No. 3 Pitt Defeats No. 1 UConn

No. 3 Pitt Defeats No. 1 UConn

There are 75 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 7, 2009, titled No. 3 Pitt Defeats No. 1 UConn. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Often after a game like this, one lost because of UConn 's shortcomings and Pittsburgh's potency, coach Jim Calhoun can be an acerbic ball of fire.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Timster

Wallingford, CT

#64 Mar 9, 2009
cameo35 wrote:
<quoted text>.......Those DUDES can beat Pitts football team!....
Hey Cybil- Your transparency is only surpassed by your stupidity. Answer the on topic poster: How's YOUR team doing this year? You see, I have a theory......We've all pretty much surmised that you and your "Life Partner" Ken Kreyeske are both playing on the same "Team". Judging from your angst filled rants I don't think it would be a stretch to assume your position on that team to be "Catcher". Don't forget your meds!!!
Enough is Enough

East Hartford, CT

#65 Mar 9, 2009
UCONN in the Valley wrote:
<quoted text>If I am thinking of the plays from yesterday's game that you are referring to I cannot blame Thabeet.
The offense was not running their plays which led to too many bad shots
(jump shots by the wrong shooters) with no defensive rotation getting back. Long rebounds led to fast breaks and easy points for Pitt. This is not on Thabeet.
The defensive gameplan of doubling on Blair in the post limited his scoring opportunities but there is no player on UCONN right now who can match up with Young. Dyson was the best hope.
Thabeet may very well be Defensive Palyer of the Year again this season.
One of the announcers said it best at about the 13 minute mark of the 2nd half. He pointed out how Thabeet looked tired and if a team is a running team he is pretty much a non-factor because they get down the floor before he can get there.
Shocker-kid is lazy as they come. He spends more time flopping around on the floor than anyone I've ever seen. He looks like one of those fish that lands on the floor and just flops around there. I was at the UConn womens game yesterday and the UConn big girl(McLaren)hustles harder than he does. I think she may even be faster than Thabeet.
checkyourfacts

Willimantic, CT

#66 Mar 9, 2009
I agree with go cards that Pitt is very dangerous. UConn tried to stop them but they don't have anyone quick enough to match up with Sam Young. I think UConn is a great team and probably a final four team but would hate to see Sam Young again.
cameo35

Bloomfield, CT

#67 Mar 9, 2009
Timster wrote:
<quoted text> Hey Cybil- Your transparency is only surpassed by your stupidity. Answer the on topic poster: How's YOUR team doing this year? You see, I have a theory......We've all pretty much surmised that you and your "Life Partner" Ken Kreyeske are both playing on the same "Team". Judging from your angst filled rants I don't think it would be a stretch to assume your position on that team to be "Catcher". Don't forget your meds!!!
......Timster!If You had stopped molesting your Husky, then it wouldn't be pregnant!........ Uconn will lose the first game of the Big East Tornaments!..
Timster

Wallingford, CT

#68 Mar 9, 2009
Cameo- I stand by my last statement, "If you had only gotten your G.E.D. we wouldn't be in this mess". By the way, How's YOUR team doing this year?????? Go Huskies!!
UCONN in the Valley

AOL

#69 Mar 9, 2009
Luke wrote:
<quoted text>
I`ll give you a few..
A) Play zone more to minimize mismatches
b) Give Scottie Harrelson more minutes to open things up a bit
C)Play Gavin Edwards more in place of Stanley (invisible) Robinson or Rupaul as some NBA players may refer to him
D)Stop over utilizing the high ball screen and having our guards dribble around and around thus giving the defense even more time to set up and take advantage of mismatches.
E)Shouldn`t have started Austrie,Stubborness isn`t a virtue necessarily.Walker provides more in every facet
F) Utilize Thabeet more as a decoy and design more kickouts from low post when Pitt collapses D and free up slashers such s Price and Walker to then penetrate(Walker) or have more open looks (Price)
Need some more???
I agree with most of what you post; and it is refreshing to see someone who has specifics to make a point!
Playing a zone has never been Coach Calhoun's game. I fear he sees this as "weakness". UCONN's man-to-man defense has been terrific against most/all opponents this season except for Pitt. After the 1st Pitt game I posted a comment asking for zone or some "junk" defense to combat what Pitt tries to do. If they meet again UCONN must find a better defensive solution for Young first, Blair second.
This team has only one legit 3 point shooter in Price. I agree that Harrelson needs to play. He hit some shots at Marquette.
Gavin Edwards is not the answer vs Pitt. He is too slow to match up with any Pitt front line player.
UCONN's offense, when run well involves that high screen (and sometimes double screen) at the foul line. Against most teams this opens up easy close range shots. Can't give up on this set.
Austrie has been MIA for the last 4-5 games. Is something outside of basketball bothering him? Need him to play good defense, score 8 - 10 points and have 3-4 assists per game in the tourny.
I only wish Thabeet could see the floor and pass well enough from the post. I think you give him too much credit here.
UCONN in the Valley

