Ohio.com - Cavs take good look at Hudson

Ohio.com - Cavs take good look at Hudson

There are 34 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Aug 3, 2007, titled Ohio.com - Cavs take good look at Hudson. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

It might not be popular to fans dying for action in a summer of blockbuster trades, but the Cavaliers are staying the course and taking a conservative approach.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
The Juice

Laredo, TX

#1 Aug 4, 2007
Lebron needs some help! Period!!!
The Juice

Laredo, TX

#2 Aug 4, 2007
Lebron needs some help and we all knew that before game 1 of the finals started! GIVE THE MAN SOME HELP DANNY! HE BROUGHT YOUR TEAM OUT OF THE GUTTER ONTO THE MAP!!!
Is Ferry scared

United States

#3 Aug 4, 2007
Isn't anyone worried that Ferry can't make a significant deal since he has never made one before? I really don't think Flip Murray for Mike Wilks is a real big time move. Trading the 12th man on the Cavs for the 8th man on Seattle (let's not forget he was going to be a freeagent and Seattle wanted to get something) hardly constitutes wheeling and dealing. Also, do you think Ferry is scared to stick his neck out there and take a risk? Is Ferry more interested on coasting with the Players Paxson drafted and traded for? It seems his favorite line is "we tried to get something done." I am obviously not a fan of his, yet! That is because he capped us out, and other than Daniel Gibson, who has he drafted, signed or traded for that would be considered an asset? Hughes? Not with that contract. Remember, Paxson drafted LeBron, traded for Sasha, Varejou and Gooden, and provided Ferry with over 20 million in cap space. I just keep thinking losers try and winners actually get something done. I am starting to think as a GM, Ferry is starting to resemble Mike Brown's offense, no creativity.
Cavs need a real PG

Bayside, NY

#4 Aug 4, 2007
No disrespect to our current group of guys, but none of them are championship-type PG's. Gibson may become one some day, but right now he isn't.
Seattle and Portland have extra point-Guards, and Sacramento has made it obvious that they want to get rid of Bibby.
Geoff Petrie's main "want" was salary-cap relief. We can give that to him, and we could throw-in a 2nd rounder or something.
And excuse me if I don't do back-flips over the announcement that the Cavs are interested in Troy Hudson. There's a reason that the Timberwolves bought him out.
Bibby,Jason Terry,Luke Ridnour, West.... If Ferry knows he has to do a trade to get a PG, then why isn't he pushing-over every can and box to find a deal to bring a starting-quality PG here?????
I think I'm gonna have to agree with the previous poster in saying that Ferry is fast-becoming an unpopular figure in the Cleveland-Sports-World.
He may be doing things... Talking to people, behind closed-doors, but until he actually DOES something, he is just another Kevin McHale/ Isiah Thomas 'type' General-Manager: A cancerous nobody, who is wasting Cleveland opportunities.
dave

Spartanburg, SC

#5 Aug 4, 2007
I agree lebron needs more help. I LIKE the fact that our team has remained relatively unchanged the last couple of years. There is a lot to be said for stability. Not to say I wouldnt like a solid veteran point guard but we have a good nucleus. Wouldnt it be awesome if Larry Hughes was healthy all year, could hit some jumpers, and not break something everytime he took it to the rack???
Mike

Boston, MA

#6 Aug 4, 2007
5.9 points and 2.1 ASSISTS?? This is a starter-quality point guards!? Also, why is Mike Brown still not forced to hire an offensive assistant? Nothing changes here. Everyone else gets better.
tony

United States

#7 Aug 4, 2007
Cavs can't afford to lose gooden or andy and or zee at any point, they also need a quality big banger to defuse the 800lbs big man like shack. As far as the whole team goes they should sign some one like hudson type and get sasha to stay for another three years and trust me they'll be good enough to possibly win it all and that's all i have to say. go Cavs.
bigdawg

