Ohio.com - LeBron prepared to play minus Varejao, Pavlovic

Full story: Akron Beacon Journal

INDEPENDENCE: The ceremonies and goodwill tours are over. The Cavaliers returned from their eight-day trip to China over the weekend and had their first practice Monday.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
osiris

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

Ahhhmmmm, I don't find this situation funny any more. LeBron's comments have been getting more and more forceful, this was bound to happen.

Ferry has not been proactive. That's fine when everything is going well, but now things aren't going well. Obviously the front office and LeBron aren't on the same page. They need to get on the same page and get there fast.

Is Ferry conservative, patient and coy? Or an inexperienced general manager struggling at his job?
Antone

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

No reshaping or regrouping. A ridiculous off season for the Cavs. I'm not blaming Danny completely, I don't care what Dan Gilbert sez, his business took a huge hit in the mortgage credit mess. He's not spending money now because he doesn't have any!
Old Man Grump

Hudson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

Is A$$ LeBron James now the spokesman for the Cavs? It's obvious he feels like I do that the Cavs are a team not destined for the finals again this season without the unsigned players. The Wild Thing is absolutely critical to be signed for that C/F off the bench. They still need the point guard and shooting guard too.

Cavs are at best a .500 team this year with a owner who is broke and a GM who is not in control.

The curse of 1954 Cleveland Indians Bob Fellar is hust getting worse. Why didn't he take the opportunity to appologize for the NY Hat? Appologize A$$ Lebron.
Truth Hurts

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

Old Man Grump wrote:
Is A$$ LeBron James now the spokesman for the Cavs? It's obvious he feels like I do that the Cavs are a team not destined for the finals again this season without the unsigned players. The Wild Thing is absolutely critical to be signed for that C/F off the bench. They still need the point guard and shooting guard too.
Cavs are at best a .500 team this year with a owner who is broke and a GM who is not in control.
The curse of 1954 Cleveland Indians Bob Fellar is hust getting worse. Why didn't he take the opportunity to appologize for the NY Hat? Appologize A$$ Lebron.
Can you sound anymore like a complete moron?
First of all...it's FELLER. And APOLOGIZE. Reetard.

“LeBron = Born-again Tribe Fan!”

Since: May 07

Tallmadge, Ohio

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

Since the Cavs were trying to trade Gooden for Bibby last season, why not just try to swing a trade of Pavs and Wild Thing for Bibby?

Ferry not proactive? Hmmm. He went down to Brazil not long ago to speak with Andy V. That is proactive, in my opinion.
Spud

Stow, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

OK, I surrender. There's no point in talking rationally on this string. O.M. Grump's presence guarantees that there will be at least one a$$h01e spouting nonsense every day. I was hoping I wouldn't have to see "$$" anymore after the Tribe was done.

OMG? STFU!
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

osiris wrote:
Ahhhmmmm, I don't find this situation funny any more. LeBron's comments have been getting more and more forceful, this was bound to happen.
Ferry has not been proactive. That's fine when everything is going well, but now things aren't going well. Obviously the front office and LeBron aren't on the same page. They need to get on the same page and get there fast.
Is Ferry conservative, patient and coy? Or an inexperienced general manager struggling at his job?
I disagree, Ferry has been proactive, too proactive. Signing Marshall, Jones, and Hughes to mamoth contracts has tied his hands. All three are flops or near flops.
East Side Joe

Chevy Chase, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

And another Cleveland story begins as James begins to pack his bags for New York.
Pete Franklin Jr

Lakewood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

Lebron, RUN, don't walk away from Cleveland. This lost cause was set in motion the day Danny Ferry was hired and Larry Gilbert is too cheap to ever fork over the money to bring the supporting cast Lebron needs.

There is no way that the franchise will survive again if it has to go back to awful garbage that Gordon Gund used to trot out in his time in Cleveland. It's going to be hilarious to see "the Monsters" and Arena Football as the "Q's" only tenants in a few short years.

