Referee's Pacers call suspect

Referee's Pacers call suspect

There are 42 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jul 28, 2007, titled Referee's Pacers call suspect. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Questioning the judgment and competence of basketball referees is as old as the game itself.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Peggy M

AOL

#1 Jul 28, 2007
Bob Knight has argued this for years. If you want to change the outcome of a game, go after the ref and why has no one listened? I think there are more people involved if they would only investigate and stop taking this above reproach attitude toward refs.
outside the box

Deputy, IN

#2 Jul 28, 2007
Since I seldom watch the NBA anymore I should probably be disqualified from commenting here. However, those of us who know the game of basketball find the NBA to be a travesty at about every level. It has been a long time since I have conversed with a knowledgeable basketball person who enjoys the NBA. What a wonderful game...what a waste of great talent!!!

Stern and his gang have turned this great game into something akin to the WWF. I would not be surprised if it were discovered that there are many officials of the take...heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Stern was involved as well. Sad. Sad. Sad.
newanarchy

Mckinney, TX

#3 Jul 28, 2007
The thing that makes me crazy is the league mandated ref calls, superstars get calls that average players don't. Something that is a foul in the first quarter doesn't get called in the fourth. Rules are rules, make the same call every time and I'd be happier with the game.
bid

United States

#5 Jul 28, 2007
Someone should be looking into past games officiated by (Knick) Bavetta. That guy's favorite team was the Knicks; it was obvious by his selective whistles. Come to think of it, NY is full of the "goodfellas" he was in cahoots with.
Ancient Conspiracy Theory

New Albany, IN

#6 Jul 28, 2007
Bavetta, Hollins, and Mathis hosed us once in MSG. My sons and I kept a book on the game, and the calls were so lopsided. My sons went outside and burned their Knicks cards. The boys are older and out of the house, but we still have the box with the ashes in it. Gosh, those were great days between the Knicks and Pacers.
Steve

Marysville, OH

#7 Jul 28, 2007
Referees are the original reason I gave up caring about the NBA and NFL. Some questionable calls are so blatant one has to wonder if the ref is incompetent or a crook.
PHOENIX

Canton, MI

#8 Jul 28, 2007
This guy was also the ref in game 3 of the Western Conference Semi's last spring. The Spurs' Bowen flings a knee into Steve Nash's gonads. This ref was standing two feet away with an unobstructed view and miraculesly made no call. A little more at stake that some Pacer game in February. Now we know why. Hey Stern!! You gotta a great league there Buddy!!
PHOENIX

Canton, MI

#9 Jul 28, 2007
It was reported in the Denver Post this scum ref has retained a high dollar defense attorney who specializes in defending whistle blowers. An attorney named Paul Lauro. It will be interesting to see the names that come flying out of this scum refs mouth. I cannot imagine this guy would be naming the names of the two low level associates in the mob he did his business with. Will he name NBA personnel? How high in the NBA hierarchy will these people be? Players? Union Leaders? Commissioner? Or will he be paid a settlement to be removed from his job and keep his mouth shut so the charges will be dropped.
PHOENIX

Canton, MI

#10 Jul 28, 2007
**** Correction to the last sentence.

"Or will there be a paid settelment to remove him from his job, keep his mouth shut so the charges will be dropped?"
about time

United States

#11 Jul 28, 2007
there is NO accountability for refs! Bird challenged it back a few years ago and all we got is 10 grand poorer for it. It is SO obvious sometime... why has it been allowed to continue all these years? hope some good comes from this.
Gloria Diehlman

AOL

#12 Jul 28, 2007
I hope this matter is solved as I love the Pacers. Since moving here in 1992 I also noticed significant changes in ref,calls. What if nothing gets done about this?? Seems like the old saying (money talks) How unfair to our great basketball players. I hope everydoor gets opened and it shows who all is involved in this. GO PACERS
Bill E Bob

United States

#13 Jul 28, 2007
Monaghy is a pathetic jerk. Unfortunately, he is an example of the bad threads we find in the fabric of our society. Thanks to those who found this narcissistic thief and rooted him out.(They lurch everywhere, in every profession...)