Union City, CA

#8 Aug 4, 2007
Danny Ferry is a gm like he was a basketball player a nothing winners do things make deals spend money the cavs brass is rideing off the lebron star power and making money while us fans are loseing money and hopeing for a championship that will never come as long as ferry and others keep doing what they are doing and what the owner should do is fire ferry and brown get a up temple coach a real gm find a way to dump hughes jones newble marshall there are some suckers like ferry out there and build a real winner not the ones that keep fans in the seats praying or the end result would be bye bye lebron and a return to the sad old days us fans can help them by not paying for any more dreams and leaveing that arena empty until something happens we can force their hands by taking keeping our money and not showing up
Eric

Washington, PA

#9 Aug 4, 2007
It's laughable to suggest Paxson was a stronger GM than Ferry. Sure, he drafted Lebron, but that was the ultimate no-brainer. While he did make a great trade in Gooden and Varejao for Battie he also drafted Wagner, Diop, Luke Jackson and wasted a pick in trading for Jiri Welsch... In any case, it was necessary for Ferry to overpay free agents to come to Cleveland as, at the time there was little history of winning and, lets face it, living in Cleveland isn't as appealing to most NBA players as Texas, Florida, New York, and California seem to be.
balla-holik

Saint George, UT

#10 Aug 4, 2007
Cavs suck they can't make any moves they could have got mike bibby and scola but that died because of Gooden c'mon
balla-holik

Saint George, UT

#11 Aug 4, 2007
Cavs suck they could have gotten mike bibby and scola in a three team deal but they didnt jus cuz Gooden was involved c'mon
Ryan V

United States

#12 Aug 4, 2007
dave wrote:
I agree lebron needs more help. I LIKE the fact that our team has remained relatively unchanged the last couple of years. There is a lot to be said for stability. Not to say I wouldnt like a solid veteran point guard but we have a good nucleus. Wouldnt it be awesome if Larry Hughes was healthy all year, could hit some jumpers, and not break something everytime he took it to the rack???
Lol that is funny Larry can and never will be any good he sucks and how is he the highest paid player and sucks that bad i am no basketball player but i can go out there and not play D and shoot the ball and make 30 % off the shoots i take dont stand up for his poor playing because he doesnt
Is Ferry scared

United States

#13 Aug 4, 2007
Eric must be Ferry's agent.
Paxson was a horrible GM, but he brought useful players and cleared cap space. Again, what has Ferry done? Sign his own restricted free agents? And why do you have to overpay for overrated free agents? Production matters, and Ferry's free agents have not produced like their salaries would dictate. He chose them. He could of realized that it was not worth the money and saved it to trade for a higher priced player, or for the next years free agents. Just because you have money, doesn't mean you have to spend it. He made bad investments with the cap room he was given. Leadership is about decisions. Ferry is about trying not to lose, not trying win. He and Marty Shottenheimer have that in common.
As for Paxson v. Ferry, it is laughable. Ferry has not done anything yet to draw a good or bad track record. You have to actually do something before you can be ranked. I hope Ferry is at least mowing Dan Gilberts lawn, otherwise he is stealing money. He sure isn't making the team better. Oh, I'm sorry. Ferry would probably say "we tried."
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

#14 Aug 4, 2007
Wow. Hudson. The excitement is too much to beleive.
BillD

Chillicothe, OH

#15 Aug 4, 2007
Is Ferry scared wrote:
Isn't anyone worried that Ferry can't make a significant deal since he has never made one before? I really don't think Flip Murray for Mike Wilks is a real big time move. Trading the 12th man on the Cavs for the 8th man on Seattle (let's not forget he was going to be a freeagent and Seattle wanted to get something) hardly constitutes wheeling and dealing. Also, do you think Ferry is scared to stick his neck out there and take a risk? Is Ferry more interested on coasting with the Players Paxson drafted and traded for? It seems his favorite line is "we tried to get something done." I am obviously not a fan of his, yet! That is because he capped us out, and other than Daniel Gibson, who has he drafted, signed or traded for that would be considered an asset? Hughes? Not with that contract. Remember, Paxson drafted LeBron, traded for Sasha, Varejou and Gooden, and provided Ferry with over 20 million in cap space. I just keep thinking losers try and winners actually get something done. I am starting to think as a GM, Ferry is starting to resemble Mike Brown's offense, no creativity.
Actually, Paxson provided Ferry with close to $30 million in cap space. The guy stunk on the court, and incredibly is stinking worse off the court. He's Cleveland's own Ripley's Believe It or Not.
BillD

