the guessing game

the guessing game

There are 20 comments on the Orlando Sentinel story from Jun 26, 2008, titled the guessing game. In it, Orlando Sentinel reports that:

Between overhyped college kids and unknown foreigners, the NBA draft is such a crapshoot that even Tim Donaghy wouldn't take odds.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Orlando Sentinel.

Slim

Palm Coast, FL

#1 Jun 26, 2008
Seems like the Magic are contempt with who they have.... sucks

Another unsatisfying playoff exit looms in the future
DPack

Saint Petersburg, FL

#2 Jun 26, 2008
Courtney Lee is rated somewhere around the 30th best player available in the draft order. The farther down you go the more realization that you choose the best available player no matter the position. Ranking therefore you have players such as Donte Green, Deandre Jordon, Mario Chalmers and even CDR rated higher than Lee. If you go big JJ Hickson, DJ White, Ryan Anderson. If you really want to stretch here are two names for you. Bill Walker and Keith Brumbaugh. Yes they come with baggage associated with them however both were the players of the year coming out of the HS system with better credentials than literally many above them. In Keith's case he is older and hopefully more mature. In Walker's case injury and the arrival of Beasley along with Huggins abrupt departure at KSU might have stunted his progress but at the end of last season he showed some high level brilliance of the player he was in HS. Get the best available player not position this far down and build depth! The Parker's and other players you mentioned are far and few between.
Huh

United States

#3 Jun 26, 2008
Slim wrote:
Seems like the Magic are contempt with who they have.... sucks
Another unsatisfying playoff exit looms in the future
Are they "content" or do you just have "contempt" for anything about the Magic that doesn't go your way? Learn how to use the English language. Content and contempt are at the opposite ends of the language spectrum.
dee

El Paso, TX

#4 Jun 26, 2008
DPack wrote:
Courtney Lee is rated somewhere around the 30th best player available in the draft order. The farther down you go the more realization that you choose the best available player no matter the position. Ranking therefore you have players such as Donte Green, Deandre Jordon, Mario Chalmers and even CDR rated higher than Lee. If you go big JJ Hickson, DJ White, Ryan Anderson. If you really want to stretch here are two names for you. Bill Walker and Keith Brumbaugh. Yes they come with baggage associated with them however both were the players of the year coming out of the HS system with better credentials than literally many above them. In Keith's case he is older and hopefully more mature. In Walker's case injury and the arrival of Beasley along with Huggins abrupt departure at KSU might have stunted his progress but at the end of last season he showed some high level brilliance of the player he was in HS. Get the best available player not position this far down and build depth! The Parker's and other players you mentioned are far and few between.
i was predicting a long while back unless brandon rush (which i highly doubt but if they really want him they might have to give up turk in the process) falls to 22 then it would be lee.

as for bramubaugh he's projected to be a second round choice for either houston, san antonio, seattle or detriot. he's best in SA or HOU where he can actually learn from a few role models such as shane baitter, bruce bowen, tim ducan, kurt thomas, Dikembe Mutumbo
Otown1

Lady Lake, FL

#5 Jun 26, 2008
The Magic would have gone to the finals if they traded for Jermaine Oneal. Trade Arroyo or Nelson then add JJ Redick plus any other bench player. Toronto is going to smoke Orlando next year. They just moved into the top 3 (East) and Orlando just dropped out. What is wrong with the front office? They need to be slapped around - wake up. Otis puts me to sleep when he talks. Jermaine would have been the difference.
LMAO

AOL

#6 Jun 26, 2008
Lee's stock has risen. I doubt he will be there at 22. He will be a reasonable pick if he is available.

I think JaVale will be the pick if he's there. A project but one worth taking.

At the end of night I highly suspect that Otis & Tardwad will scr-ew it up as best they can, LOL.
tom

Ocala, FL

#7 Jun 26, 2008
A 6'5" shooting gaurd, to small, he'd be no better then Reddick who can't get on the court. Please resign Evans, take the best big.
DBJORK

Denver, CO

#8 Jun 26, 2008
Jermaine O'neil is not the answer for the magic,,he damands the ball too much. They do need another big, but they need a defensive minded big who will rebound and help dwight on the defensive end. someone like haslem. Their biggest need is a bigger, pass first point. They should trade hedo,jj, arroyo and the 22nd pick to new jersey for carter and the 10th pick, which they should use to get westbrook if he's still on the board. This will give them the big point they need, another scorer to replace hedo and allow them to move lewis to his natural position(where he can be the player his salary says he can be). then dooling, garity and a future second for haslem. sounds good to me,probably never happen though.
Otown1

Lady Lake, FL

#9 Jun 26, 2008
DBJORK wrote:
Jermaine O'neil is not the answer for the magic,,he damands the ball too much. They do need another big, but they need a defensive minded big who will rebound and help dwight on the defensive end. someone like haslem. Their biggest need is a bigger, pass first point. They should trade hedo,jj, arroyo and the 22nd pick to new jersey for carter and the 10th pick, which they should use to get westbrook if he's still on the board. This will give them the big point they need, another scorer to replace hedo and allow them to move lewis to his natural position(where he can be the player his salary says he can be). then dooling, garity and a future second for haslem. sounds good to me,probably never happen though.
I agree with your other options except Oneal is the answer. They need a big who can score. Anything at this point would be better. The Magic aren't going anywhere with the status quo. Does Otis talk to any other teams?
DBJORK

Denver, CO

#10 Jun 26, 2008
Otown1 wrote:
<quoted text> I agree with your other options except Oneal is the answer. They need a big who can score. Anything at this point would be better. The Magic aren't going anywhere with the status quo. Does Otis talk to any other teams?
Nelson,Carter,Lewis,Howard,,,T hats plenty of scoring...You can score 130points a game, but if your opponent scores 131,,You Lose!!(Just ask Golden State) Thats why I say Haslem over Jermaine. Get Carter,Haslem and Westbrook and we're competing!!
DBJORK

Denver, CO

#11 Jun 26, 2008
Otis will TALK to other teams,,but i unfornuately believe thats all his does is TALK. We have plenty of expiring contracts and bargining chips to make a splash in trades,,however, I doubt we will...Hopefully I'm proved wrong by Otis the great...
JGJ

Melbourne, FL

#13 Jun 26, 2008
Courtney Lee is a very good player. Now the question becomes will he still be available with the 22nd pick?

