Marbury defends Vick calling him a "g...

Marbury defends Vick calling him a "good human being" -

There are 128 comments on the Newsday story from Aug 21, 2007, titled Marbury defends Vick calling him a "good human being" -. In it, Newsday reports that:

Stephon Marbury on Monday defended Michael Vick and said the Falcons quarterback, who the same day pleaded guilty to a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge, "is a good human being." "We don't say anything ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Two dog owner

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Aug 21, 2007
"From what I hear, dogfighting is a sport...."

A-hole. Tell me you're kidding. If not, you've just undone whatever good the starbury discount sneakers produced.
www

Westfield, MA

#2 Aug 21, 2007
cruelty to animals, including drowning, hanging, and electrocuting, because of "poor performance" on their part, perhaps should be extended to those human athletes who fall into the same catagory. why not? a sport is a sport is a sport.
RED HOLZMAN

Waxhaw, NC

#3 Aug 21, 2007
Starbury probably has the same opinion of OJ
wray

Jamaica, NY

#4 Aug 21, 2007
I think he should practice basketball because he will not make it a comedian.
Dog fighting is where you have dogs tear each other apart.
Joanne

Springfield, MO

#5 Aug 21, 2007
Who is this guy Marbury? He speaks out of complete ignorance.

First, no one with any sense of decency would call dogfighting a "sport." To train dogs to rip each other to shreds destroys the capacity of the dogs to socialize with humans; it therefore deprives them of any chance to know real happiness and joy, which is the right of every domesticated animal. To then have dogs fight and main and even killl each other for our amusement is depraved behavior. It is barbaric. Hunting deer, with the goal of killing them with a single shot and then processing them for food, is altogether different from training dogs for fighting and then watching these barbaric fights for amusement. And to follow the fights with electrocution, hanging, or drowning the "losers" is simply torture. Doesn't Marbury get it that dogs feel pain, and that to deliberately inflict pain on another living being for amusement is evil?

And to say that Vick "fell into a bad situation" is to insult my intelligence and to insult Vick's capacity to exercise judgment. The man made a choice, over and over again, to torture animals for his own and others' amusement, to make money on the enterprise, and to encourage gambling, another soul-destroying endeavor. Vick is not beyond redemption, but I hope his sentence is harsh. We in this country simply have to begin to learn that to treat animals cruelly is evil, and does untold damage to our own minds and souls. As for Marbury, perhaps he'd better think and get some education on these matters before he expresses any further opinions.

kevin

Tallinn, Estonia

#6 Aug 22, 2007
good post joanne
Rich

Las Vegas, NV

#7 Aug 22, 2007
I cant believe he actually condones the dogfighting and compares it to shooting deer. He has to be the dumbest person on earth. If I signed him to an endorsement deal I would pull it immediately.
Brian

Rye, NY

#9 Aug 22, 2007
Damn, Marbury was not calling it a sport. What he was saying was from what he has heard about it, that it was seen as a behind closed doors sport. He also said that Michael Vick was a good human being who was basically stupid enough to get himself caught in a horrible situation which is his own fault.

He didn't condone it, and it's not like deer hunting which is almost as stupid "sport". All this comparisions to hunting is basically saying, to hunters what they are doing is a sport and not wrong.. and that's what these morons who raise dogs to fight believe about what they are doing too.

That being said, I hope Vick gets much longer than the year and a half rumor. After that, he served his time and deserves a second chance.. and if he screws up again then it's no one's fault but his own.
John

Chesterfield, MO

#10 Aug 22, 2007
Who cares if dog fighting or deer hunting is a sport! The main reason he is getting sentenced is because he tortured several animals in an inhumane manner. If someone was killing deer in the manner Vick was killing his dogs, they should go to prison too.
James

