Ohio.com - Cavs take good look at Hudson

Ohio.com - Cavs take good look at Hudson

There are 34 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Aug 3, 2007, titled Ohio.com - Cavs take good look at Hudson. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

It might not be popular to fans dying for action in a summer of blockbuster trades, but the Cavaliers are staying the course and taking a conservative approach.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Arizona Joe

AOL

#21 Aug 5, 2007
These are excellent comments by great Cavs fans.

General Manager Ferry and Coach Brown have been riding LeBron's coattails. Brown is singularly challenged as an offensive coach. Ferry is a preening, pretentious preppy who thinks one-dimensional players like Damon Jones and Donyell Marshall are worth millions when they are just a shade above the NBA minimum. Larry Hughes was injury prone as a St. Louis Billiken, and with three NBA clubs. Yet that was no factor with this front office.

Daniel Gilbert started out as a meddler, then he became a misguided hands-off owner, and he has been a mediocrity of head man. His idea of turning the Cavs introductions into a motor city rap party is an insult to the "Come on Cavs, Gonna Make it Happen," style and the heritage of the Coliseum.

The Cavs got lucky in the playoffs when they played a depleted Wizards team, a very mediocre Nets club, and a Pistons team when Rasheed and Chauncey had a meltdown. In the Western Conference, the Cavs would have gotten beaten up.

LeBron needs help. LeBron needs a star player to take the pressure of him. LeBron needs another guy who can get his own shot at crunch time, and help lead this team. Gooden, the Brazilian, Hughes, etc, they are just fungible, complementary players who do not have enough get this team to critical mass to win a championship.

Gilbert and the others are in danger of squandering the LeBron years, and ruining one of the best things to ever happen to Cleveland sports.
Ryan

Cincinnati, OH

#22 Aug 6, 2007
You people are hilarious. Ferry has made some nice, intelligent decisions. And I don't think any other GM could have done better.

Do you really think that a Gooden (plus someone else of value) for Bibby trade would have made this team better? This team's strength is its size and rebounding. To take away from that strength to get an overpaid point guard would not make this team any better. what has every non-Jordan championship team in the last 15 years had in common? Not a great point guard. But a dominant defensive big man.(Shaq, Wallace, Duncan, Hakeem, Do we have that? No, but we have 3 (Z, Gooden, Varejao) guys that combine to dominant the glass and give good production on both sides of the floor. Add that to the best all around player in the league and you have a chance. I don't want major changes (unless it involves getting rid of Hughes), just some little upgrades.

You all keep saying: They got lucky last year; They weren't close to a championship. Give me a break. They are the best team in the East. They gained experience from the finals with a young team and a young coach. I have my issues with Mike Brown, but he is a defensive guy and that is what it takes to get through the playoffs and guess what? It worked! They have progressed every year. The only upgrade you could make at Head Coach would be to bring in a guy that has won NBA championships before. Unless you want Larry Brown, then forget it. Phil Jackson and Pat Riley are not coming to Cleveland.

I would like them to get an offensive coach, explore any way to get rid of Hughes contract, and sign a decent big man to take some minutes fromt he aging Z and especially Marshall. Otherwise, I think they are fine.

GO CAVS!

“Serenity Now!”

Since: May 07

York Township, OH

#23 Aug 6, 2007
Who are they kidding? The Cavs actually making a move? Yeah, right.

I've never seen a General Manager hibernate as much during an offseason like Ferry has.
Kavel

Brisbane, Australia

#24 Aug 7, 2007
The cavs should have made some trades this summer.
Ferry is quickly going to find himself in Kevin Mchales position where his superstar has a few good runs in the playoff but lacks an adequate roster to go further. Nearly every team in the east has gotten better this summer through trades, free agency or the Draft (Detroit) but the Cavs have the same roster.

Portland has so many point guards at the moment. They just signed Steve Vlake after Jarret Jack started for them last season and was a solid option. He could have been an option if Ferry wasnt as quiet as he was. Other players that Fery could have looked at were Marcus Banks from Phoenix who is stuck behind Nash, and Luke Ridnour, although his defence is questionable for a highly defensive team like the Cavs
Ryan

Cincinnati, OH

#25 Aug 7, 2007
Kevin McHale? In 12 years KG and McHale have not had the success Ferry and LeBron have had in 2 years together. It took them 9 years to even get past the first round, and they only did that once, losing in the Conference Finals. The Cavs did that in Ferry's first year, and in his second they were conference champs. Jeeze. LeBron is better than KG. Ferry is waaaayyyy better than McHale.