May he be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law - no plea bargains for selling out on the mobsters who controlled him - and may he have to spend his days behind bars, watching NBA games on TV after officiating a couple of penal league games each evening.....
Bill E Bob

United States

#14 Jul 28, 2007
PS - remember the 2000 finals - the two phantom calls (one in Indy with Kobe, one in LA with Shaq) that cost us two games?

I officiated IHSAA basketball for ten years - many as a tournament official with a "professional" rating - as much as I tried to deny slanted officiating in the NBA all my life, I knew better after we got the hosing we did that year.
John

Plainfield, IN

#15 Jul 28, 2007
How many games have these crooked refs cost the Pacers in the last 3 or 4 yrs? I recall many times there were questionable calls, like the blocked shot on Reggie in the playoffs against the Pistons and that Larry Johnson call in the playoff that I'll never forget. Both of those calls were wrong.
business owner

AOL

#17 Jul 28, 2007
I hope Stirn is invoved and I hope he goes down for it>
phfft

United States

#18 Jul 28, 2007
outside the box wrote:
Since I seldom watch the NBA anymore I should probably be disqualified from commenting here. However, those of us who know the game of basketball find the NBA to be a travesty at about every level. It has been a long time since I have conversed with a knowledgeable basketball person who enjoys the NBA. What a wonderful game...what a waste of great talent!!!
Stern and his gang have turned this great game into something akin to the WWF. I would not be surprised if it were discovered that there are many officials of the take...heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Stern was involved as well. Sad. Sad. Sad.

Totally agree. The NBA is a sham. I quit watching it years ago.
Citizen of

Franklin, IN

#19 Jul 28, 2007
John wrote:
How many games have these crooked refs cost the Pacers in the last 3 or 4 yrs? I recall many times there were questionable calls, like the blocked shot on Reggie in the playoffs against the Pistons and that Larry Johnson call in the playoff that I'll never forget. Both of those calls were wrong.
I will always remember that Larry Johnson "continuation" call, get fouled take 3 steps, dribble a few times then just throw one up there. Even he was shocked.
p7superfly

Aurora, CO

#20 Jul 28, 2007
From Nuggets fans - we feel you.
Small market vs. big market? More proof.
COLTS IN 08

Utica, KY

#21 Jul 28, 2007
OK, not only would I like to say that this guy was oviously paid off in Foxburroh durring the playoffs and San Antonio when they played the suns in the playoffs.

But him fixing the Suns/Spurs series has also caused the NBA to loose a ton of popularity aside from them practically being at an all time low.
COLTS IN 08

Utica, KY

#22 Jul 28, 2007
Steve wrote:
Referees are the original reason I gave up caring about the NBA and NFL. Some questionable calls are so blatant one has to wonder if the ref is incompetent or a crook.
Well the only team in the NFL I know that pays off the refs in the playoffs are thoes Pathetic New Engaland Patriot Panzies!!!
THe NBA however could be different, but I could care less since I stopped watching it when Rappin Ron Artest got canned from the Pacers

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tim Duncan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Heat, not Spurs, is early favorite to win 2015 ... (Jun '14) Jul '14 ing 4
News Charles Barkley praises Dallas women while pick... (May '14) May '14 Raquel 1
News Knicks looking for hometown discount from Anthony (Apr '14) Apr '14 Aldridge 1
News Spurs crush Knicks 120-89, win 4th straight (Nov '13) Nov '13 Knicks Dude 1
News NBA Finals: After pushing Heat to the brink, Sp... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Ginobili 4
News Spo and Pop: The coaching matchup in the NBA Fi... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Ginobili 3
News For Spurs and Heat, the NBA Finals can be memor... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Ginobili 4
More from around the web