Chillicothe, OH

#16 Aug 4, 2007
Eric wrote:
It's laughable to suggest Paxson was a stronger GM than Ferry. Sure, he drafted Lebron, but that was the ultimate no-brainer. While he did make a great trade in Gooden and Varejao for Battie he also drafted Wagner, Diop, Luke Jackson and wasted a pick in trading for Jiri Welsch... In any case, it was necessary for Ferry to overpay free agents to come to Cleveland as, at the time there was little history of winning and, lets face it, living in Cleveland isn't as appealing to most NBA players as Texas, Florida, New York, and California seem to be.
Yes, and Ferry could have gotten that Welsch pick back from Phoenix for nothing. But he didn't. And that's just plain dumb, Ferry could have gotten guys in trades, either in the off-season or during the season. If a guy is traded, he has to come to Cleveland whether he wants to or not. Unless you're Alonzo Mourning and you're a front office without a backbone. So that "free agents don't want to come to Cleveland" thing doesn't wash. Within the context of $30 million in available cap space to mold your roster, it's complete BS.

Yes, Paxson was atrocious, no doubt. But Ferry is doing what was previously thought impossible, which is making Paxson look smart by comparison.
Boobie or Bust

Cicero, IL

#17 Aug 4, 2007
Since everybody knows thats the CAVS need a point guard nobody will trade
one to them to put them over the top. So it's Boobie or Bust for this year. Yet, I don't understand why they don't go after Andray Blatche at the price he's asking. Otherwise I've never understood why former GM Paxson was never awarded the Ted Stepian Prize for the roster he left.
NoWay

Medina, OH

#18 Aug 5, 2007
They won't even make the playoffs next year. Last year was a fluke.
NoWay

Medina, OH

#19 Aug 5, 2007
The Cavs should get rid of Hughes ASAP( I could beat him in games of donkey all day long and I'm a computer geek), and pick a local HS player for point guard (since Ferry can't find one anywhere else).
BillD

Chillicothe, OH

#20 Aug 5, 2007
Boobie or Bust wrote:
Since everybody knows thats the CAVS need a point guard nobody will trade
one to them to put them over the top. So it's Boobie or Bust for this year. Yet, I don't understand why they don't go after Andray Blatche at the price he's asking. Otherwise I've never understood why former GM Paxson was never awarded the Ted Stepian Prize for the roster he left.
First of all, kiddo, it's Stepien. With an "e". Second, Paxson left Ferry with $30 million in salary cap space. Seriously, Ferry couldn't have walked into a better situation. LeBron James and cap space to burn. And that's exactly what Ferry did, he burned it.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sasha Pavlovic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Boston Celtics: Three Serious Free Agents for D... (Jun '11) Jun '11 shaq 1
News Shaq's value to Cavs can't be measured until Ju... (Feb '10) Jun '10 johnny 29
News Wolves go out with a tie: 15 wins (Apr '10) Apr '10 jeb 20
News Kurt Rambis still pushing slumping Timberwolves... (Mar '10) Mar '10 DD Austin 4
News Cavaliers, Suns agree to deal that sends Shaq t... (Jun '09) Nov '09 Bewitched 70
News Minnesota Timberwolves sign Sasha Pavlovic (Sep '09) Sep '09 Mike 2
News A jester for the King (Jul '09) Jul '09 DAN 6
More from around the web