No. 3 Pitt Defeats No. 1 UConn

No. 3 Pitt Defeats No. 1 UConn

There are 75 comments on the Hartford Courant story from Mar 7, 2009, titled No. 3 Pitt Defeats No. 1 UConn. In it, Hartford Courant reports that:

Often after a game like this, one lost because of UConn 's shortcomings and Pittsburgh's potency, coach Jim Calhoun can be an acerbic ball of fire.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Hartford Courant.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Rick

Ridgewood, NJ

#1 Mar 8, 2009
A good game but Pitt played harder and smarter. UConn with superior talent lost to a team that understands how to play the game better.
Basketball Fan

Oxford, CT

#2 Mar 8, 2009
Let's hope that some other team can beat Pitt so UCONN doesn't have to face them again, either in the Big East Tournament or the NCAA's. It doesn't appear that UCONN can match up with Pitt. Sam Young makes UCONN look like a high school team.
Edward the Third

Hamden, CT

#3 Mar 8, 2009
I love watching Calhoun lose.
Dan Pacino

Canton Center, CT

#4 Mar 8, 2009
Two words - Outplayed and Outcoached. UCONN won't be around much longer and I love it!
Rick

Ridgewood, NJ

#6 Mar 8, 2009
Dan Pacino wrote:
Two words - Outplayed and Outcoached. UCONN won't be around much longer and I love it!
I agree but I think Calhoun will be with us for a while longer. For many years I have had the fantasy that when Calhoun leaves Gino takes over the men's basketball program.

“5,24,48,88”

Since: Nov 07

Beacon Falls, CT.

#7 Mar 8, 2009
Like I posted after the first game against Pitt. can't anybody guard Sam Young please. They were not out coached, they missed shots down the stretch and the F/T shooting didn't help either. Time to get ready for the tournaments, Big East and NCAA.
winitall

Ellington, CT

#8 Mar 8, 2009
Would you rather beat them now or for the NCAA title. Remember Georgia Tech in 2004.
ha ha

United States

#9 Mar 8, 2009
Edward the Third wrote:
Calhoun is an obnoxious jerk. He deserves this. Uconn won't get anywhere near the final 4.
superstud

AOL

#10 Mar 8, 2009
27-3 not a bad season & now the fun begins - Pacino & John from wallingford are losers the kind of punks the jocks love to play headgames with in highschool
great year

Meriden, CT

#11 Mar 8, 2009
I am not going to turn on this team, I am both a fan and person that has watched enough college basketball to know that this team is plenty good and tough enough to make the final 4. Calhoun is a great coach, but two things keep bothering me about recent games.

1. Uconn desperately needs to open things up with threes. Haralson has hit 3 out of the 6 real threes (not the heaves at the end of the game) in recent days. He needs real minutes. Austrie has been loyal and tough but he just is not a high d-1 player that can score.

2. Sam Young is like a big 3. In theory Robinson should be the same, he is not a good enough defender. Adrian is a 4 straight out. He was tooling with Uconn and making other guys on Pitt get wide open. If they play zone the utilize the strength of all three to block shoots down low and you have the guard speed to cover the outside. Plus Uconn saves energy for the offensive end. Calhoun is in the hall of fame b/c of defense but sometimes zone is okay. This is one of these times. Good luck next week. There is no reason to think a team that beat 5 top 25 teams (the most of anybody) can't win a lot more. And I am hoping we play Pitt again.

“Great spirits welcome”

Since: Jan 09

portland

#12 Mar 8, 2009
Education 1 Sports 0
Timster

North Westchester, CT

#13 Mar 8, 2009
Edward the Third wrote:
You need the Geek squad to check out the spell-check on your computer, didn't you mean "Edward the Tird"??????? Just keeping an eye out for you Cybil. Don't forget your meds!!!!
gocards