I think the Magic need to work a deal for Corey Maggettee - he's only 28 and has been under the radar out in LA, playing for the woeful Clippers. Maggettee would give Orlando a boost in the backcourt and a bonafide 3rd option of offense. Defensively, he is average at best, but in the NBA, the teams that play the best team-oriented defense usually win more than not.
dan

Orlando, FL

#14 Jun 26, 2008
magic should trade hedo to the lakers for odom. the lakers want a shooter at the 3 spot. odom played his best basketball under stan van gundy, its a perfect fit for both teams. odom can play the pf or sf. Odom would be a better fit next to dwight than lewis would be. Also turks trade value is at a all time high, he has a low salary and is an allstar callaber player.
Carbon

Ocoee, FL

#15 Jun 26, 2008
I can't think of anything less important.
Lou Reed

Los Angeles, CA

#16 Jun 26, 2008
Oh man, Courtney Lee.

Could have had Jordan, Koufos, Arthur...

But no, oh no... Courtney Lee... another shooting SG.... Otis Smith must PUT DOWN THE PIPE!
DBJORK

Denver, CO

#17 Jun 26, 2008
dan wrote:
magic should trade hedo to the lakers for odom. the lakers want a shooter at the 3 spot. odom played his best basketball under stan van gundy, its a perfect fit for both teams. odom can play the pf or sf. Odom would be a better fit next to dwight than lewis would be. Also turks trade value is at a all time high, he has a low salary and is an allstar callaber player.
Dont think I agree,,why dump a sf for another sf when you'll end up basically in the same position. trade hedo for: vince carter or corey maggette, then trade the expiring contracts and jj for haslem. then you move lewis to his natural position and get another score to make up for turks departure and get a defensive banger to play the four spot. Then pray some team is dumb enough to trade a good point guard for expiring contracts and future picks.
dan

Orlando, FL

#18 Jun 26, 2008
DBJORK wrote:
<quoted text>
Dont think I agree,,why dump a sf for another sf when you'll end up basically in the same position. trade hedo for: vince carter or corey maggette, then trade the expiring contracts and jj for haslem. then you move lewis to his natural position and get another score to make up for turks departure and get a defensive banger to play the four spot. Then pray some team is dumb enough to trade a good point guard for expiring contracts and future picks.
becuase odom can play the pf with no problem. hes a post up player, he gets a crap load of rebs a game, and he's a good ball handler. dwight,odom, and lewis would be a beast line up in the east, and would give alot of teams fits with match up problems. Also we have battie off the bench, and if we went big we could put lewis at the sg postion with battie at the power, and odom at sf.
DBJORK

Denver, CO

#19 Jun 27, 2008
dan wrote:
<quoted text>
becuase odom can play the pf with no problem. hes a post up player, he gets a crap load of rebs a game, and he's a good ball handler. dwight,odom, and lewis would be a beast line up in the east, and would give alot of teams fits with match up problems. Also we have battie off the bench, and if we went big we could put lewis at the sg postion with battie at the power, and odom at sf.
Yeah,he can play power forward,but he's not a power forward. Same with Rashard Lewis. The reason why Lamar played his best ball with stan ron jeremy Van Gundy is because the heat played him at small forward. He is not a defensive presence at the power forward spot. Just ask the Celtics. He is nothing more than the better passing version of Rashard 118 million dollar lewis. Thats why I say trade Hedo for a Shooting Guard. Ben gordan will probably be looking for a home soon. Someone who will provide the points your trading away in Hedo and allow you to play sweet lew at small forward where he belongs. And lewis as a shooting guard is a joke! Imagine him trying to keep up with dwayne wade on the defensive end. Trade Hedo for a sg, get haslem or another defensive banger and address the point guard position,,Mighty Mouse nelson should be coming off the bench!!
willie

Pompano Beach, FL

#20 Jun 28, 2008
this is what otis should do sign kwame and magliore real cheap trade jj and expiring contracts for either wilcox or haslem or even harrington then sign pietrus or jr smith this should not be hard to do even for otis
DBJORK

Denver, CO

#21 Jun 28, 2008
willie wrote:
this is what otis should do sign kwame and magliore real cheap trade jj and expiring contracts for either wilcox or haslem or even harrington then sign pietrus or jr smith this should not be hard to do even for otis
This would work!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Tayshaun Prince Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News No love for Pistons in 2013 NBA All-Star balloting (Dec '12) Dec '12 njneere 1
News Allen Iverson and Rodney Stuckey: A Tale of Two... (Nov '12) Nov '12 Jewel Williams 1
News Pistons' Jonas Jerebko hopeful he'll play this ... (Mar '11) Mar '11 jonas fan 1
News Pistons report: Notes, quotes (Feb '11) Feb '11 Rey Buenabal 1
News Dwight Howard: 'Guys got to guard on the perime... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Atl Gator 1
News If Dallas Mavericks show interest in trading fo... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Israfil 1
News NBA Trade Rumors: 10 Vital Moves For The Detroi... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Slapsie 1
More from around the web