Spurs build a dynasty without much no...

Spurs build a dynasty without much notice from viewers

There are 8 comments on the The Indianapolis Star story from Jun 16, 2007, titled Spurs build a dynasty without much notice from viewers. In it, The Indianapolis Star reports that:

Exiting the arena with the NBA Finals MVP trophy in one arm and his actress fiancee on the other, Tony Parker looked like someone who should be a megastar in America.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Indianapolis Star.

tom

Greenfield, IN

#1 Jun 18, 2007
How true is it when POopovich says a team with character made up of people that have "gotten over themselves." Contrast that with the leading players the Pacers have brought in here. O'Neal, Artest, Jackson, Harrington, Tinsle and even the scrubs like Harrison. All guys who have not and in most cases never will "get over themselves." A clear demonstration that talent alone does not win championships. Look at the Pacers NBA finals team with Miller, Jackson, Smits, the Davises, Mullin, etc. all guys who had gotten over themselves and played the same way. You simply cannot overstate the obvious when it comes to the character of the current crop of Pacers and how much they care about the team vs. themselves.
PISTON

Jersey City, NJ

#2 Jun 18, 2007
The Bulls were the Dynasty in the 90's, not the Spurs. Bulls:1991-1998, Spurs 1999. So far the Spurs are making themselves and dynasty in the 2000's.
mary

Dallas, TX

#3 Jun 18, 2007
tom wrote:
How true is it when POopovich says a team with character made up of people that have "gotten over themselves." Contrast that with the leading players the Pacers have brought in here. O'Neal, Artest, Jackson, Harrington, Tinsle and even the scrubs like Harrison. All guys who have not and in most cases never will "get over themselves." A clear demonstration that talent alone does not win championships. Look at the Pacers NBA finals team with Miller, Jackson, Smits, the Davises, Mullin, etc. all guys who had gotten over themselves and played the same way. You simply cannot overstate the obvious when it comes to the character of the current crop of Pacers and how much they care about the team vs. themselves.
I totally agree with you in regards to the type of players that are being presented and displayed now
a days in athletics. I hope that the media was able to get a full understanding of what people really
appreciate and truly like in sports these days. The
San Antonio players were all well disciplined young
men. I even think Lebron James took notice of how
well they worked together as a team. I also think he
appreciated what he saw and will take some clues from them and begin making a few improvements for himself.
Cowboy

United States

#4 Jun 19, 2007
Tom & Mary: Very well said, however I have to agree to disagree, let’s take Manu Ginobilli for example, we all know that he is capable of starting for any other organization, however night after night he plays second fiddle on this San Antonio Spurs team. Why? Because he understands his role on the team!! Any other player of his caliber would immediate want out of his contract or demand to be traded. Player such as Ginobilli, Robert Horry, Michael Finley, etc., and their uncannily desire to win championships is what makes the Spurs so great. Nothing fancy; though that pass that Tony Parker made between the legs was sweet, no jumping from half court to take it to the hoop, just lots of phenomenal ball movement and the tendency to find the open man is what the Spurs are all about.

As for Lebron James and my disagreement, he doesn’t have a clue what makes a champion. In his last interview it was all about me – me – me!! Though I do consider him a “good” player he needs to learn that it takes more than one player to win a championship, until then the Cavilers will never win one!!

Again, congratulations to the one and only dynasty in recent years, the San Antonio Spurs!!
PISTON

Pottstown, PA

#5 Jun 19, 2007
Cowboy wrote:
Tom & Mary: Very well said, however I have to agree to disagree, let’s take Manu Ginobilli for example, we all know that he is capable of starting for any other organization, however night after night he plays second fiddle on this San Antonio Spurs team. Why? Because he understands his role on the team!! Any other player of his caliber would immediate want out of his contract or demand to be traded. Player such as Ginobilli, Robert Horry, Michael Finley, etc., and their uncannily desire to win championships is what makes the Spurs so great. Nothing fancy; though that pass that Tony Parker made between the legs was sweet, no jumping from half court to take it to the hoop, just lots of phenomenal ball movement and the tendency to find the open man 4is what the Spurs are all about.
As for Lebron James and my disagreement, he doesn’t have a clue what makes a champion. In his last interview it was all about me – me – me!! Though I do consider him a “good” player he needs to learn that it takes more than one player to win a championship, until then the Cavilers will never win one!!
Again, congratulations to the one and only dynasty in recent years, the San Antonio Spurs!!
Lebron James has done an outstanding job with the Cavs. They guy is only 22 years old and look where he's taken the Cavs...to the Finals. Unbelievable. He's not a good player, he's a phenomenal player. He dunks, shoots three's, and has a great shot. Cleveland having him is such a blessing. He's got raw talent. He's only going to get better. And I'll compare him to Michael Jordan in the sense that people are putting him down. Jordan got cut in H.S. and he defied all the odds and is maybe, if not, the greatest basketball player of all time. You dare say Lebron doesn't have a clue what makes a champion. Well, winning a trophy doesn't make u a champion to say the least. He's already a champion, and a hero. Coming straight out of H.S. to the NBA takes a lot of skill and courage. Lebron has rolled with the Big Boys in the Finals. Yea, obviously if Duncan had a Cavalier replica of a team, he has heck wouldn't be able to do it and Paker, Ginobli, or Horry couldn't do it either. Give Lebron a player like one of the Big three and that will solve evertything. Kobe didn't do it alone, Jordan didn't do it alone, Duncan didn't do it alone. So I think Lebron understands that he can't do it alone.
Cowboy

