Bob Hunter commentary: Pippen adds more heat to the debate | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

It's normally a good idea to take online polls for what they are, unscientific, marketing-driven schemes designed to drive more traffic to a website.
Comments
1 - 20 of 31 Comments Last updated Jun 2, 2011
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Hope and Mange

Perrysburg, OH

#1 May 29, 2011
Keep in mind that Pippen has squandered ALL of his millions in earnings and is making peanuts doing radio. He is bitter that Jordan is worth hundreds of millions now.

By the way I heard him on the radio the other day. He butchers the English language as much as anyone since Mike Tyson was on the scene. I had to turn it off it was so bad.

Since: Sep 09

Columbus, OH

#2 May 29, 2011
Bob,

There are several reasons why Jordan was a better player than Lebron but I'll start with 6 obvious ones... 6 NBA Championship rings. When "The Chosen One" gets his 4th or 5th ring, we can revisit this discussion with a straight face.

Yep, it would appear (absent a stunning Dallas upset - C'mon Dirk) that Lebron is about to secure that oh-so coveted NBA title that he sold his reputation down the river for at a bargain basement price.

There will be a parade in downtown Miami, and afterwards "The King" will come to realize that his kingdom encompasses Dade County...and that's about it. My hunch is that he has already figured that out and doesn't care.
Stablemind

AOL

#3 May 29, 2011
Let's keep it simple, LeBron has more talent and athletic ability than Jordan because he is a better physical specimen and athlete. Jordan is an accomplished winner. The critics try to compare Jordan & Lebron because Jordan did his damage after his 7th year and this is Lebron's 7th year. The problem is Lebron came out of high school productive and Jordan came out after 3 years of NC coaching. Lebron is way ahead of Jordan's pace. It truly disgusts me that if the "overseers" aka management, puts the players together it is okay (Boston Celtics) but if the players do it, it becomes taboo. I am an all time Jordan fan and can be realistic and I am sick of Cleveland's whining! Get over it!
Stablemind

AOL

#4 May 29, 2011
We also have to note that baby boomers cannot let go of the Jordan image. Baby boomers are so arrogant to take the position that Jordan will always be the greatest. Right now, Kobe is as established as Jordan!
Stablemind

AOL

#5 May 29, 2011
Hope and Mange wrote:
Keep in mind that Pippen has squandered ALL of his millions in earnings and is making peanuts doing radio. He is bitter that Jordan is worth hundreds of millions now.
By the way I heard him on the radio the other day. He butchers the English language as much as anyone since Mike Tyson was on the scene. I had to turn it off it was so bad.
After he squandered the money, Jordan is the person that bailed him out. Why would he turncoat on a person that saved his butt? Just because Pippen is not well-spoken does not mean he cannot have an opinion about a player13 he knows better than any of us. He is a southern Arkansas guy and has some communication issues but that has nothing to do with his assessment!

Since: Sep 09

Columbus, OH

#6 May 29, 2011
Stablemind wrote:
Let's keep it simple, LeBron has more talent and athletic ability than Jordan because he is a better physical specimen and athlete. Jordan is an accomplished winner. The critics try to compare Jordan & Lebron because Jordan did his damage after his 7th year and this is Lebron's 7th year. The problem is Lebron came out of high school productive and Jordan came out after 3 years of NC coaching. Lebron is way ahead of Jordan's pace. It truly disgusts me that if the "overseers" aka management, puts the players together it is okay (Boston Celtics) but if the players do it, it becomes taboo. I am an all time Jordan fan and can be realistic and I am sick of Cleveland's whining! Get over it!
Stablemind,

Excellent points made, and I don't disagree with you on the merits of your argument - especially Lebron being ahead of Jordan at similar points in their career (7th year). But the criticism of Lebron James is not limited to the city of Cleveland. The overwhelming poll numbers that Bob Hunter references are national numbers taken from an ESPN survey. You claim to be realistic in your post, and so I'm sure it is not a new revelation for you that James is wildly unpopular throughout the country. He is booed in every arena - except US Air Arena in Miami.

Boston's "Big 3" doesn't win a lot of popularity contests either. I think sports fans are more smitten with Cinderella's than "All-Star teams" which is why the NY Yankees are forever despised.

James is a great player and that is indisputable. My hunch is that he will win a lot more titles before he's done playing, but he won't regain his popularity again until he leads a group of no-names to a title. That might be the only way he rescues his image.
JDavis

Westerville, OH

#7 May 29, 2011
Scottie Pippen proved his basketball IQ and heart in the final seconds of clutch situations when MJ was playing baseball. HOFer(?), he owes everything he has ever had and or lost to MJ.
Okiebuck

Owasso, OK

#8 May 29, 2011
This whole MJ, LJ argument is laughable but then so is today's NBA. Basketball is a "team" game but in the NBA today it's a "me" game which is why LJ is the best in the game today. The fact is Michael Jeffery Jordon DID make those around him better players and they, like him have the rings to prove it.
Okiebuck

Owasso, OK

#9 May 29, 2011
John in Worthington wrote:
Bob,
There are several reasons why Jordan was a better player than Lebron but I'll start with 6 obvious ones... 6 NBA Championship rings. When "The Chosen One" gets his 4th or 5th ring, we can revisit this discussion with a straight face.
Yep, it would appear (absent a stunning Dallas upset - C'mon Dirk) that Lebron is about to secure that oh-so coveted NBA title that he sold his reputation down the river for at a bargain basement price.
There will be a parade in downtown Miami, and afterwards "The King" will come to realize that his kingdom encompasses Dade County...and that's about it. My hunch is that he has already figured that out and doesn't care.
The Mavs winning would be an upset, but not a stunning one; they have the roster and the game to ice the Heat. Nobody has played better so far during the playoffs then Dirk.