AOL

#70 Mar 9, 2009
Enough is Enough wrote:
<quoted text>
One of the announcers said it best at about the 13 minute mark of the 2nd half. He pointed out how Thabeet looked tired and if a team is a running team he is pretty much a non-factor because they get down the floor before he can get there.
Shocker-kid is lazy as they come. He spends more time flopping around on the floor than anyone I've ever seen. He looks like one of those fish that lands on the floor and just flops around there. I was at the UConn womens game yesterday and the UConn big girl(McLaren)hustles harder than he does. I think she may even be faster than Thabeet.
If you execute your offense and make shots you do not give up fast breaks and easy baskets. UCONN did this in 27 of 30 games this season. No big man in the country gets up and down the court to defend fast breaks by the opponent. Calling Thabeet lazy is silly. His game has improved tremendously in 3 years based on by all accounts "hard work".
UCONN in the Valley

AOL

#71 Mar 9, 2009
Luke wrote:
<quoted text>
Here`s another one John..
Game was close,only down by two pts,Pitt was reeling and Price was feeling it and what did Calhoun do??..He sat Price for way too long,too late in the game at too pivotal a juncture..There was even one tv timeout where price had a rest and Calhoun still kept him out..then pitt went on a mini run and by then it was too late..not good game management
I noticed this as well and said this to the group of guys who I watched the game with. I cannot believe that Coach Calhoun or AJ Price believed that the team was better off without Price on the floor at this crucial time. Is there something here we don't know? Is Price 100%?
UCONN in the Valley

AOL

#72 Mar 9, 2009
CDK wrote:
UCONN in the Valley:
Let me clarify, I was stating that the other players are used to Thabeet covering up their defensive shortcomings and are relying on him too much. He's a great shot blocker, but if the other players would play defense the way they should, it wouold make UConn a more complete team. Walker and Price do great jobs defensively, but it seems anyone else refuses to.
As far as your other comments, when Uconn had less talent, they ocassionally played a zone defense.
Surely with Thabeets ability to control the paint, this could be an answer to teams they don't match up with.
UCONN's defensive philosophy for the past 10 yrs has been to have the shot blocker in the paint (Donyell Marshall, Jake Voskul, Josh Boone, Emeka Okafor) which allows the other players to get aggressive on the perimeter. Get up on the opponent, get a hand in his face, make the pasing lanes smaller.
If the perimeter defender gets beat on the dribble the shot blocker is in place to protect the goal. The issue with this team is that Stanley Robinson reacts to too many ball fakes, Kemba Walker tries hard but is still inexperienced, Craig Austrie who used to be a relaible defender has lost his game in the past 2 weeks, AJ Price is a very good player but NOT a good defender, and most importantly; Dyson is missing.
The days of Ricky Moore, Ruby Johnson, etc ( a lock-down defender) are in the past.
Timster

Wallingford, CT

#73 Mar 10, 2009
cameo35 wrote:
<quoted text>......Timster!If You had stopped molesting your Husky, then it wouldn't be pregnant!........ Uconn will lose the first game of the Big East Tornaments!..
Had I known your Mom "The Husky One" got pregnant, I certainly would have turminated !!!!(I'm spelling in a way that you understand aren't I?????
Fan

Brooklyn, CT

#74 Mar 11, 2009
Frank The Tank wrote:
I love watching Calhoun lose.
Doesn't happen very often, does it?
Timster

Marion, CT

#75 Mar 14, 2009
Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
Doesn't happen very often, does it?
Seeing morons like Frank post happens TOO often!! GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!
Fan

Brooklyn, CT

#76 Mar 17, 2009
WIN (which they mostly do) or lose, I look at each 'hater' post as the absolute compliment, as jealousy comes in many forms and when you are GOOD, many are jeaous! GO UCONN!
Timster

Marion, CT

#77 Mar 19, 2009
UCONN 103 Chattanooga 47 What's up "Cybil"?
Timster

Beacon Falls, CT

#79 Mar 20, 2009
ha ha wrote:
<quoted text>
ha ha ha... timpy is all happy cause puke-on beat what amounts to a freakin high school team! The BIG puke-on choke is coming soon timpy! you know it's true!! bwa ha ha!!!!
And how's Your team doing "Cinderella"?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sam Young Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gilbert Arenas: How Arenas Would Fit in Memphis... (Mar '12) Mar '12 barry38372 1
News Grizzlies visit Thunder for decisive Game 7 (May '11) May '11 memphis fan 1
News Blair can't be in a foul mood for Pitt to win (Aug '09) Aug '09 NYRfan 2
News Who will the Detroit Piston take in the 2009 NB... (Jan '09) May '09 18andDONEwithoutC... 31
News NCAA Top Seeds Tar Heels, Louisville Play Tonight (Apr '09) Apr '09 kenan robeson 1
News A familiar ending for Pitt's season of firsts (Mar '09) Mar '09 frustrated in ATL 1
News High stakes for Huskies with Pitt in town (Feb '09) Mar '09 Timster 2
More from around the web