1-2 PUNCH -- OrlandoSentinel.com

1-2 PUNCH -- OrlandoSentinel.com

There are 103 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jul 13, 2007, titled 1-2 PUNCH -- OrlandoSentinel.com. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

There is a good reason Dwight Howard gave Rashard Lewis such a big hug and that 150-watt smile when they saw each other earlier this month.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
jackson

Henderson, NV

#1 Jul 13, 2007
Whos the Manu Giobili for the Magic in the Tim Duncan - Tony parker comparison? The Dennis Rodman, with the Jordan Pippen, Def not Ariza, Redick, or Nelson
Stepheno3

Orlando, FL

#2 Jul 13, 2007
I think that the last time that I checked it takes more than 2 players on an NBA team to be successful. I hope he can teach Howard how to shoot from the outside and make free throws for a change! First thing is that you have to have some NBA caliber guards and the Magic have none! The players in the NBA are fortunate they can make huge sums of money and do not have to perform at all! No one seems to care! Perhaps the only job other that Baseball where you do not have to perform and get paid the same! I think the NBA should change there contracts to” You play good, you get paid good” You don’t then you don’t get paid! See how they like that.
OneMoreTry

Oviedo, FL

#3 Jul 13, 2007
Stephano.. Jesus H Christ man, you are a f-ing negative downer. Seriously, every single F-ing artcile.. no matter what it is, your bitching about it.

"Winter Park to Plant New Trees"

Stephano3: "If those morons would have protected the trees they had before Charlie, they wouldnt need any more trees. These ones will probably die as well"

Dude, do us a favor and go wrap your lips around the tail pipe of your car.
Lindsey

Burlington, VT

#4 Jul 13, 2007
The problem with Van Gundy's comparison of Lewis and Howard to Jordan-Pippen, Olajuwon-Drexler, Kareem-Magic, and Bird-McHale is that all those players had hall of fame talent. Rashard Lewis isn't even close to having that kind of talent.
whatasurprise

Leesburg, FL

#5 Jul 13, 2007
let's bash the magic any chance we get...the magic are doing what they think are necessary to get this team to compete in the east....we have two all-star calliber players and a great coach..they moving in the right direction...give them a break already jackson and stepheno3
Orlando Racist

Oviedo, FL

#6 Jul 13, 2007
Another awful article by the Sentinel Sports writers on this subject.

This is a one pro sports team town and they have just signed the worst contract in sports history. You would think the writers here would be able to notice that.
Tre

Omaha, NE

#7 Jul 13, 2007
ACtually Jackson, Ariza could compare to Rodman. His energy and defense could be his sticking point and signature. And he is a lot more offensively talented than Rodman was.
OneMoreTry

Oviedo, FL

#8 Jul 13, 2007
Orlando Racist.. looks like someone was reading a Bill Simmons article this week. Why dont you come up with your own thoughts, instead of regurgitating someone elses and passing it off as your own. Bill Simmons is a Boston homer who is really angry his Celtics have sucked for the past 15 years.
good

Duanesburg, NY

#9 Jul 13, 2007
we need the buildings
drp

United States

#10 Jul 13, 2007
It would be nice if more people who actually knew something about basketball posted on this site instead on people who hear bits and pieces of what other people say around the office
coachbob

Vero Beach, FL

#11 Jul 13, 2007
The two-star rule to win a championship is an over-simplification and not scientific at all. You would like all all-stars, you must settle for less. Naturally, you won't win a title with only one super-star. So you want as many good players as possible. There is nothing sacred about two stars. Sometimes you have two dominant players, sometimes two very good players with a good supporting cast, sometimes 5 solid players (2004 Pistons). What you need is strong inside defense and rebounding, some inside scoring, good ball movement, fewer turnovers, 3-point shooting, killer instinct, young legs, etc etc. Did I say two superstars? No.
Sacha Nyada

Ann Arbor, MI

#12 Jul 13, 2007
Tre wrote:
ACtually Jackson, Ariza could compare to Rodman. His energy and defense could be his sticking point and signature. And he is a lot more offensively talented than Rodman was.
Ariza has energy and plays good D, but the NBA changed its rules to prevent another physical defender (or sneaky dirty defender) like Rodman.(Remember when Shaq almost lost it against Rodman?) Under the old rules, In a different era, I think Ariza could have been another Rodman. For now, he better practice shooting in the paint.
As for the Magic's one-two punch, the Howard-Turk-Hill-Stevenson combo had more punch.
drp

United States

#13 Jul 13, 2007
Glad someone (coachbob) responded to my request...
sth

Altamonte Springs, FL

#14 Jul 13, 2007
ESPN article on summer league:

"Even with a distinct height advantage against Orlando's J.J. Redick, Sefolosha had trouble shaking free for shots and at times looked hesitant."