Since: Sep 09

Columbus, OH

#10 May 29, 2011
Okiebuck wrote:
<quoted text>
The Mavs winning would be an upset, but not a stunning one; they have the roster and the game to ice the Heat. Nobody has played better so far during the playoffs then Dirk.
Okiebuck,

Dirk Nowitzki is the sentimental favorite to win an NBA ring. If Dirk doesn't get a ring this go-round, then it may never happen for him. He might be the best player in NBA history - without a ring? And you're right, it wouldn't be a stunning upset and I probably shouldn't have characterized it as such.

Meanwhile, Miami might be sitting on the cusp of a dynasty because I think Pat Reilly will basically add pieces-parts to surround James-Wade-Bosch for the next 5 years or so.

In modern sports, dynasties are only popular among the fans of those dynasties. Lebron isn't going to be appreciated anytime soon.
fact checker

Austin, TX

#11 May 29, 2011
I think comparisons like this are subjective and the basis for sports arguments. The difference in era's is always the problem. Was Babe Ruth better than hank Aaron? Who knows. Johnny Unitas & Bart Starr better than Peyton Manning & Tom Brady? Bradshaw has more rings than any of them. Who knows? and more importantly, Who cares?
modo

Reynoldsburg, OH

#12 May 29, 2011
...and how old is Lebron? What does it say about someone when they are ranked 3 in the world half way through their career. The other two will not be adding anything to their legacy. Lebron has a lot more basketball to play.
Pippen is over rated

Powell, OH

#13 May 29, 2011
It amazes me how the mystique of Scottie Pippen just continues to grow over time. When he was ranked as one of the top 50 players of all time, I couldn't stop laughing. Now he takes a swipe at the guy who made Scottie Pippen. I think the legend continues to grow, especially in Scottie Pippen's own mind.
osbuck

Clermont, FL

#14 May 29, 2011
You rank Lebron third all time, oh my, methinks he has great athletic ability, and today the average athlete has a more athletic build than anyone decades before, which gives them advantages, but to say Lebron James is the third best all time basketball player is ludicrous. Just go to a list of hall of famers, and are you kiddin' me??
osbuck

Clermont, FL

#15 May 29, 2011
Additionally, I think pro basketball is closer to pro wrestling than true basketball. With all of the flopping and the favoritism of the calls by the refs, it really diminishes the game. For instance, watch the playoffs and watch how Miami will be allowed to defend Dirk, but watch how the Mavs won't even be allowed to get close to Lebron and Wade. And remember, it only takes a call or two to swing a close game, it's laughable. What a great game pro basketball could be if it were called evenly. And nobody was ever allowed close to Jordan either!!
cheesehead

Columbus, OH

#16 May 29, 2011
Stablemind wrote:
We also have to note that baby boomers cannot let go of the Jordan image. Baby boomers are so arrogant to take the position that Jordan will always be the greatest. Right now, Kobe is as established as Jordan!
You obviously are LeQuitters cousin
Pete

Westerville, OH

#17 May 29, 2011
Through about the first five years of his career, Jordan was viewed as a 'me-first' scoring machine who would never win a championship. With the right players around him and the right coach, he became the greatest to ever play. James is at about the age where Jordan's Bulls started winning. We'll see how he does. But the hate is getting boring.
jgg

Columbus, OH

#18 May 29, 2011
Go Heat!!!!!! Lebron can play wherever he wants its his life and no one else!
abcd

Astoria, NY

#19 May 29, 2011
Wrong. Pippen said "may" be the best player ever. Get your facts straight. "May" is not the same as "is". I "may" run a marathon, be president or go cut the grass.
Paul

Cincinnati, OH

#20 May 29, 2011
Jordan is far superior to James - not even close - LeBron is a physical freak - if he was jordans size he would't be as good - and when he wins 6 titles with a collection of stiffs at center like jordan did - then he can enter the discussion as being better than MJ

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Scottie Pippen Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Scottie Pippen - Best Chicago Bull Ever Aug 8 Go Blue Forever 3
Rodman: Going back to N. Korea with former NBA ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 Dennis the Horses... 1
James, Bosh lead Heat past Bulls, 104-94 (May '13) May '13 Go Blue Forever 1
Why Chicago Bulls Building Around Derrick Rose ... (Apr '13) Apr '13 calvin venson 1
NBA 2K13 - Legends screenshots released (Aug '12) Aug '12 Jeremy P 1
Flashback #26: Bulls Win 72 Games (Apr '12) Apr '12 randall 1
5 Reasons The Chicago Bulls Are Winning Without... (Mar '12) Mar '12 Bullsfan23 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Scottie Pippen People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••