David Kahn defends Wolves' roster moves

David Kahn defends Wolves' roster moves

There are 33 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Nov 17, 2009, titled David Kahn defends Wolves' roster moves. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

The Timberwolves' 10-game losing streak has not led to second thoughts from team president of basketball operations David Kahn about the possibility that he made too many offseason deals for salary cap reasons.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Ann

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Nov 17, 2009
If he support Palin or Pawlenty, I love him.
Sid Van Damme

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Nov 17, 2009
THIS GUY IS CLUELESS. The Wolves are 3 years from the playoffs. Does he expect people to wait that long?
Wisconsin Vikings Fan

River Falls, WI

#3 Nov 18, 2009
Sid Van Damme wrote:
THIS GUY IS CLUELESS. The Wolves are 3 years from the playoffs. Does he expect people to wait that long?
This guy actually has a long range plan, which is much better than the previous leadership with this team. They will have a top 5 pick again next year, along with another possible other two first round picks this next year. And they are sitting great on the salary cap to be able to add good free agents in the coming up years.
Sorry to you that he can't turn around the last numerous years of crap in one season.
cluelessOFC

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Nov 18, 2009
The roster moves are not the issue its the fact they keep running an offense that they have no personnel for. The triangle is fine if you have Micheal Jorden or Kobe Bryant on your team right? I dont see those players coming here anytime soon.

Plus I wish Rambis would stop treating these games as "practice." Im trying to show patience but dam this team is bad and unwatchable as it is atm. Im trying to hang in there really I am.
melvin

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Nov 18, 2009
Kahn deserves time to turn it around. Mchale's tenure was so bad for so long you just can't expect instant results. the danger is, that will become an excuse for Kahn. that said, i think he should trade al jefferson.
dude

United States

#6 Nov 18, 2009
trade for some Ruro player - who wont be here for 2-3 years
Mad Dog Gus

Minneapolis, MN

#7 Nov 18, 2009
Basketball is a sport that where the more talented team usually wins. There's no goalie, or pitcher, or QB that can get lucky (or hot)...the bigger, faster, and more talented team usually wins in basketball.

If there is an NBA team that is capable of losing the rest of the games in a season, its the Wolves.....1-81....WOW! They might start drawing a crowd just to witness it!
The hard truth

Los Angeles, CA

#8 Nov 18, 2009
The more troubling issue is how we can ever build a team when no one wants to come here or stay here. I'm currently living in Portland for a few months, and I get to watch a team that is fun and a fan base that is excited. You couldn't get me to drive down into that dark, dreary hell of the Target Center environs to watch a Timberwolves game if you gave me a ticket, which people have tried to do. Dreary team, dreary location, dreary November, dreary future. And you think free agents are going to be lining up to come here, or that players who are free to leave are going to stay here? I know this is going real "big picture," but the problem is that downtown Minneapolis has killed itself over the years by trying to build around crummy sports facilities rather than trying to build a downtown with decent transit, enjoyable parks, affordable parking, and a lively cultural scene, then putting sports facilities nearby. We could have used the riverfront; we could have made the mall a purely walking environment; we could have used the old Powers site to make an urban park, but the big thinkers were too short sighted and greedy. Now we've got a downtown that is completely undesirable once the day's businesses shut down, and we expect people to come down to the lumbering behemoths of our sports facilities and consider it fun. Ain't gonna happen, and players worth their salt ain't gonna come or stay. Get used to it.
CzarInMpls

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Nov 18, 2009
How can they compete without a new stadium? Minnesota taxpayers need to step up to the table!
Free agency

United States

#10 Nov 18, 2009
Can somebody please tell me who the Wolves could possibly be targeting with their abundance of cap space next year. I keep hearing how the Wolves are positioning themselves for a run at some high quality free agents. I have seen the list and not counting the top 4 or 5, whom the Wolves have no chance at, the list is not all that compelling. In watching this team so far this season I would say their biggest need is at shooting guard and small forward, the Wolves are horrible at hitting open shots, one name I think makes sense is Joe Johnson the Wolves could offer him a boat load of money he might consider moving to Sota! The other biggest need is for a shot blocking center, one name comes to mind, impending lottery pick Cole Aldrich. I would love to hear what others are thinking because I'm getting tired of hearing about all of the cap space the team is clearing and for what????
Wolves fan in NY

New York, NY

#11 Nov 18, 2009
Wisconsin Vikings Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
This guy actually has a long range plan, which is much better than the previous leadership with this team. They will have a top 5 pick again next year, along with another possible other two first round picks this next year. And they are sitting great on the salary cap to be able to add good free agents in the coming up years.
Sorry to you that he can't turn around the last numerous years of crap in one season.
Hopefully they are able to select three more point guards again next year with those picks
Minneapolis

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Nov 18, 2009
Hey Czar have you ever been to Minneapolis? Its not the city's fault the Wolves haven't been good the last few years. Do you think any NBA players care about mass transit(even though Minneapolis has a great system)or parks (even though Minneapolis has more bike trails and parks than any other city in the country including Portland) and as for culture... you've never been in downtown Minneapolis have you. There is every style of cuisine and every kind of live music every night plus the skyway system is available so you don't have to walk outside. Free agents will come here just to play for Rambis not to mention the wad of cash the Wolves will have to give someone. If the Wolves get lucky in the draft and land Aldrich they are instantly much better without a major free agent. If not get Bosh, he will play here and he's good enough to get the Wolves to the playoffs. I like what I see downtown and I like the Wolves future despite the losing streak.
No Kahn Do

Duluth, MN

#13 Nov 18, 2009
Lets stop comparing with the previous regime - anything looks better when that is done. This guy is an egotistical jerk - listen to him in an interview - he's impossible to like. Remember, he was like Taylor's 10th choice for the position after everyone else turned him down. Kahn has zero clue what he's doing, short term or long term - the Wolves have reverted to the expansion losers they were for so many years and Kahn isn't the guy who going to fix anything.

