3 top picks, but slim pickings for Mi...

3 top picks, but slim pickings for Minnesota Timberwolves

There are 43 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 28, 2009, titled 3 top picks, but slim pickings for Minnesota Timberwolves. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota will have three first-round picks in this summer's NBA draft, generally considered short on talent compared to the past two years.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
joe

Portland, OR

#1 Mar 28, 2009
thabeet
Eric

Saint Paul, MN

#2 Mar 29, 2009
basketball sucks! 90% idiots that don't know how to become a productive person in this world.(whole NBA) They give the 10% a bad name. Timberwolves sould just pack up and leave MN nobody goes to their games anyways.
kenny

Auburn, WA

#3 Mar 29, 2009
Eric wrote:
basketball sucks! 90% idiots that don't know how to become a productive person in this world.(whole NBA) They give the 10% a bad name. Timberwolves sould just pack up and leave MN nobody goes to their games anyways.
well, lets see...the nba provides over 65,000 US families, in the US and Worldwide...players like lebron james, dwayne wade, chris bosh, steve nash, and chris paul have each given back a minimum of $3 million dollars EACH since they have joined the NBA...so my question to you is...

are you more productive than these so called "idiots"?
Wisconsin Vikes Fan

River Falls, WI

#4 Mar 29, 2009
Rubio!!!!
Bjack

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Mar 29, 2009
I wouldn't care if we had Love, Al, KG and Tim Duncan - you still take Griffin. Hands down the best player available.
jweb

Bend, OR

#6 Mar 29, 2009
If Rubio enters the draft and the wolves don't get him it would be a disaster. I've been a timberwolf fan since the beginning, but if you take griffin and don't trade for Rubio then it's really over.

Beasley was a can't miss PF in last years draft, and he was not a huge impact. In college big men like griffen/beasley shine because they play against no real competition in college.

Rubio has played in europe professionally, been to the olympics and put on a show when his team played the US. T-wolves, please Rubio.
William

Peoria, AZ

#7 Mar 29, 2009
and they will still suck. There is no chance this team wins the lottery, they never did in their 11 lottery choices. This is a doomed franchise ran by a bumbling moron of an owner.
Doc T

Apopka, FL

#8 Mar 29, 2009
If the T-Wolves have the opportunity they really must take Griffin. Use him with KLove and Al or trade one for other team needs, but at teh top of the draft order it's usually about taking the best player period. Ihope they pass on Thabeet. He's clearly over-rated and would be a bust in the NBA. T-Wolves have had enough of those thank you very much.
fracas

Sioux Falls, SD

#9 Mar 29, 2009
The wolves have so many needs that they should take the best player on their board, regardless of position, with their initial pick. If they somehow lucked into the one slot, then they take Griffin if he is number one on their board. They can always manufacture a trade of Griffin, of Love, after the fact. It is much more likely that the wolves will pick somewhere around 5th or 6th. I think the wolves still need to be true to their board and take a wing player, like DeRozan, rather than reach for a point guard, if the wing player is ranked higher. Reaching for "bigs" got us players such as Paul Grant and Felton Spencer in the past. Even if we don't get a PG with our initial pick there are enough quality PG's this year that a likely upgrade over Telfair would be available with the pick we obtained from Miami.

I think you can almost bet that at least one of the later first, or second round, picks will be dealt. The wolves are not going to want to have four, and perhaps five (depending on whether we get the Utah pick this year), rookies on the roster next year. I think two of these picks are packaged in an effort to move up, or else at least one pick is dealt for a pick next year.

The wolves are not going to be able to entice any free agents to sign without grossly overpaying them. Why would they sign here? The beautiful weather? The enticing tax climate? Our championship history? The wolves are going to have to do this the hard way, by building from the draft, and it is going to take time. Find an impact player in the draft, regardless of position, and they are one year closer. Reach for a guy just because it is a position of need, and they are one year further away.
sooperthanksfora sking

Bemidji, MN

#10 Mar 29, 2009
If the Wolves could get Thabeet with their first pick, Turner of Ohio State with their second pick, and the best player available with their third pick I think this would be a great draft for the team. Of course that chamges if they get the first pick. I would absolutely pick Griffin. I like Big Al, but IMO he would be a great second option on a contender, but Griffin could be a great first option on a contender.
Swings12

Bogotá, Colombia

#11 Mar 29, 2009
It would be nice if we could get a break for once. Something like what happened for Miami last draft. Somehow get a franchise pg to fall in their laps in the 2nd round. I know. It could never happen, but a man can dream, can't he?

Since: Jan 09

USA

#12 Mar 29, 2009
The NBA draft is fixed and no way will the T-WOLVES get anywhere near the top 3. They will draft 7, sterns doesn't care about the wolves and minn. his concern is the Knicks and getting the big traditional franchises back to the top. Knicks will win the lottery.
d mcclay

Oklahoma City, OK

#13 Mar 29, 2009
best case...
wolves get#1 and take griffin.
clippers get#2, trade to wolves who take robio.
wolves would have to send jefferson to clippers and take kamen and change. would also have to send clippers foye or gomes or boston first or utah first.
send them two of above with jefferson and not owe clippers a future pick would be nice.
would be great to sign free agent ron artest. seems to now have his head on straight.

c kamen, griffin, love, madsen
pf griffin, love, smith, gomes
sf rookie, brewer, miller, gomes, artest
sg artest, foye, miller, rookie
pg robio, telfair, brown, foye, rookie

would be nice if brewer could get some offense.
well I can drean cann't I.
SRS in AZ

United States

#14 Mar 29, 2009
The Wolves are in better position this year because Kevin is not in charge of the draft anymore.
Just Their Luck

Duluth, MN

#15 Mar 29, 2009
Great ..........T'Wolves are already hexed agian
even if they get the top pick. No real superstar
here folks.

Trade ALL the first picks this year for a real
superstar!
fracas

Sioux Falls, SD

#16 Mar 30, 2009
just their luck,

So, if I understand you, we should trade all of our first round picks this year for a superstar because there is not enough talent in this years draft to make keeping those picks worthwhile. My question is, don't you think other teams realize this as well, and if so, why would they want to make this trade? I like your idea, but your logic kind of falls under the "I'll give you three nickels for that quarter".
Allen of Newburg

Decorah, IA

#17 Mar 30, 2009
Maybe we could trade our three first rounders and Kevin for a second round pick next year and be way ahead.
Tiffany

New York, NY

#18 Mar 30, 2009
good got damn they suck
john telfair

Colts Neck, NJ

#19 Mar 30, 2009
nice game sebastian telfair had agaisnt the new jersey nets, thats ur team right tiffany. i hope u dont get me ffor saying that. lmao, lol. smile
coco

Atlanta, GA

#20 Mar 31, 2009
Is Shelden Williams in the future for this team or is he drawing a paycheck?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sebastian Telfair Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Can Sebastian Telfair salvage his career in Cle... (Apr '10) Aug '14 johnny 44
News The Oklahoma City Thunder have heard it all before (Aug '14) Aug '14 johnny 2
News Report: Heat express interest in Sebastian Telfair (Aug '13) Dec '13 johnny 2
News Suns players supportive of decision to name Lin... (Jan '13) Jan '13 Doc 1
News Phoenix Suns facing big decisions, looking for ... (Jun '12) Jun '12 CarverSucks 1
News More bad lottery luck for Minnesota Timberwolve... (May '11) May '11 Jonboy 31
News Lotto fever: Heat is on Timberwolves to reverse... (May '11) May '11 Whatever 19
More from around the web