Five questions the Minnesota Timberwolves need to answer after ...

Full story: TwinCities.com

The all-star break is over, and Timberwolves star center Al Jefferson is gone for the season because of a torn knee ligament.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
fracas

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Maybe, No, No, No, and Yes

McHale is a pretty good coach, or at least the players have responded to his coaching. I think next years coaching job is McHale's, if he wants it. I suppose there is a chance that he gets "booted"back upstairs, but I think Taylor has finally decided that Mac is not the GM of the future.

Love measured 6'8 1/2 at the combine last year. He survives on wiles, not size or strength. He gets overmatched against some power forwards. He is going to struggle even more against the Yao's and Camby's of the world.

Not here, maybe somewhere else. It would seem logical to trade Miller to some contender that needs a shooter, but then logic isn't always the modus operandi in the NBA. I think the woofies would like to move Miller, regardless of what they say publicly.

Telfair is a good shooter by Saturday-morning-at-the-gym-wi th-the-guys standards, but a poor shooter by NBA standards. He is also one of the smaller points in the league. Then you add in the fact that he isn't the fastest, or quickest, guy around and you have a defensive liability as well. Fortunately for us, this is a pretty deep year for decent PGs in the draft. Here's to hoping that we pick the right one.

The only reason that Mac played McCants recently was to showcase him for someone looking for an underachiever who won't play defense. I doubt anyone wants him much, but in the right situation (say if Kobe would perhaps take him under his wing) I think he could thrive. How do you get through to this guy? Yelling at him doesn't work. Taking away playing time doesn't work. I think he is gone if Mac gets something useful for him, otherwise McCants leaves in free agency at the end of the year when his contract expires.

The unsolicited sixth question could have been "Will the Timberwolves be able to win the five more games that they need to reach last years total of 22?". That is a really tough call as the over/under on that one would be pretty well split. My guess is that they will as non-playoff teams start to tank games once we get to mid-March (every team has a Mark Madsen, or two, after all).
mark t

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

The big question mark is Love. This is a great opportunity for him to step up and prove he deserved to be picked so high. We will all know in the next two months. By now we all know the Miller slump is real and its no wonder Memphis let him go. As for Telfair and McCants they both are worthless. No question about their sorry play. McHale can coach but at his age and his aversion to travel he won't be back. Taylor must know by now he needs to move in a different direction. Finally, if Love establishes himself as a legitimade player next year could be promising, if we land a point guard.
Tony Rozycki

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Now that Big Al is apparently out for the season, the Wolves won't have to worry about losing their
underdog status & "charm" for awhile. There may still be some untapped potential on the bench or at least inside the Target Center. Perhaps Kevin McHale, Jim Peterson & Kevin Lynch could contribute some quality minutes! They could be used to hold a lead with ten minutes to go at the end of the fourth quarter!
Next year

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

The Wolves need to draft Thabeet the 7'3 center out of Uconn. They make the playoff's with him and are a true point guard away from starting to contend. Do they bring in Andre Miller of Jason Kidd? Do they go after a serviceable center like Adonal Foyle or Jamal Magloire? I hope the Wolves draft two big men starting with Thabeet. Sign A. Miller. Carney and Foyle. Let McCants, Ollie,Collins and Booth go. The starting five would be Jefferson, Thabeet, Love in the front court with A. Miller and Foye in the back court. The bench is solid with M.Miller, Carney, Brewer, Telfair, C. Smith, Foyle, Cardinal and another point or big man project from Europe or college. Playoffs!
Hey Next year

Anoka, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Love is going to play SF? I doubt it. That is why it was such a good draft by McFail. He plays nothing but PF. And that just happens to be the same position our "franchise player" plays. Nether of them can defend, so they can't play together. K. Love will be 6th man if this is a winning team.
This and that

Minneapolis, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Look, we should have kept OJ Mayo. Sure Kevin Love has turned into an ok player --- but now we need scoring because Big Al is gone. OJ Mayo would have given us that. This team already had issues with its bench. Now it has issues with its starters and the bench. There aren't any questions to answer. The season is over. Let's go Twins!
Fan

Mississauga, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine...

