Cavs clamp down to win

Cavs clamp down to win

There are 52 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from May 15, 2007, titled Cavs clamp down to win. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

The Cavaliers' closing mechanics might need a little oil, but it won't cost them a closing chance.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Go Cavs

United States

#1 May 15, 2007
Go Cavs!

Since: May 07

Indianapolis, IN

#2 May 15, 2007
Typical Cavs playoff win - somehow they get it done and manage to squeak out a win. 7 and 1 is unbelievable considering that, as a poster in another thread correctly stated, they too often play like it was a regular-season game. And let's face it, despite the 30 points, LeBron CHOKED in the 4th. I'm a Lebron fan but gotta say it as I see it. He almost lost it for us with his piss-poor field goal and free throw shooting. If the Cavs had lost it it would have been LeBron's fault imo. It would have been a VERY interesting thread here (it will be anyway) ;) Anyway 1 out of 2 in New Jersey is great. The Nets must be in shock. Jason Kidd lost it for them by going 2-13 from the field and not getting to the free throw line... only 5 points. We're lucky he had an off night. But all things said and done I'll happily take it. Just my opinion.

Indianapolis, IN

#3 May 15, 2007
There's been a lot of (not-so-nice) debate about Lebron's status in the league lately. I would submit that until he can regularly step up when his team needs him the most - in close games in the 4th quarter - he needs a lot of maturing before he can be placed in the same pantheon as some of the all-time greats. Maybe this is why he doesn't win MVP although he has plenty of time to mature... he's just 22 after all. I have high hopes for him. Once again, just an opinion.
Temple-Man

Warren, NJ

#4 May 15, 2007
Thank you Mike Brown...again!

While Vince Carter and LeBron were trying to out-choke each other down the stretch, the defense shut down those gutless country club Nets and got us another ugly playoff win. Back in February when everyone (including the players) wanted us to play kamikaze offense like Golden State, Brown stuck to his guns. Now it's May, we're on our way to the conference finals and everyone finally understands what he was talking about (right?).

It would also be nice to see Pollard (the 4th Hanson brother) get out there and buckle that CBA toothpick, Mikki Moore with a good elbow. How can a 7-foot 145lbs guy with a girl's name wearing braids pretend to be tough?

Our point guard play was still cruddy, but that's not going to get fixed until next year.

Where be at all the Mike Brown haters?
Charlie

Gales Ferry, CT

#5 May 15, 2007
Sasha is showing that he can be a thorn in the side of many of the opposing players. Did everyone see the exchange him and Carter had in the fourth quarter. Granted he has not put up good numbers the last 2 games but he is maturing more and more with his gritty defense and his ability not to back down from anyone. Especially that rail of a man Mikki Moore, I do agree with Temple-Man why not put in Pollard to hammer Moore a few times in the post. Thats what Pollard is good at and we should use it.

GO CAVS bring on those bums from the Motor City.
ESE

Cleveland, OH

#6 May 15, 2007
FINALLY some spunk!!! Now to get Pollard on the floor and perform his job as enforcer to get Milli Vanilli out of his game. As soon as he got angry his game fell off. Keep the defense tight, run, stay in your lanes, play within yourself, and on to Detroit.
Fair and Objective

Olmsted Falls, OH

#7 May 15, 2007
Yea, LeBron needs to grow up. But even at this point, he's quite impressive. Let's just hope that he can control the distractions of trying to become a "global presence". If he doesn't learn how to take over, hit his free throws and be more aggressive when needed, he'll be seen as an underachiever (unfair but true).

One thing that annoys the hell out of me is this teams tendency to try and hit "home runs" with jumpers(Larry Hughes and LeBron). Damn. You got Z and Drew down low...they should be eating the Nets up down there.

But still, a great, gutty win.
Fair and Objective

Olmsted Falls, OH

#8 May 15, 2007
Go Sasha! I see that cat really blossoming in the next couple of years. Hopefully Larry Hughes contract doesn't prevent us from keeping him...
whereisthelove

Akron, OH

#9 May 15, 2007
I agree, we really need to do something about the abuse that Mikki Moore is doing to us, Vince Carter is not far behind with the way he acts too. It really disgusted me the way they were treating our players, it was so gangster and just plain nasty. NJ team is frustrated and this is how they are dealing with it. I worry somebody is going to get really hurt. I know it is the playoffs but it is basketball not a gladiator match. I must say the Cavs keep their composure during all of this. Vince Carter in Sasha's ear as they were going down the court. Sasaha said nothing and Vince just kept speaking to the side of Sasha's face. I was surprised the refs let this go on, but then again it is Vince Carter and Sasha. Had it been somebody besides Sasha they may not have let it go on.
Actual Fan

Chevy Chase, MD

#10 May 15, 2007
The Cavs won. Again. For the 7th time in 8 playoff games.

I repeat: the Cavs won. The series stands and 3-1 and they will almost certainly advance to the conference finals now.

And yet you complain about LeBron missing freethrows. You people are indoctrinated by the national news media--always trying to scrounge up whatever flimsly little reason you can find to criticize LeBron. But it's just plain stupid. Where are all of the "superstars" in the NBA right now? Their TEAMS are at home, or playing golf.