And Pete Franklin Jr. told you so.
Brownie in Kenton

Chesterland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

I don't think it's Ferry's fault. He's dealing with two guys who don't seem to have a clue of their value to the team.
Varajoa wants 11 mill/per as a bench player with limited offensive skills?? He might be worth about 4M.
Sasha isn't as far out there, but still hasn't proven to be an effective night in/night out player, let alone starter.
I'd like to see these players in camp ready to contribute, but I don't want to see the Cavs overpay for bench players and handcuff themselves down the line. Hold the line, Danny!!
Josh

Saint Clairsville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

I'm getting tired of saying it all the time, but what does NY have that Cleveland doesnt? How about LA? I guess I've been sleeping for a few years cuz last I checked, the Lakers havent done anything since Shaq left, and the Knicks are one of the worst teams in the NBA. Meanwhile, the Cavs have been a 50-win team for 2 years running and nearly won a title last year. Did I miss something?

Lebron isnt going anywhere, and since when does not having 2 role players cripple a Conference Champion? I seem to remember a BUNCH of people, including a few who have already commented on this post, ripping Sasha and saying he was a liability. Andy is a hustle rebounder, so someone who can speak Brazilian needs to pull him aside and let him know that hustle rebounders dont make 11 mil a year.

Other than that, you guys make perfect sense. Hang tight Ferry, Cap relief is only a year away!
ESC

Berea, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

There is a pall over this team right now. They're going to start the season jet lagged and without two key players. They play Dallas on opening night and embark on a six-game Western swing less than a week later.

In other words: November is going to be a disaster for the Cavs. If this team is over .500 by Christmas, I'll consider it a minor miracle.

As it is, without Andy or Sasha, or major additions in their place, the Cavs might be looking at 35-40 wins, which might or might not get you into the playoffs in the East.
Maryland Cavs Fan

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

I think Ferry is doing exactly what he has to do to give this team a chance to become a legitimate power in the future. The Cavs need to take their medicine this year -- in terms of not giving into temptation to overpay role players just to get them back asap -- in order to have the flexibility they need to get an additional key player or two in the near future.

That doesn't mean Ferry was foolish to pay what he did for Hughes and others before. Then, it was the highest priority to build a competitive team as quickly as possible and based on the available options and market at that time. Getting a team that could compete insured that LeBron had reason to stay and gave the fans reason to hope.

Now he is starting phase two, which is going to require taking a step back this year (unless younger players step up big time) to create the flexibility next year and beyond to jump up a level. Now free agents can see that LeBron is the real deal and not just potential. Now at least some really good players will want to be part of this team.

Players and fans forget that fair market value fluctuates with supply and demand and available dollars. Players love to cite market value when it means they can demand and get more. But they have tapped the market out now, and that means that fair market value now is down for similar players. The need for cap space (more than the luxury tax issue) is what I see driving the Cav's current position.

I think LeBron understands this, but he cannot be seen saying so because he needs to stay on the good side of his teammates and the player's union. That does not mean, however, that he does not privately realize that his best chance of building a championship team for the future is to have the team pay some bills now.

I think the Cavs are doing this right, and I suspect LeBron does too. Otherwise, I think he would be far more critical of management than he has been.
John

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

East Side Joe wrote:
<quoted text>
I disagree, Ferry has been proactive, too proactive. Signing Marshall, Jones, and Hughes to mamoth contracts has tied his hands. All three are flops or near flops.
Ferry had to sign Hughes after making max offers and not signing R. Allen, M. Redd, and J. Johnson. Jones and Marshall had the highest 3 point shooting percentage the year before Ferry signed them. All three have played below their contracts. All three have been part of back-to back 50 win seasons and one trip to the Finals. Also the signings were a key factor in Lebron signing his extension.

There is no way Ferry is going to pay AV more than Gooden (about 6.4 mil a yr), nor should he. Pavs is much more likely to be resigned than AV. I don't see AV playing on this team this year at all, unless he caves. I think Ferry will make a move by the trading deadline if Cavs are struggling. There should also be some decent players available as teams have to get their rosters down to 15.
John

