Knicks need New York kind of guy in 2010

Full story: Newsday

So what is to be learned from the sad, strange story of Stephon Marbury ? Is there a lesson somewhere, some whisker of wisdom that the Knicks can take out from this fable of a franchise player gone wrong? You ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 24 Comments Last updated May 5, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Yeil

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Feb 26, 2009
NYStateOfMind

Ridgewood, NY

#2 Feb 26, 2009
If Cleveland puts the right players together with LeBron James, I can't see him leaving unless the Knicks trade for an equivalent player before the February 2010 trading deadline...

If the Knicks target Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh together with some of the players of this year's team, that maybe a better team overall than bringing in a LeBron James...
Good luck Steph

Forest Hills, NY

#3 Feb 26, 2009
One thing I agree with is: "Marbury could have been King of New York, but something was missing." Yeah. He needed teammates that could play. Just as Paul Pierce couldn't do it alone in Boston - until he got Garnett and Allen.

Houston and Marbury would have been a great tandem but the $ 100 million dollar man's knees gave out and no one else of his caliber was brought in to replace him.

Marbury never called out hs teammates - although he had a right to.

Ewing was often faulted in the media for not being media friendly.
New Yorker in Florida

Tampa, FL

#4 Feb 26, 2009
Good luck Steph wrote:
One thing I agree with is: "Marbury could have been King of New York, but something was missing." Yeah. He needed teammates that could play. Just as Paul Pierce couldn't do it alone in Boston - until he got Garnett and Allen.
Houston and Marbury would have been a great tandem but the $ 100 million dollar man's knees gave out and no one else of his caliber was brought in to replace him.
Marbury never called out hs teammates - although he had a right to.
Ewing was often faulted in the media for not being media friendly.
Hey there is some doubt as to wether any top players would have come to play alongside Marbury.
He had a few good teammates and was as responsible as anyone in the organization for those players being gone now. He had great potential but comparing him to Paul Pierce only highlights the major difference.
One player hung tough and wanted better teammates so that he was not the only focus on the court. He led even as/when the situation needed improvement.
The other player thought very differently about what to focus on.
Head

Miami, FL

#5 Feb 26, 2009
I hate hearing how New York needs this and that. Screw N.Y. They're not getting their hands on D-Wade and maybe not LeBron so they can get that out of their fat heads. I hope somehow they don't land anyone. Who the hell wants to play in front of those fairweather fans anyway? I H8 N.Y.
joe

Los Angeles, CA

#6 Feb 26, 2009
What drivel. The Knicks will target the best players available. All of the top free agents can play anywhere without an issue. This is the NBA. The best players don't thrive in one market and shrink in another. Marbury's issues in New York were no different from his issues in other cities. They were magnified because of the poisonous Dolan/Isiah environment, not because of the fans, the media or the expectations.
tominmaine

Portland, ME

#7 Feb 26, 2009
The key point Ms. Barker neglects to explore here is the role Isiah played in Marbury's demise. He gave ear to Starbury's gripes about Larry Brown, thereby undermining the one coach who may have been able to turn him around (see Iverson).
New Yorker now in Florida

Tampa, FL

#8 Feb 26, 2009
Head wrote:
I hate hearing how New York needs this and that. Screw N.Y. They're not getting their hands on D-Wade and maybe not LeBron so they can get that out of their fat heads. I hope somehow they don't land anyone. Who the hell wants to play in front of those fairweather fans anyway? I H8 N.Y.
I understand the sentiment regarding New York.
Most people either love it or hate it.
But the talk about acquiring a top player is not much different from any other city looking for it's team(s) to make improvements.
NY is a city that loves Basketball.
There are fairweather fans everywhere you go. Much less so in New York than most every other city.
Your city in fact is known for being there only when the Heat has heated up (not so much when they run cold).
Knicks have been horrible and poorly run for years now and still get sellout regularly at MSG.
Glass houses my friend, glass houses.

using my time machine:
quick cut Knick announcers early 2011
"that was an unbelievable lead pass from Lebron to Wade, you can tell they are getting more comfortable with each other after that great playoff run of last year".

ANSWER to your immature question -
plenty of players will want to play at MSG in front of the fans that know their basketball.
Vic in Long Beach CA

Long Beach, CA

#9 Feb 26, 2009
The moron from FL, who thinks Knicks fans are fairweather and he hates NY... What are you doing reading a Long Island, NY newspaper anyway? GET A LIFE bro!! A Heat fan calling out other fans as fairweather? Pah-lease!!!
Tiffany