I teach teenagers and pre-teens in the DC area, and I've got to say this: their nonsensical criticism of the Cavs is more sage and worthy of my ear, because at least their home team is not the CAVS! Yours is, fool!
RFN

Columbus, OH

#11 May 15, 2007
Lebron almost lost them the game? My lord, you people need to understand things a little more clearly. The whole reason they had a lead was because of Lebron. See, when you say silly things like, "Lebron almost lost them the game", you then have to be honest and say the whole reason they were in the lead was because of Lebron. His teammates get wide open shots, why? Oh, that's right. Because James demands a double, and sometimes triple team, all the time. Even with those hard defenses charging at him, he still has time to score 30 points, grab 9 rebounds and dish off 7 assists. But, yeah, you're right. He alomost lost them the game. Silly kids...
WhereAreTheLebro nHaters

Hilliard, OH

#12 May 15, 2007
Temple-Man wrote:
Where be at all the Mike Brown haters?
Only caught the final minutes of the game, but I know we should be killing the Nets with the personnel we have. They just don't match up well with us. No bench and no bigs, sorry record in a weak division. I'm still not feeling Brown's player rotations or offense(or lack thereof).
Temple-Man

Warren, NJ

#13 May 15, 2007
Fair and Objective wrote:
Yea, LeBron needs to grow up. But even at this point, he's quite impressive. Let's just hope that he can control the distractions of trying to become a "global presence". If he doesn't learn how to take over, hit his free throws and be more aggressive when needed, he'll be seen as an underachiever (unfair but true).
One thing that annoys the hell out of me is this teams tendency to try and hit "home runs" with jumpers(Larry Hughes and LeBron). Damn. You got Z and Drew down low...they should be eating the Nets up down there.
But still, a great, gutty win.
Good comments. When LeBron stands at the free throw line, he's thinking about being a $200 million icon who's trying to build this grand Jordan-sized legacy. That'll come. For now he just needs to concentrate on the rim. He'll be fine.
Rajac04

Moorestown, NJ

#14 May 15, 2007
30-9-7 That's all i have to say about LeBron. You guys are idiots for thinking he "almost lost" us the game. I agree he needs to hit free throws late and go to the hole more, but if he didn't have the type of game he had, we would have lost by 15!
ramon

Canton, OH

#15 May 15, 2007
Defense wins in the semi finals. Defense and a point guard will be required in the finals.
bob

Tallmadge, OH

#16 May 15, 2007
Re. The refusal to sign Newble's petition....Just how far up your ass does your head have to be to not know what Darfur is all about.
David

Pocatello, ID

#17 May 15, 2007
I'm not sure what some of you want. And, just how do you know what LeBron is thinking at the charity stripe? I'm not a betting man, but if I were I'd bet he was thinking about making that damn free throw.

Anyway, gutty for sure...the team won and nobody almost lost it. Hey, did you notice, Cavs won it.
I'm extremely doubtful the Nets can beat us three games in a row, esp. with two at home. I think the Nets are cooked...Energy will abound Weds. night and I think the Nets will mail it in.

“Serenity Now!”

York Township, OH

#18 May 15, 2007
bob wrote:
Re. The refusal to sign Newble's petition....Just how far up your ass does your head have to be to not know what Darfur is all about.
Let's toss this into another thread, shall we?

I just got finished reading editorials from CNNSI.com and FoxSports.com . Both basically said that the Cavs "won ugly". They seem to believe that New Jersey's ineptitude is the real reason the Cavs are up 3-1, not the Cavs stifling defense. They called this the "lower half" of the East bracket and said the playoffs should be re-seeded to avoid matchups like this.

That's fine.....I'm starting to get used to the national criticism and disrespect. Just keep winning, Cavs. This is really about Cleveland, and getting that elusive title here once and for all. F*ck the national media.

As far as LeBron goes, his free throw shooting is atrocious and embarrassing. However, it is true that we'd never have been in the game without him to begin with.....or any other game in this series, or in the last series, or any game ever. But the attention will always go on what he does in the clutch. He'll be fine if and when he starts developing a true killer instinct.

Since: Apr 07

Whitehall, MT

#19 May 15, 2007
almost one half of the game had playoff intensity! if the cavs can play an entire game like it matters that would be something special.
Temple-Man

Warren, NJ

#20 May 15, 2007
bob wrote:
Reality check: Taking a political stance would cost LeBron millions of dollars. Sad but true. He can't just sign his name even if the cause is moral and just. No one cares if Drew Gooden signs Ira Newble's petition. Frankly, no one cares about Ira Newble. If LeBron signs a petition, ESPN turns it into an international incident. Michael Jordan is in the same trap. He never gives his opinion because it would hurt his endorsements. That's too bad because they could influence a lot of people, but remaining neutral is more lucrative.

Icons like Muhammad Ali, Jim Brown and Kareem have lost millions standing on their principles. It's not an easy thing to do.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sasha Pavlovic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Boston Celtics: Three Serious Free Agents for D... (Jun '11) Jun '11 shaq 1
News Shaq's value to Cavs can't be measured until Ju... (Feb '10) Jun '10 johnny 29
News Wolves go out with a tie: 15 wins (Apr '10) Apr '10 jeb 20
News Kurt Rambis still pushing slumping Timberwolves... (Mar '10) Mar '10 DD Austin 4
News Cavaliers, Suns agree to deal that sends Shaq t... (Jun '09) Nov '09 Bewitched 70
News Minnesota Timberwolves sign Sasha Pavlovic (Sep '09) Sep '09 Mike 2
News A jester for the King (Jul '09) Jul '09 DAN 6
More from around the web