Fremont, CA

#11 Aug 22, 2007
I really think people need to understand that everyone has an opinion on this subject. I personally think people really care more about animals than they do humans. Blacks have been treated "inhuman" for hundreds of years and there wasnt this much controversy regarding that subject. An animals natural instinct is to fight...people are trying to turn pets into gentle, polite, well mannered & groomed creatures, like they are humans... I think its typical for the media to turn this situation and Mike Vick into a horrible person...I wonder what people would say if it were Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.... AS FAST AS THE MEDIA BUILDS YOU UP, THEY ARE EVEN QUICKER TRYING TO DESTROY A BLACK ATHELETE OR CELEBRITY....IT'S AMAZING...
michaela

Horseheads, NY

#12 Aug 22, 2007
mr.narbury is a class individual.he is returning to his routes a fellow brooklyn nite .i appreciatehis altruistic character.i graduated boys high school in1961 one after hall of famer connie hawkins.i met hall of famer len wilkens,tommie davis.joe pepitone went to manual training.the aspromonte brothers lafayatte hs.i personally agree with mr.marbury.we live ingeneral in anegative,violent societymateialistic not spiritualif mr vick would have donated the proceeds tocharity would that exonerate himmr.marbury two negatives only make a positive in alegbranot in brooklynand society.
JIM

Waxhaw, NC

#13 Aug 22, 2007
James wrote:
I really think people need to understand that everyone has an opinion on this subject. I personally think people really care more about animals than they do humans. Blacks have been treated "inhuman" for hundreds of years and there wasnt this much controversy regarding that subject. An animals natural instinct is to fight...people are trying to turn pets into gentle, polite, well mannered & groomed creatures, like they are humans... I think its typical for the media to turn this situation and Mike Vick into a horrible person...I wonder what people would say if it were Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.... AS FAST AS THE MEDIA BUILDS YOU UP, THEY ARE EVEN QUICKER TRYING TO DESTROY A BLACK ATHELETE OR CELEBRITY....IT'S AMAZING...
Another jerk trying to explain away the animalistic behaviour of a two legged creature. Can you explain away carjackings also by saying he needed to get to AHEM work?
Mike

Saint Louis, MO

#14 Aug 22, 2007
@john??? I care if its a sport... why the double standard?

He is getting sentenced 1. because it happened in VA where dogfighting is a felony but hunting deer is not and 2. because of the gambling.

The torture has nothing to do with it and I think starbury brings up a great point. So why the double standard?

“Spay and neuter your pet”

Since: Jul 07

Burnt Hills

#16 Aug 22, 2007
www wrote:
cruelty to animals, including drowning, hanging, and electrocuting, because of "poor performance" on their part, perhaps should be extended to those human athletes who fall into the same catagory. why not? a sport is a sport is a sport.
Good comment, now ask this idiot what he thinks about that.
Sadie Mae Glutz

Brooklyn, NY

#17 Aug 22, 2007
James wrote:
I really think people need to understand that everyone has an opinion on this subject. I personally think people really care more about animals than they do humans. Blacks have been treated "inhuman" for hundreds of years and there wasnt this much controversy regarding that subject. An animals natural instinct is to fight...people are trying to turn pets into gentle, polite, well mannered & groomed creatures, like they are humans... I think its typical for the media to turn this situation and Mike Vick into a horrible person...I wonder what people would say if it were Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.... AS FAST AS THE MEDIA BUILDS YOU UP, THEY ARE EVEN QUICKER TRYING TO DESTROY A BLACK ATHELETE OR CELEBRITY....IT'S AMAZING...
That's funny. You are joking right?
shameless-li

Denver, CO

#19 Aug 22, 2007
quote...."Stephon Marbury on Monday defended Michael Vick and said the Falcons quarterback, who the same day pleaded guilty to a federal dogfighting conspiracy charge, "is a good human being."

of course he is....