JJ did not shoot well yesterday but was the reason we won shutting down the player the Bulls were working through, dishing assists, and keeping the flow of the game in our favor. If they run plays through JJ, good things happen. SVG needs to tell Nelson that he is not allowed to shoot until he has dumped the ball in to Howard, looked for Lewis on the wing, or passed to JJ for spacing.
Sonics_Fan

Los Olivos, CA

#15 Jul 13, 2007
Orlando Racist wrote:
Another awful article by the Sentinel Sports writers on this subject.
This is a one pro sports team town and they have just signed the worst contract in sports history. You would think the writers here would be able to notice that.
You might like the story in today's Seattle P.I. by Art Thiel about the Lewis contract situation. More ammunition.

Since: Jun 07

New York, NY

#16 Jul 13, 2007
coachbob wrote:
The two-star rule to win a championship is an over-simplification and not scientific at all. You would like all all-stars, you must settle for less. Naturally, you won't win a title with only one super-star. So you want as many good players as possible. There is nothing sacred about two stars. Sometimes you have two dominant players, sometimes two very good players with a good supporting cast, sometimes 5 solid players (2004 Pistons). What you need is strong inside defense and rebounding, some inside scoring, good ball movement, fewer turnovers, 3-point shooting, killer instinct, young legs, etc etc. Did I say two superstars? No.
I really do think the magic are close to this minus another big man and a real point guard, I'm personally tired of all negative comments, but I do have to say the Magic scouting crew have been doing a lax job, because we could really have a taller, more athletic, assist minded point guard for one, and drafting a bunch of european players because it worked for the spurs and mavs really doesn't work, two. Smush Parker and Deshawn Stevenson are both free agents that don't demand all the money in the world, doesn't solve the guard problem at all, but it gives us more athletic legs/defense than we currently have, and both players are definately leaving their teams, I say sign and trade if we can. I personally don't mind keeping Nelson, but not as a starting 1, more like coming off the bench to score quick points when the starters are resting, I'd rather see Smush or Dooling start there.

Ariza has a chance to do alot for this team, I wouldn't suprised to see him start if we don't go after a guy like Stevenson who is a bit more experienced, and definately at the 2 posititon. You proably could make the argument that he isn't Pippen, but he's pretty close. A very tall, defensive stopper, who isn't afraid to dunk on anyone, and has a shot that will fall when it needs to, it's true, I saw glimpses of it in Hill's insane offense. Yeah I know he isn't Pippen, but who was Pippen the first two years that he started in the NBA? He was no Ariza.

The big man spot is iffy, the league today calls for 2 F/C's, 2 SG/SF's, and 1 PG that will assist like you wouldn't believe, with an insanely accurate bail out shot. lol alright maybe Smush isn't the answer, but someone is, lets hear it for Dooling, but versatility is what won the Spurs and Pistons their rings, look at their lineups and you'll see alot of versatility...am i spelling that right? Battie is an alright guy, I think he brings alot to the team, so why cry over a question mark like Darko leaving the team, I would have liked to see him here, but alot big guys can play next to Dwight, shoot I'm under 6 feet and I could be an effective big man in the league with Dwight taking double teams, and then playing the other team's second string big men.. alright probably not. Maybe one of these Euro guys has something to show us, if not trade them for another big guy that is a questionmark on another team, they could seriously be more effective here than somewhere else, because no two teams in the NBA are the same.

I'm tired of typing, lol, I'll rant and rave more when I'm done with work.
True Magic Fan

AOL

#17 Jul 13, 2007
ITS REFRESHING TO HEAR HOWARD'S CONFERENCE INTERVIEW & SEE HOW HUMBLE HE IS.HE'S A GOOD KID.AND THE SKY IS THE LIMIT FOR HIM.NOW THE MAGIC NEED TO GET A PF TO HELP HIM OUT IN THE INSIDE. & A PG THAT'S NOT A DEFENSIVE LIABILITY,WITH PLAYMAKING SKILLS & NOT TURNOVER PRONE LIKE JAMEER NELSON. I WOULD START ARROYO OR DOOLING OVER HIM ANYDAY.I THINK REDICK & ARIZA WILL SHINE THIS YR.
Namor

United States

#18 Jul 13, 2007
Nelson can pass and shoot, shoot and pass, pass and pass, shoot and shoot, dribble the clock, BUT HE CAN'T DEFEND. He's too short to even reach the lowest shelf in my niece's room.
ewing

Teaneck, NJ

#19 Jul 13, 2007
Tre wrote:
you never saw Dennis Rodman play huh?
ewing

Teaneck, NJ

#20 Jul 13, 2007
coachbob wrote:
you can really be a coach right?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tim Duncan Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Heat, not Spurs, is early favorite to win 2015 ... (Jun '14) Jul '14 ing 4
News Charles Barkley praises Dallas women while pick... (May '14) May '14 Raquel 1
News Knicks looking for hometown discount from Anthony (Apr '14) Apr '14 Aldridge 1
News Spurs crush Knicks 120-89, win 4th straight (Nov '13) Nov '13 Knicks Dude 1
News NBA Finals: After pushing Heat to the brink, Sp... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Ginobili 4
News Spo and Pop: The coaching matchup in the NBA Fi... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Ginobili 3
News For Spurs and Heat, the NBA Finals can be memor... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Ginobili 4
More from around the web