Up by 29 points, Timberwolves wilt in record defeat

There are 27 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Dec 31, 2008, titled Up by 29 points, Timberwolves wilt in record defeat. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Which was more improbable Tuesday night: That the six-win Timberwolves would embarrass a proud playoff team like the Mavericks by roaring to a 29-point lead on Dallas' home floor, or that the Wolves would ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
txiong

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Dec 31, 2008
Twolves for sale, 70-80% off, coaches included.
TopGunn

Rochester, MN

#2 Dec 31, 2008
If we get the #1 pick in the draft would we pick Blake Griffen from Oklahoma? Would he be yet another power forward? Would Big Al finally admit he's really a center? I've seen Thabeet from U-Conn
and Griffen from Oklahoma both play quite a bit the last 2 seasons and it's not even close...Griffen is a FAR better player. By the way, since Rashad McCants NEVER smiles I think packaging him and a #1
for a real point guard would help this team a lot.
Happy New Year!
Mad Dog Gus

United States

#3 Dec 31, 2008
No Comment needed!
Haaaa

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Dec 31, 2008
Timberwolves??? More like the ratty mutts sifting in garbage cans in the ally in N. minneapolis.
DizzyOne

Norcross, GA

#5 Dec 31, 2008
TopGunn wrote:
If we get the #1 pick in the draft would we pick Blake Griffen from Oklahoma? Would he be yet another power forward? Would Big Al finally admit he's really a center? I've seen Thabeet from U-Conn
and Griffen from Oklahoma both play quite a bit the last 2 seasons and it's not even close...Griffen is a FAR better player. By the way, since Rashad McCants NEVER smiles I think packaging him and a #1
Happy New Year!
The only way to improve this team is to fire everybody including the owner and start over from scratch, at least then you might have an excuse for being so lousy.
Gophers fan

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Dec 31, 2008
Congrats to Coach Casey! It had to be a good feeling with McHale sitting down on the visiting bench.

What evidence does the owner need that McHale is crushing this franchise?
Dr Izzill

Barnesville, OH

#7 Dec 31, 2008
First off I hate pro basketball. However I actually watched the last 4 minutes of the 3rd quarter and most of the 4th. At anyone time there were at least 3 T-pups on the floor who should be playing in Europe but I doubt the European leagues would want them. There will be a good game this morning at 11:oo a.m., Michigan State vs Gopher Nation. If you want to watch good basketball and consider yourself a fan then watch college ball. The pros' have nothing to offer. How did McFail get so far up Taylors ---?
Danny Boy

Minneapolis, MN

#8 Dec 31, 2008
wow...29 point lead and you lose...in ANY sport that is shameful...just when you thought it could get NO worse...it does..unbelievable....
Happy New Year to all!!!!
Dave

Minnetonka, MN

#9 Dec 31, 2008
Happy New Year McHale! Coach Casey is popping the champagne today, you must be hiding in a hole somewhere. Please step down..any assistant coach is more qualified that you to take over this mess
jbird

United States

#10 Dec 31, 2008
TopGunn wrote:
Happy New Year!
If they get the number 1 pick it will be traded to OKC for Kevin Durant and another one of our picks. But with the way the NBA's draft is rigged OKC will get it anyways.

Bulls- Rose
Cle- Lebron
OKC- Griffin

just watch the wolves will draft 4 more white dudes that cant jump or make jump shots.
cheach

Savage, MN

#11 Dec 31, 2008
wow the wolves suck. that garnett trade really worked out for the best in the long run didn't it?
why couldn't we trade mchale to the Celtics instead? They could have sent us a box of kleenex and we would have gotten the better of that deal.
Turk

Plymouth, MN

#12 Dec 31, 2008
Happy New Year!!
Jake

Saint Augustine, FL

#13 Dec 31, 2008
I haven't been following the T-Wolves too closely this year, but I saw the highlights or lowlights of this game and that performance in the second half of the game was pathetic. It seemed like every shot by Dallas was uncontested.

I have never coached basketball in my life, but I feel I could have done a better job of coaching these players than the current coaching staff. There is no excuse for that kind of collapse and just adds to the embarrassment that is the Timberwolves organization. They have to be the laughingstock of the NBA.