“Spay and neuter your pet”

Since: Jul 07

Burnt Hills

#22 Aug 22, 2007
James wrote:
I really think people need to understand that everyone has an opinion on this subject. I personally think people really care more about animals than they do humans. Blacks have been treated "inhuman" for hundreds of years and there wasnt this much controversy regarding that subject. An animals natural instinct is to fight...people are trying to turn pets into gentle, polite, well mannered & groomed creatures, like they are humans... I think its typical for the media to turn this situation and Mike Vick into a horrible person...I wonder what people would say if it were Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.... AS FAST AS THE MEDIA BUILDS YOU UP, THEY ARE EVEN QUICKER TRYING TO DESTROY A BLACK ATHELETE OR CELEBRITY....IT'S AMAZING...
I'm not a racist by any sense of the word and as far as I'm concerned I could care less if he's black, green or purple. And for you to say that you think people care more about animals than humans, well I think people care just as much about animals as they do humans. As for the justice system not being harsh enough in the penalties on crimes against humanity alot of us animal lovers agree. But this is not the issue on this forum. This is about the henious crimes committed against companion animals. Animals don't fight just to fight. They fight for food, protection of family,territory and to protect themselves. And we have domesticated these animals and it is our moral obligation to care for them as such. You say that people are turning these animals into gentle, polite, well mannered and groomed creatures like they are humans,and I beg to differ. Animals could never be like humans and if they did then watch out world. One dangerous species(humans) is about all this world can handle at the moment. Look at the world we live in and how dangerous, vile and vicious humans are and you're saying it's the animals that are the dangerous one. What rock have you been hiding under? I'd also like you to look at all the dogs who do such good work and deeds like saving people from burning buildings and seeing eye dogs, cancer sniffing dogs and rescue dogs. Your comments indicate that they are worthless creatures and nothing could be farther from the truth. As for the media and Mike Vick, well the media didn't put a gun to his head and make him do this. He did it all on his own and now is the time for him to suffer the consequences for his actions. Known fact all serial killers started out killing animals first and I'm not saying Vick could turn out to be one but to say that crimes aganist animals isn't tolerated in society anymore and that's not anything new. They are living creatures and deserve respect and compassion something Vick refused to do.
Melissa

United States

#24 Aug 22, 2007
www wrote:
cruelty to animals, including drowning, hanging, and electrocuting, because of "poor performance" on their part, perhaps should be extended to those human athletes who fall into the same catagory. why not? a sport is a sport is a sport.
Good point.
shameless-li

Denver, CO

#25 Aug 22, 2007
James wrote:
I think its typical for the media to turn this situation and Mike Vick into a horrible person...I wonder what people would say if it were Peyton Manning or Tom Brady.... AS FAST AS THE MEDIA BUILDS YOU UP, THEY ARE EVEN QUICKER TRYING TO DESTROY A BLACK ATHELETE OR CELEBRITY....IT'S AMAZING...
oh yeah, pete rose, mark mcquire, mike danton, lance armstrong, bob probert, brittany spears/paris hilton
Melissa

United States

#26 Aug 22, 2007
Mike wrote:
@john??? I care if its a sport... why the double standard?
He is getting sentenced 1. because it happened in VA where dogfighting is a felony but hunting deer is not and 2. because of the gambling.
The torture has nothing to do with it and I think starbury brings up a great point. So why the double standard?
Dog fighting is a felony in all but two jurisdictions I believe. If you don't think the torture of animals has anything to do with it, you are a seriously misguided individual. Why do you think it is a felony in the first place. As for the gambling...do you think that anyone would care if Vick was involved in a wager on a game of pool?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stephon Marbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News New York Knicks: 7 Worst Decisions in the James... (Mar '13) Mar '13 campo 1
News Isiah Thomas joins NBA TV as studio analyst (Dec '12) Dec '12 Tom 1
News Team USA, and Carmelo Anthony, dominates Nigeri... (Aug '12) Aug '12 Sammy 34
News Allen Iverson hopes to play in China (Apr '12) Apr '12 Somalisthefuture 3
News Knicks on the 'pay no mind' list (Feb '08) Mar '12 terrome porter 21
News Knicks Fan Stephon Marbury: Ita s a a Matter of... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Sick Of All the B... 1
News Manager: Iverson considers playing overseas (Sep '10) Sep '10 Bill R 1
More from around the web