Marbury storms out of talks after 15 ...

Marbury storms out of talks after 15 minutes

There are 42 comments on the Newsday story from Dec 2, 2008, titled Marbury storms out of talks after 15 minutes. In it, Newsday reports that:

Stephon Marbury took barely 15 minutes yesterday to hear Donnie Walsh's proposed exit strategy for what has become yet another publicly embarrassing situation for the Knicks.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Rangers Suck

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Dec 2, 2008
Stephon Marbury is a cry-baby. Go play in Europe, nobody wants you here
PrnStr910

Falls Church, VA

#2 Dec 2, 2008
Steph is right in this situation. He showed up to training camp in shape and ready to play. That is his job and that's what he did. Then the new coach decided that he did not want/need Steph and he and management want him to take less money to go away. In an effort to force his hand they sat him and deactivated him (without cause). The Knicks now want him to take less money AND after dragging this out and hurting his reputation around the league (not that it was that great before,but people did have interest in him)NOW they want to restrict where he signs afterward. To hell with the Knicks. They owe him his money. If they want him gone pay him and let him go. Why should he take less!? If he were putting up all world numbers but only getting paid $5mil a year, they would not break his deal to pay him more. He would be expected to fulfill his contract.

“Let's go Yankees”

Since: Jul 08

Long Island

#5 Dec 2, 2008
PrnStr910 wrote:
Steph is right in this situation. He showed up to training camp in shape and ready to play. That is his job and that's what he did. Then the new coach decided that he did not want/need Steph and he and management want him to take less money to go away. In an effort to force his hand they sat him and deactivated him (without cause). The Knicks now want him to take less money AND after dragging this out and hurting his reputation around the league (not that it was that great before,but people did have interest in him)NOW they want to restrict where he signs afterward. To hell with the Knicks. They owe him his money. If they want him gone pay him and let him go. Why should he take less!? If he were putting up all world numbers but only getting paid $5mil a year, they would not break his deal to pay him more. He would be expected to fulfill his contract.
If he was putting up all world numbers but only getting 5 mill, he probably would have sat out until a new contract had been made, like many others had. There is blame on both sides of the issue, but the Knicks would have to be total idiots (which most think they are, myself included) to pay him his full contract, then let him play for a team that you play against many times per year.

"Mike Tyson of the NBA"....LOL
That says it all
FromMyPoint

New York, NY

#6 Dec 2, 2008
Why should they let him go? He drives down his own value with his attitude, actions and words. At this point let him sit out the rest of the season, it's not like any team is going to pick him up for any meaningful amount of money for the rest of this season. If he signs with another team now for the minimum, the Knicks still have to pay him most of this year's contract and then he goes on his good boy, good citizen routine for the remiander of this year. Next season, someone may gamble that the player they saw for the last couple of months was a new man and he signs a lucrative contract. Let him sit the rest of the season, next year what is remembered is this attitude and any contracts coming his way are for an insulting amount of money for ALL his talents, then it will be the other GM's that are disrespecting this egomaniac.
ummmm

Northport, NY

#7 Dec 2, 2008
"Marbury left the facility and got into his Rolls-Royce with his Driver"...does it sound like the man is hurting for money here?

Before we bash him-who is willing to take a paycut? I don't see anybody raising their hands. NOW-don't get me wrong-Starbury is a spoiled rich brat and doesn't understand that he is not bigger than the NBA-once he understand that (probably never will) he'll be fine. But when you're treated as the biggest thing to come out of the NYC baseketball factory since Lew Alcindor what do you expect...humbleness-gratitude- I think NOT
Hehateme

Valhalla, NY

#8 Dec 2, 2008
Dantoni should have just played Marbury throughout the season. Dantoni really started this mess. If I was Marbury, I would act the same way. Why would Walsh tell him to come into camp in the best shape of his life, then Dantoni not play him come regular season?? His contract is 22mil!!!!!!!!! Duhon could have gotten almost 25 mins a game even as a back up point this year. Marbury could have suprized him by playing excellent sound basketball for NY. It only takes a few wins to get good chemistry back. I cant believe, he just didnt play him. Then Dantoni had the nerve to ask him to play 30 -35mins against the bucks, but prior to that, told him he was not in the knicks plans???? But you need Marbury now only because your shorthanded? The Q rich scrubby behind has alot of mouth but his game is so dodo...
Will

Hollis, NY

#9 Dec 2, 2008
Yeah he should take a pay cut for the simple reason that the new management no longer wants his services and he was GROSSLY overpaid by dimwits Thomas and Dolan. If he really wanted to play in the NBA he would take less and try to make up the difference somewhere else. The problem is and he knows it is that he is a cancer to any team he plays for so not many teams see any upside to this spoiled rotten head case. Larry Brown took less than his contract because his services were no longer required and Marbury is the same. He should feel lucky he got what he did in exchange for giving Knick fans the worst years in franchise history.
ummmm wrote:
"Marbury left the facility and got into his Rolls-Royce with his Driver"...does it sound like the man is hurting for money here?
Before we bash him-who is willing to take a paycut? I don't see anybody raising their hands. NOW-don't get me wrong-Starbury is a spoiled rich brat and doesn't understand that he is not bigger than the NBA-once he understand that (probably never will) he'll be fine. But when you're treated as the biggest thing to come out of the NYC baseketball factory since Lew Alcindor what do you expect...humbleness-gratitude- I think NOT
Kokomo Joe