Louisville, KY

#14 Mar 8, 2009
great year wrote:
I am not going to turn on this team, I am both a fan and person that has watched enough college basketball to know that this team is plenty good and tough enough to make the final 4. Calhoun is a great coach, but two things keep bothering me about recent games.
1. Uconn desperately needs to open things up with threes. Haralson has hit 3 out of the 6 real threes (not the heaves at the end of the game) in recent days. He needs real minutes. Austrie has been loyal and tough but he just is not a high d-1 player that can score.
2. Sam Young is like a big 3. In theory Robinson should be the same, he is not a good enough defender. Adrian is a 4 straight out. He was tooling with Uconn and making other guys on Pitt get wide open. If they play zone the utilize the strength of all three to block shoots down low and you have the guard speed to cover the outside. Plus Uconn saves energy for the offensive end. Calhoun is in the hall of fame b/c of defense but sometimes zone is okay. This is one of these times. Good luck next week. There is no reason to think a team that beat 5 top 25 teams (the most of anybody) can't win a lot more. And I am hoping we play Pitt again.
Why should you turn on your team, they are still a very strong team that could go very deep into the NCAAs. Due to injuries UConn slipped a bit, even though my Cards won the BE my brain tells me that Pitt is the best team in the conference. Young is the most underrated player in the country, he is proficient at every phase of the game. Blair is a rebounding machine and Fields is one of one of the best 2 or 3 pt. guards in the country. The BE should show well in the NCAAs.
freddy kool

Palm Coast, FL

#15 Mar 8, 2009
Edward the Third wrote:

fk I SEE YOU ARE THE THIRD, AFTER TWO, BRAIN CELLS ARE DAMAGED,
freddy kool

Palm Coast, FL

#16 Mar 8, 2009
mazza94 wrote:
Like I posted after the first game against Pitt. can't anybody guard Sam Young please. They were not out coached, they missed shots down the stretch and the F/T shooting didn't help either. Time to get ready for the tournaments, Big East and NCAA.
fk I AGREE, YOU HIT THE NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD.....WELL DONE
freddy kool

Palm Coast, FL

#17 Mar 8, 2009
fk HOPE WE MEET PITT AGAIN, IT IS VERY VERY HARD TO BEAT A TEAM 3 TIMES IN ONE YEAR. GO HUSKIES!!!!!!!!
lee

Windsor, CT

#18 Mar 8, 2009
I think Pitt crushed Uconn in football too!!!
Timster

North Westchester, CT

#19 Mar 8, 2009
freddy kool wrote:
<quoted text>
fk I SEE YOU ARE THE THIRD, AFTER TWO, BRAIN CELLS ARE DAMAGED,
Couldn't agree with you more, however please don't encourage this moron (Edward, Pizzmo, HaHa, Racous,Gee,etc etc) to procreate, in the hopes that HIS next generation's Fold might have a brain cell.......He's the poster child for Birth control needs in this country!!!!
Uconn78

Wheaton, IL

#20 Mar 8, 2009
Uconn had no respect for Young and it showed in how they played them. Maybe the third time around someone will guard him and there will be a different result. The big question though is who is that somebody because it is obvious they have not shown up. Thabeet did get to them in the first half he scored and rebounded without trouble, but Dixon changed that at half time and that changed the complexion of the second half and also the course of the game. Uconn is a damn good team and they will be a tough out anywhere they go!
Uconn78

Wheaton, IL

#21 Mar 8, 2009
lee wrote:
I think Pitt crushed Uconn in football too!!!
Wait till next year baby. We are bigger stronger and faster. besides Wannstadt is a washed out coach, he was terrible as the Bears coach, he was lucky he was not tarred and feathered before he left town!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sam Young Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Gilbert Arenas: How Arenas Would Fit in Memphis... (Mar '12) Mar '12 barry38372 1
News Grizzlies visit Thunder for decisive Game 7 (May '11) May '11 memphis fan 1
News Blair can't be in a foul mood for Pitt to win (Aug '09) Aug '09 NYRfan 2
News Who will the Detroit Piston take in the 2009 NB... (Jan '09) May '09 18andDONEwithoutC... 31
News NCAA Top Seeds Tar Heels, Louisville Play Tonight (Apr '09) Apr '09 kenan robeson 1
News A familiar ending for Pitt's season of firsts (Mar '09) Mar '09 frustrated in ATL 1
News High stakes for Huskies with Pitt in town (Feb '09) Mar '09 Timster 2
More from around the web