Future Of Dyson, Wiggins Unclear

Future Of Dyson, Wiggins Unclear

There are 32 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Jan 27, 2008, titled Future Of Dyson, Wiggins Unclear. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

There is no change in the status of guards Jerome Dyson and Doug Wiggins, both suspended indefinitely by coach Jim Calhoun for an unspecified violation of team rules.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Mr Common Sense

Middletown, CT

#1 Jan 27, 2008
These individuals are going to school on the taxpayers' dime. We should have the right to know the charges.
Frank Rizzo

Hamden, CT

#2 Jan 27, 2008
Throw them out of school! Let them go work at Burger King. Just because they can dunk a basketball doesn't mean that they should be given special treatment. When you bring shady characters onto a college campus what do you expect to happen?
atheist

Oxford, CT

#3 Jan 27, 2008
Gee, maybe we should like, find out what they actually have done before we throw them out of school?
Frank Rizzo wrote:
Throw them out of school! Let them go work at Burger King. Just because they can dunk a basketball doesn't mean that they should be given special treatment. When you bring shady characters onto a college campus what do you expect to happen?
Papa Doc

Manchester, CT

#4 Jan 27, 2008
Mr Common Sense wrote:
These individuals are going to school on the taxpayers' dime. We should have the right to know the charges.
FYI--Athletic scholarship are actually not funded by tax pay dollars. They are funded by private donations to the UCONN Foundation and/or Athletic Department.
Stuart Hosley

United States

#5 Jan 27, 2008
Well apparently they were not arrested, so all speculation will have to be below the level of crimes subject to arrest!

Short of that, anything is open to speculation. Socal problem, Academic problem, Basketball problem nobody knows. The coach chooses to keep it that way since he speaks in his usual manner of tongues.
Stuart Hosley

United States

#6 Jan 27, 2008
What ever the reasons, It was great to see the team suck it up, buckel down, and work out a BIG win!
DonC

Middletown, CT

#7 Jan 27, 2008
Whatever the reason, Coach Calhoun does not appear to make decisions regarding his players without careful consideration of the facts. In time the two players' situation will become clear and the reason for the suspension revealed. Until then, lets hope that the team will respond with maturity and increased effort to play well.
B-Ball fan

Plantsville, CT

#8 Jan 27, 2008
kids will be kids....there are a lot of adults that act much worse than a lot of these kids.
jam

Concord, MA

#9 Jan 27, 2008
It's about time Jim Calhoun enforced some ethical standards for his team. Since the days of Emeka Okafor, it's been downhill with his players getting arrested, then pardoned just because they are good athletes. Athletes are role models, like it or not. Especially in the college game, it's important for that they behave with honor and responsibility. Boys will be boys -- but criminal behavior is WAY over the line.
Mr Common Sense

Middletown, CT

#10 Jan 27, 2008
Papa Doc wrote:
<quoted text>
FYI--Athletic scholarship are actually not funded by tax pay dollars. They are funded by private donations to the UCONN Foundation and/or Athletic Department.
Really, I did not know that. I stand corrected then.
PPPP

Franklin, MA

#11 Jan 27, 2008
There are a couple rumors circulating about what they actually did...but these are RUMORS. One is that they were at an on campus bar on thursday night (both are underage), but everyone knows that basketball players will be let in no matter what. The other rumor is that they were playing in a intremural (don't know how to spell that word) in the rec center which is against team policy---i doubt this one. The last rumor is that they were spotted in room that had some herbal refreshments in it and someone told Calhoun...all of these could be lies, just rumors i have heard.
The truth

Cambridge, MA

#12 Jan 27, 2008
Frank Rizzo wrote:
How were they "shady characters" when brought on campus?

These kids are actually doing something with their lives unlike you tools who sit on here all day criticizing this team. They bring in more revenue for one of the best basketball programs in the NCAA than most of you loser low lifes can imagine.

