Minnesota Timberwolves win their fans...

Minnesota Timberwolves win their fans back

There are 28 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Feb 5, 2009, titled Minnesota Timberwolves win their fans back. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Minnesota Timberwolves Season Ticket holder Deb Larson reacts as the Timberwolves score against the Lakers during the second period of Minnesota Timberwolves vs.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
jbird

Grand Forks, ND

#1 Feb 5, 2009
You will know when the fans come back when I am not the only one commenting on timberwolves articles.
Tiffany

United States

#2 Feb 5, 2009
rashad mccants is playing again

yeeessssiiirrrr
fracas

Tucson, AZ

#3 Feb 6, 2009
Tiffany,

As you are this boards only certified Rashad McCants supporter, I will ignore your "yeeesssiirrr" as it is truly obvious that you do not know what you are talking about.

The wolves need two or three things before the long time fans quoted in the article get their championship wishes fulfilled. The wolves need a center that is big enough, and mobile enough, to at least neutralize some of the better centers in the league. The guy doesn't have to be a big time scorer, but does need to clog the middle. Is Thabeet the one? Stay tuned.

The wolves also need a point guard that can penetrate and create shots for others. Since New Orleans isn't going to trade Chris Paul, or Utah trade Deron Williams, I guess we are going to have to find this person in the draft as well. Fortunately, this years draft is heavy on point guards. While Telfair appears to have matured, and cleaned up his gun-toting act, I still view Sebastian as a back-up, and not as the dominating point that we really need.

Trade McCants while he has some value, even if it does disappoint his Logan, Illinois fan club.
Mark

Eau Claire, WI

#4 Feb 6, 2009
The franchise is clearly moving in the right direction again. We are in good shape from a draft picks perspective. Glen is still dedicated to winning, and McHale has landed on his feet. The pieces are lining up for another major run-up in success for the Wolves. It's going to boil down to how well we use the ammo we have.
William

Peoria, AZ

#5 Feb 6, 2009
uh, they didnt win me back....
Juice

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Feb 6, 2009
William wrote:
uh, they didnt win me back....
Thats because youre a fair weather fan

Ill be honest it was hard to watch them earlier this year but lately they are playing exciting basketball, even when they loose.
Tom

Lake Mary, FL

#7 Feb 6, 2009
really?'Wolves win their fans back?- all three of them according to the article in todays Press (2/6)

c'mon folks - they're 13-16 since McHale took over. 20 years and 1 serious playoff run in that whole time and you all think their current "run" is exciting?!?!?! 10-4 in January? Really? Look at the caliber of teams they played.

It doesnt take much apparently to please the baskeball fans in MN. This team isnt going anywhere as long as McHale is associated with it in any capacity...and dare I say even Taylor.

When the only reason you can put 19000 fans in seats is because Boston or LA is in town, THATS when you should know that somethings not right.

Reality folks - take a cup of it and see what happens.
ali

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Feb 6, 2009
for the first time since 03-04, they're not depressing to watch. i still watched them the last 4 years, but it wasnt very exciting.

i really like what im seeing from kevin love, and the progress the rest of the team is making. hopefully we can get a stud or two in the draft, and sign a stud next year in 2010.

as for mchale. i hated him as a vp, but think he's done decent as a coach.
Richie-Rich

Minneapolis, MN

#9 Feb 6, 2009
Deb - Were you Drunk or High when you answered this question ?

"I have a feeling that I'm going to be in the minority here," Larson said. "I think he's (McFAIL) done an OK job there.

I love Basektball and can watch it all day long. However, watching the Timberwolves without KG is painful even though they have improved since McFAIL has taken over. I still follow them and watch them when on t.v..... Although, if the Cavs, Celtics, or Lakers are on I give them the bigger screen on my picture and picture and have Puppz on my smaller screen.
StPauliBoy

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Feb 6, 2009
McHale's done a great job as coach, but it's hard to support him in his front office position... maybe Whitman just didn't know what to do with the talent and get them to gel like McHale could.

