Hiring D'Antoni the right decision

Full story: Newsday

It's about D'An time the Knicks got it right. A franchise guilty of constantly punching itself in the forehead finally made a good decision, a solid one, the correct one Saturday when it found the right guy to ...
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated May 12, 2008
LITTLE

Long Island City, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2008

Judged:

its great they hired a white coach now they have a white owner, president, and coach.
Bob

Venice, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2008

Judged:

"You see, Walsh smartly didn't get a coach to fit the current roster of misfits. He plans to get players to fit the coach. That's the proper logic."

I agree, well put. Some fans are concerned about how he would install his offense with the current roster, the answer is he won't be.

I think Zach Randolph won't be as hard to move as people think if they do intend to move him. Rasheed Wallace had one of the worst reps in the league but he found a home with a team on the cusp of a championship and helped put them over the top.

While Randolph isn't the as complete a player as Wallace, he does have the scoring ability and drive some contending teams need and I believe will garner some interest.

Curry might be harder to move as his heart problems are not only a medical condition.

Can't wait for the draft to see who Walsh/D'antoni select. Being a fan is becoming fun again. Hope it lasts.
Jc In Dunedin FL

New Port Richey, FL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2008

Judged:

Solution...would be win the lottery. It has happened before and if it happens this year it means Derrek Rose. Rose is the perfect fit for D'Antoni's system. He is the next Chris Paul. He can run with the best of them and he could instantly transform this team into a better ball club. It also allows them to buy out Starbury. YAY.
bill

Oneonta, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

Judged:

Good article, good writer. I agree. Unlike Vescey, who says it was a mistake because D'Antoni isn't the guy to reach the guys on this roster (who WANTS to reach THEM?. Just get them out of here!), Powell makes a good point that this hire is a signal that he is going to eventually completely overhaul this roster. And I think that if Walsh gets guys who want to play defense, then this team will play defense. Amarie in Pheonix didn't seem interested in defense. Nash is not a great defensive player. You coach what you have
Len Sheridan

Korea

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

Judged:

Okay, so the Knicks got a coach, but how will they overhaul the roster? Will any team want any of the current players? They finally got rid of Isaiah, now let's say goodbye to Starbury, who's the A-Rod of basketball. Great talent, but does a wonderful fade come crunch time.
Rosey

Little Rock, AR

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

Judged:

I think the Knicks make the right choice by hiring coach D'Antonio, he will bring excitement to the garden within two years; the knicks will get a good player in the draft, also make a few trades with some of their high salary players and don't be surprise the knicks will be a good defensive team once the make a few changes.
Metsfan4ever

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

Judged:

Nice move. D'Antoni is a legit winner and a good coach. This team needs a leader who can get his players on the same page and play within the scheme. He believes in a pass first point guard and a fast break style. I can tell you the Suns play a brand of basketball that's fun to watch. That's something the Knicks haven't done for many years.

As far as claims that he only coaches shooters and floor runners, he picked up Shaquille this year and played him in the middle with Stoudamire on the wing.

Now if he could hire a few assistants who are defensive stategists ( the next Thibodeaux type) and a big man coach ( can you say Ewing or Jabbar) then this team can start the journey back to respectability.

I hope they let Marbury, Rose and James contracts expire. It's time to really rebuild. Finally, I think guys like Crawford, Lil Nate, Lee, Balkman and Chandler are going to love this guy. If Q gets healthy, he starred in this offense with Phoenix. If Curry and Randolph lose 30 pounds of baby fat each, they might like him too.

Next stop, a solid GM and a lottery pick to build around. For today, Bravo Walsh!!!!!
georgewBUllSHit

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

Judged:

It feels good to know the little weasel and his destructive personality is gone. Better days are ahead
J-Knick

Versailles, France

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

Judged:

Bravissimo for hiring D'antoni, he will make the players look better and increase their trade value. Jax wouldn't have been able to do that and Isiah ... well he just buried them.
There is quality on this roster and mike is the guy that will show it!
Joe Winters

Meriden, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

Judged:

