Shaq's has played with? If you're talking about All Star Players, Parker and Ginobli are not all stars? Who the hell is David Robinson? Brent Barry? Nick van Excel, Mike Finly, Robert Horry is not going to Hall of Fame? Yeah I thought so baseless response
KFazz

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

DUNCAN! End of discussion!
KFazz

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

This crap about the Spurs being dirty is laughable!! What a joke! So Robert Horry gives one hard foul to "Stephanie" Nash and all the sudden the Spurs are dirty! Quite frankly, that foul wasn't even worthy of a suspension, let alone two!

The Spurs are no where near a dirty team!
Lauderdale 4 Life

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

SmoothRob wrote:
You made some great points. But you have to realize Shaq did make his teamates better, although Shaq did have the luxury of playing with Wade and Kobe but both are displaying that they can't win at a high level without the presence of Shaq. Now I am a big Duncan fan and I was happy to see Lebron make it to the Finals, but I was rooting for Duncan he is a great player and he could very well as much help any team win, but not like Shaq. Remember although it was Wade rookie season he average 16points per game and was the 3rd leading scorer on that 04 heat squad behind Jones and Odoms and when Shaq came his stats sky rocketed to 8 more points per game. And even now Shaq has lost a step or two but for the past two seasons when he is out of the lineup the team is not even in playoff contention until he returns. Remember Shaq made the Magic and people felt he contributed from Penny, he left they haven't been the same since along with the lakers and we know if he is not on the court the heat would not even be in the playoff of mix according to the statistics of the heat record when he is abscent. Duncan is a great player and byfar one of the best of this era but I would take Shaq anytime over him .
Lauderdale 4 Life

Miami, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2007

KFazz wrote:
This crap about the Spurs being dirty is laughable!! What a joke! So Robert Horry gives one hard foul to "Stephanie" Nash and all the sudden the Spurs are dirty! Quite frankly, that foul wasn't even worthy of a suspension, let alone two!
The Spurs are no where near a dirty team!
I agree and personally i think steve did a lil acting on the effect of the foul.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••