As for you NJ posters out there, not like the Nets are anything exciting to watch, and they're more games behind in their division than the Wolves! Remember, lower your expectations and you'll never be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised. After a 5-20something start to the season any month with a winning record is something to be excited about! Either way, it's easier to go through life happy than whine about everything the whole time.
Bryan Canniff

United States

#11 Feb 6, 2009
Too bad we couldn't keep the Laker name.
The Lakers won 5 championships here so we would have a winning tradition.
Only lake in LA is the the La Brea Tar Pit.
Tom

Lake Mary, FL

#12 Feb 6, 2009
StPauliBoy wrote:
McHale's done a great job as coach, but it's hard to support him in his front office position... maybe Whitman just didn't know what to do with the talent and get them to gel like McHale could.
As for you NJ posters out there, not like the Nets are anything exciting to watch, and they're more games behind in their division than the Wolves! Remember, lower your expectations and you'll never be disappointed, only pleasantly surprised. After a 5-20something start to the season any month with a winning record is something to be excited about! Either way, it's easier to go through life happy than whine about everything the whole time.
yeah, not sure where the NJ came from as Im in MN but whatever. and youre probably right, Nets arent worth the ink on a ticket stub either but again, I'm not in NJ. Why have a nba b-ball team at all if its run by incompetents year after year and all its ever going to be is the leagues doormat every season ('cept one of course).

And its my God given right to whine.
mikelmer

Minneapolis, MN

#13 Feb 6, 2009
StPauliBoy wrote:
McHale is WINNING with the players that he selected. Perhaps the problem isn't his eye for talent but for his choice in coaches.
Juice

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Feb 6, 2009
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>
yeah, not sure where the NJ came from as Im in MN but whatever. and youre probably right, Nets arent worth the ink on a ticket stub either but again, I'm not in NJ. Why have a nba b-ball team at all if its run by incompetents year after year and all its ever going to be is the leagues doormat every season ('cept one of course).
And its my God given right to whine.
They assumed because your IP says New Jersey thats all
Digga

Minneapolis, MN

#15 Feb 6, 2009
I don't think there are many folks predicting play-offs this year so I see nothing wrong in some enthusiam for the pups. I can tell the fans are back b/c I just bought tickets to the Jazz game and the lower bowl is about sold out (of course there is a promo too). McHale may have found his calling. Let the Mayor and Stack find the players, and Kev can coach 'em up. Considering how young this team is, I think he's doing well. I'd like to see him continue into next season.
Tiffany

United States

#16 Feb 6, 2009
yesssiirr yeeesssiirr,ima keep saying it,im just happy that rashad is playimg again so dont hate fracas
Tom from Minneapolis

Lakeville, MN

#17 Feb 6, 2009
Juice wrote:
<quoted text>
They assumed because your IP says New Jersey thats all
yeah, my comment was referring to that as well
Tom from Minneapolis

Lakeville, MN

#18 Feb 6, 2009
Digga wrote:
I don't think there are many folks predicting play-offs this year so I see nothing wrong in some enthusiam for the pups. I can tell the fans are back b/c I just bought tickets to the Jazz game and the lower bowl is about sold out (of course there is a promo too). McHale may have found his calling. Let the Mayor and Stack find the players, and Kev can coach 'em up. Considering how young this team is, I think he's doing well. I'd like to see him continue into next season.
have no problem with having enthusiasm but year after year for a mediocre team thats going no wheres year after year or as long as
McFail's anywhere near the team - I dont see why there would be enthusiasm. about what??? yeah, sure he'll win you few games - the players arent completely talentless and there are the teams that are actually a tad worse than the 'Wolves that'll keep McFail looking like a coaching genius to some of you.

I think sports fans in MN have gotten so used to mediocrity with the sports teams that anything close to a .500 season is something of an accomplishment that should be celebrated.
fracas

Tucson, AZ

#19 Feb 6, 2009
Tiffany wrote:
yesssiirr yeeesssiirr,ima keep saying it,im just happy that rashad is playimg again so dont hate fracas
Tif,

Not "hatin", just pointing out that you are about the only person on earth, including K. Kardashian, who thinks McCants is a stud, while I continue to think he sucks.
Tiffany

Schuylkill Haven, PA

#20 Feb 6, 2009
oh,it seems like your hatin,but anyways im glad im a rashad mccants fan,i know what he can do on the court,and i think he plays to the best of his ability,and why you think he wears number 1?cuz hes number 1

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Sam Mitchell Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Spotted in downtown Columbus: Shaquille O'Neal ... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Will Dockery 6
News Charles Barkley's advice for Minnesota Timberwo... (Jul '09) Jun '11 Sammy 17
News Charley Walters: Hard work pays off for Timberw... (Apr '11) May '11 DD Austin 4
News Wolves go out with a tie: 15 wins (Apr '10) Apr '10 jeb 20
News Ricky Rubio's contract status, Timberwolves' co... (Jul '09) Jul '09 Morneau33 15
News Report: Mark Jackson is leading candidate to be... (Jun '09) Jun '09 wutsmaname 14
News Wolves looking for a Kevin McHale-type coach (Jun '09) Jun '09 William 7
More from around the web