It's not saints vs. sinners with Colt...

It's not saints vs. sinners with Colts and Pacers

There are 88 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Feb 21, 2007, titled It's not saints vs. sinners with Colts and Pacers. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Eight hours earlier, we were sitting in the media room at the Colts practice facility, talking about exactly this issue , saying how the fans and media have completely bought into this Pacers and Colts as ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Public relations

Louisville, KY

#1 Feb 21, 2007
No the Colts are not Saints but just hours after the incident the organization has come out with a strong statement condemning the behavior and reminding fans that Dom's contract is ready to expire. I would call that effective leadership and damage control. TAKE A NOTE ON THAT Pacers. Throughout all your problems you have appeared leaderless and off course. Public Relations 101...the worst thing you can say in crisis communications is "no comment." You want people to forgive and forget and buy your $150 dollar tickets, somebody over at Conseco better start coming up with a "comment."
Fred

Michigan City, IN

#2 Feb 21, 2007
Personally, they are all human just like us. We all make mistakes. My feeling, though, is that if you are in the public eye, you have to watch yourself more because a mistake will be called out on a larger scale and you are doomed to slanderous remarks by some. That being said, what I don't quite agree with is the seemingly unfair or special treatment stars and celebrities get. We are all citizens of this nation and should be held to the same standard regardless of popularity, social status, or the size of our bank accounts.

MHO, at least.
Fan1

Petersburg, VA

#3 Feb 21, 2007
I don't think Rhodes is an evil or bad man for his drunk driving. Yeah he shouldn't have done it. We've all done stuff we shouldn't have done. Is this any reason not to resign him, or to villanize him? I feel sorry for him. I'm sure he already regrets it. And he didn't act like an idiot like Mel Gibson when he got pulled. Give him a break. My husband had a DUI years ago and he has suffered and paid for it many times over.

And the Dallas Clark thing, would that even make the news if it were Joe Nobody? Come on, these guys aren't the Cowboys, or the Bengals.
Pete

Indianapolis, IN

#4 Feb 21, 2007
While I agree with your concept of this article, I would point out that the Colts tend to deal with their troubled players and either get them headed in the right direction or get them headed out of town. Unlike the Pacers who can't seem to figure out that tigers (or Bengals?) can't change their stripes, the Colts follow league guidelines and then cut the knuckleheads loose.

And one other thing. While the Colts have 53 players vs. 12 for the Pacers, the Pacers seem to have a higher percentage of knuckleheads. This seems to be part of their philosophy that talent can overcome everything and I don't believe that is true.

Pete
Poogiesue

Indianapolis, IN

#5 Feb 21, 2007
I guess we need to wait until these boys grow up before we hire them to play ball for us. I guess they would be too old to play, then, huh?
Good read

Salem, IN

#6 Feb 21, 2007
So true. No one is ever as bad, or as good, as they're made out to be by fans.

That being said, why does everyone hate Tinsley?

He's a ball handler extraoridnare(sp) and can break people down at will yet he's detested here.

What gives you silly hillbillies?
CDUB

Indianapolis, IN

#7 Feb 21, 2007
This has been my point all along in my posts on other stories! The Colts are not saints and you can't let a championship hide the fact that he broke the law which many fans are. I understand that .09 is just barely there and he probably didn't even feel it but the law is the law and he broke it and needs to be held accountable. Many families are destroyed on a daily basis from DUI's and we as citizens (not fans) can condone or accept this because he is a sports hero right now. You can support him but do it in a way that you still get the message across that breaking the law is not acceptable and will not be tolerated. I guess treat it like you would your kids, love them unconditionaly but teach them consequences of their actions!
grover

New Palestine, IN

#8 Feb 21, 2007
Public relations wrote:
No the Colts are not Saints but just hours after the incident the organization has come out with a strong statement condemning the behavior and reminding fans that Dom's contract is ready to expire. I would call that effective leadership and damage control. TAKE A NOTE ON THAT Pacers. Throughout all your problems you have appeared leaderless and off course. Public Relations 101...the worst thing you can say in crisis communications is "no comment." You want people to forgive and forget and buy your $150 dollar tickets, somebody over at Conseco better start coming up with a "comment."
Heh heh. My thoughts exactly. Good call, dude.
CDUB

Indianapolis, IN

#9 Feb 21, 2007
Pete wrote:
While I agree with your concept of this article, I would point out that the Colts tend to deal with their troubled players and either get them headed in the right direction or get them headed out of town. Unlike the Pacers who can't seem to figure out that tigers (or Bengals?) can't change their stripes, the Colts follow league guidelines and then cut the knuckleheads loose.
And one other thing. While the Colts have 53 players vs. 12 for the Pacers, the Pacers seem to have a higher percentage of knuckleheads. This seems to be part of their philosophy that talent can overcome everything and I don't believe that is true.
Pete
I agree to an extent. I would say the main thing is not roster size but the disipline involved in both sports. Football even from the peewee level is tought with sportsmanship and respect. Basketball is not taught on the same level, as I played both sports threw highschool. Therefore when these guys reach the pro ranks the Bball guys are more about self promotion because that is what the media sets them up for. Football has always been more team focused and players by habit by into that with the exception of TO of course. I think that is why we see more truoble from Basketball players than football. Basketball just doesn't seem to set the higher standard that football does with sportsmanhship and disipline. Pacers front office needs to rule with an iron fist and show that it will not be tolerated!
Humble