The only way any new guy is going to turn the Knicks around is if he is replacing the Dolans!
And the only hope is to get a player 7 feet tall, defense minded, with enough of an offensive presence to make the mediocre talent around him better. That was Patrick Ewing 20 years ago, and KG signed with the Celtics. The problem with The Knicks is that this 'savior' will have to play for the league minimum becaise the organization has sacrificed today for days long gone, and still have nothing to show for it.
Joe Winters

Meriden, CT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

Judged:

Because. B.e.c.a.u.s.e.
OK?
Third Watch

Waldwick, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 11, 2008

Judged:

Great hire. After the Thomas fiasco, this is a much welcome relief. Now the fun begins, overhauling the roster. Crawford, Robinson, Lee, Chandler and Balkman are the only players on the current roster who would thrive under D'antoni.
Too bad Marbury is the point guard by default, he has to shape up or ship out. Curry and his no rebounding, marshmallow defense needs to go along with Randolph for a combination of draft picks/role players. With the upcoming summer league schedule, take a look at a few shooters. a rebounder/defender who is not afraid to get dirty, make a good draft pick, a decent role player with the mid level exception. With the recent hires of Walsh and now D'antoni the Knick organization is on the right track.
Rob Enderle

Montréal, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 12, 2008

Judged:

My aunt is happy Jax didnt get the job: she kept telling us that she has more coaching experience than Jackson since she coaches a girls high school team.
And kudos to the grown man called "Donnie". I wasnt exactly sure about him since let's face it, the Pacers were the new Jailblazers these past 4 seasons, and he showed no sign of being able to get players who werent basket cases.
But this is a good thing. Heck, I heard someone say this morning that hes even has some unexplained good feeling about the teams luck with the ping pong ball.
You say "The Knicks are sorely lacking in entertainment value, in addition to being chronic losers. They're bad and boring".
And I agree. 100%.
I work 50-60 hrs a week and cherish the small amount of free time I have so I care the most about being ENTERTAINED for 7 months of the year.
I want to be able to sit down for 3 hrs (or 60mins if I tape the game and watch it when I get back home at midnight)
and enjoy myself.
THAT is why I watch sports.
And THAT is something that has been totally lost in sports.
Btw, please tell your colleagues that Dan Toni didnt 'bring a fun style of play back to the NBA'.
That was Adelman's Kings from the strike season of 99 until C-Webb's ego destroyed a team in 2004 which was first in the league when he came back from his injury).
Remember Divac, Pedja, Mrs.Christie, Webber and White Lightning?
They brought fun back in the NBA (The Mavs followed about 2-3 years later with Nelson, Nah, Dirk, Finley).
This has nothing to do with what Dan Toni has done and everything about how journalists are as bad as fans when it comes to short term memory.
Of course, now that the buzz has passed from the hiring, its time for the BIG job: gutting this putrid roster.
And I suggest you look at the Raptors when Toni's buddy Colangelo arrived: he got NINE new players. And he was handcuffed because american players think Toronto is in Siberia (even though it is exactly th same as any US city). A turnaround like that isnt going to be pretty this year but as my in law in Toronto tells me, when they got rid of that cancer Wince Carter and gutted the team, they might have lost their share of game that year but they felt the effort and the change and the following year they won the Atlantic JV division.
So its not fantasy. The Celtics's window is two years. Just about the time we should start noticing this shape take form.
Btw, Toronto has two PG's and one has to go. These arent the guys that will take the team to the top but will be good caretakers. Of course Ford is a porcelaine doll with a fragile psyche, not really a leader of men so i would go with the distributor, the selflless team player, the guy who has performed under pressure and won. Sure, Calderon looks like the pizza delivery guy but he will be a Picasso compared to Starbury.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Robert Horry Discussions

Search the Robert Horry Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
Ashlyn Horry Dead: Robert Horry's 17-Year-Old D... (Jun '11) Jun '11 agreed 16
Spurs Smother LeBron to Take Game 1 (Jun '07) Jun '09 Lakerland 7
Moore or Horry part of Lakers' plan? (Feb '09) Feb '09 kev 34
Lakers meet Parker halfway (May '08) May '08 max 4
Lakers turn right (May '08) May '08 corky 1
West, Chandler start for Hornets (May '08) May '08 josh 4
Horry sets mark (May '08) May '08 Cowboy 3
•••
•••