Martell Webster looking at his Timberwolves opportunity as a second...

Full story: TwinCities.com

Martell Webster, right, averaged just 8.5 points and 3.8 rebounds in five seasons with Portland, but the Timberwolves were impressed by his shooting, athleticism and defense.
Comments
1 - 16 of 16 Comments Last updated Jul 1, 2010
scoot

Plymouth, MN

#1 Jun 28, 2010
"before adding stars Brandon Roy and Greg Oden" Oden?? Have you not been around the NBA lately?
waitscale

Irving, TX

#2 Jun 29, 2010
sweet, so the Wolves just drafted 3 SF's to go with Brewer and now they wanna try to sign Gay, well that's great...looks like the teams in great hands, maybe they can sign Rudy and then bring him off the bench with Love and Sessions to form one helluva second unit...this teams a total mess.

Since: Jan 09

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Jun 29, 2010
I believe Webster will most likely play SG, not SF, but he can do either. I don't think they'll be pursuing Gay now. This is a positive trade for the Wolves. He also plays better defense than Gomes.
GSG

United States

#4 Jun 29, 2010
Only one question: who cares?
The Hard Truth

Northome, MN

#5 Jun 29, 2010
Unlike the raggers who have been writing above, I'm trying to follow Kahn's moves to see what is happening. He's playing a dangerous chess game that will blow up if he can't get to his end game. But, having said that, these new guys seem like likeable, thoughtful men who will be easy to life IF they win a few games. To me, the big questions are: what to do with Big Al and his "black hole" game if we really are trying to play race horse ball? And, can Rambis really coach? Last year he mismanaged KLove, put Johnny Flynn in an untenable position, failed to figure out how to use Al and KLove together, turned Ryan Gomes into a ghost, wasted Ramon Sessions, and created a team that couldn't play defense though he claimed defense was the key to the TWolves growth and success. Oh, and then there's the sacred "Triangle" offense. I just don't know if the guy can coach or if he is in way, way, over his head. I hope it's the former, but I fear it's the latter.
The Sad Truth

Saint Paul, MN

#6 Jun 29, 2010
I believe most fans coming here
are just frustrated right at the moment
and not mean spirited.

I also believe until we land a SUPERSTAR
through the draft or free agency it does
not matter if we hire Phil Jackson, we
will be going through this losing cycle
forever.

Big example: Lebron in Cleveland. Kobe in LA.
Coaches come and go but if you are lucky enough
to land a SUPERSTAR that one or two guy will
resurrect your franchise for decades.

That is the sad truth folks.....especially for
the NBA. Until then the fans are eroding every
season in franchises that can't come up with a
SUPERSTAR along with a winning season.
HOLDONAMINUTE

Saint Paul, MN

#7 Jun 29, 2010
Did this writer really call Webster and Wesley "sharpshooters"??? Absolutely hilarious. Yeah, sharpshooters compared to me.
BrettK

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Jun 29, 2010
Last year we drafted two PG's (no, not four) and signed another. As a result, Sessions largely sat on the bench. This year, we drafted 3 SF's and traded for another. Plus, Brewer is a natural SF. Now they claim we are still targeting Rudy Gay. So we'll go into the season with Brewer, Webster, Johnson, Gay and Hayward all at SF, and basically Ellington at SG? Or we'll make Webster and Brewer play out of position at SG? Couldn't we just target an ACTUAL SG? Like one who can really SHOOT?

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Jun 29, 2010
I believe they actually drafted 3 PG's last year - Rubio, Flynn, and Ty Lawson. Ellington is also a guard, but more of a SG.
blipppmy

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Jun 29, 2010
Poor guy. I bet he was pissed when he heard about coming here.
HOLDONAMINUTE

Saint Paul, MN

#11 Jun 29, 2010
Go_Ponies wrote:
I believe they actually drafted 3 PG's last year - Rubio, Flynn, and Ty Lawson. Ellington is also a guard, but more of a SG.
What about the kid from florida? Nick Calathis or something like that. I thought he was a PG too - although he was like 6'6". Obviously Lawson and Calathis ended up elsewhere though - well, and Rubio. Geez they are pathetic.