United States

#6 Jun 20, 2007
PISTON wrote:
<quoted text>
Lebron James has done an outstanding job with the Cavs. They guy is only 22 years old and look where he's taken the Cavs...to the Finals. Unbelievable. He's not a good player, he's a phenomenal player. He dunks, shoots three's, and has a great shot. Cleveland having him is such a blessing. He's got raw talent. He's only going to get better. And I'll compare him to Michael Jordan in the sense that people are putting him down. Jordan got cut in H.S. and he defied all the odds and is maybe, if not, the greatest basketball player of all time. You dare say Lebron doesn't have a clue what makes a champion. Well, winning a trophy doesn't make u a champion to say the least. He's already a champion, and a hero. Coming straight out of H.S. to the NBA takes a lot of skill and courage. Lebron has rolled with the Big Boys in the Finals. Yea, obviously if Duncan had a Cavalier replica of a team, he has heck wouldn't be able to do it and Paker, Ginobli, or Horry couldn't do it either. Give Lebron a player like one of the Big three and that will solve evertything. Kobe didn't do it alone, Jordan didn't do it alone, Duncan didn't do it alone. So I think Lebron understands that he can't do it alone.
That I consider Lebron James a “good” player is my opinion; just as you’re entitled to yours, so please don’t try to convince me otherwise. Because I live out of State, I missed both regular season games against the Cleveland Cavilers, so the only time I got to watch James perform was in the playoffs and Finals. Therefore, when you state that James can dunk, shoot three’s and has a great shot, all I saw against the San Antonio Spurs was; dunks, one that I saw, three point shots, one that I can remember and one that he missed at a crucial time, great shots, nothing that any other player couldn’t have made, so I wasn’t impressed. Can he do all that stuff you mentioned, absolutely, but not against a superb team like the Spurs, you put a defensive master of Bruce Bowen's caliber and he’s reduced to being an average player. I’ll give him credit for taking the Cavilers to the Final, but to compare him to Michael Jordan, I dare not go there; Jordan is in a class all by himself. Correct me if I’m wrong, you’re a Detroit Piston fan on the Cavilers wagon that’s influence and impressed with what James has accomplished? So to call James your hero would be appropriate, if that’s where your priorities lye; my hero’s aren’t even the two teams or players I support, my heroes are the men and women (past/present) who have fought for this country, and if winning a trophy doesn’t mean anything, please don’t tell that to these GIs because they keep dying and fighting battles for nothing more that a piece of cloth. It’s become apparent that you don’t have a clue either…………

Semper Fi Mac!!
PISTON

State College, PA

#7 Jun 21, 2007
Cowboy wrote:
<quoted text>
That I consider Lebron James a “good” player is my opinion; just as you’re entitled to yours, so please don’t try to convince me otherwise. Because I live out of State, I missed both regular season games against the Cleveland Cavilers, so the only time I got to watch James perform was in the playoffs and Finals. Therefore, when you state that James can dunk, shoot three’s and has a great shot, all I saw against the San Antonio Spurs was; dunks, one that I saw, three point shots, one that I can remember and one that he missed at a crucial time, great shots, nothing that any other player couldn’t have made, so I wasn’t impressed. Can he do all that stuff you mentioned, absolutely, but not against a superb team like the Spurs, you put a defensive master of Bruce Bowen's caliber and he’s reduced to being an average player. I’ll give him credit for taking the Cavilers to the Final, but to compare him to Michael Jordan, I dare not go there; Jordan is in a class all by himself. Correct me if I’m wrong, you’re a Detroit Piston fan on the Cavilers wagon that’s influence and impressed with what James has accomplished? So to call James your hero would be appropriate, if that’s where your priorities lye; my hero’s aren’t even the two teams or players I support, my heroes are the men and women (past/present) who have fought for this country, and if winning a trophy doesn’t mean anything, please don’t tell that to these GIs because they keep dying and fighting battles for nothing more that a piece of cloth. It’s become apparent that you don’t have a clue either…………
Semper Fi Mac!!
Oh pooh. Well your opinon is yours and no one can change that. But the fact remains that Lebron will take his team to the Finals and win very soon. Spurs rank as one of the greatest teams to play. When I said James was a hero, I meant to all the boys and girls who look up to him, not to leave out those who died for our freedom. If you wanna get technical about who heroes are I'll shoot for guys like Frederick Douglas, or Martin Luther King, and even our forefathers like Abraham Lincoln. I know what its about.
Cowboy

Solana Beach, CA

#8 Jun 26, 2007
What would justly justify Lebron James as a hero to kids, the fact that he plays basketball or the fact that this is what you believe? Either or, get real!! It sounds more like you’re the one that’s intrigued with him than anything else. It takes more than getting paid to throw a basketball through a hoop in order to be my hero; however I would truly consider James a “role model” if he went back and finished his education. Not every person in the world was born with the ability to play sports though every person in the world is born with the ability to excel.

Win a championship very soon, very unlikely!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Robert Horry Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ashlyn Horry Dead: Robert Horry's 17-Year-Old D... (Jun '11) Jun '11 agreed 16
News Spurs Smother LeBron to Take Game 1 (Jun '07) Jun '09 Lakerland 7
News Moore or Horry part of Lakers' plan? (Feb '09) Feb '09 kev 34
News Lakers meet Parker halfway (May '08) May '08 max 4
News Lakers turn right (May '08) May '08 corky 1
News West, Chandler start for Hornets (May '08) May '08 josh 4
News Horry sets mark (May '08) May '08 Cowboy 3