Future Of Dyson, Wiggins Unclear

Future Of Dyson, Wiggins Unclear

There are 32 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jan 27, 2008, titled Future Of Dyson, Wiggins Unclear. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

There is no change in the status of guards Jerome Dyson and Doug Wiggins, both suspended indefinitely by coach Jim Calhoun for an unspecified violation of team rules.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Bristol, CT

#21 Jan 27, 2008
Jim Calhoun is the highest paid state official.

Bristol, CT

#22 Jan 27, 2008
State employee, I should say.
Frank Rizzo

Hamden, CT

#23 Jan 27, 2008
I'd love to see these two "college" students SAT scores! How many times did they have to take the test to meet the requirements?
The truth wrote:
<quoted text>
How were they "shady characters" when brought on campus?
These kids are actually doing something with their lives unlike you tools who sit on here all day criticizing this team. They bring in more revenue for one of the best basketball programs in the NCAA than most of you loser low lifes can imagine.
Keep hating and live your pathetic lives losers.

Windsor, CA

#24 Jan 27, 2008
Icing wrote:
18 year olds know better, you're retarded if you dismiss anything someone does between 18 and 22 as "kids will be kids". Idiots.
OH I forgot rich kids from Cheshire don't make mistakes when there 18-22, idiot.
Husky Alum

Danby, VT

#25 Jan 27, 2008
Having grown up in Storrs and attended UCONN I had a lot of exposure to the mens BBall players for a time (well before Okafor) during Coach Calhouns tenure. I personally saw players do dumb things in public like underage drinking etc. It wasn't a well kept secret then and I have to assume it isn't now. These guys must have done something much higher on the stupidity scale than that to be suspended so quickly before a big game.

Two things suprise me in reading the comments here. One that people are so quick to jump on these kids (yes they are kids, very few of us were very mature at that age) Young men tend to do stupid things. I know that I did as did most of my peers at that time. Those of you that look down on them now are probably not being honest with themselves on who you were at that age.

The second thing is the amount of vitriol being spewed in Calhouns direction. This is big time basketball folks. Coach's job is to get the best basketball players for the team and then to do his best to help mold them into disiplined men. Anyone who doesn't see that he cares about their character apparently hasn't listened to what most of his former players have to say about him.

We are talking about a man that took a basketball program that was nothing when he arrived and turned it into a national powerhouse. At the same time he has changed the lives of many young men for the better. You may not appreciate his methods because he's too rough for your delicate sensibilities, but to me the results speak for themselves.

When he's gone, you will realize that John Wooden isn't walking through that door folks.

And start making some noise at games. It's embarrasing how quiet the Gampel is these days. Get off your rears and cheer the team on or stay home and gripe at the TV so some real fans can get tickets.

“Surrounded by Libs.”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#27 Jan 27, 2008
AntiConnecticut wrote:
Jim Calhoun is the highest paid state official.
Even though he's not a State offical(as you stated in your next post)he should get paid more than any state offical as he's done more for this state than any offical appointed or voted in.
Coach rules!
Even if he is from Boston.

Tiverton, RI

#28 Jan 27, 2008
Calhoun and Geno are both overpaid self loathing individuals. To hear them speak on TV and read their press reports makes you believe they cured cancer or won a war...it's basketball. nothing more..nothing less.. a ball goes into a basket....and people lose their minds over this....

“Surrounded by Libs.”

Since: Jun 07

Location hidden

#29 Jan 27, 2008
Caveman wrote:
Calhoun and Geno are both overpaid self loathing individuals. To hear them speak on TV and read their press reports makes you believe they cured cancer or won a war...it's basketball. nothing more..nothing less.. a ball goes into a basket....and people lose their minds over this....
But if that ball goes in the basket on national T.V. it's worth millions.
It hasen't been a game for a long long time.

Meriden, CT

#30 Jan 27, 2008
By the way John Wooden was stricter on his players than Calhoun is. He would sit you if you had facial hair. All of the statements about Calhoun are based on his game day tactics. I would bet any competitive coach is not soft on their players. They might seem tamer on the sidelines on game day, but that only means they put on a nice show for the cameras. Calhoun wears everything on his sleeves. He is not perfect, but one hell of coach.

Windsor Locks, CT

#31 Jan 27, 2008
Papa Doc wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI--Athletic scholarship are actually not funded by tax pay dollars. They are funded by private donations to the UCONN Foundation and/or Athletic Department.
Is this the extortion funds one must pay to get game tickets?

Oxford, CT

#32 Jan 27, 2008
It's obvious to me that all the posters here are, or once were, on academic scholarships.

No doubt these are in the main merely jealous rants directed at others who got their scholarships for reasons more physical than mental.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves...

Since: Dec 07

#33 Jan 28, 2008
coach calhoun isnt gonna suspend these 2 because they were out late past curfew or at a party....but if they were smokin' weed or drinking under age...he has no choice....ofcourse he wants to win.....but he has to drop the hammer too.....bravo to calhoun....his kids may not be choir boy's....but he steps up unlike coach K and some other top powers....go uconn..go calhoun...these new breed of kids still need tough love.....amen

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terrence Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Minnesota Timberwolves resume pre-draft workout... (Jun '09) Jan '14 Patrick Kelly 5
News Kim Kardashian, Kris Humphries divorce: Russell... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Jerry D 1
News LeBron James, Miami Heat willing to play 'flagr... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Masda 7
News LIVE Heat-Nets game trax scoreboard (Nov '10) Nov '10 TJRAYMOND 787 4
News Former Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson agr... (Jun '10) Jun '10 Tiffany 3
News Suns' Stoudemire still likes Nets' potential (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mets Fan Forever 1
News Ita s now Waltona s world: MSU senior guard ste... (Sep '09) Sep '09 doc rivers 1
More from around the web