Bronx, NY

#10 Feb 27, 2009
i miss starbury

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#11 Feb 27, 2009
New Yorker in Florida wrote:
<quoted text>
Hey there is some doubt as to wether any top players would have come to play alongside Marbury.
He had a few good teammates and was as responsible as anyone in the organization for those players being gone now. He had great potential but comparing him to Paul Pierce only highlights the major difference.
One player hung tough and wanted better teammates so that he was not the only focus on the court. He led even as/when the situation needed improvement.
The other player thought very differently about what to focus on.
Marbury didn't sign JJames for $30 Mil and then draft Frye instead Bynum because the Knicks 'already had a center' and needed a PF. Marbury alway wanted better teammates, He got a Shhoting guard in Crawford that shot 30% and Q-BRICK at Small forward. He had a coach that featured Curry one year and then Crawford the next. then last year a coach that changed strategy each night instead of usuing his players to dictate the game like D'Anton does now. NY fans and media like to ignore a lot of things when it comes to Marbury.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#12 Feb 27, 2009
Good luck Steph wrote:
One thing I agree with is: "Marbury could have been King of New York, but something was missing." Yeah. He needed teammates that could play. Just as Paul Pierce couldn't do it alone in Boston - until he got Garnett and Allen.
Houston and Marbury would have been a great tandem but the $ 100 million dollar man's knees gave out and no one else of his caliber was brought in to replace him.
Marbury never called out hs teammates - although he had a right to.
Ewing was often faulted in the media for not being media friendly.
no one had a problem with Houston. The KNicks gave him a 10 year Max contract... he played 2 before getting hurt.. Because he TRIED to play each spring he was the good guy... as I recall he got paid EVERY PENNY of that contract and the KNicks were over the cap every one of those years.
Fidel

New York, NY

#13 Mar 13, 2009
I grew up in west Africa and have been a knicks fan b4 i ever came to US. I just want the team management to understand that we need to have very good players b4 looking for a so call super star. We need to resign Nate and Lee b4 anything else. It takes a very special player to score 30 points in about15 games a year or to average a double double in about 60 times a year. These two guys are so good that when we add a star it will raise their games and confidence. Moreover a star need to have good players to play with. There are so many stars in the NBA that Nate and Lee are better than them. Nate should win 6 man of the year without any doubt for he is as good as anyone in the NBA.

Since: Jan 07

Location hidden

#14 Mar 14, 2009
Fidel wrote:
I grew up in west Africa and have been a knicks fan b4 i ever came to US. I just want the team management to understand that we need to have very good players b4 looking for a so call super star. We need to resign Nate and Lee b4 anything else. It takes a very special player to score 30 points in about15 games a year or to average a double double in about 60 times a year. These two guys are so good that when we add a star it will raise their games and confidence. Moreover a star need to have good players to play with. There are so many stars in the NBA that Nate and Lee are better than them. Nate should win 6 man of the year without any doubt for he is as good as anyone in the NBA.
true. It's hard to tell what their plans are. It's seems that the criteria is length of contract looking toward 2010 rather than talent. Q-Brick has gone from starter to end of bench player, so hopefully Nate and Lee are treated fairly. IN Hughes they have their best 2 guard since Houston. AFter Hughes, Lee, Nate, Chandler, Duhon, Galinari it's heard to tell who is in their long term plans. Jeffries has shown he has value and be a shut down defender at 4 positions but his price may be too high. If the goal is make a bid for Lebron, they will need a solid core for him to even consider leaving Cleveland where he has the best home record in the NBA.
Tiffany

Bronx, NY

#15 Mar 14, 2009
if the knicks needed a "new york kind of guy" then why didnt they kept starbury?
boss tweed mummert

Forest Park, IL

#16 Mar 14, 2009
the only thing that will save the knicks is Lebron James. they will miss the playoffs for another year.
Tiffany

Bronx, NY

#17 Mar 16, 2009
they dont need that ball hog,they got a bunch,my fault,a whole team of players who can get this team to playoff form boss
boss tweed mummert

Forest Park, IL

#18 Mar 16, 2009
Lebron would bring back attendance to the Garden. plus it would reunite him with Larry.
Tiffany

Bronx, NY

#19 Mar 16, 2009
nope,the garden is always full,we knick fans stand behind our team no matter what
boss tweed mummert

Forest Park, IL

#20 Mar 16, 2009
well then the Dolans should try and deliver a championship to the loyal Knick fans. you haven't won a title since 1973. lebron would go a long way in helping out with that effort.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stephon Marbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New York Knicks: 7 Worst Decisions in the James... (Mar '13) Mar '13 campo 1
Isiah Thomas joins NBA TV as studio analyst (Dec '12) Dec '12 Tom 1
Team USA, and Carmelo Anthony, dominates Nigeri... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Sammy 34
Allen Iverson hopes to play in China (Apr '12) Apr '12 Somalisthefuture 3
Knicks on the 'pay no mind' list (Feb '08) Mar '12 terrome porter 21
Knicks Fan Stephon Marbury: Ita s a a Matter of... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Sick Of All the B... 1
Manager: Iverson considers playing overseas (Sep '10) Sep '10 Bill R 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Stephon Marbury People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••