Marcus Banks? Steve Blake? Are we really going to be that critical of Ferry for not getting these guys? I'd rather see Hughes, Gibson and Snow keep their minutes than see those guys start on this team. Ridnour? maybe, but I wouldn't give up much for him (in terms of $ or players).

Bibby was the only true upgrade that was a realistic possibility. Ferry tried to get Bibby for Hughes, the Kings said they wanted Gooden instead. Ferry, rightly, said no way, unless they got a big man in return also. What else could he have done?
Ryan

Cincinnati, OH

#26 Aug 7, 2007
Oh, not to mention McHale might be the worst GM ever. Ever hear of the Joe Smith deal? McHale couldn't follow standard NBA policy and it cost his team 3.5 million dollars and 5 draft picks. Also, you can't forget, if he could have evaluated talent better he could have had KG playing with Webber and Ray Allen, all in their prime.
BillD

Chillicothe, OH

#27 Aug 7, 2007
Ryan wrote:
You people are hilarious. Ferry has made some nice, intelligent decisions. And I don't think any other GM could have done better.
Do you really think that a Gooden (plus someone else of value) for Bibby trade would have made this team better? This team's strength is its size and rebounding. To take away from that strength to get an overpaid point guard would not make this team any better. what has every non-Jordan championship team in the last 15 years had in common? Not a great point guard. But a dominant defensive big man.(Shaq, Wallace, Duncan, Hakeem, Do we have that? No, but we have 3 (Z, Gooden, Varejao) guys that combine to dominant the glass and give good production on both sides of the floor. Add that to the best all around player in the league and you have a chance. I don't want major changes (unless it involves getting rid of Hughes), just some little upgrades.
You all keep saying: They got lucky last year; They weren't close to a championship. Give me a break. They are the best team in the East. They gained experience from the finals with a young team and a young coach. I have my issues with Mike Brown, but he is a defensive guy and that is what it takes to get through the playoffs and guess what? It worked! They have progressed every year. The only upgrade you could make at Head Coach would be to bring in a guy that has won NBA championships before. Unless you want Larry Brown, then forget it. Phil Jackson and Pat Riley are not coming to Cleveland.
I would like them to get an offensive coach, explore any way to get rid of Hughes contract, and sign a decent big man to take some minutes fromt he aging Z and especially Marshall. Otherwise, I think they are fine.
GO CAVS!
Seriously, do you even read what you write? Who do you think made the douchebag personnel moves mentioned in your last paragraph? Here's a hint: It wasn't Bill Fitch.
BillD

Chillicothe, OH

#28 Aug 7, 2007
Oh, for God's sakes. Comparing McHale to Ferry is like comparing the colors of turds. You've completely missed his point. McHale couldn't surround Garnett with anything substantive. Only a blind monkey could dispute that Ferry has done a better job giving his superstar some actual NBA-level talent to help him.

If you'd stuck James on just about any team in the East, guess what, they'd have finished first in the East. It's just unbelievable that people with an IQ greater than a pet rock are crediting Ferry with James being so good.
Good Move- hmmm

Swansea, SC

#29 Aug 7, 2007
Hudson is a decent player, however, speaking selfishly, I do NOT want Larry Hughs stats to deteriorate, as he is on my fantasy team!
Even beyond the fantasy part, if the Cavs actually do sign Hudson, with the intent on making him a regular part of the rotation, they might as well try and trade Hughs, as they cold likely get a decent player, who would serve a different purpose on the team, than what Hughs did(or didn't do), for the Cavs.
Ryan

Cincinnati, OH

#30 Aug 8, 2007
Bill- I'll give you that giving Hughes such a big contract was a mistake, but they had the money at the time and smartly offered near max deals to Michael Redd and Ray Allen. They both decided to stay put, what different could Ferry have done? I love that they kept Z, and he has been the second most consistent player over the last two years behind LeBron. Marshall wasn't a bad signing either. It would be nice to add some depth to our bigs since they are starting to get older and Marhsall won't be around a lot longer.