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Jun 29, 2010
HOLDONAMINUTE wrote:
<quoted text>
What about the kid from florida? Nick Calathis or something like that. I thought he was a PG too - although he was like 6'6". Obviously Lawson and Calathis ended up elsewhere though - well, and Rubio. Geez they are pathetic.
Hah! You're right! I was only looking at the guards they took in the 1st round.
emc

United States

#13 Jun 29, 2010
Kahn has received enough critizism from fans & media alike..this move is extremely sharp. The pick-up of Martell and drafting of Wes illustrate the end of the brewer days( thank goodness) another horrible draft pick from McHale ( McHale was always too busy golfing & hunting as oppossed to scouting and crunching salary $$)....It has been rumored the squad is looking into Shannon Brown for his athleticism & defense....one of Coach Rambis' favorites from his days in L.A.
HOLDONAMINUTE

Saint Paul, MN

#14 Jun 30, 2010
emc wrote:
Kahn has received enough critizism from fans & media alike..this move is extremely sharp. The pick-up of Martell and drafting of Wes illustrate the end of the brewer days( thank goodness) another horrible draft pick from McHale ( McHale was always too busy golfing & hunting as oppossed to scouting and crunching salary $$)....It has been rumored the squad is looking into Shannon Brown for his athleticism & defense....one of Coach Rambis' favorites from his days in L.A.
You must be Kahn's relative.....Kahn has not done one "sharp" thing - taking Wesley was a no-brainer so he shouldn't receive any credit for that. Webster, please. I will agree with you on one thing, getting rid of Brewer is a good thing.
NBA is a joke

Davenport, IA

#15 Jun 30, 2010
The Sad Truth wrote:
I also believe until we land a SUPERSTAR
through the draft or free agency it does
not matter if we hire Phil Jackson, we
will be going through this losing cycle
forever.
Spot on! Is it any wonder that the NBA is losing money? The way the NBA is being run is an absolute joke. It's no wonder the Timberwolves never get any better. If a team is among the three worst (where the Timberwolves usually are), the odds are that they will pick lower than where they finished at the end of the season. If one of the other teams (not the three worst) "wins" the lottery that automatically guarantees the Wolves will be picking later in the draft.

Bring back the coin flip or lessen the teams that qualify for the lottery. In my mind if your bad enough to get the first pick than you deserve it. Plus chances are that you'll land a key player that will make you competitive enough so you won't be in the lottery next year. It sure would help bring parity back to the league. That's the biggest problem. Realistically there are only 3-5 teams every year that have a real chance at winning a championship. These teams are stacked with several all-star caliber players while most teams are lucky to have one!
Portland Fan

Portland, OR

#16 Jul 1, 2010
Hey Minnie -

You guys are getting a ton of potential and a true class act in Martell Webster. This guy simply comes to work every day and takes advantage of every opportunity to shine. He could be a great starter for the Wolves - I am disappointed he couldn't be for Portland. I have always really liked this guy and I will continue to root for him in Minnesota. Except, of course, when he plays the Blazers.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ryan Gomes Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Clippers 126, Timberwolves 111: Kevin Love's do... (Jan '11) Jan '11 DD Austin 6
Timberwolves 113, Clippers 111: Michael Beasley... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Ya mannn 3
Gordon, Bledsoe propel Clippers to first victory (Nov '10) Nov '10 LOVE 1
BONSIGNORE: Blake Griffin finally gets chance t... (Nov '10) Nov '10 Clips4Life 1
Clippers are a work in progress (Nov '10) Nov '10 RAISED IN PICO 1
Clippers drop to 0-3, remain work in progress (Nov '10) Nov '10 wip150 1
Timberwolves trade Ryan Gomes as Martell Webste... (Jun '10) Jun '10 BigTenBen 52
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Ryan Gomes People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••