United States

#10 Dec 2, 2008
This crap belongs in the lap of Thomas and Dolan. While they thought this assrag would bring a championship to New York, apparently, they were wrong! I hope he drains every nickel out of Dolan's pocket that they owe him. Go Stephon!
Will

Hollis, NY

#11 Dec 2, 2008
Best shape of his life?? What about having the best attitude in his horrible professional life and not torturing EVERY Knick coach he's had when he signed the most ridiculous contract in NBA history?? Little prick even turned on Thomas who kissed his behind, gave him that money and let him and his cousin harass and disrespect Anucka Browne and probably others too. Good for D'Antoni and Walsh for sticking it to this piece of garbage.
Hehateme wrote:
Dantoni should have just played Marbury throughout the season. Dantoni really started this mess. If I was Marbury, I would act the same way. Why would Walsh tell him to come into camp in the best shape of his life, then Dantoni not play him come regular season?? His contract is 22mil!!!!!!!!! Duhon could have gotten almost 25 mins a game even as a back up point this year. Marbury could have suprized him by playing excellent sound basketball for NY. It only takes a few wins to get good chemistry back. I cant believe, he just didnt play him. Then Dantoni had the nerve to ask him to play 30 -35mins against the bucks, but prior to that, told him he was not in the knicks plans???? But you need Marbury now only because your shorthanded? The Q rich scrubby behind has alot of mouth but his game is so dodo...
dan mullens

Congers, NY

#12 Dec 2, 2008
marbury sucks shit thru a 7-11 straw!!!! he's a piece of crap who doesn't know when to give in. he's talentless, thats' why he's sucking the knicks dry with payroll. marybury fartbury, shitbury, fuckberry!!!!! Get outta town you little piece of shit!!!!!!!!!!
dan mullens

Congers, NY

#14 Dec 2, 2008
starmon, my most humble appologies. you deserve more-SOMEWHERE ELSE SHIT FOR BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!

“27 wins”

Since: Jan 07

Bradford, PA

#15 Dec 2, 2008
dan mullens wrote:
marbury sucks **** thru a 7-11 straw!!!! he's a piece of **** who doesn't know when to give in. he's talentless, thats' why he's sucking the knicks dry with payroll.
So Dan, I don't want you working for me anymore because I think you stink and I've told everyone in the office that you can't do your job; I've even told all the other companies. However we have a contract here, I'll give you ten cents on the dollar to buy out your contract. Will you take it or make me pay you your original salary?

“FIRE CHILLY! FIRE CHILLY! ”

Since: Aug 08

Rensselaer

#16 Dec 2, 2008
PrnStr910 wrote:
i completely agree with you. its really not fair that they agreed with him on a contract and then all of a sudden they bring in a new coach who doesnt like stephon and the organization thinks he should take a paycut. if d'antoni doesnt want him on the team, then that is ok. but he shouldnt take a paycut because of it. the knicks knew when they brought d'antoni in, that a problem was going come up. marbury showed up to work like he is supposed to. so when the knicks do let him go, i hope he gets every penny he can out of it.
tjrover

Spring Valley, NY

#17 Dec 2, 2008
just be gone already. one of the main reasons I started watching the Knicks again this year was because D'Antoni laid down the law and benched the chumps like Marbury and Curry. Marbury is a team cancer and coach killer and a losing player. He is a selfish ball hog and while he may put up good numbers that is subtracted by his inability to make his teammates better which is the primary responsibility of a point guard.

And now not having his attitude and personality around the team now is addition by subtraction.

He wants his money - that's fine he can sit at home and collect paychecks the Knicks have no obligation to buy out his entire salary just so he can go out and play for another team, he's done nothing but cause trouble in all his time here so the team should do him no favors. Chew on that Marbury fans.

“27 wins”

Since: Jan 07

Bradford, PA

#18 Dec 2, 2008
For once, a White Sox fan and a Yankees fan agree on a sports story?
Owned by

Huntington, NY

#19 Dec 2, 2008
The Knicks - who are owned by Cablevision, who also owns Newsday - are not a very good team because the Knicks- who are owned by Cablevision, who also owns Newsday - cant seem to handle the PR world well, of which the Knicks- who are owned by Cablevision, who also owns Newsday - need to be made aware of the fact that the Knicks - who are owned by Cablevision, who also owns Newsday - most certainly are. Knicks - who are owned by Cablevision, who also owns Newsday. WE GET WHO OWNS YOU NEWSDAY!!!!
Kevin Liebertz

Edison, NJ

#20 Dec 2, 2008
I find it kind of crazy to see how Marbury is portrayed as the villain in this lastest Dolan led Knicks fiasco. In the preseason he did everything that was asked of him, and he looked forward to playing for Mike D'Antoni and his up-tempo style.

