NCAA's new three-point line has littl...

NCAA's new three-point line has little effect

There are 4 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Jan 24, 2009, titled NCAA's new three-point line has little effect. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

The first sign that 12 inches would not derail Notre Dame's season came in August on a basketball court in Limerick, Ireland.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

christian_h

Los Angeles, CA

#1 Jan 24, 2009
I am not sure the statistics "three-point percentage across D 1" and "three-pointers attempted across D 1" are very useful.

I would expect the effect of the new line to be very minor in games between teams of similar quality and athleticism (with the added distance more or less canceled out by the additional defensive spacing issues making for easier shots); on the other hand, I would expect a much larger impact on games between power-house major conference programs and smaller schools (who often relied on three-point shooting to pull an upset here and there).

It would be interesting, therefore, to see a breakdown of the three-point statistics.
rebmeMasneMoNsIo tnaSnoR

United States

#2 Jan 25, 2009
I didn't even notice a difference.
Common Sense

Harlingen, TX

#3 Feb 3, 2009
If anything, defenses will just stay in the paint even more. Making a 3 pointer harder is it's own defense. What's the point of going out to defend a 3 pointer when it's harder to make? Might as well guard against the drive instead.

And why the need to open up the lane? It's almost like they don't want defense to be played. If so, just make each game a free throw shooting contest, it would accomplish the same purpose. What next, banning blocks, steals and defensive rebounds? Might as well.
stereotype me

Alsip, IL

#4 Feb 3, 2009
the heck with the NAACP! They're a bunch of racists!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Stephen Curry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Kurtenbach: Bob Myers doesn't want you to know ... Sep '17 LetsPhartts 2
Stephen Curry - nude! (Mar '13) May '17 Chase 6
News Best Bay Area-themed Bay to Breakers costumes o... (May '17) May '17 Advertiser phart 2
News Cavaliers dump Warriors to force Game 7 (Jun '16) Jun '16 Go Blue Forever 5
News Igoudala In NBA Finals Spotlight As Warriors Lo... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Browns Fan 3
News Ayesha Curry latest sports spouse to lash out o... (Jun '16) Jun '16 Lake Erie Lady 2
News Warriors Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Andre Ig... (Jun '16) Jun '16 TheRobinett 5
More from around the web