Kevin Love scores two points in homec...

Kevin Love scores two points in homecoming, Timberwolves lose a...

There are 8 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 8, 2008, titled Kevin Love scores two points in homecoming, Timberwolves lose a.... In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Maybe Randy Wittman should get mad more often. One night after the Timberwolves coach angrily questioned his players' commitment to defense, they were a different team for nearly 47 1/2 minutes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Jerry

Saint Paul, MN

#1 Nov 8, 2008
It's a little unerving to see Love having such a difficult time rebounding and getting close shots in on big, lanky, athletic bigs like Aldridge, Batum, and Frye. I realize that this is only his sixth official game and like other rookie big men and point guards it may not be the smoothest transition between the college and pros, but he definitely needs some better conditioning. He played a pretty good game against Sacramento and you could tell from tonight's game that he didn't have all of his stamina back. If we continue to lose you can bet on the Wolves trading Mike Miller and possibly McCants, if we can get some value. As you've heard McFail and Failberg say in the past, Miller was the key in the Mayo trade. If we don't mind trading within our own division, we could possibly get Jerryd Bayless, Nic Batum, and an expiring contract in Raef Lafrentz. I've read in various news articles that the Blazers are desperate for veterans. I'd like to see us get an expiring contract, a young, athletic, two or three that can shoot and play defense, and has length, and / or a supremely athletic lead guard, and possibly a younger four or five that can rebound, play solid defense and has quickness. Miller has quite a bit of value for playoff teams and if we play it right we could possibly get some real value out of him. Sorry Mike, we're just not at the level of play where your full repetoire could be fully utilized. I think McFail was actually thinking this time.
diehard Wolves fan

Seoul, Korea

#2 Nov 9, 2008
Love is still only a rookie, so cut him some slack. He's probably the best rookie the Wolves have had in a long while. Once he settles into his role (that is, if Randy Wittless can ever figure out a rotation), Love will steadily improve to become a star in his own right. He will definitely contend for 2009 ROY along with Greg Oden, Derrick Rose, and Mike Beasley.

While many people hated McFail for his draft-night Love-Mayo swap (I admit, at the time I disliked the trade too), Love has definitely worked hard and really gained my respect and appreciation. For once in his life McFail may have finally made a common sense decision. While Mayo would have solved all our problems at the PG position, he would likely have turned out to be an unhappy, selfish Starbury type of player. Love seems like a far better fit for the team.
the hard truth

Northome, MN

#3 Nov 9, 2008
What I saw last night did not give me hope. Jefferson is beginning to look like a black hole rhythm stopper -- get him the ball and stand still until he is done backing and butting toward the basket for what will very likey be a successful, soft shot. Love is either too short, too out of shape, or too raw in the league to hold his own. Let's hope it's the third option. Foye-- well, nice try. Gomes, etc., viable spare parts. Telfair -- keep your fingers crossed, but don't do more than that. McCants? Watch Brandon Roy and you see what McCants is supposed to be but never will. By the way, speaking of Brandon Roy -- the Foye Roy trade rivals the drafting of Ndudi Ebi as McHale's greatest failure. Dwayne Casey must be gloating like a son of a gun about that one. Wittman? B- coach by all indications. This team is going to have to really transform something internally to keep from being one more group of dead men walking.
Puddle of wet

Libertyville, IL

#4 Nov 9, 2008
Yes these guys are very young and will make mistakes. Look at the bright side,when they get a few years under their belts they will be free agents.
Rizzo

United States

#5 Nov 9, 2008
Good job, Wittman. You got your team to play defense for one game. You're brilliant. What's going to happen when Portland comes to town next weekend?
St Paul Gene

Boise, ID

#6 Nov 9, 2008
Love looked absolutely gassed out on the floor. He appears to be just what the Wolves didn't need, a slow footed white guy who can't jump a lick. Watching Brandon Roy's play only makes the continual saga of draft and trade failures by McFail all the more painful. I did hear that McFail was secretly working out with Ndudi Ebi who he plans to activate in a couple weeks. That should really solidify the Wolves play.
Its going to be another very long year watching this pathetic group of failures.
steve

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Nov 9, 2008
Hey diehard why would you think that Mayo would have been another starbury type hes never had any indication that hes anything but a team player. I think the Wolves realy blew it on this one, Mayo is a superstar in the making he had another 30 point game tonight along with 10 rebounds a few assists and steals, I do think Love is a good player but hes no Mayo.
d mcclay

Oklahoma City, OK

#8 Nov 9, 2008
with the wolves skillfulness when making draft day moves, love should end up rookie of the year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sebastian Telfair Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Can Sebastian Telfair salvage his career in Cle... (Apr '10) Aug '14 johnny 44
News The Oklahoma City Thunder have heard it all before (Aug '14) Aug '14 johnny 2
News Report: Heat express interest in Sebastian Telfair (Aug '13) Dec '13 johnny 2
News Suns players supportive of decision to name Lin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Doc 1
News Phoenix Suns facing big decisions, looking for ... (Jun '12) Jun '12 CarverSucks 1
News More bad lottery luck for Minnesota Timberwolve... (May '11) May '11 Jonboy 31
News Lotto fever: Heat is on Timberwolves to reverse... (May '11) May '11 Whatever 19
More from around the web