I guess the Clippers have officially passed the torch of being the perennial NBA losers to the T-Wolves.
Tiffany

United States

#14 Dec 31, 2008
they probably didnt have rashad mccants on the floor,thats what blew the 29 point lead away
joe

Mound, MN

#15 Dec 31, 2008
Jake wrote:
I haven't been following the T-Wolves too closely this year, but I saw the highlights or lowlights of this game and that performance in the second half of the game was pathetic. It seemed like every shot by Dallas was uncontested.
I have never coached basketball in my life, but I feel I could have done a better job of coaching these players than the current coaching staff. There is no excuse for that kind of collapse and just adds to the embarrassment that is the Timberwolves organization. They have to be the laughingstock of the NBA.
I guess the Clippers have officially passed the torch of being the perennial NBA losers to the T-Wolves.
Pretty sure you wouldn't have coached them to a 29-point lead in the first place, but that's beside the point...
World B Free

Saint Paul, MN

#16 Jan 1, 2009
Any chance a couple guys started hoisting up terrible shots to try to put up stats when they were up big. I think we gave up a 23 or 24 point lead to the Mavs back in 2000 or thereabouts by doing the same thing. Somebody call me when the nightmare is over. I'd like to start watching them again when it's worth it.

Since: Feb 08

Cottage Grove, MN

#17 Jan 1, 2009
Danny Boy wrote:
wow...29 point lead and you lose...in ANY sport that is shameful...just when you thought it could get NO worse...it does..unbelievable....
Happy New Year to all!!!!
I was flipping through channels yesterday, and saw they were up so much. I thought to myself, well, at least that's win #7.

Right...exactly why I don't watch the T-wolves anymore...

“Wher's dem turkey necks?”

Since: Dec 08

Palm Desert, CA

#18 Jan 1, 2009
I can imagine this scenario:

Glen Taylor is sitting at home watching his Timberwolves business operating while sipping on some Johnny Walker Blue and thinking to himself,
"My business plan for this operation is working to perfection. I think I will give McHale that raise and extend his contract he wanted this year. Attendance is down, I'm going to lose more money on this franchise. Everything is perfect. Better pour me another Blue and light up my $10 Fuente. Gosh life is good."

I know this is fiction, but what other answer could there be for the overall performance of this entire basketball operation? As a business which is what the NBA first is all about, the Timberwolves are a complete and utter failure and I think this is a deliberate attempt by Taylor to lose money for tax purposes because his total business empire as a whole is extremely profitable.
Jack

Minnetonka, MN

#19 Jan 1, 2009
Like 99.9% of people still following the t-wolves, I too don't understand why McHale is in charge or even employed in any capacity. Does Taylor just need a tax deduction like DaCrusher_RIP mentioned? If so, it is a very humiliating price to pay. But what else could it be? This has gone on for so long that it can't logically be explained. And has anyone noticed on TV that the assistant coaches seem to be disengaged from McHale? It's almost as if they are giving him a rope to hang himself...I wouldn't blame them.
phoenix

Phoenix, AZ

#20 Jan 1, 2009
T-Mutts are an embarrassment to all Minnesota sports fans. Glen Faylor and McFale should write an instruction manual together #1 how to deplete your fan base and #2 how to ruin a franchise. I wonder what actions Glen Faylor would take if his executives that ran his multi-million dollar businesses had this track record of failure.

I stopped being a NBA fan years ago because of many reasons (David Stern) but it kills me as a Minnesota sports fan to see any team from my home state fail, especially when the failure is due to an infinite amount of horrible decision making.

The league is rigged, the only way to have a chance of winning a championship in this league is to have marque players or player that is highly marketable that makes the NBA (Stern) millions.

McFale proved to the Minnesota fans that he has more loyalty to the Celtics.

The T-Wolves Fans deserve alot better than this.

GO GOPHER BASKETBALL! The blue print of creating not only a successful team but also generates a fanatic and loyal fan! College basketball, thats where its at!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ryan Gomes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Clippers 126, Timberwolves 111: Kevin Love's do... (Jan '11) Jan '11 DD Austin 6
News Timberwolves 113, Clippers 111: Michael Beasley... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Ya mannn 3
News Gordon, Bledsoe propel Clippers to first victory (Nov '10) Nov '10 LOVE 1
News BONSIGNORE: Blake Griffin finally gets chance t... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Clips4Life 1
News Clippers are a work in progress (Nov '10) Nov '10 RAISED IN PICO 1
News Clippers drop to 0-3, remain work in progress (Nov '10) Nov '10 wip150 1
News Martell Webster looking at his Timberwolves opp... (Jun '10) Jul '10 Portland Fan 16
More from around the web