Suspensions lose all sense of fairness

Full story: Newsday

It was a no-brainer to defend David Stern on Carmelo Anthony's 15-game suspension.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated May 17, 2007
John Smith

Courtenay, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
May 15, 2007
 
so if a player goes to the dressing room or moves away from the bench because he is being showered with liquid from a spectator, and this happens during an altercation happening somewhere else then the player gets suspended.
if there is no discretion and the rule is enforced as writen that is what would happen
David Stern

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
May 15, 2007
 
I was wrong, but am afraid to admit it
Not Fair

Gilbert, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
May 16, 2007
 
Prior to the foul by "cheap-shot Bob", Stern had plans to attend the next game in Phoenix. Now that he made the decision to suspend Stoudemire and Diaw, those plans have been changed. He's a sissy for not showing up. Like Horry, Stern took his own cheap-shot. Pathetic.
ignition23

Philippines

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
May 16, 2007
 
my understanding of the rule is if a benched player did something to make the altercation worse or shoved or cursed an opposing player's then he will be suspended
Proud Spurs Fan

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
May 16, 2007
 
Then you need to read the rules again.
Any player that leaves the immediate area of the bench during an altercation. And the tape clearly shows both players leaping out of their seats and rushing over to charge the spurs. Its a good thing the Asst.Coaches pushed them off the floor or they would have gotten their asses kicked.
Proud Spurs Fan

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
May 16, 2007
 
John Smith wrote:
so if a player goes to the dressing room or moves away from the bench because he is being showered with liquid from a spectator, and this happens during an altercation happening somewhere else then the player gets suspended.
if there is no discretion and the rule is enforced as writen that is what would happen
PLEASE JOHN SMITH COME BACK TO EARTH, PHOENIX MISSES YOU.

We are very proud of our spurs. They are not a dirty team or a nasty playing team! We as a community are as upset as you are, in reference to Robert Horry's actions in game 4. As a city 90% of us are ashamed of Horry's actions, but get over it...
The NBA made the right call, a rule is a rule! The coaches were shown pushing the 2 players in question back off the court, what more evidence do you need to prove they were aware of the consiquences? As for the question of the 2nd quarter, there was no confrontaion, the Spurs players were simply checking to make sure their team-mate was ok, as the Suns did in game 1 when Nash and Parker ran into each other. You have to admit it may not be fair, but rules are rules. San Antonio is not whining about Horry being ejected, or being suspended for game 6 and 7.

If you ask me I think Robert Horry may have even made the biggest shot in his career...There is no doubt this gives us the edge, and isn't that what you want in the NBA FINALS?

You guys should learn how to compose the role models of Phoenix. Did you hear the language they used coming off the floor in SA, and you say they are a great team? If the Phoenix Suns would have stayed calm and collected they would have their 2 starters playing tonight.

The point is, it's their own falt for running on the floor and trying to get in the middle of something they had nothing to do with.

When you play in the NBA finals and don't expect physical toughness to be part of a game, you should not be playing at all!!!

Go SPURS Go
Stern_is_an_idio t

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
May 16, 2007
 
Proud Spurs Fan wrote:
<quoted text>
PLEASE JOHN SMITH COME BACK TO EARTH, PHOENIX MISSES YOU.
We are very proud of our spurs. They are not a dirty team or a nasty playing team! We as a community are as upset as you are, in reference to Robert Horry's actions in game 4. As a city 90% of us are ashamed of Horry's actions, but get over it...
The NBA made the right call, a rule is a rule! The coaches were shown pushing the 2 players in question back off the court, what more evidence do you need to prove they were aware of the consiquences? As for the question of the 2nd quarter, there was no confrontaion, the Spurs players were simply checking to make sure their team-mate was ok, as the Suns did in game 1 when Nash and Parker ran into each other. You have to admit it may not be fair, but rules are rules. San Antonio is not whining about Horry being ejected, or being suspended for game 6 and 7.
If you ask me I think Robert Horry may have even made the biggest shot in his career...There is no doubt this gives us the edge, and isn't that what you want in the NBA FINALS?
You guys should learn how to compose the role models of Phoenix. Did you hear the language they used coming off the floor in SA, and you say they are a great team? If the Phoenix Suns would have stayed calm and collected they would have their 2 starters playing tonight.
The point is, it's their own falt for running on the floor and trying to get in the middle of something they had nothing to do with.
When you play in the NBA finals and don't expect physical toughness to be part of a game, you should not be playing at all!!!
Go SPURS Go
Gee, where have I read this verbatim post before? Oh, yes, it is on every topic relating to the Suns vs the Spurs. Gotta love copy and paste.
TRACY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
May 16, 2007
 
STOUDEMIRE HAS HAD A CHIP ON HIS SHOULDER SINCE THE ALL STAR GAMES. YOU COULD SEE IT EVERY TIME HE LOOKED AT KOBE, HE WANTED THAT MVP AND DID NOT GET IT. NOW HIS PLAYING TIME IS CUT BECAUSE HE IS IN FOUL TROUBLE SO INSTEAD OF CORRECTING HIS OWN MISTAKE HE WHINES OUT LOUD ABOUT HOW DIRTY THE SPURS ARE. BO HOO. SOUNDED LIKE A BABY HE DID. NOW ALL THIS OTHER STUFF IS HAPPENING. AND DOES ANYONE REMEMBER LAST YEAR WASNT THAT BELL THAT GRABBED KOBE BY THE NECK, OH IT WAS THE SUNS DUH. DIRTY, WHOS DIRTY, I THINK ALL CAN BE AT TIMES, IT IS AN EMOTIONAL GAME. NOT GOING TO CHANGE STERNS MIND SO MIGHT AS WELL LIVE WITH IT. GOOOO LAKERS
CanadianGunner