Since: Jan 09

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Nov 18, 2009
Kahn had to blow things up in order to begin the rebuilding process, much like Chicago did 5-6 years ago. Once Kevin Love returns, they'll be more competitive. Wisconsin Vikings Fan has it right - Kahn isn't going to turn things around in one year after McHale trashed the roster and the salary cap for years.
brainless brad childress

Big Lake, MN

#15 Nov 18, 2009
No Kahn Do wrote:
Lets stop comparing with the previous regime - anything looks better when that is done. This guy is an egotistical jerk - listen to him in an interview - he's impossible to like. Remember, he was like Taylor's 10th choice for the position after everyone else turned him down. Kahn has zero clue what he's doing, short term or long term - the Wolves have reverted to the expansion losers they were for so many years and Kahn isn't the guy who going to fix anything.
you hit the nail "SQUARELY" on the head
brainless brad childress

Big Lake, MN

#16 Nov 18, 2009
the CONman fed us the garbage of how they are gonna be a uptempo/fast breaking/running team .... at that point it was easy to see he was full of it and had no clue.... he had traded away all the players that would fit that style of play , kept Jefferson ,Love ,Cardinal ,Pecherov and a very slow moving Wilkins....kept a roster spot for Blount who hasn't ran a day in his life....and to top it off added a very overweight Jawai....ther'e half a roster of guys who can't play that style....NOBODY plays defense which you need to win in the NBA or any sport....roster doesn't have a shooting guard who can actually shoot (Brewer dunking on a break away doesn't count)....drafts a player with a top pick who has no plans on playing here, who also by the way shoots about 30%(fits in with the rest of the guys)and avg's about 8 points where he's playing .... and stop with the have a bad record and get a top draft pick crap .... it's been working for the Clippers real well hasn't it....besides you need someone who has a clue as to what he's doing .... the cluless,arrogant piece of work known as the CONman is severely lacking in that dept
DD Austin

Memphis, TN

#17 Nov 18, 2009
Khan is conning and Rambo seems to be vague at best as to what to do about players or the game. Glen - you need to seriously consider selling the team before it is worth nothing. Sorriest team in any sport - hands down!:(
Sid Van Damme

Saint Paul, MN

#18 Nov 18, 2009
right...he had to "blow it up." Any team that has a stiff like Cory Brewer starting will never go anywhere. They'll be lucky to win 8 games.
Sam

Saint Paul, MN

#19 Nov 18, 2009
No free agent in his right mind would come to Minnesota no matter the money. Thed good players want to win, which is not going to happen here.
CalmDown

Minneapolis, MN

#20 Nov 18, 2009
brainless brad childress wrote:
the CONman fed us the garbage of how they are gonna be a uptempo/fast breaking/running team .... at that point it was easy to see he was full of it and had no clue.... he had traded away all the players that would fit that style of play , kept Jefferson ,Love ,Cardinal ,Pecherov and a very slow moving Wilkins....kept a roster spot for Blount who hasn't ran a day in his life....and to top it off added a very overweight Jawai....ther'e half a roster of guys who can't play that style....NOBODY plays defense which you need to win in the NBA or any sport....roster doesn't have a shooting guard who can actually shoot (Brewer dunking on a break away doesn't count)....drafts a player with a top pick who has no plans on playing here, who also by the way shoots about 30%(fits in with the rest of the guys)and avg's about 8 points where he's playing .... and stop with the have a bad record and get a top draft pick crap .... it's been working for the Clippers real well hasn't it....besides you need someone who has a clue as to what he's doing .... the cluless,arrogant piece of work known as the CONman is severely lacking in that dept
Calm down Spaz, it's only been 11 games. It's going to take a few years to rebuild a team that McHale destroyed with horrible contract extentions, bad free agent decisions and poor draft choices. Those decisions were so bad that in 10 years he couldn't even surround Kevin Garnett with enough talent to ever to get past the 3rd round of the playoffs. Do you really think that type of disaster gets fixed overnight in 11 games? If you do then you are obviously the biggest clueless wonder and NBA fan ever.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sebastian Telfair Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Can Sebastian Telfair salvage his career in Cle... (Apr '10) Aug '14 johnny 44
News The Oklahoma City Thunder have heard it all before (Aug '14) Aug '14 johnny 2
News Report: Heat express interest in Sebastian Telfair (Aug '13) Dec '13 johnny 2
News Suns players supportive of decision to name Lin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Doc 1
News Phoenix Suns facing big decisions, looking for ... (Jun '12) Jun '12 CarverSucks 1
News More bad lottery luck for Minnesota Timberwolve... (May '11) May '11 Jonboy 31
News Lotto fever: Heat is on Timberwolves to reverse... (May '11) May '11 Whatever 19
More from around the web