Indianapolis, IN

#10 Feb 21, 2007
Let's just take Rhoades out to the Circle and have a public whipping. People get into trouble all the time. He happens to be a Colt's player and yes, there is an expectation that they will follow the rules and be upstanding citizens in this community. He will be dealt with by the court and the organization. They don't need the help of the media. Krap seems happy that he can find fault; gloating over trouble. Rhoades is a young man that needs help and support, not this naw naw naw naw naw attitude, a Colt player got in trouble.
Bruce Brian

Louisville, KY

#11 Feb 21, 2007
Bob, nice column.
I would add that is is also the law of large numbers at work. When two or three Colts players screw up, it is only two or three out of 50 some players. With the Pacers, two or three out of 15 is a little harder to accept.
pete

Seoul, Korea

#12 Feb 21, 2007
"Drunk drivers kill people. Bar-room brawlers don't -- generally speaking."
Generally speaking, both kill people, albeit in differing numbers. Anyone who has ever driven when even slightly intoxicated has increased their risk of causing an accident. And speaking generally again, I'd venture that anyone that drinks (and I assume Kravitz does or has) has at one time driven while intoxicated near or above the legal limit. I know I have, and regretted it.
One difference

Carmel, IN

#13 Feb 21, 2007
Pete wrote:
Pete
The tough part for the Pacers is the NBA system. In the NFL, you can cut players. In the NBA, you're stuck with a player until the contract expires. I do think they need to lose Bird, Walsh, and Carlisle and start over, but I do think comparing the two franchises is rough considering the difference in the leagues and how they handle contracts. The NFL is the only league that has figured out that a salary cap with no guarentee on the contracts is the best thing for everyone involved. Until MLB and NBA figure it out, there will always be James White and Jonathan Bender contracts on every team that you can't get rid of until they expire. It's harder to fix mistakes in the NBA. Walsh and Bird have made quite a few of them and it's hurting their situation, but unfortunately, there's not much they can do with the system they've been given to fix the team. We can support both, but I do think firing Bird, Walsh, and Carlisle would be a good place for the Pacers to start in bringing back the fans they've lost.
just me

West Newton, IN

#14 Feb 21, 2007
There should be an accurate machine at every bar so a citizen can check his blood alchohol level before he or she drives. That way you know for sure if you a breaking the law before you drive.
Seek help

Louisville, KY

#15 Feb 21, 2007
Kravitz: "No, Rhodes wasn't hammered, not with a 0.09 percent blood-alcohol level. And yes, when I read about it, I thought, "There, but for the grace of God, go I.''"

Bob, now that you have admitted you have a problem please seek help before you do get behind the wheel after drinking and kill someone. Anyone who drinks and then drives has a drinking problem.
TINSLEY TOWN

Indianapolis, IN

#16 Feb 21, 2007
Good read wrote:
So true. No one is ever as bad, or as good, as they're made out to be by fans.
That being said, why does everyone hate Tinsley?
He's a ball handler extraoridnare(sp) and can break people down at will yet he's detested here.
What gives you silly hillbillies?
HE JUST HAS A HOLE WRITTEN ON HIS FOREHEAD
NEVER LIKED HIM GET HIM OUT
TINSLEY TOWN

Indianapolis, IN

#17 Feb 21, 2007
HE WEARS THE HEAD BAND TO COVER THE A HOLE INSCRIBED ON HIS FOREHEAD
Kevin Alvis

Jeffersonville, IN

#18 Feb 21, 2007
Kravits, you have done it again ! To compare the Colts to the thug-ish Pacers, you have lost all credibility!
Denny

Denver, CO

#19 Feb 21, 2007
Well said, and long overdue.
Peter Stringer

Hanover Park, IL

#20 Feb 21, 2007
The media commentary both for the Colts and Pacers latest incident seems way over the top to me. I suspect that the margin of error on the alcohol test is greater than the amount by which Dominic exceeded the legal limit. In any event, it's not like he's an axe murderer!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stephen Jackson Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Spurs forward Stephen Jackson fined for Twitter... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Sam 2
News Surging San Antonio Spurs top Cleveland Cavaliers (Apr '12) Apr '12 Split Lickety 1
News Basketball Wives LA: TV Review (Aug '11) Oct '11 Sammy 25
News Jackson, Bobcats rally past Warriors 121-113 in OT (Jan '11) Jan '11 matt_jackson-vita... 1
News Bobcats 108, Timberwolves 105 (OT): The pattern... (Jan '11) Jan '11 Fan 1
News NBA suspends Bobcats' Jackson for berating ref (Nov '10) Nov '10 B-B Fan 1
News Timberwolves show their age in late meltdown ag... (Nov '10) Nov '10 DD Austin 13
More from around the web