Boston, MA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

Josh wrote:
I'm getting tired of saying it all the time, but what does NY have that Cleveland doesnt? How about LA? I guess I've been sleeping for a few years cuz last I checked, the Lakers havent done anything since Shaq left, and the Knicks are one of the worst teams in the NBA. Meanwhile, the Cavs have been a 50-win team for 2 years running and nearly won a title last year. Did I miss something?
Lebron isnt going anywhere, and since when does not having 2 role players cripple a Conference Champion? I seem to remember a BUNCH of people, including a few who have already commented on this post, ripping Sasha and saying he was a liability. Andy is a hustle rebounder, so someone who can speak Brazilian needs to pull him aside and let him know that hustle rebounders dont make 11 mil a year.
Other than that, you guys make perfect sense. Hang tight Ferry, Cap relief is only a year away!
Amen.
bigdawg

Sunnyvale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

Ive heard it all ferry buried us into a salary cap problem by picking up players no body else wanted for the money that they were asking for because they were not worth it.and dumb ferry couldnt see it.now we got contract problems that he cant figure out and unless he clean up the mess he has made then for all you LBJ fans qand not real cavs fans who has been their thru the tough times and not since LBJ came aboard LBJ will be seeking a trade next season or will opt out his contract after that so enjoy why you can so ferry get it right or leave
freddie

Warren, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

John wrote:
<quoted text>
Ferry had to sign Hughes after making max offers and not signing R. Allen, M. Redd, and J. Johnson. Jones and Marshall had the highest 3 point shooting percentage the year before Ferry signed them. All three have played below their contracts. All three have been part of back-to back 50 win seasons and one trip to the Finals. Also the signings were a key factor in Lebron signing his extension.
There is no way Ferry is going to pay AV more than Gooden (about 6.4 mil a yr), nor should he. Pavs is much more likely to be resigned than AV. I don't see AV playing on this team this year at all, unless he caves. I think Ferry will make a move by the trading deadline if Cavs are struggling. There should also be some decent players available as teams have to get their rosters down to 15.
Good points. The last Cleveland team to "step back" because of salary was the Browns after a year in the playoffs and we all know what happened. If the same time frame happens with the Cavs, by the time they step up again Lebron will be long gone. And don't think for one minute LeBron isn't taking the first jet out of here as soon as he can.
JimboBogil

Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

The woes of the Cavs is totally the ineptness of Danny Ferry. He must be fired. It was his indecisions that put the Cavs in this deep hole.

For example he did nothing during the summer. Imagine passing up on the opportunity trading with the Spurs those expensive heavy baggages of the Cavs for the rights to Luis Scola(PF) and Jackie Butler(C).Danny Ferry could have signed Andy Varejao and Sasha Pavlovic and then traded anyone or both of them packaged along with those non-performing players of the Cavs, to either the Celtics for Al Jefferson(C/F) and Delonte West(PG/SG)/ or to the Hornets for Tyson Chandler(C)
Old Man Grump

Hudson, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

freddie wrote:
<quoted text>
Good points. The last Cleveland team to "step back" because of salary was the Browns after a year in the playoffs and we all know what happened. If the same time frame happens with the Cavs, by the time they step up again Lebron will be long gone. And don't think for one minute LeBron isn't taking the first jet out of here as soon as he can.
Lest we not forget the 2001 after season Indians step back by cheap A$$ Dolan, and 6 years before they made the playoffs again. Let's face it folks, Cleveland is the Mistake by the Lake and always will be losers in all their sports.
Thall

Arlington, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 23, 2007

John is RIGHT. I wouldn't sign not one more guy for over 5 mil a year at this point. Many contracts the Cavs have come off the books next year or the year after. No way I hamstring the organization now. AV gotta come up off that 10 mil mess he talkin.
WHO IN HERE WOULD PAY AV 10 MIL for 6 pts and 6 rbs?

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of39
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Sasha Pavlovic Discussions

Search the Sasha Pavlovic Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Boston Celtics: Three Serious Free Agents for D... (Jun '11) Jun '11 shaq 1
Shaq's value to Cavs can't be measured until Ju... (Feb '10) Jun '10 johnny 29
Wolves go out with a tie: 15 wins (Apr '10) Apr '10 jeb 20
Kurt Rambis still pushing slumping Timberwolves... (Mar '10) Mar '10 DD Austin 4
Cavaliers, Suns agree to deal that sends Shaq t... (Jun '09) Nov '09 Bewitched 70
Minnesota Timberwolves sign Sasha Pavlovic (Sep '09) Sep '09 Mike 2
A jester for the King (Jul '09) Jul '09 DAN 6
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••