Wolves lose Collins, Cardinal, Booth, McCants, Smith

Wolves might get Nash, VC, Pryzbilla, Frye.

Get a Point or a scoring Wing and a defensive big. This plausible???
fracas

Tucson, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Fan wrote:
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/t radeMachine?tradeId=cwe7qh
Wolves lose Collins, Cardinal, Booth, McCants, Smith
Wolves might get Nash, VC, Pryzbilla, Frye.
Get a Point or a scoring Wing and a defensive big. This plausible???
No, this is not plausible. The Nets are not going to give up Vince Carter for the load of crap that you have them taking. Just because you can get the salaries to match up doesn't make it a viable trade.
Tiffany

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

since al is out for the season,they need to play rashad more
Grant

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

This and that wrote:
Look, we should have kept OJ Mayo. Sure Kevin Love has turned into an ok player --- but now we need scoring because Big Al is gone. OJ Mayo would have given us that. This team already had issues with its bench. Now it has issues with its starters and the bench. There aren't any questions to answer. The season is over. Let's go Twins!
I agree that we should have kept OJ Mayo just to have the Star Power. But lets face it, the season was over in November when we started off terrible. Anyone who thought we had a chance to make the playoffs was dreaming, this team has a long way to go, but maybe the offseason can bring in a free agent and another top 5 draft pick. Go Twins indeed!
Tiffany

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

yeah,they went the stupid way and traded oj mayo,that was their big mistake,next to not playing rashad
Jim Dogg

Duluth, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

McCants is a turd, just fire him.
Tiffany

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

nah,they should just play him
Kevin

Eden Valley, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

Kevin Love isn't a center, but if he finishes out playing there big deal- it's only going to make him a better rebounder than he already is going up against a 7 footer every game. For those people that wish we had oj mayo you must love rashad mccants if youve ever watched mayo on a regular basis they are identical, neither plays defense and averaging 20ppg is nice but not when you give up 35 to the guy your guarding. Say what you want but i'll take take 9 rebs in 23 minutes from Love who oh by the way leads the NBA in offensive rebounding. We really can't go wrong in the draft, the only 2 starting spots that are locked up are Jeff at the 4 or 5 depending what they do in the draft and Foye at the 2.
Tiffany

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

Judged:

kevin love isnt there answer
Will Rogers

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

I've never seen quite the disaster in any sport then the Wolves....Well other then the Vikings!
Tony Rozycki

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

Three word solution:

Dirk, LeBron & Yao
Tiffany

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 18, 2009

dirk is better fitted wit the mavs,yao is never leaving the rockets,and lebron aint never leaving the cavs,unless you pay him 1oo million to leave them
johnny

Bay Shore, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

THE NEW YORK KNICKS. might just do that tiffany. they are getting rid of everybody with big contracts.and they now have the money to out bid everybody.
Tiffany

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2009

I dont want dirk here in nyc,hes better wit the mavs,this is a list of NO's we dont want:

NO lebron
NO dirk
NO chris bosh
NO carmelo

here are the YES's i'll like to have in nyc:
YES dwayne wade
YES allen iverson

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of24
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sebastian Telfair Discussions

Search the Sebastian Telfair Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Report: Heat express interest in Sebastian Telfair (Aug '13) Dec '13 johnny 2
Suns players supportive of decision to name Lin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Doc 1
Phoenix Suns facing big decisions, looking for ... (Jun '12) Jun '12 CarverSucks 1
More bad lottery luck for Minnesota Timberwolve... (May '11) May '11 Jonboy 31
Lotto fever: Heat is on Timberwolves to reverse... (May '11) May '11 Whatever 19
Sebastian Telfair's brother, Ethan Telfair, bus... (May '11) May '11 Bklady 1
Kevin Love hoping to stay with Timberwolves, Ra... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Gardy 17
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••