Instead of asking if I read what I write, why don't you read what I'm asking for all of the Ferry-critics to come up with: What else would you want him to do.

I like the makeup of the team and wouldn't want any drastic changes, just incremental improvement. Bibby was a possibility, but I wouldn't give up our size advantage for him. Again- WHAT ELSE WAS THERE?? Until you can answer that question, there is no use blaming Ferry. Relax people, we have a good team, on the verge of greatness.

Calling me a blind monkey and dumber than a pet rock doesn't help the situation. It also shows your immaturity and inability to have an intelligent discussion.
BillD

Chillicothe, OH

#31 Aug 8, 2007
Ryan wrote:
Bill- I'll give you that giving Hughes such a big contract was a mistake, but they had the money at the time and smartly offered near max deals to Michael Redd and Ray Allen. They both decided to stay put, what different could Ferry have done? I love that they kept Z, and he has been the second most consistent player over the last two years behind LeBron. Marshall wasn't a bad signing either. It would be nice to add some depth to our bigs since they are starting to get older and Marhsall won't be around a lot longer.
Instead of asking if I read what I write, why don't you read what I'm asking for all of the Ferry-critics to come up with: What else would you want him to do.
I like the makeup of the team and wouldn't want any drastic changes, just incremental improvement. Bibby was a possibility, but I wouldn't give up our size advantage for him. Again- WHAT ELSE WAS THERE?? Until you can answer that question, there is no use blaming Ferry. Relax people, we have a good team, on the verge of greatness.
Calling me a blind monkey and dumber than a pet rock doesn't help the situation. It also shows your immaturity and inability to have an intelligent discussion.
There's absolutely nothing that Ferry CAN do. Instead of making wise trades and using Paxson's truckloads of cap space, he took a saw and cut off his own legs. Now you're asking, "What can he do?" What can he do??? Aside from buying a couple of prosthetics, not much.

And that Ilgauskas signing might have been the worst of them all. Intelligent move, forcing the entire roster to combine five years of the floor skills of Secretariat with an albino tortoise with a pituitary condition. Brilliant basketball strategy.
Ryan

Cincinnati, OH

#32 Aug 8, 2007
So you said it, there is nothing he can do. So your rants here have not been really based on the lack of moves this summer, but rather the moves of the past. Sure they effect what is possible now, but those moves happened, move on and suggest or speculate on what could happen, instead of dwelling on the past.

But, we could go back and debate his moves from 2 years ago. I thought and still think that Ilgauskas was a good move. Even in his slower, older years, he is a top 5 center in the NBA. Just try to name 5 centers that have put up his production over the last 2 years.

The major weakness two years ago was shooting and bringing in Marhsall and Jones to open up the floor seemed logical. Do I wish we got Allen or Redd, but it just didn't happen. I had Joe Johnson over Hughes, but we went with Hughes.

Now, for the present. It seems like we agree that we can't do too much. So a move like Hudson seems pretty smart. Maybe look to Portland or Minnesota who all of a sudden of a wealth of ok point guards.
John COLLINS

United States

#33 Aug 20, 2007
I LIKE Ohio it`s a big state....
John COLLINS

United States

#34 Aug 20, 2007
Ilike Aurburn and not alabama because Alabama changes coches to much???

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sasha Pavlovic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Boston Celtics: Three Serious Free Agents for D... (Jun '11) Jun '11 shaq 1
News Shaq's value to Cavs can't be measured until Ju... (Feb '10) Jun '10 johnny 29
News Wolves go out with a tie: 15 wins (Apr '10) Apr '10 jeb 20
News Kurt Rambis still pushing slumping Timberwolves... (Mar '10) Mar '10 DD Austin 4
News Cavaliers, Suns agree to deal that sends Shaq t... (Jun '09) Nov '09 Bewitched 70
News Minnesota Timberwolves sign Sasha Pavlovic (Sep '09) Sep '09 Mike 2
News A jester for the King (Jul '09) Jul '09 DAN 6
More from around the web