Keep hating and live your pathetic lives losers.
ann

New Haven, CT

#13 Jan 27, 2008
Still getting only one side of the calhoun vs. dyson--wiggins dispute. with the reams and reams of uconn drivel produced by the courant's sports dept. I wud think the paper cud find a reporter skilled enuff to get his nose under the tent to find out for readers what the real story is. coach calhoun has twice this season been been sidelined by flu-like symptoms. he has been ejected once from a game and received technical fouls in 2 other games. is ole jim in need of a sabbatical? also, is it time to appoint an obudsman to referee disputes between the coach and players?
You Are All Out of Touch

Norwich, CT

#14 Jan 27, 2008
You people are unbelievable with your "rumors." They weren't at the bar and they surely weren't playing intramural basketball considering there isn't a intramural season going on right now. Next I'm going to hear "I heard that they spent the weekend skiing in Vermont and someone told Calhoun." Everyone on campus knows what happened, but why say anything? It won't help the situation and it is more fun to watch people try and figure it out.
Anon

United States

#15 Jan 27, 2008
I was on one of the womens' teams at UConn and very nearly got in trouble because I was seen by a teammate purchasing cigarettes for my roommate at the Co-Op (I was there, she asked me to do her a favor). That teammate decided to "snitch" on me. Coach was *this* close to keeping me out of that week's competition, but in the end trusted that I honestly wasn't smoking cigs myself (never smoked one in my life).

Meanwhile, girls on the team were drinking during the season, in flagrant violation of team rules, but Coach never had solid proof. Even being at a party where alcohol was being consumed was enough to cause problems if it got back to the coaching staff somehow.

I can see that a somewhat innocent incident could have been blown out of proportion or mis-interpreted. It's not the first or last time a UConn student-athlete is temporarily suspended for misbehaving - it's only "news" because it's the basketball team.
Rumor

Portland, CT

#16 Jan 27, 2008
Calhoun is a "drill sargent" who surrounds himself with good recruiters that target "athletes first, men of character second". He punishes players, teaches nobody anything except "life is unfair", which is exactly why no drill sargent should be getting paid over one million dollars per year. One in two adults with kids could piss all over cocky teenagers and enjoy it. Uconn could get a real "John Wooden type coach", but I think the sadistic uconn fans really do enjoy watching the drama of cocky inner city kids being whipped into temporary uncle toms with the "Calhoun certified promise" of a multimillion dollar NBA contract at the end of the storm induced rainbow.
Sickening

Windsor, CA

#17 Jan 27, 2008
All you poeple that are attacking these kids for no reason are sickening. Kids in general do stupid things regardless if there from an "inner city" or not, secondly we don't even know what the situation is. It's ridiculous, listening to post after post, of how horrible Calhoun is and how him and his staff recruit "questionable" characters. One bad season for UConn and that's it, all of a sudden the sky starts falling, come on give me a break. Two National Championships, a Hall of Fame Coach, and the most active NBA players of any college! and this is the support you show your Huskies. It looks to me like UConn picked up some bandwagon jumpers when they won in 04, but at least all the real Husky fans will stand by and support their team.
Uconn in Florida

AOL

#18 Jan 27, 2008
What planet are you from???!!!????
Rumor wrote:
Calhoun is a "drill sargent" who surrounds himself with good recruiters that target "athletes first, men of character second". He punishes players, teaches nobody anything except "life is unfair", which is exactly why no drill sargent should be getting paid over one million dollars per year. One in two adults What with kids could piss all over cocky teenagers and enjoy it. Uconn could get a real "John Wooden type coach", but I think the sadistic uconn fans really do enjoy watching the drama of cocky inner city kids being whipped into temporary uncle toms with the "Calhoun certified promise" of a multimillion dollar NBA contract at the end of the storm induced rainbow.
Icing

United States

#19 Jan 27, 2008
What the hell did they do? We pay Calhoun's paycheck, we deserve to be told what they did! Calhoun is not the CIA, he shouldn't keep these secrets away from the paying fans...
Icing

United States

#20 Jan 27, 2008
and STOP CALLING PEOPLE WHO ARE OVER 18 KIDS!

18 year olds know better, you're retarded if you dismiss anything someone does between 18 and 22 as "kids will be kids". Idiots.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Terrence Williams Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Minnesota Timberwolves resume pre-draft workout... (Jun '09) Jan '14 Patrick Kelly 5
News Kim Kardashian, Kris Humphries divorce: Russell... (Nov '11) Nov '11 Jerry D 1
News LeBron James, Miami Heat willing to play 'flagr... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Masda 7
News LIVE Heat-Nets game trax scoreboard (Nov '10) Nov '10 TJRAYMOND 787 4
News Former Dallas Mavericks coach Avery Johnson agr... (Jun '10) Jun '10 Tiffany 3
News Suns' Stoudemire still likes Nets' potential (Apr '10) Apr '10 Mets Fan Forever 1
News Ita s now Waltona s world: MSU senior guard ste... (Sep '09) Sep '09 doc rivers 1
More from around the web