It's not saints vs. sinners with Colt...

It's not saints vs. sinners with Colts and Pacers

There are 88 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 21, 2007, titled It's not saints vs. sinners with Colts and Pacers. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Eight hours earlier, we were sitting in the media room at the Colts practice facility, talking about exactly this issue , saying how the fans and media have completely bought into this Pacers and Colts as ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
PRO BASKETBALL BLOWS

Utica, KY

#82 Feb 21, 2007
David Anderson wrote:
I agree with your points, but think you've missed an important factor.
The Pacers began the pre-preseason with a media blitz telling the fans that this year would be different. This was the year they would step up. Instead, it has been a year of mediocre basketball and too many stupid off-court incidents (with Jamaal Tinsley in the middle of them all).
And as for the Colts no one on the team has ever done any thing as serious as the Pacers previous 2 incidents and no one on the colts has got in trouble twice in a year like Tinsley and Danniels. So I think as long as Rhodes stays out of trouble for the rest of the year he's got my vote for another superbowl ring next year with the Colts.
I think most fans (at least in Indiana) just want to see a team perform the best they can. The Pacers never won it all in the 90's, but there was a love and loyalty to that team from this city. Ditto the Colts, especially this year.
Incidents will come and go in Pro sports (and every other facit of life). The Colts may have played the 'God' card a bit too much in the aftermath of SuperBowl XLI, but who is to question Tony Dungy on his faith? There is no inconsistancy there. The Colts delivered and did it in a classy way - no stupid end zone celebrations, no felonies during the season, etc. Dom Rhodes not withstanding, the Colts deserve credit for their effort and this city deserves to feel good about the Championship they brought us.
On the other hand, the Pacers brought the biggest embarrassment in recent sports memory upon this city when Ron Ron and Wacko Jacko exploded in Detroit. Since then, their previously solid management team has tried a pitiful mix of making hollow PR promises of a new accountability, then slowly sheparding the 'bad boys' out of town while staying silent in the face of continued bad behavior.
The result, at least for me a former avid Pacer fan, is an organization that has lost their credibility. Mix that with incredibly average play on the court and you have a team that is hard to cheer about.
To conclude, the saints vs sinners may be an easy play in the media, but I think it lacks merit and substance while giving unnecessary cover to the Pacers. The Pacers should stop whining about a perceived favorable coverage of the Colts (BTW, I'm guessing they'll get some good pub if they bring home a Championship too) and start thinking about how to rebuild their credibility as a winner and first class franchise. When the fans see that happen, we'll stop obsessing over the off court issues. In the meantime, most of us have had it with the lack of character the Pacers seem to display and Jamaal Tinsley - fair or not - makes a good target for our frustration.
Peace Out.
And as for the Colts no one on the team has ever done any thing as serious as the Pacers previous 2 incidents and no one on the colts has got in trouble twice in a year like Tinsley and Danniels. So I think as long as Rhodes stays out of trouble for the rest of the year he's got my vote for another superbowl ring next year with the Colts.
JRB

Fort Thomas, KY

#83 Feb 22, 2007
It seems to me that Dominic Rhodes was acting responsibly except for driving 81 mph. Afterall what is 0.9. I think thats 2 beers maybe in an hour? I don't really know. He wasn't hammered. Give him a ticket and send him to driving school.
Kim

Bloomington, IN

#84 Feb 22, 2007
If the Rhodes situation is all you can come up with then I will have to buy into the sinners vs. saints paradigm. If this is the "worst" example for the Colts then the Pacer players and organization should be ashamed.
Jim_in Detroit

Harper Woods, MI

#85 Feb 22, 2007
Go Colts wrote:
<quoted text>
They play 16 games, one a week, and have bye weeks. Basketball is 80+ games, many of them back to back. You try running up and down the court night in and night out. I played football in college. Took the hits. Guess what. I get to go into the huddle after each play. Once again, bandwagon fans
You know I don't need to try to run up and down the court to understand what these guys go thru, nor did I play football to understand what the Colts go thru...and likewise I don't have 14 million sitting in the bank to play a kids game. What I do know is that I lived in Indy for 23 years before moving away. I've never waivered from being a Pacers fan once (Just see my Pacers office working in Detroit for proof of that). The point I'm trying to make is when you live other places and the one thing you hear about in other cities is Pacers troubles off the court (plus the brawl)...it begins to be a little embarrassing as a fan. I know regardless of the troubles of this team, I will continue to be a fan. 5 years down the road, who will remember Jamal Tinsley...we'll already be off to our next starting point guard.(And in all honestly with some of the point guards who've worn a Pacers uniform...man Tinsley just doesn't stack up...gimme Heywood Workman, Mark Jackson, Anthony Johnson, Travis Best, etc...any day!)
COLTS IN 08

Utica, KY

#86 Feb 22, 2007
Just today Peyton Manning restructured his contract subtracting down sizing a 10 million dollar signing bonus to 2, leaving the COLTS 8 MILLION UNDER THE SALLERY CAP

THE MEMBERS OF THIS TEAM ARE TRUE SAINTS, THEY WANT ANOTHER CHAMPION SHIP NEXT YEAR MORE THEN ANY THING IN THE WORLD!!!!!!!!!!
David DeVilbiss

New Palestine, IN

#87 Feb 22, 2007
There is another aspect to the arrest of Dominic Rhodes and it doesn't reflect well on any of us. Under the old standard 0.1% there would be no "crime", but thanks to MADD and a micro-management legislature, we now have a "drunk driver." Then there's the "speeding violation". Who goes anywhere near the posted limits on the interstate highway, particularly with light traffic and safe road conditions? It looks more like a black man in an expensive car being stopped for the wrong reason and that make us all look bad.
Chris

East Saint Louis, IL

#88 Feb 22, 2007
Your comparing apples to oranges. Rhodes had a BAC of .09. That could have been three drinks with dinner instead of two. Come on!!
wilspeedway

Indianapolis, IN

#89 Feb 27, 2007
What a lousy comparison. How about champs vs. chumps? How many players are on the roster. Including the practice squad. Because God knows if the media could throw them under the bus Kravitz would be driving. Let's just say for arguments sake it's 60. Now. How many Pacers are we talking about? 20 tops? do the math Bob...I know you went to IU so maybe call someone over. Lastly. Has anything the Colts done that may have been over the morality line since 85 ever been compared to "perhaps the darkest moment of the NBA"....? I think not. The Pacers now have that lable. And rightfully so. Let's face it. NFL has it's Cincy. But the NBA has about 20 other Pacer situations out there. If you look at the percent of roster vs. problems then the NBA and clearly the Pacers are in a class of they're own.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stephen Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Spurs forward Stephen Jackson fined for Twitter... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Sam 2
News Surging San Antonio Spurs top Cleveland Cavaliers (Apr '12) Apr '12 Split Lickety 1
News Basketball Wives LA: TV Review (Aug '11) Oct '11 Sammy 25
News Jackson, Bobcats rally past Warriors 121-113 in OT (Jan '11) Jan '11 matt_jackson-vita... 1
News Bobcats 108, Timberwolves 105 (OT): The pattern... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Fan 1
News NBA suspends Bobcats' Jackson for berating ref (Nov '10) Nov '10 B-B Fan 1
News Timberwolves show their age in late meltdown ag... (Nov '10) Nov '10 DD Austin 13
More from around the web