Richmond, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
May 16, 2007
 
TRACY wrote:
STOUDEMIRE HAS HAD A CHIP ON HIS SHOULDER SINCE THE ALL STAR GAMES. YOU COULD SEE IT EVERY TIME HE LOOKED AT KOBE, HE WANTED THAT MVP AND DID NOT GET IT. NOW HIS PLAYING TIME IS CUT BECAUSE HE IS IN FOUL TROUBLE SO INSTEAD OF CORRECTING HIS OWN MISTAKE HE WHINES OUT LOUD ABOUT HOW DIRTY THE SPURS ARE. BO HOO. SOUNDED LIKE A BABY HE DID. NOW ALL THIS OTHER STUFF IS HAPPENING. AND DOES ANYONE REMEMBER LAST YEAR WASNT THAT BELL THAT GRABBED KOBE BY THE NECK, OH IT WAS THE SUNS DUH. DIRTY, WHOS DIRTY, I THINK ALL CAN BE AT TIMES, IT IS AN EMOTIONAL GAME. NOT GOING TO CHANGE STERNS MIND SO MIGHT AS WELL LIVE WITH IT. GOOOO LAKERS
THANK YOU FOR WRITING IN CAPITAL LETTERS. YOU HAVE CHANGED MY WORLD. GOOOO LAKERS... OH NEVERMIND, THEY'RE NOT IN THE PLAYOFFS, ARE THEY.
Long Time Fan No More

Cedar Knolls, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
May 17, 2007
 
As a (tortured) Knicks fan, my only interest in this series is as a basketball fan in general. I heard David Stern's interview yesterday and quite frankly, he sounded like a stubborn fool. He should have just come out and said it's a lousy rule that has now altered one (Knicks/Heat) and potentially a second playoff season and it needs to be changed.

Yes, it is a bright line rule with an easy decision but a terrible and grossly unfair result. Dan Patrick was 100% correct when he said that Horry and the Spurs were the instigators and they benefitted. Yes, it's difficult to predict a person's intent, but that is done all the time in society. The rule as applied in the playoffs creates such a draconian, playoff altering result, that the remedy is now worse than the problem it was designed to prevent. That is why it needs flexibility written into it.

And Stu(pid) Jackson can't be serious when he says that it's not a matter of fairness, it's a matter of correctness. The whole purpose of rules in the first place it to promote fairness. If he can't see that, he needs to find a new job.
Proud Spurs Fan

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
May 17, 2007
 
Long Time Fan No More wrote:
As a (tortured) Knicks fan, my only interest in this series is as a basketball fan in general. I heard David Stern's interview yesterday and quite frankly, he sounded like a stubborn fool. He should have just come out and said it's a lousy rule that has now altered one (Knicks/Heat) and potentially a second playoff season and it needs to be changed.
Yes, it is a bright line rule with an easy decision but a terrible and grossly unfair result. Dan
Patrick was 100% correct when he said that Horry and the Spurs were the instigators and they benefitted. Yes, it's difficult to predict a person's intent, but that is done all the time in society. The rule as applied in the playoffs creates such a draconian, playoff altering result, that the remedy is now worse than the problem it was designed to prevent. That is why it needs flexibility written into it.
And Stu(pid) Jackson can't be serious when he says that it's not a matter of fairness, it's a matter of correctness. The whole purpose of rules in the first place it to promote fairness. If he can't see that, he needs to find a new job.
Your crazy, how do you conclude the purpose if the rule is in fainess and not to contain situations/altercations from getting out of control? The honest truth is if it happened to your team your upset and if happend to the apposing team your not. Everyone needs to get over it, what is done is done. If anyone thinks the NBA has the Finals rigged and/or impartial to certain teams, you probably need to just stick to watching football.
Proud Spurs Fan

San Antonio, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
May 17, 2007
 
Stern_is_an_idiot wrote:
<quoted text>
Gee, where have I read this verbatim post before? Oh, yes, it is on every topic relating to the Suns vs the Spurs. Gotta love copy and paste.
Just puting a realistic prospective on the situation. Phoenix should consider doing the same.
TRACY

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
May 17, 2007
 
CanadianGunner wrote:
<quoted text>
THANK YOU FOR WRITING IN CAPITAL LETTERS. YOU HAVE CHANGED MY WORLD. GOOOO LAKERS... OH NEVERMIND, THEY'RE NOT IN THE PLAYOFFS, ARE THEY.
I HAD A STROKE CAN ONLY SEE IN UPPER CASING. NOW I CAN READ WITH ZOOM ON MY COMUPUTER BUT DOES NOT WORK IN THIS AREA. SO NOT SHOUTING JUST LIKE TO READ WHAT I WROTE. SORRY IF YOU THOUGHT I WAS SHOUTING. AND DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE ANYONES MIND, CAUSE NO ONE IS GONNA CHANGE MINE. AND YES WE ARE OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS BUT STILL A LAKER FAN FOREVER. GOOOO LAKERS

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Robert Horry Discussions

Search the Robert Horry Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ashlyn Horry Dead: Robert Horry's 17-Year-Old D... (Jun '11) Jun '11 agreed 16
Spurs Smother LeBron to Take Game 1 (Jun '07) Jun '09 Lakerland 7
Moore or Horry part of Lakers' plan? (Feb '09) Feb '09 kev 34
Lakers meet Parker halfway (May '08) May '08 max 4
Lakers turn right (May '08) May '08 corky 1
West, Chandler start for Hornets (May '08) May '08 josh 4
Horry sets mark (May '08) May '08 Cowboy 3
•••
•••
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••