PAINTER: Lakers happy to fly under radar of Miami's heat

Full story: LA Daily News

The Lakers' Kobe Bryant shoots the ball over Houston's Shane Battier during the final minutes of the first half.
Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Nov 2, 2010
Raymond

UK

#1 Oct 27, 2010
"but if you can't win in Boston, the Heat won't be raising banners in Miami.". Homecourt advantage?
NDuggal

Toronto, Canada

#4 Oct 27, 2010
wow one game into the season and this guy thinks lakers are king!!! the almost lost to the rockets who arnt even a playoff contention team. Whoever hired you for this job needs to get fired
Mark

Toronto, Canada

#5 Oct 27, 2010
Question. If the Heat are bad for losing to Boston on opening night then the fact that LA was 2-2 in Boston last year and won the championship might tell you its a tough place to play. LA almost lost at home to Houston. I guess they aren't contenders anymore either.

You also might remember the Cavs lost to Boston last year on opening night and then to Toronto the next day. Everyone jumped off the bandwagon pretty quickly only to jump back on as they finished with the best record in the league. You article is a joke. If they are so irrelevant then why can't you stop talking about them. The lakers open with a nice win and a great ring ceremony and you still open with the Heat. You complain about the overhyping but then add to it in the next sentence. Admitt it. You are more intereted in the Heat too. So stop complaining. Your the guy that scoffs at the rich guy in the Ferrari and cracks comments that he must be insecure or have a small unit but you actually wish you were him. The Miami Heat are that rich guy in the Ferrari and you are just envious.
Chris

Birmingham, AL

#6 Oct 27, 2010
I'm an avid supporter of the Lakers, but reading this column only supports the sentiments of a lot of people on the outside looking in at Lakers fans. Very short-sighted, biased, myopic observation of the Heat. LeBron hasn't crowned himself King. The team brought out their lone championship trophy as motivation vs. arrogance. Disappointed in this article to say the least.
Steve

Madison, WI

#7 Oct 27, 2010
This column just smacks of arrogance. Granted, LA and Kobe have a right to be offended that they took the offseason back seat to Lebron and the Heat. But the way to answer excessive ego is not through more self-inflation and posturing. Sorry to say that the Lakers won't have a chance to answer the Heat hype until they face them head-to-head -- that is, if the Heat haven't already made a decline into 2010 Dallas Cowboys abjection on their own by that time. Not to mention the question of how LA does against the upsized Celtics and other contenders this year. That championship a few months ago was hardly a blowout.
Kyle

Norman, OK

#8 Oct 27, 2010
I feel like you could have said what you were trying to say here without using such divisive language. The presentation was homer-ific. The Lakers are good, agreed. Miami stumbled out of the gate, agreed.

But the fact the I agree with your two main premises and recoiled at numerous lines and factual errors in the article is telling.
Rey

El Paso, TX

#9 Oct 27, 2010
Bottom line here is the celtics are the defending east champs and until someone knocks them off they will remain the champs of the east.The lakers are the two time defending NBA champs until someone beats them.If you win by 1 or if you win by 30 it doesnt matter just as long as you win.Miami needs to back up all the hype they put on them selves this off season.
Jose

Chesterfield, MO

#10 Oct 27, 2010
This is probably the most arrogant article I have ever read. There is no shame in loosing the first game togehter against the best defensive team in the NBA and one of top two teams for the past 3 years.

You'll be singing a different tune when your precious Lakers don't even make the finals.
Ken Keniff

United States

#11 Oct 27, 2010
Luke Walton has more rings than Lebron James ... haha...ahhhh.....hahaha
Yogi

Irvine, CA

#12 Oct 27, 2010
NDuggal wrote:
wow one game into the season and this guy thinks lakers are king!!! the almost lost to the rockets who arnt even a playoff contention team. Whoever hired you for this job needs to get fired
Aren't even a playoff contending team? Did you see the big Chinese guy out there last night? With Yao (and now Trevor Ariza), the Rockets are certainly playoff contenders.
Rey

El Paso, TX

#13 Oct 27, 2010
Last year the media gave all the attention to boston and all the lakers did was repeat.This year it's miami, keep doing the laker's and the laker fans a favor it will help us to a 3 peat. GO LAKERS!
Sureno

La Puente, CA

#14 Oct 27, 2010
LAKERS RULE!!!!!. They WILL prove it X-Mas day and then in the FINALS!!!!hehehe
LOVE

West Hills, CA

#15 Oct 27, 2010
Yogi wrote:
<quoted text>
Aren't even a playoff contending team? Did you see the big Chinese guy out there last night? With Yao (and now Trevor Ariza), the Rockets are certainly playoff contenders.
I agree...they played some good ball last night too. Mr Ming looked a lil fatigued, but at 7'6, he can still dunk in the paint with the best of'em!

Talking about the Celtics being number one in the east, don't forget they lost to the Clippers once last season too!

Speaking of which, going to the opening game tonight again Portland. Is Camby still on their roster? Go Clips!
Sammy

Brampton, Canada

#16 Oct 31, 2010
Mark wrote:
Question. If the Heat are bad for losing to Boston on opening night then the fact that LA was 2-2 in Boston last year and won the championship might tell you its a tough place to play. LA almost lost at home to Houston. I guess they aren't contenders anymore either.
You also might remember the Cavs lost to Boston last year on opening night and then to Toronto the next day. Everyone jumped off the bandwagon pretty quickly only to jump back on as they finished with the best record in the league. You article is a joke. If they are so irrelevant then why can't you stop talking about them. The lakers open with a nice win and a great ring ceremony and you still open with the Heat. You complain about the overhyping but then add to it in the next sentence. Admitt it. You are more intereted in the Heat too. So stop complaining. Your the guy that scoffs at the rich guy in the Ferrari and cracks comments that he must be insecure or have a small unit but you actually wish you were him. The Miami Heat are that rich guy in the Ferrari and you are just envious.
really
Lakers4Life

Baldwin Park, CA

#17 Nov 2, 2010
Why is Andrew Bynum afraid of Ronny Turiaf's shadow?

http://hoopstopia.com/...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Shane Battier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Will there be a challenge for the Heat in NBA p... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Shiftie 2
Another MVP for LeBron seems likely (Apr '13) Apr '13 Ginobili 1
Heat in elite company after 20th straight victory (Mar '13) Mar '13 nawf 3
Wade, James lead Heat to record 15th straight win (Mar '13) Mar '13 Ginobili 2
Heat top Grizzlies 98-91 for 13th straight win (Mar '13) Mar '13 ShootingGuardStevan 6
Dwyane Wade announces bizarre shoe deal (Oct '12) Oct '12 Sheik Yerbouti 5
Ask Ira: Is there room for another big man in H... (Sep '12) Sep '12 Ginobili 3
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Shane Battier People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••