Stephon Marbury was not the one that decided he was not part of the Knicks - that decision was made by the coaching staff and/or the team management. They are the ones that should be villified in the press, not Marbury. I hope he waits out the entire season, collects his $21M, then signs with another team and becomes an All-Star once again.

A perfect scenario would have him in the Eastern Conference and his team knocking the Knicks out of the Playoffs or playoff contention. I'd rather see him play this season, but the Dolan's/D'Antoni's/Walsh's of the world are crazy to think the prospect of not playing in the '08-'09 season represents some type of bargaining leverage.
Skot

West Sacramento, CA

#22 Dec 2, 2008
I am with the Knicks on this one. Why should they let him go? So that he can go off on the organization while still getting paid by them? He is getting paid all this money and he storms out of a meeting? How ridiculous is that. They did the right thing by banishing him and now they should make him sit at home with a gag order, the rest of the year. It doesn't matter if they have to pay him in the bargain, but if he pouts they should dock him more money.

For those who say Steph did all the right things in the off-season and came ready to play, he did not do anybody any favors by doing that. It was his duty and he just did that. That by itself doesn't deserve a special mention. He again did not do any favors to anybody by keeping quite for 3 weeks. He is required to do what the team decides for him to do.

I don't see why the knicks players should be distracted by all this. Their job is to come and perform professionally and go. What happens outside should not take away their focus. Yes, some media members will try and keep this alive as much as possible since their livelyhood depends on stories like this. But the players should learn to ignore them and walk away. There will be a lot of episodes like this in their careers, but everytime if they talk about how they are distracted, then they are just looking for excuses.

Forget Steph everybody...let's go on with the season.
Will

Hollis, NY

#23 Dec 2, 2008
He's the villain because he's screwed every Knicks coach who tried to coach him. Not to mention he's a loser and every team that got rid of him did better once he was gone. Finally a coach and GM had the balls to say this punk is not going to hijack our team with his selfish attitude like last year when he basically quit the team because boo hoo hoo Thomas wanted to try him coming off the bench?? Think the WHOLE league didn't know about that? He'll be an all-star again? Thats funny, it'll never happen. He's lucky if anyone is desperate enough to sign the malcontent to come off the bench.
Kevin Liebertz wrote:
I find it kind of crazy to see how Marbury is portrayed as the villain in this lastest Dolan led Knicks fiasco. In the preseason he did everything that was asked of him, and he looked forward to playing for Mike D'Antoni and his up-tempo style.
Stephon Marbury was not the one that decided he was not part of the Knicks - that decision was made by the coaching staff and/or the team management. They are the ones that should be villified in the press, not Marbury. I hope he waits out the entire season, collects his $21M, then signs with another team and becomes an All-Star once again.
A perfect scenario would have him in the Eastern Conference and his team knocking the Knicks out of the Playoffs or playoff contention. I'd rather see him play this season, but the Dolan's/D'Antoni's/Walsh's of the world are crazy to think the prospect of not playing in the '08-'09 season represents some type of bargaining leverage.
Will

Hollis, NY

#24 Dec 2, 2008
Bravo!! Finally someone who is a true Knick fan and is glad this selfish player is getting what he deserves. Walsh should make him earn his money cleaning toilets with Isiah.
tjrover wrote:
just be gone already. one of the main reasons I started watching the Knicks again this year was because D'Antoni laid down the law and benched the chumps like Marbury and Curry. Marbury is a team cancer and coach killer and a losing player. He is a selfish ball hog and while he may put up good numbers that is subtracted by his inability to make his teammates better which is the primary responsibility of a point guard.
And now not having his attitude and personality around the team now is addition by subtraction.
He wants his money - that's fine he can sit at home and collect paychecks the Knicks have no obligation to buy out his entire salary just so he can go out and play for another team, he's done nothing but cause trouble in all his time here so the team should do him no favors. Chew on that Marbury fans.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stephon Marbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New York Knicks: 7 Worst Decisions in the James... (Mar '13) Mar '13 campo 1
News Isiah Thomas joins NBA TV as studio analyst (Dec '12) Dec '12 Tom 1
News Team USA, and Carmelo Anthony, dominates Nigeri... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Sammy 34
News Allen Iverson hopes to play in China (Apr '12) Apr '12 Somalisthefuture 3
News Knicks on the 'pay no mind' list (Feb '08) Mar '12 terrome porter 21
News Knicks Fan Stephon Marbury: Ita s a a Matter of... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Sick Of All the B... 1
News Manager: Iverson considers playing overseas (Sep '10) Sep '10 Bill R 1
More from around the web